Print Topic - Archive

erasure4rum  /  Other Bands/Artists  /  ABBA Reunite
Posted by: Mikegrate, April 27, 2018, 11:53am
Oh my giddy aunt !

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43924609
Posted by: glazball, April 27, 2018, 3:05pm; Reply: 1
They need to do some Erasure covers and release an Erasure-esque EP!  I mean, it's only fair ;)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, April 27, 2018, 10:51pm; Reply: 2
Wow!! Korea War over and ABBA New material, I was losing faith in the world and now the future is bright again
Posted by: Tin Soldier, April 28, 2018, 6:40am; Reply: 3
At this rate, we'll have dodos resurrected and ready for adoption in no time.  ;)
Posted by: AIRAZUR, April 28, 2018, 9:16am; Reply: 4
Quoted from glazball
They need to do some Erasure covers and release an Erasure-esque EP!  I mean, it's only fair ;)

The Australian cover band (and ABBA impersonators) BJÖRN AGAIN already did that with "Erasure-Ish" in 1992 !

Posted by: Mikedepaz, April 28, 2018, 7:30pm; Reply: 5
In reading ABBA history, it was Australia that embraced and launched their careers in 1977. Abbamania was started Down Under   ;D
Posted by: devoleb, April 29, 2018, 6:54am; Reply: 6
Looking forward to hear what comes out of the reunion.......Loooove ABBA :-)
Posted by: Tin Soldier, April 29, 2018, 5:57pm; Reply: 7
To play devil's advocate for a moment, I'm wondering if there is another financial side to this story. It's just so often the case that a new need for money is the impetus for these things.

Of course, tucking my horns away and hanging up the pitchfork, I hope that wasn't a factor here. :)
Posted by: moxxey, April 29, 2018, 9:23pm; Reply: 8
Quoted from Tin Soldier
To play devil's advocate for a moment, I'm wondering if there is another financial side to this story. It's just so often the case that a new need for money is the impetus for these things.

New need for money? Do you know how much ABBA still receives in royalties each year?
Posted by: devoleb, April 29, 2018, 9:28pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Of course, tucking my horns away and hanging up the pitchfork, I hope that wasn't a factor here. :)

Just read....in 2013 Agnetha had about 16.000.000 USD while Frida had about 2.440.852.000 USD....don't think Björn and Benny ever will need money!!
Posted by: devoleb, April 29, 2018, 9:30pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from moxxey

New need for money? Do you know how much ABBA still receives in royalties each year?

Agnetha received in 2013 about 1.5 mill. USD in ABBA royalties
Posted by: Tin Soldier, April 29, 2018, 11:21pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from moxxey

Quoted from devoleb
Just read....in 2013 Agnetha had about 16.000.000 USD while Frida had about 2.440.852.000 USD....don't think Björn and Benny ever will need money!!

Quoted from devoleb
Agnetha received in 2013 about 1.5 mill. USD in ABBA royalties

I'm stunned that neither of you knew that Frida took up daytrading and Agnetha bets on the races. :P
Posted by: Mikedepaz, April 30, 2018, 1:22am; Reply: 12
This is also the same band that turned down 1 Billion dollars from a Chinese promoter back in 2000.
Posted by: glazball, April 30, 2018, 1:33pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from AIRAZUR

The Australian cover band (and ABBA impersonators) BJÖRN AGAIN already did that with "Erasure-Ish" in 1992 !

Oh I have the Bjorn Again release, and that doesn't count!  I want ABBA themselves to cover Erasure!

I know the chances of that happening are basically zero, but it's fun to think about.  I've seen Erasure credited for the resurgence of ABBA's popularity, and it would be great to see them return the favor, so to speak ;)  Even if they just did one Erasure cover, I'd be happy!
Posted by: ben, April 30, 2018, 8:36pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from glazball

Oh I have the Bjorn Again release, and that doesn't count!  I want ABBA themselves to cover Erasure!

I know the chances of that happening are basically zero, but it's fun to think about.  I've seen Erasure credited for the resurgence of ABBA's popularity, and it would be great to see them return the favor, so to speak ;)  Even if they just did one Erasure cover, I'd be happy!

