I Say I Say I Say (2021 remaster)

A cartoon Erasure visit an enchanted forest
JSchultz

Re: I Say I Say I Say (2021 remaster)

Post by JSchultz »

I am not seeing it streaming anywhere in the usa, but maybe i am not looking hard enough.

moxxey

Post by moxxey »

Rod wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 2:06 pm Apple music Canada doesn't not have this remastered version, but Spotify does? That is so weird!
It's not on the UK version of Spotify but *is* on Apple Music.

ben

Post by ben »

This might be the first day that Abba and Erasure released an album on the sae day, strangely enough the Erasure one is a re-relase

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

Received my I Say CDs (and t-shirt!) yesterday and I'm quite happy with the set. Of course, I wish it were 8 discs with a 4K Blu-ray, but all in all I think Mute/BMG did a good job on this set. I admit that I am biased towards anything I Say, as it's simply one of my favorite albums of all time, by any band. These songs bring back so many wonderful memories and still bring me such happiness today. My brothers & sisters in the Take Me Back Appreciation Fan Club know what I'm talking about!

Disc 1
The album remaster sounds good, not too loud, and no major complaints. I am happy that they didn't waste space on CD1 and included the b-sides. However, I do have to nitpick that in my mind, Tragic (without vocals) will "always" be the original version, a phantasmagorical instrumental that almost brings to life the beautiful spring scenery of the Always single artwork. At the time, that single was our first and only taste of the new original material to come, after Chorus + ABBA-Esque. For this set, they chose to run Tragic (Live Vocal) first - again, a minor nitpick - but that has always been an alternate version to me, though I love Andy's vocals. All of that aside... disc 1 includes some of Erasure's best music, EVER. 16 amazing tracks!

Disc 2
1. Always (Extended Mix) - it's obvious some kind soul at the label put some thought into this track listing. This extended mix of Always is simply one of the best mixes we've ever seen from Erasure. It's just perfect, and a perfect first track for disc 2.
2. I Love Saturday (Ian Levine Remix) - one of 2 new totally new tracks. I'm happy to hear it and any unearthed mix from the vaults is certainly a treat. Can't say I'm in love with the mix itself, but as a longtime fan I'm happy to have it!
3. RttS (Beatmasters Intergalactic Mix) - well now my US promo is obsolete, but happy to have it officially now.
4. Always (Cappella Club Remix Edit) - I cannot find any other reference to this edit (maybe it appeared on some random electro compilation somewhere?) but again, very happy to have it
5. & 6. BBC sessions - of course we've heard these with the UTTON collection. These do sound cleaner of course, but miss the chatter before each track. I feel like, again, Mute/BMG did a great thing by releasing these pleasant, clean versions. These are the kinds of tracks that we always seem to gripe about them NOT including!
7. Siempre - good for variety but we've had this version for ages and officially since FM2M
8. RttS (Set The Controls...) - nothing new here
9. I Love Saturday (Demo) - the variety is nice if you are a causal fan picking up this deluxe set. For the rest of us, nothing new here
10. & 11. Jools Holland sessions - we have these on the Total Pop! DVD, so they give us the audio. OK, not the end of the world but now I start to wonder... couldn't they have gotten some new mixes or something?? Still, these are nice performances and I love these!
12. Always (Acoustic) - kind of rare for the average fan I suppose, but nothing new. There are 5 versions of Always on this disc. This should have been a 3CD set!
13. So The Story Goes (Choral Mix) - this is just a voxless version, but it's totally new. And it sounds amazing! I always loved the way this song and Siren Song sound, so haunting!
14. ILS (Flower Mix) - old mix
15. RttS (The Diss-Cuss Mix) - another great example of Mute/BMG listening! This mix finally appears on CD. Thank you! Now unfortunately I don't really love the mix. It's ok and certainly not an awful butchering of a beloved Erasure track such as...
16. Always (X Dub Cut Full Length Version) - yep, still as awful as ever. The collector in me admits I am happy this never-before-released long version has been officially released. At least it was included at the end of CD2, so that you can shut it off early and not feel guilty about missing anything.

Overall, the package looks great and I think they did a great job with presentation. Though I do wish we would have gotten more "new" stuff, there is a lot here that has never been released on CD. I hope they keep the deluxe editions going with Erasure and Cowboy.
Rating: 50%

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC »

Fabulous, in-depth analysis, mrblue!! Thanks for sharing!! 😎

kwerty

Post by kwerty »

mrblue wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:46 pmI hope they keep the deluxe editions going with Erasure and Cowboy.
I've wondered about that. My suspicion for a long time has been that Erasure may be the last of the re-releases.

If the point in the first place is to re-release the albums digitally remastered, then eventually they will catch up with a time when the albums are digitally mastered to begin with so don't need redoing. I think the first of those albums *might* be Cowboy - two years after it was released, they began the first in the series of remasters with EBX1 and EBX2.

Of course that could also mean Loveboat is the first digitally mastered album and so won't need redoing with a re-release, which would be ironic considering it's the one album many fans are crying out for to be remastered! (although what they actually want is for it to be reworked and remixed - I doubt remastering will 'fix' what they don't like about it).

If the point now though is to find ways of getting us to part with our money, then I'm sure they will continue for a few more albums. It's probably going to depend on what they've got that they can put onto the bonus disc, and it gets increasingly doubtful that there's much there I think.

