Print Topic - Archive

erasure4rum  /  Other Bands/Artists  /  Depeche Mode
Posted by: Pughie, February 6, 2013, 1:42pm

Depeche Mode-Delta Machine

Depeche Mode‘s new album Delta Machine is due out on 25 March, and as well as the standard release, their new label Columbia will be issuing a two-CD deluxe edition, which includes a 26-page photo booklet by Anton Corbjn, and four extra tracks on the bonus CD.

One of the four bonus tracks (All That’s Mine) is actually also the B-side to the forthcoming single Heaven, which is out a week earlier on 18 March. This single is being made available as a two-track CD single and a ‘maxi’ five-track CD single with four remixes offered in addition to the single version of Heaven.

Delta Machine will also be available as a 2xLP vinyl edition.

2CD Deluxe Edition

• UK Delta Machine (2CD Deluxe Edition)
• USA Delta Machine (2CD Deluxe Edition)
• CANADIAN Delta Machine (2CD Deluxe version)
• GERMANY Delta Machine (2CD Deluxe Edition)
2xLP Vinyl Edition

• UK Delta Machine (2xLP Vinyl)
• USA Delta Machine (Vinyl)
• GERMANY Delta Machine (2xLP Vinyl)

Deluxe Edition track listing:
Disc 1

1. Welcome To My World
2. Angel
3. Heaven
4. Secret To The End
5. My Little Universe
6. Slow
7. Broken
8. The Child Inside
9. Soft Touch/Raw Nerve
10. Should Be Higher
11. Alone
12. Soothe My Soul
13. Goodbye
Disc: 2

1. Long Time Lie
2. Happens All The Time
3. Always
4. All That’s Mine
Posted by: chemicalboy, February 6, 2013, 4:45pm; Reply: 1
Really looking forward to the new album, although hopefully the first single 'Heaven' is a grower because after a couple of listens I'm left feeling a bit......*meh*.
Posted by: mr.m, February 7, 2013, 5:13am; Reply: 2
Yea not a fan of what I've heard so far but hoping there are more Exciter quality tunes on there.
Posted by: ben, February 23, 2013, 8:04pm; Reply: 3
I know we all like moaning about Mute, but how did Columbia mess up the Single release by releasing it in the UK MUCH later than in the rest of the world, and why can you buy the b-side All That’s Mine already on iTunes?
Posted by: Dmode1973, March 23, 2013, 9:18pm; Reply: 4
Have to disagree totally with the last post, back to their best with an absolutely fantastic album..... Sonic heaven, ticks all the right boxes this one. Up there with Violator and SOFAD :)
Posted by: Pughie, March 23, 2013, 11:30pm; Reply: 5
Delta Machine is available as a free stream on UK iTunes at the moment
Posted by: chemicalboy, March 24, 2013, 6:56pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from Dmode1973
Have to disagree totally with the last post, back to their best with an absolutely fantastic album..... Sonic heaven, ticks all the right boxes this one. Up there with Violator and SOFAD :)

Totally agree. I've had a few listens now and each time it keeps getting better. Stand out tracks so far are Broken and Should Be Higher. Not a Xmas tune in sight.... ;D
Posted by: chemicalboy, June 1, 2013, 11:22am; Reply: 7
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ny4FHpYhI6g

Awesome.
Posted by: Dmode1973, June 6, 2013, 10:04am; Reply: 8
So I'm off to Berlin to see the Spectacular Delta Machine show at the Olympic Stadium tomorrow, and I just seen where my mate got us seated. At the Back. What an epic fail only 70 odd thousand people in front of me :(

Luckily I had the pleasure of the O2 London last week and it was fantastic. So if yas get a chance people go see its amazing :)
Posted by: Dmode1973, November 5, 2013, 7:42pm; Reply: 9
DM in my home city in two days time then off to Dublin Saturday and Snowglobe released Monday. What an awesome month :)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, November 6, 2013, 3:21am; Reply: 10
I didn't get into DeltaMachine that much. I thought it might be less guitars and more analogue synths. Maybe we see moreof Dave Gahan influence in songwriting
Posted by: Annie, November 10, 2013, 10:46pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Dmode1973
DM in my home city in two days time then off to Dublin Saturday and Snowglobe released Monday. What an awesome month :)
You lucky devil! :)  Great month! Please let us know what the show was like, won't you?

Posted by: Dmode1973, November 12, 2013, 2:37am; Reply: 12
Well what can I say DM were fantastic. In Belfast the crowd as expected after a 27yr break took their time to get into it but none the less a great performance, but Dublin on the other hand was spectacular. The sound for starters in the O2 is second to none and the band just thrived off the sell out crowd and rocked so hard it was unbelievable. Such energy and enthusiasm. One of the best gigs I've ever attended in my life. Couple of vids on my FB page of anyone's interested. :)
Posted by: Hanna Vas, November 13, 2013, 9:44am; Reply: 13
I've been a DM fan for YEARS! Seen them in concert way back in the 80ies in my hometown. Stood as close to the stage as possible and was able to shake David's hand. I never did tho, because I took a very close picture of him instead which I still got of course! Those were fantastic times until DM changed into all that dark crap. I stopped being a fan then. Recently I had the chance getting a free ticket to their concert in Hamburg. I didn't go as I don't know all their newer stuff. I still love "Just can't get enough" and I always will!! And Dave is still cute!
Posted by: dannylee, November 13, 2013, 9:46pm; Reply: 14
So does that mean that you have only been a fan of DM's early material for YEARS?  I like the 'dark crap' that they have been writing and performing for years.
Posted by: Hanna Vas, November 14, 2013, 10:01am; Reply: 15
Well then I guess DM offers something for everybody. I've been a fan of all they produced. in the beginning. Obviously nobody likes "crap" - do we?
Posted by: mr.m, November 18, 2013, 4:44am; Reply: 16
I adore Wrong but I do feel they've lost some consistency in the past few releases since Exciter.
Posted by: dannylee, November 18, 2013, 8:04am; Reply: 17
Quoted from Hanna Vas
........Obviously nobody likes "crap" - do we?

My point is it is not crap......your opinion, certainly not mine.

Posted by: Hanna Vas, November 18, 2013, 11:08am; Reply: 18
Quoted from dannylee

My point is it is not crap......your opinion, certainly not mine.

I know! I didn't want to express it like that! I just wanted to express, that, when I call something "crap" I obviously don't like it. Don't be offended! A lot of DM-fans like the newer stuff. I just don't Simple as that.
Posted by: Dmode1973, May 18, 2014, 1:28am; Reply: 19
The beauty about DM is that they do offer something for everyone, be it the old analogue pop hits, the industrial sampled swerve to the Dark side, the blues driven guitar anthems or the house orientated club stomper, they really have it all in their locker.. I appreciate that some fans don't like the newer albums as much as the 86-90 era but the simple fact is the group evolves with every album neither sounding like the previous album nor following a tried and tested PSB, Oasis and even Erasure type analogy that "if it ain't broke don't fix it" style where everything has astounding similarities to the previous release. As fans we have the luxury with DM of having a period that we liked best so we are all pretty fortunate in this respect and should just take what comes out next with the hope that it can add pleasure to what they have already given to us ;)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, May 18, 2014, 3:18am; Reply: 20
I like a sheer variety of stuff they have done. I can't say I completely love all the songs from the last decade but they have enough album tracks for me to like. I cant believe a voice as poppy as Dave when he started on Speak and Spell in 1981 has morphed into a full fledge husky baritone singer we have today. Vince must be shocked what his Baisldon mate became- and proud too ;D
Posted by: Peter, September 27, 2014, 5:29pm; Reply: 21
Fantastic band, great album, but nit as good as albums from 80 s and 90s. They have lost the best their member.
Posted by: Dmode1973, November 15, 2014, 9:09pm; Reply: 22
Review of the new Live in Berlin Soundtrack

http://www.xsnoize.com/?p=2730
Posted by: Cesar, January 31, 2016, 10:19pm; Reply: 23
[side-line.com] Martin Gore reveals that work on a new Depeche Mode album starts in April (Source)

César
Posted by: devoleb, January 31, 2016, 10:27pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Cesar

Saw it…..excellent news :-)
Posted by: Erasured, January 31, 2016, 11:25pm; Reply: 25
Whoop!
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 1, 2016, 12:17am; Reply: 26
Ironically isn't this the same time that Vince and Andy will start on their album?
Posted by: MikeyC, February 1, 2016, 2:08am; Reply: 27
Exciting!!

