Print Topic - Archive

erasure4rum  /  From Moscow To Mars An Erasure Anthology (2016)  /  Single versions?
Posted by: DirkM, December 31, 2017, 10:17pm
I'm thinking about picking up this set, as all I have are the original albums.  Are all of the singles here present in their original mixes, or are they the album versions?
Posted by: Pughie, January 1, 2018, 12:29am; Reply: 1
Quoted from DirkM
I'm thinking about picking up this set, as all I have are the original albums.  Are all of the singles here present in their original mixes, or are they the album versions?

It’s a mixture of single edits some album versions check through the other album threads for more comments

Posted by: AIRAZUR, January 6, 2018, 7:53am; Reply: 2
Quoted from DirkM

You should buy the singles compilation "Total Pop! The First 40 Hits", thus you would have most of the single mixes !  ;)

The single mixes are different from the album versions for "Oh l'Amour", "Sometimes", "It Doesn't Have to Be", "Victim of Love", "The Circus", "Chains of Love", "Star", "Breath of Life", "Who Needs Love Like That" (Hamburg mix).

For a few songs, the mixes are the same, but equalizations (balance between trebles/medium & bass) differs from the album versions : "Ship of Fools", "A Little Respect", "You Surround Me", "Chorus" and "Love to Hate You"
Posted by: kwerty, January 6, 2018, 5:27pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from AIRAZUR
equalizations (balance between trebles/medium & bass) differs from the album versions : "Ship of Fools", "A Little Respect", "Chorus" and "Love to Hate You"

I can't say I've noticed those differences on those songs. If they are there at all I doubt they were intentional and are perhaps just differences you've heard because of the format they are on or as a result of mastering.

'You Surround Me' on the overhand is very definitely a different mix as I recall, and features minor musical and vocal additions not present in the album version.

NOTE: This is NOT a guide to which versions are on 'Moscow To Mars', just an attempt to list different singles versions. So don't buy it based purely on this!)

I can't remember which versions of 'Run To The Sun' and 'I Love Saturday' made it onto any of the singles compilations, but there was definitely edited versions on the original singles.

'Stay With Me', 'Fingers & Thumbs' and 'Rock Me Gently' are of course different from their album versions to varying degrees (aside from being shorter!).

'In My Arms' is slightly different from the UK album mix in so much as the single fades out where the album version reaches an end point (and the US version is different again).

'Rain' and 'Moon & The Sky' are very obviously remixes, and 'Freedom' and 'Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)' were edits.

'Breathe'*, 'Don't Say You Love Me' and 'Here I Go Impossible' are all slightly different mixes from their album counterparts, and 'All This Time Still Falling Out Of Love' is a different recording entirely I believe.

'I Could Fall In Love With You' is a very different mix to what appears on the album, 'Sunday Girl' is kind of an edit* and 'Storm In A Teacup' is remixed a little.

There was also a single edit of 'Sucker For Love' which, apart from on the 7" picture disc from which it originates, can ONLY be found on the 'From Moscow To Mars' box-set.

I think the single version of 'When I Start To Break It All Down' is an edit (or there was one anyway)*, and both 'Be With You' and 'Fill Us With Fire' were remixed for their single versions.

...and now I'm a little bit hazy on the differences between single and album versions since those :)

*In some of these instances there were versions which could be regarded as 'radio' and/or 'video' mixes, but what made it onto the actual CD single may have been the album versions, and it's these that then may have been picked out to use on compilations. With 'I Love Saturday', the 'edit' appeared on one of the CD singles and the full-length album version appeared on one of the other CDs. I'm not sure what made it onto compilations.

Incidentally, the original single mix of 'The Circus' has never been released on CD or a singles compilation - the version that appeared on 'Pop - 20 Hits' and any subsequent compilation has always been the 'video' mix (I suspect Mute has 'forgot' about - or lost! - the version that was on the original 7")

Posted by: MikeyC, January 7, 2018, 10:21pm; Reply: 4
I LOVE the single version of "Don't Say You Love Me"!! (and I often skip the album version, but don't tell anyone!!)  8)
Posted by: gabila100, January 8, 2018, 12:32am; Reply: 5
I think the biggest change in turning a song from the album version to single version is Rock Me Gently.  I love the single edit.
Not a big fan of the American single mix of In My Arms. They totally butchered Vince's beautiful middle eight part.  Same goes with the second single version of Don't Say Your Love Is Killing Me, the one that has slightly different lyrics.
Posted by: kwerty, January 8, 2018, 1:25am; Reply: 6
Quoted from gabila100
I think the biggest change in turning a song from the album version to single version is Rock Me Gently.