But if not the Erasure album, then Cowboy could be the last in the series. Maybe it doesn't need remastering, but it might be worth it if they can package it with the Tiny Tour on DVD!
Last edited by kwerty on Tue Nov 16, 2021 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

Perhaps it would be better to start an Erasure Deluxe Edition speculation thread. I hope Erasure won't be the last! I'm less concerned about "remastering" since Erasure and Cowboy already sound just fine. It's the extras that we (ok... *I*) want. I think the main concern is that Erasure's popularity plummeted (at least, in the US) after I Say. So, even if Mute/BMG put together an awesome deluxe edition, I know they are certainly thinking and/or expecting that it will not sell very well. I hope they don't decide to stop with I Say using that rationale.

As to what would be on an Erasure Deluxe Edition - most of the tracks have NEVER been touched. Not live, not as demos, remixes or gotten any love at all. I'm thinking of tracks like Rescue Me, Grace, Love The Way You Do So, Angel, I Love You and A Long Goodbye. That's most of the album right there. We don't need a mindless house dance mix of Grace, but demos would be nice (OTHER THAN the two on Buried Treasure!) or some new or unreleased mixes. Even on Buried Treasure II, the Erasure album just gets completely skipped over.

I hope they can work some magic for Erasure. The possibilities are endless and that album certainly deserves better!

billyburg129

Post by billyburg129 »

I do hope they give Erasure the first class treatment. I'd love to see a remix by GRN. What he did with Am I Right was just perfect.

chemicalboy

Post by chemicalboy »

mrblue wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 1:46 pm Received my I Say CDs (and t-shirt!) yesterday and I'm quite happy with the set. Of course, I wish it were 8 discs with a 4K Blu-ray, but all in all I think Mute/BMG did a good job on this set. I admit that I am biased towards anything I Say, as it's simply one of my favorite albums of all time, by any band. These songs bring back so many wonderful memories and still bring me such happiness today. My brothers & sisters in the Take Me Back Appreciation Fan Club know what I'm talking about!

Disc 1
The album remaster sounds good, not too loud, and no major complaints. I am happy that they didn't waste space on CD1 and included the b-sides. However, I do have to nitpick that in my mind, Tragic (without vocals) will "always" be the original version, a phantasmagorical instrumental that almost brings to life the beautiful spring scenery of the Always single artwork. At the time, that single was our first and only taste of the new original material to come, after Chorus + ABBA-Esque. For this set, they chose to run Tragic (Live Vocal) first - again, a minor nitpick - but that has always been an alternate version to me, though I love Andy's vocals. All of that aside... disc 1 includes some of Erasure's best music, EVER. 16 amazing tracks!

Disc 2
1. Always (Extended Mix) - it's obvious some kind soul at the label put some thought into this track listing. This extended mix of Always is simply one of the best mixes we've ever seen from Erasure. It's just perfect, and a perfect first track for disc 2.
2. I Love Saturday (Ian Levine Remix) - one of 2 new totally new tracks. I'm happy to hear it and any unearthed mix from the vaults is certainly a treat. Can't say I'm in love with the mix itself, but as a longtime fan I'm happy to have it!
3. RttS (Beatmasters Intergalactic Mix) - well now my US promo is obsolete, but happy to have it officially now.
4. Always (Cappella Club Remix Edit) - I cannot find any other reference to this edit (maybe it appeared on some random electro compilation somewhere?) but again, very happy to have it
5. & 6. BBC sessions - of course we've heard these with the UTTON collection. These do sound cleaner of course, but miss the chatter before each track. I feel like, again, Mute/BMG did a great thing by releasing these pleasant, clean versions. These are the kinds of tracks that we always seem to gripe about them NOT including!
7. Siempre - good for variety but we've had this version for ages and officially since FM2M
8. RttS (Set The Controls...) - nothing new here
9. I Love Saturday (Demo) - the variety is nice if you are a causal fan picking up this deluxe set. For the rest of us, nothing new here
10. & 11. Jools Holland sessions - we have these on the Total Pop! DVD, so they give us the audio. OK, not the end of the world but now I start to wonder... couldn't they have gotten some new mixes or something?? Still, these are nice performances and I love these!
12. Always (Acoustic) - kind of rare for the average fan I suppose, but nothing new. There are 5 versions of Always on this disc. This should have been a 3CD set!
13. So The Story Goes (Choral Mix) - this is just a voxless version, but it's totally new. And it sounds amazing! I always loved the way this song and Siren Song sound, so haunting!
14. ILS (Flower Mix) - old mix
15. RttS (The Diss-Cuss Mix) - another great example of Mute/BMG listening! This mix finally appears on CD. Thank you! Now unfortunately I don't really love the mix. It's ok and certainly not an awful butchering of a beloved Erasure track such as...
16. Always (X Dub Cut Full Length Version) - yep, still as awful as ever. The collector in me admits I am happy this never-before-released long version has been officially released. At least it was included at the end of CD2, so that you can shut it off early and not feel guilty about missing anything.

Overall, the package looks great and I think they did a great job with presentation. Though I do wish we would have gotten more "new" stuff, there is a lot here that has never been released on CD. I hope they keep the deluxe editions going with Erasure and Cowboy.
Fine Review 8-) . Fine Quote - My brothers & sisters in the Take Me Back Appreciation Fan Club know what I'm talking about! :party:

Uttering Rubbish and Associating Words.......

Return to “I Say I Say I Say (1994) (2021 Remaster)”