Feeling thrilled and fortunate that all my faves continue to create and release new music!!  :)
Posted by: Cesar, February 1, 2016, 3:18am; Reply: 28
Quoted from Cesar

Just in case you didn't realize there's a podcast within the article, this is the direct link:

[robbell.podbean.com] Episode 68 | Martin Gore from Depeche Mode

http://robbell.podbean.com/mf/play/s8y6nx/Episode68MartinGorefromDepecheMode.mp3

César
Posted by: chemicalboy, February 1, 2016, 5:40pm; Reply: 29
:)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 2, 2016, 2:16am; Reply: 30
That was a great podcast. I love that the interviewer was very easy going and down to earth, yet knowledgable of DM to make Martin laugh
Posted by: MikeyC, February 2, 2016, 3:27am; Reply: 31
Quoted from Mikedepaz
That was a great podcast. I love that the interviewer was very easy going and down to earth, yet knowledgable of DM to make Martin laugh

OMG it's actually hilarious and so much fun!! I am surprised the interviewer hadn't heard of Fad Gadget and a few other things, but wow this is a great podcast!  8)
Posted by: Pughie, February 20, 2016, 6:02pm; Reply: 32
Depeche Mode demo tape 1980

https://sonicmoremusic.wordpress.com/2014/10/26/depeche-mode-demo-tape-from-1980-when-they-were-known-as-composition-of-sound-listen/
Posted by: devoleb, February 20, 2016, 6:33pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Pughie

Very cool, really loved this....thanks!!
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 20, 2016, 11:43pm; Reply: 34
Today marks the debut in 1981 of the DM single Dreaming Of Me written by Vince Clarke
Posted by: PolarPiano, March 2, 2016, 1:33am; Reply: 35
Just yesterday I listened to the Playing The Angel album again and I really got the feeling that there is some connection to the Loveboat album production and sound-wise. It's a similar low fi sound and also atmosphere. The beginning of I Want It All, for example, reminded me of Perchance to Dream (that drum sound) and it sort of has the same atmosphere. Anyway, might just be me but I find that interesting. Makes you wonder though why Loveboat (which I really like) sank without a trace and this was really successful.  
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 2, 2016, 4:54am; Reply: 36
Something about Loveboat promotion never got of the right start. Not to mention no tour after 4 years and just two singles released almost a year apart. Mute sort left this untouched.
Posted by: PolarPiano, March 4, 2016, 2:21am; Reply: 37
Yes, you are right. It's a shame Loveboat never got the attention it deserved. And I add one more thing - Precious could really have been an Erasure single and the opening sounds of "John the Revelator" made me think "hmm, did Martin use Vince's synths?" :-) Anyway, somehow VCMG was the culmination of it I think. It's funny how it all comes together.

Anyway, will be interesting to see how the new Depeche Mode album turns out. I think they will work with a new producer so they may change direction again. I lost a bit of interest in the band during the late 90's. Actually that started with SOFAD which I don't mind these days but back then I didn't get it somehow. I have recently rediscovered them again and it's good to see that they are still around after all these years and the problems they had...
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 4, 2016, 2:54am; Reply: 38
I have been listening to Violator and the trying to deconstruct the beauty of this album that has not been matched since. The musical style on that album is pure joy.
Posted by: chemicalboy, March 5, 2016, 2:50pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Mikedepaz
I have been listening to Violator and the trying to deconstruct the beauty of this album that has not been matched since. The musical style on that album is pure joy.

What. An. Album. :)
Posted by: MikeyC, March 6, 2016, 2:26am; Reply: 40
Legendary and iconic!
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 6, 2016, 2:49am; Reply: 41
You always hear DM critics always compare new DM albums to Violator and they always fall short. They never got close again. I will say they have had some good singles since on some albums. but as a perfect album concept from Beginning to end- Violator
Posted by: devoleb, March 6, 2016, 11:12am; Reply: 42
I must say 'Music For The Masses' to me is in the same league as 'Violator'  :)
Posted by: MikeyC, March 7, 2016, 1:55am; Reply: 43
Quoted from devoleb
I must say 'Music For The Masses' to me is in the same league as 'Violator'  :)

I agree; it was very much of its time ('87/'88) and signaled the breakout of the band, especially in the U.S.  Then in '90 "Violator" exploded and nothing was the same.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 7, 2016, 4:31am; Reply: 44
Well Music For The Masses has the elements that would lay ground for Violator. The song structure got similar treatment but more minimal on Violator
Posted by: PolarPiano, March 7, 2016, 11:22pm; Reply: 45
It's interesting that Depeche Mode and Erasure released their masterpieces Violator and Chorus (at least in my humble opinion) nearly at the same time. Ah, good times back then. Gee, I am getting old... lol
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 7, 2016, 11:48pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from PolarPiano
It's interesting that Depeche Mode and Erasure released their masterpieces Violator and Chorus (at least in my humble opinion) nearly at the same time. Ah, good times back then. Gee, I am getting old... lol

I often thought of the same thing. 1990-91 was a very interesting time for both Mute artist
Posted by: Erasured, March 8, 2016, 10:53pm; Reply: 47
Yeah the mute bosses seemed to have the ambition and drive back then...
Posted by: PolarPiano, March 9, 2016, 2:10am; Reply: 48
I think the music industry has significantly changed since then and we shouldn't forget that Daniel Miller and the bands are now older and they all have moved on from that stage of their career. Sometimes I have the feeling that Depeche Mode and Erasure are just continuing for the fun of it. If it's successful then great if not, well then so be it. Let's face it, at the end of the day both Erasure and Depeche Mode have pioneered electronic music and in doing so made enough money so that they don't have to work again (which is great). And the other question really is, what else could you achieve / invent if you are Depeche Mode or Erasure? You shaped electronic music, had major success, number one albums and singles, lots of dedicated fans etc. and nothing is new in the music business these days anyway. Everything has been recycled and redone so it's great that both bands seem to have found their niche. Also, I don't know one band that really has released its masterpiece at the end of its career (maybe Talk Talk with Spirit of Eden) and in a way that is where Depeche Mode and Erasure are... I am just glad that I was able to experience their heydays during the late 80s and early 90s and everything else is really a bonus in my eyes.  
Posted by: Pughie, September 16, 2016, 9:14pm; Reply: 49

Depeche Mode are to issue Video Singles Collection, in November, a first-ever career-spanning anthology of promo videos and short films.

The three-DVD package is being issued by Sony (they acquired the rights to the band’s catalogue in July last year) and spans the years 1981-2013. It features more than four hours of newly restored music videos and over two hours of new audio commentary on specific individual clips, recorded by members of Depeche Mode especially for this release.

The band have worked with some ground-breaking directors over the years, including Julien Temple, Anton Corbijn, D.A. Pennebaker, John Hillcoat and others.

“It’s been amazing to go back and relive all the experiences and memories these videos evoke after all these years”, the band are quoted as saying, adding, “It’s incredible to have all our videos finally together in one place and we’re hoping our fans enjoy this journey through time as much as we did.”

Excitingly for fans, Video Singles Collection is the first in “a series of band-approved retrospective projects” so we wait with anticipation to see what will follow. If you have any suggestions, then leave a comment.

