Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
The Wild! DVD issues
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum    Erasure Compilations    From Moscow To Mars An Erasure Anthology (2016)  ›  The Wild! DVD issues
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

The Wild! DVD issues  This thread currently has 4,126 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
opalfruit
December 17, 2016, 4:28am Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 13 hours 23 minutes
Hi all,

Just wanted to talk about the Wild! dvd from the box set and I apologise if this has already been brought up in the mega threads but is anyone else getting graphical glitches when watching? I seem to be getting random blocky glitches and green ghosting around Andy's arms during certain songs is this issues just on my copy or is it widespread?

Logged Offline
Private Message
glazball
December 17, 2016, 4:59am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 23 hours 30 minutes
I haven't watched it beginning to end yet, only a few tracks, and it looks great.  I didn't notice any issues at all.  Can you give us specific times or screenshots of what you're seeing?  Did you try the disc in a different player?

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 30
opalfruit
December 17, 2016, 5:21am Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Here are some screen shots of what I'm speaking about, it seems to happen with rapid movement mostly and happens in my LG Bluray player as well as streaming from my PC hard drive and from a USB to my tv so it's not the player and the issue is not present on my VHS rip.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 30
devoleb
December 17, 2016, 10:14am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
25 days 2 hours 42 minutes
...is it the same place/time/part every time or is it random spots?

My 'Here I Go Impossible' remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56CSYAG8aw
My 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' mashup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ozoXml76JU
My 'I Lose Myself' remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXVtrcNpw94
My 'When A Lover Leaves You' remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkYC6_en-E
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 30
NikacP0kac
December 17, 2016, 12:44pm Report to Moderator

Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 1 hours 27 minutes
Maybe it's due to your PC upscaling to a higher resolution than the DVD (DVD is usually 720x576, whereas the TV of today is probably 1920x1080, many glitches might occur during upscaling).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 30
mr first
December 17, 2016, 1:19pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 23 hours 40 minutes
Is that the full backstage footage on you tube the one with the Vince Clarke remix of waiting for the day I was hoping there was more
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 30
opalfruit
December 17, 2016, 2:13pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from NikacP0kac
Maybe it's due to your PC upscaling to a higher resolution than the DVD (DVD is usually 720x576, whereas the TV of today is probably 1920x1080, many glitches might occur during upscaling).

Doesn't happen with any other DVD though, not even Erasure ones (Innocents, Wonderland and Circus Remaster DVD's play glitch free)

Quoted Text
...is it the same place/time/part every time or is it random spots?

Same parts every time seems to be most times with rapid movement (fast hand gestures the kick's in Oh L'amour ect.)

I've since checked the DVD on a separate TV/DVD combi to eliminate my computer from the equation and the issue is still present.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 30
glazball
December 17, 2016, 3:07pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I just watched Oh L'amour and mine looks perfectly fine.  Well, aside from the fact that it's DVD when it should be on Blu-ray.  But that's a different discussion!  I didn't see any glitchiness.  When I ripped the audio (for my music library) I noticed it's a dual-layer DVD which some drives could have problems with (?).  Just a thought but I'm no expert.  You might try a standard just-made-for DVD player.

What part of the world are you in opalfruit?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 30
Pughie
December 17, 2016, 5:36pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
165 days 20 hours 35 minutes
Quoted from mr first
Is that the full backstage footage on you tube the one with the Vince Clarke remix of waiting for the day I was hoping there was more

It's selected footage the DVD is 15mins long

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 30
mr first
December 17, 2016, 5:53pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 23 hours 40 minutes
Quoted from Pughie

It's selected footage the DVD is 15mins long

Oh good that's worth the 90 pound alone the wild tour Is my favourite tour dare say it was better the the phantsmagorical tour imo
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 30
JSDOUVRES
December 17, 2016, 10:00pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 15 hours 13 minutes
I agree that the quality seems to be inferior to the Circus and Innocents live DVD reissues. I have a good quality tv and it is like watching a vhs in places. Seems strange that other people here say their copy's are perfect so perhaps a pressing problem? Wouldn't have thought so but who knows?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 30
Pughie
December 18, 2016, 1:22pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
165 days 20 hours 35 minutes
This could be the explanation for the Wild DVD glitches-
... it's caused by the frame conversion from 25FPS pal to the just incompatible NTSC... it's a long complicated spiel-but basically frames are merged to create new ones at the lower resolution but increased rate...it's not sure which method is worse, frame merge or frame repeat.... both are bad, but minimised by working in a higher definition and downscaling. If you let folk know, and enough of the EU members show a dissatisfaction, they may well produce a PAL version that will still look unrestored, but better than the smeary mess so that the fewer US Fans could benefit, and save the company a few quid!

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 30
opalfruit
December 18, 2016, 5:01pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pughie
This could be the explanation for the Wild DVD glitches-
... it's caused by the frame conversion from 25FPS pal to the just incompatible NTSC... it's a long complicated spiel-but basically frames are merged to create new ones at the lower resolution but increased rate...it's not sure which method is worse, frame merge or frame repeat.... both are bad, but minimised by working in a higher definition and downscaling. If you let folk know, and enough of the EU members show a dissatisfaction, they may well produce a PAL version that will still look unrestored, but better than the smeary mess so that the fewer US Fans could benefit, and save the company a few quid!

That's the only reason I can think of, being in the UK I have the "PAL" version but from watching it it really just looks like a poor conversion done by some bloke from his region free VHS/DVD combi. It's really annoying as I only bought the box set for the DVD, as like most here I already have high quality versions of most if not all of the songs included in the CDs.  It'd be nice if they gave us European fans a digitised copy of the PAL VHS since at least it'd look better than this and our own worn out VHS copies.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 30
The Violet Chorus
December 18, 2016, 7:52pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 hours 2 minutes
I watched a bit of this concert. I haven't seen it since the 1990s. The NEC concert on this tour was the first live concert I ever went to, so it should have special memories for me

I found it to be quite dated though, much much more than 1992 live which still looks fresh and well produced

I think the blurry effects were on the original. They put a lot of effects on it which contribute to it being dated, and the conversion not looking that great. Shame they didn't put the Tiny tour on the disc as well.

The backstage footage looked like it may have been from the Milton Keynes gig in 1990. I need to watch the rest of it. I know this concert appeared on YouTube a few years ago
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 30
glazball
December 18, 2016, 8:35pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
imo, any artifacts you might be seeing are almost certainly from your setup.  If you are watching on your computer, what refresh rate is your monitor set at?

I think its unfair to complain about the DVD being NTSC rather than PAL.  This is nothing new.  Total Pop! Deluxe and Tomorrow's World box (as well as DM's Sounds of the Universe box, Live in Berlin and Video Singles Collection) are all NTSC.  It's not just we US fans, but NTSC has been the worldwide DVD standard for a while and will continue to be so.  What we should be INSISTING on are HD releases in 1080p but Mute has dug in their heels on this it seems.  At least as far as DM goes, I read that Anton Corbijn won't allow anything higher than DVD resolution on his videos.  OK, whatever - it's ridiculous but they could still be released on Blu-Ray format!  Then, put as many others in 1080p as you can!!  It's freakin' 2016, almost 2017 for pete's sake.  They should have given the Wild! Tour the same HD treatment.  I have a strong feeling that this DVD was made a long time ago with the intention of being included with a Wild! remaster / reissue.  Did they scrap the album re-issues (CD + DVD) and just include it here?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 30
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread