Print Topic - Archive

erasure4rum  /  I Say I Say I Say (1994)  /  I Love Saturday Live ???
Posted by: billyburg129, October 10, 2014, 2:12am
Came across this video on youtoube of I Love Saturday live.  Does anyone know what it is from?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4EM34Qdww4

I was under the impression the boys didn't tour for I Say x 3.  This looks like a full on concert.  What else did they play?
Posted by: 1607 (Guest), October 10, 2014, 2:27am; Reply: 1
Quoted from billyburg129
Came across this video on youtoube of I Love Saturday live.  Does anyone know what it is from?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4EM34Qdww4

I was under the impression the boys didn't tour for I Say x 3.  This looks like a full on concert.  What else did they play?

No, that' wasn't a tour, that was a benefit concert in which a lot of bands played. Erasure played only that song.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, October 10, 2014, 2:33am; Reply: 2
This was a period where Vince did not want to tour or appear in Videos in The I Say album.
Posted by: Danger, October 10, 2014, 6:16am; Reply: 3
Quoted from Mikedepaz
This was a period where Vince did not want to tour or appear in Videos in The I Say album.

And for me it's been a big mistake: it could be a great chance to make a great tour with lots of gigs and finally play live this great album (for today concerts it seems it was an album with only 1 track: Always!)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, October 10, 2014, 12:43pm; Reply: 4
Honestly I think that after the big production of Phantasmagorical, Vince was drained, all he wanted to do was be locked in37b and make music. It wasn't until 1995 that Andy convince him to do The TINY TOUR. So he can just be in the back again.
Posted by: 1607 (Guest), October 10, 2014, 2:01pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Honestly I think that after the big production of Phantasmagorical, Vince was drained, all he wanted to do was be locked in37b and make music. It wasn't until 1995 that Andy convince him to do The TINY TOUR. So he can just be in the back again.

And now Vince cannot escape from gigs! It's the only way they have to make a profit...
Posted by: Mikedepaz, October 11, 2014, 1:15am; Reply: 6
Quoted from 1607

And now Vince cannot escape from gigs! It's the only way they have to make a profit...

Yes because all he does now is be on the background. And until this last tour had not updated any of the live show sounds. So it was just easy to go on stage and let Andy be the focal point. also since no money is made from album sales like the old days, they tour to make money on their current work.
Posted by: 1607 (Guest), October 11, 2014, 1:32am; Reply: 7
Quoted from Mikedepaz

Yes because all he does now is be on the background. And until this last tour had not updated any of the live show sounds. So it was just easy to go on stage and let Andy be the focal point. also since no money is made from album sales like the old days, they tour to make money on their current work.

Yes, I have the theory that in a future when Andy and Vince get tired of doing gigs there won't be Erasure anymore, because of the economic factor...
Posted by: Mikedepaz, October 11, 2014, 6:50am; Reply: 8
Quoted from 1607

Yes, I have the theory that in a future when Andy and Vince get tired of doing gigs there won't be Erasure anymore, because of the economic factor...

Well I think there will always be Erasure. I think there is too much love and history between Vinace and Andy. After 30years they will continue to work together. music maybe will be easier to sell direct to fans and perhaps no need to sell to any label. honestly if they sold music direct from a website, they would do fine.

Now touring might be out of the question as time goes by. I can see them doing tours into heir 60s. That part will surely come to an end.
Posted by: halloo9, October 11, 2014, 8:52am; Reply: 9
well, i would say "live" is exaggerated. andy is not singing live, is he?
Posted by: kwerty, October 11, 2014, 10:33am; Reply: 10
Quoted from halloo9
well, i would say "live" is exaggerated. andy is not singing live, is he?

That's right. All those times he gets the lyrics wrong are pre-recorded.

Posted by: chemicalboy, October 11, 2014, 1:42pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from kwerty

That's right. All those times he gets the lyrics wrong are pre-recorded.

;D Funny ;D
Posted by: kwerty, October 11, 2014, 3:45pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from chemicalboy

;D Funny ;D

It might have been but I realise now I was reading his post a little out of context - I thought he meant generally! I realise now he just meant this I Love Saturday performance. Anyway - I get a can't watch this video in my country message so i can't say one way or another if he is singing live.

If it's the thing I think it is though and I if I can remember rightly, then I think he WAS singing live over a backing track... he may even be singing over the actual track if I remember. Basically singing live over the top of his own prerecorded vocals. Maybe. If I can remember correctly. Which I might not be doing. That's assuming it's the same video I think I remember.

I can't remember whether he got the lyrics right or not though and so he may or may not get them right on this video.

Posted by: 1607 (Guest), October 11, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from Mikedepaz

honestly if they sold music direct from a website, they would do fine.

Now touring might be out of the question as time goes by. I can see them doing tours into heir 60s. That part will surely come to an end.

I don't think that selling records is good business anymore, because of bootlegging.
Also, Andy's health is very important, remember he said that he gets sick very often since he got HIV. Drugs can help, yes, but as you grow old the immune system starts to weaken. And that could affect touring.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, October 11, 2014, 11:49pm; Reply: 14
Andy seems to be touring now more than ever apart from erasure. he does many DJ and solo gigs. I think he is better, than ever.
Posted by: interface2x, October 19, 2014, 5:09am; Reply: 15
He's definitely singing live in this one.
Posted by: Pughie, October 19, 2014, 10:59am; Reply: 16
I can't view video so the only live clip with a live vocal I've seen was the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party where Andy was dressed as a naval officer with backing singers dressed as Mermaids.
That was a live vocal over a pre recorded backing track.
Posted by: alewgro, October 19, 2014, 7:33pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from interface2x
He's definitely singing live in this one.

hahahaha do you have ears?
Posted by: Mikedepaz, October 20, 2014, 12:19am; Reply: 18
I remember that Vince did very minimal video appearences and this was not one of them. He always left poor Andy to go out about it himself at the time.
Posted by: Pughie, December 19, 2017, 9:35am; Reply: 19
Maybe a reality in 2018-taken from a new Vince tweet

Working on a reworking of 'I Love Saturdays'..VeryBuggle-ish. Also watched the new Blade Runner for the third time..definitely get's better and better 👁:)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, December 19, 2017, 1:39pm; Reply: 20
If its for the Tour, it's never been played live as Erasure. It would be a first.
Posted by: glazball, December 19, 2017, 2:08pm; Reply: 21
Erasure have performed ILS acoustically for a radio show.  In fact, it's one of my favorite acoustic Erasure tracks.  Sadly, my copy is on cassette and several generations old, but still great to listen to!

To hear Vince is working on a fresh live version is excited news indeed!  I love I Love Saturday. ;)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, December 19, 2017, 2:13pm; Reply: 22
That's probably from my old cassette collection days ;D I wish they revist I Say album live for some other tracks too
Posted by: gabila100, December 19, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 23
I left a comment on his Facebook post asking if the rework is for the new tour but I didn't get any reply. It may be just a remix
Posted by: luminous786, December 19, 2017, 3:33pm; Reply: 24
Hearing this live would be great!  Admittedly, I've been bugging V on twitter to play I Say x 3 live.

Random question - are the mermaids from this show Phantasmagorical Entertainment tour dancers?  They look familiar.
Posted by: MikeyC, December 20, 2017, 12:33am; Reply: 25
A fun, updated version of "I Love Saturday" in the new tour (if that's what it's for) would be a perfect antidote to the current dark climate we're living in. (As are most Erasure songs, but yeah this would be a ton of fun!)  8)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, December 20, 2017, 4:15am; Reply: 26
Quoted from MikeyC
A fun, updated version of "I Love Saturday" in the new tour (if that's what it's for) would be a perfect antidote to the current dark climate we're living in. (As are most Erasure songs, but yeah this would be a ton of fun!)  8)

Yes we need a little fun after doom and gloom. Hopefully more to come in this fashion
Posted by: gabila100, December 20, 2017, 4:07pm; Reply: 27
I wonder if they will still play It Doesn't Have To Be Like That
Posted by: mr first, December 20, 2017, 8:25pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from gabila100
I wonder if they will still play It Doesn't Have To Be Like That

Really hope so made my night at Manchester when they played that,think they will probably drop here I go impossible again judging on the crowd reaction
Posted by: Pughie, December 20, 2017, 9:47pm; Reply: 29
Quoted from mr first

Really hope so made my night at Manchester when they played that,think they will probably drop here I go impossible again judging on the crowd reaction

I was really surprised when they played HIGIA as I don’t find that one too exciting asa live yrack