Video Singles Collection is released on 11 November 2016

Just Can’t Get Enough (directed by Clive Richardson)

See You (directed by Julien Temple)

The Meaning Of Love (directed by Julien Temple)

Leave In Silence (directed by Julien Temple)

Get The Balance Right (directed by Kevin Hewitt)

Everything Counts (directed by Clive Richardson)

Love, In Itself (directed by Clive Richardson)

People Are People (directed by Clive Richardson)

Master And Servant (directed by Clive Richardson)

Blasphemous Rumours (directed by Clive Richardson)

Somebody (directed by Clive Richardson)

Shake The Disease (directed by Peter Care)

It’s Called A Heart (directed by Peter Care)

Stripped (directed by Peter Care)

But Not Tonight (directed by Tamra Davis)

A Question Of Lust (directed by Clive Richardson)

A Question Of Time (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Strangelove (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Never Let Me Down Again (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Behind The Wheel (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Little 15 (directed by Martyn Atkins)

Strangelove ’88 (directed by Martyn Atkins)

Everything Counts (Live – from “101”) (directed by D.A. Pennebaker)

Personal Jesus (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Enjoy The Silence (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Policy Of Truth (directed by Anton Corbijn)

World In My Eyes (directed by Anton Corbijn)

I Feel You (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Walking In My Shoes (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Condemnation (Paris Mix) (directed by Anton Corbijn)

One Caress (directed by Kevin Kerslake)

In Your Room (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Barrel Of A Gun (directed by Anton Corbijn)

It’s No Good (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Home (directed by Steven Green)

Useless (directed by Anton Corbijn)

Only When I Lose Myself (directed by Brian Griffin)

Dream On (directed by Stephane Sednaoui)

I Feel Loved (directed by John Hillcoat)

Freelove (directed by John Hillcoat)

Goodnight Lovers (directed by John Hillcoat)

Enjoy The Silence ’04 (directed by Uwe Flade)

Precious (directed by Uwe Flade)

A Pain That I’m Used To (directed by Uwe Flade)

Suffer Well (directed by Anton Corbijn)

John The Revelator (directed by Blue Leach)

Martyr (directed by Robert Chandler)

Wrong (directed by Patrick Daughters)

Peace (directed by Jonas and François)

Hole To Feed (directed by Eric Wareheim)

Fragile Tension (directed by Rob Chandler and Barney Steel)

Personal Jesus 2011 (directed by Patrick Daughters)

Heaven (directed by Timothy Saccenti)

Soothe My Soul (directed by Warren Fu)

Should Be Higher (directed by Anton Corbijn)
Posted by: Dunc, September 16, 2016, 9:19pm; Reply: 50
Now that's a seriously good collection!
Posted by: devoleb, September 16, 2016, 10:02pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Dunc
Now that's a seriously good collection!

…and a must have  :)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, September 16, 2016, 11:28pm; Reply: 52
While I like Depeche mode music, I can't say I like to watch their videos that much. I will wait to get this on the cheap
Posted by: MikeyC, September 17, 2016, 2:31am; Reply: 53
I'm also a huge DM fan, but I'm not that interested in this...  8)
Posted by: erasure, September 17, 2016, 6:33pm; Reply: 54
Agreed.   I used to be a huge DM fan, although, I think their last few albums bordered on dull.   Videos are essentially 4 minute commercials and do we really need more advertising in the world?
Posted by: Mikedepaz, September 17, 2016, 7:35pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from erasure
Agreed.   I used to be a huge DM fan, although, I think their last few albums bordered on dull.   Videos are essentially 4 minute commercials and do we really need more advertising in the world?

Oh I dont mind advertising but dull advertising is unwatchable :P
Posted by: glazball, December 18, 2016, 9:21pm; Reply: 56
I've waited many years for a DM videos collection, and the track listing is perfect.  BUT it's on DVD and I still can't decide if I should support it with my purchase.  I don't want to buy it now only to see a Blu-ray be released later.
Posted by: glazball, January 20, 2017, 1:19am; Reply: 57
After some deliberation, darn it I broke down and bought the Video Singles Collection.  And it's really nice.  I hate the fact that it's DVD, but hey DVD is retro now right?  And retro is fashionable.

Who am I kidding though?  It's f****ing Depeche Mode and I had to have it.  Most of these later videos I've never seen and it truly is an encyclopedic singles collection.  Highly recommended!

Looking forward to the new DM album Spirit also.  My fingers are crossed that Martin won't let Dave write any more songs on this one!  Though sadly, not all of Martin's songs the last few years have been gold either.  Soft Touch/Raw Nerve is awful.
Posted by: MikeyC, January 20, 2017, 1:29am; Reply: 58
Quoted from glazball
After some deliberation, darn it I broke down and bought the Video Singles Collection.  And it's really nice.  I hate the fact that it's DVD, but hey DVD is retro now right?  And retro is fashionable.

Who am I kidding though?  It's f****ing Depeche Mode and I had to have it.  Most of these later videos I've never seen and it truly is an encyclopedic singles collection.  Highly recommended!

Looking forward to the new DM album Spirit also.  My fingers are crossed that Martin won't let Dave write any more songs on this one!  Though sadly, not all of Martin's songs the last few years have been gold either.  Soft Touch/Raw Nerve is awful.

A short interview with Dave appeared recently where he confirmed that while he did contribute a couple of the tracks, it's the least amount of Dave-penned songs on a DM album in a long time. And he's ok with that.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, January 20, 2017, 4:22am; Reply: 59
I've lost touch with DM, I really don't connect with their music anymore. There was a time when I would buy everything DM but it's been downhill since Exciter.  Violator was the crown jewel that they have never even come close to again. goes to show the influence that Alan Wilder had in  DM Sound.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, January 20, 2017, 9:14am; Reply: 60
That said, I could never get much into Recoil.

Martin is a great songwriter, though. As long as he can compose, there's life in the band, but yeah, it's not what it was. Like U2, they really have fallen back on being a major touring band vs. producing the same level of material. I hope I'm wrong whenever there's talk of a new album.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, January 20, 2017, 1:55pm; Reply: 61
I always think the will go back to all electronics but those hopes are always dashed. The succeeded in being the all rock band with minimal synths thrown in there.
Posted by: glazball, January 20, 2017, 6:44pm; Reply: 62
For Sounds of the Universe Martin got out a lot of the old synths.  And of course with VCMG and MG he's been toying with them (old and new) a lot more.

But yes, once Alan left they went downhill (except for Ultra which is incredible once you get past Barrel of a Gun) and we'll never get another Violator again.  They are not what they once were... but I'm happy Martin is still writing songs.

What would really make me happy is another VCMG - my two idols working TOGETHER, face to face like early Lennon/McCartney, making songs with some melodies and vocals (a true album) rather just emailing each other parts of songs with little or no chemistry or emotion.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, January 22, 2017, 1:20am; Reply: 63
I was hoping that Martin and Vince would continue VCMG. Was not to fond of second collaboration woth Orbital.
Posted by: Pughie, February 1, 2017, 11:11am; Reply: 64
New single Where's the Revolution out Friday 3rd February 2017 & album Spirit March 17th 2017

Posted by: B2D2, February 1, 2017, 3:46pm; Reply: 65
i so want to love this new album! been a long time since I've enjoyed me some DM!

anyplace to hear the single yet??
Posted by: mr first, February 1, 2017, 5:01pm; Reply: 66
Quoted from B2D2
i so want to love this new album! been a long time since I've enjoyed me some DM!