Indeed, if only they covered A Little Respect or Sometimes, Erasure may perhaps have a chance to get the recognition they deserve.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, April 30, 2018, 9:24pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from ben
Indeed, if only they covered A Little Respect or Sometimes, Erasure may perhaps have a chance to get the recognition they deserve.

I was about to chime in with another Phantom Bride reference, as I'm wont to do to amuse myself, but, in all seriousness, that would actually work as a cover; wouldn't it? Lyrically, it could even be split for a duet. I'd hate to think that the Bjorn Again ep is nixing any idea of Erasure covers, though.
Posted by: glazball, May 1, 2018, 7:49pm; Reply: 16
I think you're right Tin.  ABBA's version of Phantom Bride will be excellent.  Yes, I said "will", not "would"!
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 2, 2018, 4:48am; Reply: 17
Welcome to the faith. 8)
Posted by: kwerty, May 2, 2018, 8:28am; Reply: 18
They should do 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'.

(and I mean of course the Chorus B-side, not the Wizard Of Oz song)
Posted by: devoleb, May 2, 2018, 12:37pm; Reply: 19
Maybe the could cover Erasures version of 'Lay All Your Love On Me'  :P
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 2, 2018, 4:23pm; Reply: 20
Agnetha and Frida dressed as Vince and Andy for the video would be a hoot.
Posted by: glazball, May 2, 2018, 5:14pm; Reply: 21
Quoted from kwerty
They should do 'Somewhere Over The Rainbow'.

(and I mean of course the Chorus B-side, not the Wizard Of Oz song)

Effing brilliant!!  Great choice =D  (fwiw, the b-side is simply 'Over the Rainbow')
Posted by: kwerty, May 2, 2018, 10:34pm; Reply: 22
Quoted from glazball
...Great choice...

Yeah.. if for no other reason than I'd just like to hear ABBA sing the line "We listen to Agneta, Anne-Frid, Benny and Björn."

Posted by: glazball, May 3, 2018, 3:33pm; Reply: 23
That would be incredible kwerty!  I'm upset that I didn't think of that one myself ;)

So we've got 2 tracks for ABBA's Erasure-esque EP:
1. Phantom Bride
2. Over the Rainbow

What other tracks would be great with the ABBA treatment?  I'm leaning towards Push Me Shove Me, Sunday Girl and Drama!
Posted by: kwerty, May 3, 2018, 9:35pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from glazball
1. Phantom Bride
2. Over the Rainbow

Wellllll..... I was only jokingly suggesting 'Over The Rainbow' for that one line in the song. Other than that, it is actually probably one of my least
favourite Erasure songs, so I don't think I'd seriously want ABBA to cover it.

But if we are being serious about this (and I know we are!), then if it's going to happen it would probably have to be with something more well
known than obscure b-side and album tracks. So really we're talking singles.

I'd try to avoid A Little Respect though - it's a bit obvious and has been covered to death already, plus it might be too close to the Bjorn Again
thing. Which could rule out Stop! as well. Besides, ABBA doing ALR would be like Erasure doing Dancing Queen, which they didn't do.

So really, I think it would have to be something like:

1. Chains Of Love
2. Always
3. Blue Savannah
4. Love To Hate You
Posted by: kwerty, May 3, 2018, 9:44pm; Reply: 25
On the other hand, if I was going to be slightly less obvious about the choice of singles, and pick something that could work as ABBA songs,
I think my personal suggestions (subject to me changing my mind at any time), would be:

1. It Doesn't Have To Be
2. Breath Of Life
3. The Circus
4. Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summers Day)
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 4, 2018, 2:42am; Reply: 26
Quoted from kwerty
But if we are being serious about this (and I know we are!), then if it's going to happen it would probably have to be with something more well
known than obscure b-side and album tracks. So really we're talking singles.

Please don't pretend you didn't expect to have your face rubbed in this. ;)

Posted by: glazball, May 4, 2018, 5:03pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from kwerty

Wellllll..... I was only jokingly suggesting 'Over The Rainbow' for that one line in the song. Other than that, it is actually probably one of my least
favourite Erasure songs, so I don't think I'd seriously want ABBA to cover it.