Posted by: synthpopfan, December 21, 2017, 1:54am; Reply: 30
Those camera angles, pans and sweeps were absolute dogshit.
Posted by: Hergallego, December 22, 2017, 1:48pm; Reply: 31
I'm sure that -at least die-hard fans- in Argentina would enjoy a lot listening to HIGIA, Turns Love to Anger, I Love Saturday and It Doesn't Have to Be or any other song such as Run to the Sun or When I Needed You, And it would be great if they make at least one song of the latest albums: Bells of Love, Fill Us with Fire, Sacred and some others from World Be Gone
to refresh the setlist.
Posted by: Onge, December 23, 2017, 1:57pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from gabila100
I left a comment on his Facebook post asking if the rework is for the new tour but I didn't get any reply. It may be just a remix

My theory is it is a remix for the remastered re-release of I Say I Say I Say. I expect that we will continue to see the old albums remastered (although Wild! and Chorus would be next in line)...
Posted by: MikeyC, December 23, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 33
Maybe it's for both! An I Say x3 re-release AND the upcoming tour! THAT would be amazing!  8)
Posted by: Gareth Pugh, December 27, 2017, 9:35pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from Onge

My theory is it is a remix for the remastered re-release of I Say I Say I Say. I expect that we will continue to see the old albums remastered (although Wild! and Chorus would be next in line)...

Well a certain remix/production team let the cat out of the bag along those very lines earlier this year (and noticeably then redacted part of their social media post talking about that, pretty soon after!) so - taking that and Vince's tweets about doing new remixes for ILS and Turns the Love to Anger (and where did the Monteverde 2000 Miles 7" mix come from on 'FMTM'? I'm totally speculating here but I wonder if bonus material for some of these hasn't been in the pipeline for some time...) I suspect we might be seeing the expanded CD reissues resume soon.

Should be a great 2018 to be an Erasure fan, I'm thinking!
Posted by: Hergallego, December 28, 2017, 6:10pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Gareth Pugh

Well a certain remix/production team let the cat out of the bag along those very lines earlier this year (and noticeably then redacted part of their social media post talking about that, pretty soon after!) so - taking that and Vince's tweets about doing new remixes for ILS and Turns the Love to Anger (and where did the Monteverde 2000 Miles 7" mix come from on 'FMTM'? I'm totally speculating here but I wonder if bonus material for some of these hasn't been in the pipeline for some time...) I suspect we might be seeing the expanded CD reissues resume soon.

Should be a great 2018 to be an Erasure fan, I'm thinking!

Vince has tweeted that he's working in ILS for a Live Version.
Posted by: gabila100, December 28, 2017, 7:25pm; Reply: 36
Wow, that would be the bomb
Posted by: Tin Soldier, December 28, 2017, 8:41pm; Reply: 37
As I said before, if expanded reissues are coming, there needs to be "Time Capsule" box sets. Nothing else would really give the proper respect to each album; at least from a physical point of view. The closest thing before were the promo sets, or, even more artistically appropriate, the ISISIS popup pack.

The Time Capsule edition ought to be a unique album-art-inspired box that's unlike any other issued for the other reissues, and have the album as a picture disc and/or (remastered, if they must) on 180g transparent vinyl (think that's a thing) of a color complimentary to the album art. Additionally, every 12" issued in conjunction with that album (including L12"s) as well as any additional discs, if not also shaped picture discs of the 7" singles. Of course, the album on silkscreened CD and Cassette (Ideally, with a custom color shell, if not a recreation of the original UK one), a BD/DVD of the era's live VHS/LD release, as well as reissues of the era's t-shirt, enamel pin, tour scarf, and even a custom recreated used concert ticket from the era's tour. A true time capsule of what the uber fan would have, or want, from that era. Oh, and that watch, too. ;)

Now, while that all sounds very pie-in-the-sky, it's actually possible. While I loathe them intensely, a Pledge-like tiered system of editions would allow for it, while also allowing for a "basic" expanded two-three disc CD reissue as well. I'd pay for these. Hell, I'd sell blood to pay off my credit cards for these, and I'm anemic.  ??)

So Mute, forget what's come before and give each album it's due. Don't use a cookie cutter format for every one as if you never listened to every one and not loved them for what they are. Like children, you wouldn't dress them all the same, and neither should you here. Vince & Andy's offspring deserve better. :)
Print page generated: April 21, 2018, 12:08am