I was really disappointed with delta machine their last good album was playing the angel so fingers crossed this will go back to classic mode
Posted by: Cesar, February 1, 2017, 5:08pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from B2D2

Here's an album teaser, for that matter:

[noise11.com] Depeche Mode Spirit Given Simian Mobile Disco Touch (Source)

Depeche Mode - Spirit (Official Teaser)

César
Posted by: glazball, February 1, 2017, 7:49pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from mr first

I was really disappointed with delta machine their last good album was playing the angel so fingers crossed this will go back to classic mode

I have to admit I think Delta Machine is probably their worst (Broken and Soft Touch/Raw Nerve are probably the worst songs they've ever released), though it does have a few good tracks on it.  Overall, it's just missing the magic that every other DM album seems to have.  So, I'll be going into Spirit with some skepticism but still optimistic.  Though I know we won't see a return to Construction Time Again sound (ha!) I think they did great with Sounds of the Universe and hope to hear more in that vein.
Posted by: MikeyC, February 1, 2017, 10:54pm; Reply: 69
Considering they've worked with a new producer for the first time in ages, I'm looking forward to hearing and exploring the new sounds and arrangements, etc...  8)
Posted by: PolarPiano, February 1, 2017, 11:48pm; Reply: 70
Not so sure about the cover artwork though I have to admit. With a title like "Spirit" they could have done so much more but five pairs of boots and six flags on a grey background? Hmm.. anyway, the music counts I guess!
Posted by: luminous786, February 2, 2017, 12:17am; Reply: 71
Quoted from MikeyC
Considering they've worked with a new producer for the first time in ages, I'm looking forward to hearing and exploring the new sounds and arrangements, etc...  8)

Completely agree.  Wsa so glad to hear they selected a different producer who is in Simian Mobile Disco.  Expect it to be more synthy.  Hoping for a return to form, but have a feeling we will be let down again.  Their last really good album was Ultra in my opinion.  
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 2, 2017, 2:01am; Reply: 72
I go back to the Alan Wilder effect, his loss in DM has made them a group I dont like too much now. Trying to be a dark rock act for years now and less of the great synths sound. Even Flecher is unintersting.
Posted by: Cesar, February 3, 2017, 1:45am; Reply: 73
[rollingstone.com] Depeche Mode's Dave Gahan on Urgent New 'Spirit' LP, David Bowie Influence (Source)

Depeche Mode - Where's the Revolution (Audio)

César
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 3, 2017, 2:41am; Reply: 74
Horrible........pass
Posted by: disk jokke, February 3, 2017, 5:25am; Reply: 75
I like it a lot  :)
Posted by: PolarPiano, February 3, 2017, 6:55am; Reply: 76
Compared to the last two albums, this is much better. It's a grower too, the middle bit is really nice. Let's hope the album will be similar.
Posted by: glazball, February 3, 2017, 7:00pm; Reply: 77
I like it also.  First impression of Where's the Revolution is that it sounds a lot like Corrupt, the last track on Sounds of the Universe.

I like the lyrics too.  Maybe one day we'll see DM collaborate with Muse!
Posted by: devoleb, February 3, 2017, 7:47pm; Reply: 78
Big DM fan, but I need to listen to this song several times more before I can judge :-)
Posted by: MikeyC, February 3, 2017, 10:35pm; Reply: 79
It's definitely in the "major grower" category and I love it a lot now!  8) Loving the intense, industrial arrangement...
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 4, 2017, 12:06am; Reply: 80
HorrIble for me and I just can't get into it
Posted by: Cesar, February 4, 2017, 10:55pm; Reply: 81

César
Posted by: devoleb, February 5, 2017, 10:13am; Reply: 82
Quoted from Mikedepaz
HorrIble for me and I just can't get into it

Find and listen to the Dominatrix Fast Party remix, it should have been the single version....totally spot on IMO
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 5, 2017, 1:50pm; Reply: 83
Quoted from devoleb

Find and listen to the Dominatrix Fast Party remix, it should have been the single version....totally spot on IMO

Where is this so I can give it another chance?
Posted by: devoleb, February 5, 2017, 6:13pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Mikedepaz

Where is this so I can give it another chance?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpd-6j9Mep8
Posted by: Cesar, February 9, 2017, 11:18pm; Reply: 85
[pitchfork.com] Depeche Mode Let Fans Run Facebook Page for a Year

Quoted Text
A new fan a day will run the page, liked by 7 million people

http://www.depechemode.com/takeover/apply

(Source)

César
Posted by: Pughie, February 13, 2017, 4:54pm; Reply: 86
Ouch!

http://www.electricityclub.co.uk/depeche-mode-wheres-revolution/
Posted by: 2172 (Guest), February 13, 2017, 5:48pm; Reply: 87
Never really grasped their dark guitar reinvention in the 90's, loved the 80's stuff but I just don't get them now, sorry
Posted by: Pughie, February 13, 2017, 8:10pm; Reply: 88
Ouch!

http://www.electricityclub.co.uk/depeche-mode-wheres-revolution/
Posted by: Dunc, February 13, 2017, 8:52pm; Reply: 89
After watching "101" on Sky Arts over Christmas I have really enjoyed listening to some Depeche Mode over the last few weeks. Forgot about some classics such as the Beatmasters remix of Route 66 and the extended versions of Shake The Disease and Everything Counts. I hugely enjoyed seeing them on the Violater tour at the NEC, Birmingham so I'm not here to run them down but I have to say that their output in the last few years has been very underwhelming including this new single. I think that the last DM song I liked was "Precious".
It's a shame, because when they were a synth band they were reallygood but now it's all a bit too dark and heavy for me personally.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 14, 2017, 12:00am; Reply: 90
Last DM I liked as well was Precious mainly because it was all synths.

This song was painful, the video God awful and boring. Where has my Basildon boys gone? Well one that left in 1981 will hopefully top this
Posted by: MikeyC, February 14, 2017, 1:24am; Reply: 91
Quoted from Dunc
After watching "101" on Sky Arts over Christmas I have really enjoyed listening to some Depeche Mode over the last few weeks. Forgot about some classics such as the Beatmasters remix of Route 66 and the extended versions of Shake The Disease and Everything Counts. I hugely enjoyed seeing them on the Violater tour at the NEC, Birmingham so I'm not here to run them down but I have to say that their output in the last few years has been very underwhelming including this new single. I think that the last DM song I liked was "Precious".
It's a shame, because when they were a synth band they were reallygood but now it's all a bit too dark and heavy for me personally.

"101" is an amazing documentary and is largely considered a pre-curser to "The Real World" series on MTV in that it threw together young strangers to live together and get along (or not) while following DM cross-country on tour. And it totally captures that late 80s moment of college-aged kids being passionate about "alternative music"  and bands and culture and was also an early documentary showing young gay people in this way. Such a time capsule!  8)

Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 14, 2017, 2:21am; Reply: 92
Quoted from MikeyC

"101" is an amazing documentary and is largely considered a pre-curser to "The Real World" series on MTV in that it threw together young strangers to live together and get along (or not) while following DM cross-country on tour. And it totally captures that late 80s moment of college-aged kids being passionate about "alternative music"  and bands and culture and was also an early documentary showing young gay people in this way. Such a time capsule!  8)

This was also the turning point tour from small underground arena act to massive stadium shows leading up to the great Violator period. Then everything sort of went hit or miss from there. I remember both DM and Erasure played almost sellout here and Mute was banking big coin at the time.
Posted by: mr first, February 14, 2017, 9:37am; Reply: 93
After violator I thought songs of faith and devotion was very good ,but then came there problems Dave's drug problems and Alan wilder leaving the band which left a big hole in DM Martin is still a great songwriter but between them they don't seem to be able turn the songs onto the next stage like Alan did a bit like broken frame when Vince left,playing the angel held a glimmer of hope probably because it was more synth based ,I would like them to not keep doing this 4 year cycle of every 4 years an album it's like the Olympics maybe more spontaneous  recordings could have a different effect
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 14, 2017, 1:50pm; Reply: 94
I'm also done with the Anton Cordjin art direction. It's just lack any direction and his style has got worse with time. Logos look goofy and primitive. Seen the revolution and Spirit art and it looks like it was done in Kindergarten
Posted by: luminous786, February 14, 2017, 4:13pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from Mikedepaz
I'm also done with the Anton Cordjin art direction. It's just lack any direction and his style has got worse with time. Logos look goofy and primitive. Seen the revolution and Spirit art and it looks like it was done in Kindergarten