Whaaa??  I love that b-side (OK, I love all the Chorus-era b-sides though).  I think it's catchy and poppy enough for ABBA, and in my mind I can even picture them changing the one line to "We listen to Vincent Clarke, Andy Bell, Emma and Val".  It could work!

I also thought The Circus would make for a good ABBA cover :)
Posted by: kwerty, May 13, 2018, 2:27pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Please don't pretend you didn't expect to have your face rubbed in this. ;)

I kind of expected you would respond. You fell into my trap! So let me rub your face in this :)

The Phantom Bride EP was technically NOT a single. It's why they call it an EP.

Aside from just its duration, it contained too many songs to be classed as a single, but not enough to be classed as an album.
An EP is basically just a loosely defined format which doesn't fit those categories (hence it not being eligible for the charts in either category).

It is no more a single than Martin Gore's Counterfeit EP was a single.

It was basically 'The Innocents Remixed' in all but name (except for the promo which was called 'The Innocents Remixed').
They just chose to lead with Phantom Bride as the title track to hoodwink us into thinking they'd finally released it as that mythical fourth single we all imagined.

It was a clever marketing gimmick which tapped into the wish-fulfillment dreams of the fandom.

I was like the Emperor's new clothes. And you fell for it hook, line and sinker! :p

But I loved that they did it, and I wish they'd done something similar alongside the Circus and Wonderland remasters.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 13, 2018, 7:45pm; Reply: 29
One moment. Have to grab the Purell before steepling my fingers maniacally...there we go.

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA. "TRAP" YOU SAY?

No, my dear misinformed Jamie, it "technically" was a single, for, since you missed it, it has the MUTE catalogue number, and NOT the STUMM one, as Martin's EP had!

A-HA!

Even more, the "E.P." was a latter revision to the original art and title as you can easily confirm from the promos issued beforehand shown on Discogs (heretofore known as exhibit "B"). PB was a single from the start.

The "E.P." was added to justify the increased pricing compared to other CD5"s. You know quite well that there have been many a CD5" to feature so long a tracklist and remain a single. Plus, many more anchored by an album version of the title track with all others being mixes or versions of others, and still not carry the moniker of "E.P."...despite what some may think.

And don't you come at me with Crackers International. That was E Mute 93 to begin with. E as in EP, or erroneous.

No, while you dangle your feet, it is I who is the keeper of all things Erasure who others, having actual lives, can't be bothered about. Yes, I have an Erasure anorak, and it's from the Erasure Show tour.

Oddly enough, PB is the 420th single from Mute. Perhaps a prophecy that you were smoking something when you thought to besmirch the beauty that is Phantom Bride?

I'll let the jury decide.

;)
Posted by: glazball, May 16, 2018, 6:17pm; Reply: 30
This jury member will chime in with: yes, Phantom Bride is a single, only released on an EP instead of a "single".

I considered Abba-esque an EP, not a single, but when compiling a list of b-sides, the consensus here is that since Take a Chance on Me was a single, all the other tracks are therefore b-sides.  I disagree, but deferred to the collective.

By that same token, I don't consider Crackers International a single, but an EP with equally weighted tracks (just like Abba-esque or Counterfeit EP).  Of course, Stop! is a single and the consensus now is that all the other CI tracks are "b-sides."

And to follow that through, it's obvious that Phantom Bride was released as a single in 2009, but the Phantom Bride EP is (imo) not a "single" but an EP, just like CI and Abba-esque.  The track listing does follow "single" guidelines more than a typical EP though, with all the mixes.  Maybe Mute should have just left the "EP" moniker off the end of the Phantom Bride release.
Posted by: dcd747, May 16, 2018, 6:24pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from glazball

Effing brilliant!!  Great choice =D  (fwiw, the b-side is simply 'Over the Rainbow')

In fact, so is the song from The Wizard of Oz.  It's one of those songs that's simply come to be known by the wrong name over the years (see: Happy Birthday to You).
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 16, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from glazball
This jury member will chime in with: yes, Phantom Bride is a single, only released on an EP instead of a "single"...