So not 'Moon & The Sky'?

Posted by: synthpopfan, January 8, 2018, 2:34am; Reply: 7
Quoted from gabila100
Not a big fan of the American single mix of In My Arms. They totally butchered Vince's beautiful middle eight part.

Nah... The US version is far superior. That middle section - melodically
speaking - was dogshit. The sparse section gives the song much needed
room to breathe and reflect sonically.

It is the only version I listen to.
Posted by: gabila100, January 8, 2018, 3:11am; Reply: 8
Quoted from kwerty

So not 'Moon & The Sky'?

That one is also a big one, but thinking that cutting down from 10 minutes to 4 minutes song and totally re-orchestrating Rock Me Gently really impressed me.
Posted by: gabila100, January 8, 2018, 3:12am; Reply: 9
Quoted from synthpopfan

Nah... The US version is far superior. That middle section - melodically
speaking - was dogshit. The sparse section gives the song much needed
room to breathe and reflect sonically.

It is the only version I listen to.

Waiting for a combined version of the UK and US edits will do justice to the beautiful In My Arms song.
Posted by: ben, January 8, 2018, 9:31pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from kwerty

So not 'Moon & The Sky'?

The single version of that one was dreadful. I love the album version so much, and was devastated when I heard that horrible single remake. I almost forgot about that stinker until you opened up old wounds and put salt into them  ;)
Posted by: little_shane, February 17, 2018, 6:05pm; Reply: 11
chorus promo 12inch 125  
can any tell me if there are fade outs of the promo of this  

I think some one posted a long time ago  that one of the tracks fade out....

don't know if any one knows
Posted by: DaveKCMO, February 20, 2018, 3:40am; Reply: 12
Also missing from Mars: The "Single Mix" of Sexuality, which can only be found on the original single itself and the EBX set.  ;)
Posted by: glazball, February 20, 2018, 4:26pm; Reply: 13
I would say that is just the regular b-side version of Sexuality, not a "Single Mix" since it was never a single.  The Sometimes single was released before The Circus album, and the album version of Sexuality is different.

We saw the same thing happen with Push Me, Shove Me.  The original is on the WNLLT single but the version that appeared on Wonderland is an edit of the Tacos Mix.  (imo the original PMSM is one of Erasure's best b-sides even to this day!)
Posted by: little_shane, February 20, 2018, 5:24pm; Reply: 14
so is the push me shove single is on any of the cds  is the singles box set with push me shove is the same as the single   if that all makes sence
Posted by: little_shane, February 20, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 15
I wonder how many edits there is of stay with me
Posted by: kwerty, February 20, 2018, 7:01pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from little_shane
so is the push me shove single is on any of the cds  is the singles box set with push me shove is the same as the single   if that all makes sence

Yes. The original 'b'-side single version of 'Push Me, Shove Me' is in the EBX1 singles box set on the 'Who Needs Love Like That' disc - which is also now available on iTunes to download (and maybe other places - I haven't checked).
Posted by: little_shane, February 20, 2018, 7:13pm; Reply: 17
thank you
Posted by: kwerty, February 20, 2018, 7:16pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from little_shane
I wonder how many edits there is of stay with me

Of the album version?

There are two versions to my knowledge.

First: There's the standard single mix, which is also known as the 'commercial mix' on various formats.

Second: There's the 'radio mix', which is the version used on the video I think, which is also on a US promo CD.

The same US promo also has an exclusive 'Guitar Mix Edit', but that's obviously an edit of a different version.

Posted by: little_shane, February 21, 2018, 4:48pm; Reply: 19
thank you
Print page generated: July 17, 2018, 7:26am