He also does that stage design for the tours.  It has been severely lacking the last few tours.  They need someone new to tackle this.  Anton did a good job with the SOFAD tour and he admitted that it was more work than he realized.  Since then it seems he has taken the easy way out and has delivered meh....
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 15, 2017, 1:35am; Reply: 96
Yup, it just looks like all the same crap for years and years. They have have to cut this out and look for another fresh direction and views
Posted by: MikeyC, February 15, 2017, 3:50am; Reply: 97
In all fairness, we've only heard one song from the new album! Maybe it's filled with some great music!  8)
Posted by: disk jokke, February 15, 2017, 9:41am; Reply: 98
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Yup, it just looks like all the same crap for years and years. They have have to cut this out and look for another fresh direction and views

Erasure often get this kind of comments too.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 15, 2017, 1:44pm; Reply: 99
Quoted from disk jokke

Yes but at least when it comes to art style it's always different. And erasure tends to change music direction too, some forward, backward but you see movement. I don't see the same in years for DM
Posted by: luminous786, February 15, 2017, 2:50pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from disk jokke

I was thinking this as well as I wrote my earlier post. The last really good show for me was The Erasure Show.  I know budget is tight but hoping the boys do something with a bit more spectacle this time around.
Posted by: Cesar, February 15, 2017, 8:39pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from MikeyC
In all fairness, we've only heard one song from the new album! Maybe it's filled with some great music!  8)

Did you hear the teaser?

César
Posted by: MikeyC, February 16, 2017, 12:09am; Reply: 102
Quoted from Cesar

Did you hear the teaser?

César

Yes. Still hopeful for some nice surprises on the full album!  8)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 19, 2017, 3:04am; Reply: 103
I heard the teaser but I'll give the album a complete listen before I make any more opinions on it.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 6, 2017, 9:44pm; Reply: 104
Regarding the Strobe-run DM tix pre-sale...

I get how and why methods to beat scaplers are necessary, and even get over the fact Strobe used the current referral system to generate album sales, but one day I was in the 2000s, and literally the next day I'm in 3400s. When I did get a spot, in group two, I am in the nosebleeds on 9/9, and barely on the floor on 9/11.

The process left a bad taste in my mouth...and hole in my wallet.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 7, 2017, 12:19am; Reply: 105
Well I won't be going to see DM, last time I walked out.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 7, 2017, 1:10am; Reply: 106
Please enlighten us as to where you drew the line?
Posted by: luminous786, March 7, 2017, 1:59am; Reply: 107
I fell the same way. I started as 1084 and then ended up in the 800s. Managed to get decent seats on the floor but didn't expect to be paying these kinds of prices. I would have rather taken my chances with the resellers. Never thought I would say that...  it better be one hell of a show.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 7, 2017, 2:04am; Reply: 108
Quoted from luminous786
I fell the same way. I started as 1084 and then ended up in the 800s. Managed to get decent seats on the floor but didn't expect to be paying these kinds of prices. I would have rather taken my chances with the resellers. Never thought I would say that...  it better be one hell of a show.

That's the opposite of what happened to me.

Were you in group one or two, and what section of the floor did you get? Also, one night or both?
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 7, 2017, 2:19am; Reply: 109
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Please enlighten us as to where you drew the line?

When I was watching more the backdrop graphics than the singer. In a 10,000 seat venue, the crowd was just not into it. Only the rabid fans close to the stage.

This has happened on the last two tours and I vowed not to sit through that again. I paid $95 a ticket

everyone else, enjoy yourself
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 7, 2017, 2:22am; Reply: 110
Quoted from Mikedepaz

When I was watching more the backdrop graphics than the singer. In a 10,000 seat venue, the crowd was just not into it. Only the rabid fans close to the stage.

This has happened on the last two tours and I vowed not to sit through that again. I paid $95 a ticket

everyone else, enjoy yourself

Stadium tours are expected of them, which is a shame for the reasons you gave.

Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 7, 2017, 3:29am; Reply: 111
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Stadium tours are expected of them, which is a shame for the reasons you gave.

Well they have been doing arena gigs for some time in the US. What has happened is that DM has evolved into a rock act, but the bulk of the fans are older fans that want to hear Violator and prior material and so it has become a happy, wait, happy, wait, wait, wait, wait, happy, wait scenario.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 7, 2017, 3:32am; Reply: 112
I find much of their stuff still accessible. I wouldn't be headed to concessions or bathrooms if I could avoid it.

Still, it's been a while since I've been to an arena gig. I'm unsure I'll get enough enjoyment from my seat.
Posted by: luminous786, March 7, 2017, 4:03am; Reply: 113
Quoted from Tin Soldier

That's the opposite of what happened to me.

Were you in group one or two, and what section of the floor did you get? Also, one night or both?

I was in Group 2. Didn't realize they were doing all those packages. Opted for Gold and got section B row 12.  4 tix - on the 9th.

Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 7, 2017, 4:05am; Reply: 114
Damn, damn, damn.

Good for you, of course. :)

Damn, damn, damn...
Posted by: luminous786, March 7, 2017, 4:22am; Reply: 115
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Damn, damn, damn.

Good for you, of course. :)

Damn, damn, damn...

Would save one for you but they are all accounted for. Will let you know if someone bails.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 7, 2017, 4:42am; Reply: 116
Really nice of you. :)

I only grabbed tix for 9/11, and section 1 (barely on floor).

It's not lost on me as a New Yorker to see a band on 9/11 do a track called "Where's The Revolution". It will be an interesting night.
Posted by: luminous786, March 7, 2017, 5:51pm; Reply: 117
By the way, if anyone wants tickets for NYC on September 9th, let me know.  Turns out a friend of mine and I both bought tickets without consulting each other and figured we would go together.  Her seats are section 226 row 5.  She has 4 tickets she bought with the silver package for $300 a piece.  
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 7, 2017, 5:53pm; Reply: 118
I wonder what the exclusive item will be with those packages.
Posted by: luminous786, March 8, 2017, 6:55pm; Reply: 119
Anyone going to see the DM Times Talk In NYC today?
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 10, 2017, 12:28am; Reply: 120
I didn't get tix, though that doesn't always stop me from trying to meet a band for a quick autograph on the way in and out of an event. Still, was too busy to go sans tix.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 10, 2017, 1:38am; Reply: 121
It's nearly impossible to meet them unless you do now those paid meet and greets
Posted by: Tin Soldier, March 11, 2017, 3:45am; Reply: 122
I've heard, but I sure as hell would try.
Posted by: chemicalboy, March 17, 2017, 7:41pm; Reply: 123
First listen of Spirit - hmmmm - not sure - maybe a grower?

On to the 2nd listen ...
Posted by: Pat.2000, March 17, 2017, 9:55pm; Reply: 124
^My reaction too. I will give it a third listen soon but to be honest it's not top of my to-do list now.

Initial reactions....It is rather mid paced and dreary
Posted by: mr first, March 17, 2017, 11:10pm; Reply: 125
I've give it a listen drones on a bit try to give it a few more listens so much love is ok though
Posted by: MikeyC, March 18, 2017, 12:27am; Reply: 126
I haven't listened yet... will do that later tonight. But I was just reading at my favorite cafe and a couple was across the table from me -- they live in NYC but are from Europe -- and I saw they were listening to "Spirit" on their phones. I struck up a conversation and they were RAVING about it, saying it was by far the best DM material in YEARS. So they certainly got me excited!  8)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 18, 2017, 4:00am; Reply: 127
Oh wow, what a total let down by the Basildon Boys. I will not revisit Spirit again- Perhaps aptly named.
Posted by: devoleb, March 18, 2017, 6:20am; Reply: 128
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Oh wow, what a total let down by the Basildon Boys. I will not revisit Spirit again- Perhaps aptly named.