Just a few more of us, and I think we can register as a political party.
Posted by: ben, May 16, 2018, 7:22pm; Reply: 33
I don't see Phantom Bride as a single, there was no video and the two included remixes were complete rubbish. I will only accept it as a single if it gets a proper remix that really fits the song
and if it gets a proper b-side. That is my opinion, however I also like a healthy argument....  ;)
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 16, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from ben
I don't see Phantom Bride as a single, there was no video and the two included remixes were complete rubbish.

Oh, I could really start an argument if I cited other singles that was true of.

...and they were still singles. ;)

...oh, and PB is still ABBA-worthy (steered back OT).
Posted by: glazball, May 16, 2018, 9:32pm; Reply: 35
Damn, now I'm starting to doubt myself.  Was Phantom Bride really a single, or just a featured track that had an EP named after it??  Though it did get the MUTE single-style catalog number (MUTE420), the song itself didn't seem to be intended for radio play.  In addition, it was not included on the Singles discs in the From Moscow to Mars box set.

Put me down now for "quasi-single."  It was never a (radio) single but instead a (physical) single, which was perhaps wrongly classified as an EP.

My little world is collapsing lol!  Sorry to further derail this thread!
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 16, 2018, 9:56pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from glazball
Damn, now I'm starting to doubt myself.  Was Phantom Bride really a single, or just a featured track that had an EP named after it??  Though it did get the MUTE single-style catalog number (MUTE420), the song itself didn't seem to be intended for radio play.  In addition, it was not included on the Singles discs in the From Moscow to Mars box set.

Put me down now for "quasi-single."  It was never a (radio) single but instead a (physical) single, which was perhaps wrongly classified as an EP.

My little world is collapsing lol!  Sorry to further derail this thread!

Quisling!

Go look at the promos that preceded it! No "E.P." to be found, and don't tell me those didn't get to radio.

As for FMTM, I have disowned it. Publicly. I may burn my passport.

Probably not.

8)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, May 17, 2018, 1:31am; Reply: 37
The expert on this subject has spoke- drops mic  ;D
Posted by: glazball, May 17, 2018, 4:35pm; Reply: 38
... for the sake of a fun, healthy argument...  err, debate....  I'll move this to another thread!
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 17, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 39
People had better know what's good for them. Just sayin'...

8)
Posted by: Pughie, May 19, 2018, 7:56am; Reply: 40
While you wish for ABBA to return feast your eyes on this performance of Voulez Vous,apparently Benny & Bjorn are also in the clip but I couldn’t find them I was transfixed on Agnetha & Frida

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PoXKp6qeHBs
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 19, 2018, 1:37pm; Reply: 41
Brave women.

No matter how good you look, there's no woman I know who would feel completely comfortable in such attire on television. In fact, Frida looks like she's hiding behind Bjorn near the end there. :)
Posted by: ben, May 19, 2018, 8:53pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Oh, I could really start an argument if I cited other singles that was true of.

...and they were still singles. ;)

...oh, and PB is still ABBA-worthy (steered back OT).

Phantom Bride is most definitely Abba worthy, it is an amazing song that deserved a much better release, and certainly it should have been released in 1988 not many years later.
I doubt it will ever be on a Singles Collection.....
Posted by: Mikedepaz, May 19, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 43
I'm sure Michael can convince the ABBA gang to rework this in the near future ;D
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 20, 2018, 5:22am; Reply: 44
"...and a wan, and a too, and a tree."
Posted by: Mikedepaz, May 20, 2018, 11:05am; Reply: 45
Michael wil show up to Polar Studios with Sonet release rights in hand. Here, I did all the leg work for you- ;D
Posted by: Tin Soldier, May 20, 2018, 1:56pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Michael wil show up to Polar Studios with Sonet release rights in hand. Here, I did all the leg work for you- ;D

Sony/ATV!

Are you feeling ok? :P
Print page generated: December 19, 2018, 6:22am