Not their best album, I hope this is a grower
Posted by: moxxey, March 18, 2017, 7:35am; Reply: 129
Quoted from chemicalboy
First listen of Spirit - hmmmm - not sure - maybe a grower?

On to the 2nd listen ...

Not a grower here. Where's The Revolution is the best track, by far!
Posted by: Simmo, March 18, 2017, 12:58pm; Reply: 130
Definitely a grower. Going backwards, scum, cover me, no more, all really good. Cover me is a beautiful track and I cannot get scum out of my head, "pull the trigger".
Posted by: mr first, March 18, 2017, 8:54pm; Reply: 131
I've given spirit another listen and I'm afraid it just doesn't do it for me I've followed DM since 1984, and in all honesty I have seemed to lost a personal connection I had with the band I would have loved to had seen them on this tour but one date in London at ridiculous prices and recent albums being very mediocre the days of walking in my shoes,clean and things you said seem a very long time ago
Posted by: disk jokke, March 18, 2017, 10:34pm; Reply: 132
My biggest problem with Spirit is the lack of memorable melodies and for the first time I feel they have lost it. It hurts me, because DM is one of my
fave bands.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, March 19, 2017, 12:22am; Reply: 133
Quoted from disk jokke
My biggest problem with Spirit is the lack of memorable melodies and for the first time I feel they have lost it. It hurts me, because DM is one of my
fave bands.

I couldn't have said it any better. Melody is what it lacks
Posted by: glazball, March 19, 2017, 4:29am; Reply: 134
I just gave Spirit my first listen and with nice headphones.  I really like it.  In fact, I was really wowed by it.  There were moments in Cover Me that really swept me away, and I see it's not even a Martin song!  Peter Gordeno shares songwriting credits on that one and Poison Heart, and I gotta give him credit...  He's really been a solid contributor in Alan's absence and I've always been amazed by his talent on the keyboards/piano.

I'm over the fact (I guess!) that DM have changed and I think they really found a sweet spot with Spirit.  Certainly better overall than Delta Machine imo.  Scum is awesome and Eternal absolutely blew me away.
Posted by: MikeyC, March 19, 2017, 8:49am; Reply: 135
Opening track "Going Backwards" is a standout and a new DM classic. Pretty sure they'll open the tour with this. Love it!  8)
Posted by: Pat.2000, March 19, 2017, 12:40pm; Reply: 136
I'm not giving up just yet. Myself and DM have travelled to many places over the years so l owe them a few listens.

Might end up liking it, might not...
Posted by: luminous786, March 19, 2017, 2:11pm; Reply: 137
Quoted from MikeyC
Opening track "Going Backwards" is a standout and a new DM classic. Pretty sure they'll open the tour with this. Love it!  8)

I would have to agree.  It's a great start to the album.  I also like Cover Me.  The rest.....meh
Posted by: devoleb, March 19, 2017, 2:57pm; Reply: 138
Quoted from glazball
I just gave Spirit my first listen and with nice headphones.  I really like it.  In fact, I was really wowed by it.  There were moments in Cover Me that really swept me away, and I see it's not even a Martin song!  Peter Gordeno shares songwriting credits on that one and Poison Heart, and I gotta give him credit...  He's really been a solid contributor in Alan's absence and I've always been amazed by his talent on the keyboards/piano.

I'm over the fact (I guess!) that DM have changed and I think they really found a sweet spot with Spirit.  Certainly better overall than Delta Machine imo.  Scum is awesome and Eternal absolutely blew me away.

Actually you made me listen again...thanks for your positive review :-)
Posted by: Pughie, March 20, 2017, 8:46am; Reply: 139
Depeche Mode atolaying Glasgow Barrowlands for the first time since the early 80's and tickets gone within minutes,touts are making hundreds of pounds selling tickets up to £700 .

It's a sad state of affairs the government needs to sort this touting business out.
Posted by: chubs, March 20, 2017, 10:14am; Reply: 140
Going to stick my neck on the line, but cover me might just be one of the finest dm tracks ever.
Posted by: devoleb, March 22, 2017, 3:57pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from chubs
Going to stick my neck on the line, but cover me might just be one of the finest dm tracks ever.

Best DM track ever?! Aaargh, well I don't know about that....like the track though :-)

Anyway, I really like when bands make this (see below) kind of promotion.....and nice for collectors to have....notice there are three different shapes in the middle of the vinyl, for the über-nerds :-)

https://abo.musikexpress.de/produkt/musikexpress-ausgabe-42017-mit-exklusiver-depeche-mode-vinyl-7-inch-single/
Posted by: Pat.2000, March 22, 2017, 4:26pm; Reply: 142
Album number two in the official download charts...so far
Posted by: MikeyC, March 22, 2017, 11:21pm; Reply: 143
"SPIRIT" is growing on me as I continue to listen and enjoy...

Loving "Going Backwards", "Scum", "You Move", "So Much Love" and "No More (This is the Last Time)"!
Posted by: chemicalboy, April 7, 2017, 6:53pm; Reply: 144
Officially 'Grown'...
Posted by: Pat.2000, April 8, 2017, 10:18am; Reply: 145
I watched the BBC 6 Music gig a few times now, and I must say the songs are starting to resemble something other than what I described them as 3wks ago.

Great gig by the way, audio is excellent too.
Posted by: devoleb, April 8, 2017, 6:37pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from chemicalboy
Officially 'Grown'...

Same here :-)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, April 8, 2017, 10:22pm; Reply: 147
Officially forgotten I'm afraid apart from 3 songs
Posted by: glazball, August 9, 2017, 4:11pm; Reply: 148
Anyone else seeing DM this year?  I went back and forth on buying tix and never did.  They are playing a venue that isn't my favorite (big outdoor amphitheater) and I've already seen them several times, so I had resolved to just pass on the show this year.  The last time I saw DM was almost 10 years ago in 2008...  sheesh time flies.

However, my sister bought 2 tix for my wife and me and gave them to me last week as a birthday gift!  So, looks like I'll get to see them after all!  I'm quite excited even though I'm not a huge fan of big shows these days... but DM is after all one of my favorite bands.  We all have general admission (lawn) tix which also isn't ideal, but have you seen what DM is asking for seats??  $200 and up!  It's ridiculous that people will pay that.  Who has that kind of money for a concert?

A funny side note:  growing up, this sister was into bands like Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc and always complained that I was constantly listening to DM and Erasure (my youngest sister always has been a fan though.)  I don't know what happened, but it's awesome she's finally seen the light.  I guess playing all that synthpop finally got under her skin after all these years!  She and her bf also saw Erasure (without me! I was unable to go) when they came in 2014.

Looking forward to a great show in September with all my loved ones!
Posted by: MikeyC, August 9, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 149
glazball, can't wait for your review! I'm seeing them at MSG in NYC also in September! (with my close friends from college who joined me on the long journey of synth/electronic die-hard fandom...) 8)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, August 10, 2017, 1:26am; Reply: 150
They are playing a mid size arena here- 5000 capacity. But I have not been a fan of the rock act incarnation. Since they morphed into this stage on Songs of Faith, I have seen them two times and of the two, I walked out of Songs of the UniverseTour but the 1998 Singles Tour was amazing and a real pack to synth roots.

I don't think they will ever return to this since Alan Wilder added the magic synth parts that ended after SOFAD. They havebeen hit and miss in my ears since that point. so I'll pass on this one again.
Posted by: glazball, August 10, 2017, 5:30pm; Reply: 151
I keep waiting / hoping that Alan will come back and work with DM.  It could happen!  After all, he and Vince have both done remixes for DM and if VCMG can happen, why not a DM reunion?  What's Alan doing these days anyway?  The last Recoil album I'm aware of is subHuman and it's 10 years old now.
Posted by: mikegouty, August 10, 2017, 6:49pm; Reply: 152
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0903wbz

Tonight at 10:00 p.m , available on I player shortly after
Posted by: mr first, August 10, 2017, 8:56pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from glazball
I keep waiting / hoping that Alan will come back and work with DM.  It could happen!  After all, he and Vince have both done remixes for DM and if VCMG can happen, why not a DM reunion?  What's Alan doing these days anyway?  The last Recoil album I'm aware of is subHuman and it's 10 years old now.

As much as I would like to see Alan back cos personally think that DM have never been as good as when he was In the band except for playing the angel I can't see him and Fletcher surviving together in the studio or a tour
Posted by: PolarPiano, August 11, 2017, 3:02am; Reply: 154
I don't think it will happen. Look at it in this way - Alan was in the band for approximately 13 years and is now gone for nearly 22 years so he spent more time outside the band than in the band so to speak. Also, Depeche Mode is still successful, selling out arenas etc. so there is really no need for Alan in a way. And even if Alan would come back, we wouldn't get another Violator or Music for the Masses anyway. They all have moved on and Alan is on record saying that he doesn't like the old stuff anymore. He's also auctioned off a lot of his old equipment and Depeche Mode memorabilia a couple of years ago. Agreed, I prefer the older albums as well but at the end of the day, it is what it is. I have to admit though, the new Spirit album got me back on track. There are certainly some pearls on that one.  
Posted by: kwerty, August 11, 2017, 11:23am; Reply: 155
Quoted from PolarPiano
Alan was in the band for approximately 13 years and is now gone for nearly 22 years...

Thanks for making me feel old.

Posted by: Pat.2000, August 11, 2017, 2:44pm; Reply: 156
Quoted from mr first

I can't see him and Fletcher surviving together in the studio or a tour

Andy's studio contributions had always been a mystery after 1986.

On stage he plays basic sound effects eg. he presses the key that played the car engine sound in Behind the Wheel (to quote Martin in 2005)
I do wish he was a bit more convincing on stage though. You'd think he'd want to be seen playing more than just clapping and dancing, his kids must cringe when they watch that.

Even if he mimed a bit more playing he'd get less ridiculed
Posted by: glazball, August 11, 2017, 2:56pm; Reply: 157
Points all well taken, PolarPiano.  Still, we (I) can hope and daydream, but damn - when you phrase it that way (13 years in vs. 22 out) it sure seems a long shot!

Even scratching the idea of a big DM reunion or reformation, maybe a one-off side project could happen?  AWMG?  What if Martin wrote some songs, Alan worked the studio magic and Martin and/or Dave on vocals.  It would essentially be a DM reunion.  Screw Fletch, he can watch but he's pretty useless.  As far as I'm concerned, he could be kicked out completely.  His only role seems to be giving the impression that DM is a "band" versus a "duo" if it were just Martin and Dave.

This topic got me curious and I saw on Wikipedia that Alan performed with DM around 2010 for a charity show, which was news to me.  That must have been great to see.
Posted by: mr first, August 11, 2017, 3:38pm; Reply: 158
In the biography of Depeche mode it says on numerous occasions that fletch is the voice of Martin ,cos he is that shy plus they are best mates
Posted by: glazball, August 11, 2017, 4:27pm; Reply: 159
lol, Martin gets on stage in front of 20,000 people in short shorts spattered in glitter to sing and play guitar, yet he is shy!  Gotta love MLG!  I know what you mean though.  I'm kind of soft-spoken like Martin; however, you'll never see me on a stage like that!

I know he and Andy are friends, and I've always gotten the impression that he and Dave aren't quite as close.  I think if Alan and Fletch had both left over the years, Martin and Dave wouldn't have kept going.  There just doesn't seem to be as much chemistry there, but that is completely speculation on my part.  Even the song they co-wrote on Spirit (You Move), though it's good it's a rather plain song overall.  Or maybe "safe" would be a better description.  I feel like it was written almost because they have to work together, being the only 2 useful band members left, but there's no real oomph behind it.
Posted by: mr first, August 11, 2017, 4:41pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from glazball
lol, Martin gets on stage in front of 20,000 people in short shorts spattered in glitter to sing and play guitar, yet he is shy!  Gotta love MLG!  I know what you mean though.  I'm kind of soft-spoken like Martin; however, you'll never see me on a stage like that!

I know he and Andy are friends, and I've always gotten the impression that he and Dave aren't quite as close.  I think if Alan and Fletch had both left over the years, Martin and Dave wouldn't have kept going.  There just doesn't seem to be as much chemistry there, but that is completely speculation on my part.  Even the song they co-wrote on Spirit (You Move), though it's good it's a rather plain song overall.  Or maybe "safe" would be a better description.  I feel like it was written almost because they have to work together, being the only 2 useful band members left, but there's no real oomph behind it.

So is andy bell and he is even more outlandish,I should have said Martin is shy but also very non confrontational and that is where flecth speaks up for him
Posted by: MikeyC, August 11, 2017, 11:37pm; Reply: 161
I think Fletch also handles many of the business/behind-the-scenes elements of the band. So that's an important contribution even if it isn't music-related.  8)
Posted by: kwerty, August 12, 2017, 9:00am; Reply: 162
Quoted from MikeyC
I think Fletch also handles many of the business/behind-the-scenes elements of the band

I know they used to say that many years ago, but I think that was before they finally appointed Jonathan Kessler as their actual manager.
Posted by: kwerty, August 12, 2017, 9:04am; Reply: 163
I think now Fletch is more like the band mascot. A bit like Bez from the Happy Mondays. But without the dancing.
Posted by: Pat.2000, August 12, 2017, 9:26am; Reply: 164
Quoted Text
Fletcher's role within Depeche Mode has often been a topic of speculation. In early incarnations of the band, he played (electric and later synth) bass.

Quoted Text
In the studio and during live shows, Fletcher does contribute a variety of supporting synthesizer parts, including bass parts, pads, strings and drone sounds, and various samples.

From Wikipedia
Posted by: Mikedepaz, August 12, 2017, 12:24pm; Reply: 165
He is in America affectionately called The Clapper
Posted by: Pat.2000, August 12, 2017, 2:36pm; Reply: 166
Well, once he gets going he goes like the clappers

Posted by: Tin Soldier, September 11, 2017, 5:15pm; Reply: 167
Had to pop back on (I will return to prolificacy soon) to say I'm going to MSG tonight. Will skip the DM tee for my recent Erasure multi-logo one. Let's see if I get beat up.
Posted by: luminous786, September 11, 2017, 7:56pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Had to pop back on (I will return to prolificacy soon) to say I'm going to MSG tonight. Will skip the DM tee for my recent Erasure multi-logo one. Let's see if I get beat up.

I was there too!   Section B Row 12.  What did you think?  

I felt the setlist was a bit poor.  They try so hard to be a rock band don't they?  I also thought Anton got really lazy with stage design and visuals.  Felt like they were running on autopilot, but there were certainly highlights.  In your room, Somebody, Never Let Me Down Again, Cover Me and of course Everything Counts which I had not heard live before.  
Posted by: Tin Soldier, September 11, 2017, 9:09pm; Reply: 169
No, I meant I have tix for tonight!

Which you have now spoiled, thankyouverymuch. ;)
Posted by: MikeyC, September 11, 2017, 11:58pm; Reply: 170
Have fun Tin Soldier!

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I saw them on Saturday night! I, too, had some issues with the set-list. There are some great tracks on "Spirit" and they do a couple of them, but they also do the blandest tracks that havevery little melody or soul. It's not very smart to follow a gorgeous classic with one of these newbies because it makes you think "how is the same band responsible for "Everything Counts" AND "Poison Heart"???

Loved the opening... World In My Eyes... Everything Counts... HOME -- the best rendition I've ever heard of it, GO MARTIN!!... Walking In My Shoes.

And yes the visuals were lacking. But overall it looked great and just playing in -- and experiencing -- MSG is thrilling in my eyes!
Posted by: luminous786, September 12, 2017, 1:39am; Reply: 171
Quoted from Tin Soldier
No, I meant I have tix for tonight!

Which you have now spoiled, thankyouverymuch. ;)

alright my fault.  Owe you pre-gig cocktails the next time Erasure are in town.  
Posted by: Tin Soldier, September 13, 2017, 1:02pm; Reply: 172
Nah, no worries. If anything, I should thank many of you for poo-pooing DM lately; to the point my expectations were low enough to be pleasantly surprised.  ;D

Me, I was technically on the floor (which is the best I can say about my seating). Short of starting a GoFundMe, getting into the "I was hit with Dave's sweat" section was a non-starter. As was said by others, the show was less-classic heavy than what Erasure would do, but I didn't go in expecting more. An unplugged version of Strangelove didn't grab me at all either., but I was impressed by a fairly classic rendition of Black Celebration. I was touched by their recognition of 9/11 first responders with Bowie's "Heroes", but it was a little flat, and Dave's intro for it seemed more wrote than heartfelt. I'll give the benefit of feeling the constraints of time, though.

The drum solos...well, they just teetered over acceptability. Only once did I wonder how many songs must have been cut from the setlist for them.  8)

Also, I know the band probably have longtime reasons to de-emphasize Enjoy The Silence as one of, or "the", obvious closer(s), but Personal Jesus being the closer spot only made the fact ETS placement as the penultimate song pre-encore set more anti-climactic. I think folks were all aware enough of the time not to even imagine this could be a closer, and give it the appropriate "punched-up" response. I think they really took the teeth out of ETS by doing that.

Lastly, maybe it was the reverb and the arena acoustics (at least where I was), but it almost sounded as if Martin missed a couple chords in PJ, and while Dave did a good job, but looked a tad more worn-out on it. Overall, the vocals from Dave and Martin throughout the show were great though. They hold up so much it's easy to see how they can still command arena tours on that alone.

I just need to download all the MUCH better YT vids out there of the show. Really, we were all cackling when the 1:5 ratio of people filming the gig with cellphones immediately jumped to 1:2 on ETS.  ;D

Boy, am I a sucker for a tour scarf. Got two (Where's the Erasure ones these days?). Only now am I realizing what skipping those could have meant for my seating...damn, damn, damn.

Oh, close your eyes if you don't wanna see, but here comes the setlist in 3...2...1...
Posted by: Mikedepaz, September 14, 2017, 2:33am; Reply: 173
Tampa show cancelled and Miami show maybe due to Hurricane Irma
Posted by: MikeyC, September 14, 2017, 2:56am; Reply: 174
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Nah, no worries. If anything, I should thank many of you for poo-pooing DM lately; to the point my expectations were low enough to be pleasantly surprised.  ;D

Me, I was technically on the floor (which is the best I can say about my seating). Short of starting a GoFundMe, getting into the "I was hit with Dave's sweat" section was a non-starter. As was said by others, the show was less-classic heavy than what Erasure would do, but I didn't go in expecting more. An unplugged version of Strangelove didn't grab me at all either., but I was impressed by a fairly classic rendition of Black Celebration. I was touched by their recognition of 9/11 first responders with Bowie's "Heroes", but it was a little flat, and Dave's intro for it seemed more wrote than heartfelt. I'll give the benefit of feeling the constraints of time, though.

The drum solos...well, they just teetered over acceptability. Only once did I wonder how many songs must have been cut from the setlist for them.  8)

Also, I know the band probably have longtime reasons to de-emphasize Enjoy The Silence as one of, or "the", obvious closer(s), but Personal Jesus being the closer spot only made the fact ETS placement as the penultimate song pre-encore set more anti-climactic. I think folks were all aware enough of the time not to even imagine this could be a closer, and give it the appropriate "punched-up" response. I think they really took the teeth out of ETS by doing that.

Lastly, maybe it was the reverb and the arena acoustics (at least where I was), but it almost sounded as if Martin missed a couple chords in PJ, and while Dave did a good job, but looked a tad more worn-out on it. Overall, the vocals from Dave and Martin throughout the show were great though. They hold up so much it's easy to see how they can still command arena tours on that alone.

I just need to download all the MUCH better YT vids out there of the show. Really, we were all cackling when the 1:5 ratio of people filming the gig with cellphones immediately jumped to 1:2 on ETS.  ;D

Boy, am I a sucker for a tour scarf. Got two (Where's the Erasure ones these days?). Only now am I realizing what skipping those could have meant for my seating...damn, damn, damn.

Oh, close your eyes if you don't wanna see, but here comes the setlist in 3...2...1...

A great read! Thanks for your review, Tin Soldier!  8)

P.S. - wasn't "Home" gorgeous??
Posted by: Tin Soldier, September 15, 2017, 5:31pm; Reply: 175
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Tampa show cancelled and Miami show maybe due to Hurricane Irma

I'm SO sorry Mike. I feel a bit of a heel for rubbing it in with my critique...and having not emailed you to see how you were doing. :(

I really hope all is well with you and your loved ones. :)

Quoted from MikeyC

A great read! Thanks for your review, Tin Soldier!  8)

P.S. - wasn't "Home" gorgeous??

It was! I always want to hear more of Martin singing.

Which jogs my memory about after that when Dave acknowledged Martin, and then stepped over the applause to rush through to the other performing band members. I suppose it could be due to the constraints of time. I've no clue if he did it your night as well, but he did do it again later on. I don't know if there are issues between them, but the way he did it made me wonder if there were.

Incidentally, this apparent millionaire DM fan is following them on tour with great seats and a steadier hand than I. His MSG vids are pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SchemeDM/videos?shelf_id=1&sort=dd&view=0
Posted by: MikeyC, September 16, 2017, 2:06am; Reply: 176
Quoted from Tin Soldier

I'm SO sorry Mike. I feel a bit of a heel for rubbing it in with my critique...and having not emailed you to see how you were doing. :(

I really hope all is well with you and your loved ones. :)

It was! I always want to hear more of Martin singing.

Which jogs my memory about after that when Dave acknowledged Martin, and then stepped over the applause to rush through to the other performing band members. I suppose it could be due to the constraints of time. I've no clue if he did it your night as well, but he did do it again later on. I don't know if there are issues between them, but the way he did it made me wonder if there were.

Incidentally, this apparent millionaire DM fan is following them on tour with great seats and a steadier hand than I. His MSG vids are pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SchemeDM/videos?shelf_id=1&sort=dd&view=0

Yes I've noticed that guy's videos!! However, they're mainly close-up, and I love a view from slightly further back so you're able to "take it all in" and appreciate the stage set, videos and lighting.  8)
Posted by: glazball, September 21, 2017, 2:37pm; Reply: 177
After seeing a minor spoiler in this thread about some of the songs performed, I quit checking it and I'm finally Catching Up (With Depeche Mode) now :)  We saw them last night here in Austin.

** SPOILER ALERT **

I was with friends and family who like DM, but don't know every song forwards and backwards like me.  We all had a great time....  BUT, from my point of view as an overcritical superfan, I thought the show was lacking.  Like others said above, I thought the setlist was rather poor.  Too many songs were chosen because of the heavy drum presence.  And imo, that's not what DM is about.  Drums are a nice touch on certain songs, sure... but they rely too much on Eigner's drumming for that "loud concert rock band effect."

Barrel of a Gun - who wants to hear that nowadays?  (Plus, Dave botched the lyrics.)  Poison Heart is simply a poor song.  During the encore, I Feel You was followed immediately by Personal Jesus which was kind of a bad choice too, since they are very similar.  I even felt like they kind of botched Enjoy the Silence - the extended instrumental parts, which they have done really well in the past (ie, live version on Condemnation single), seemed to just sound messy.  Where's the Revolution also sounded messy to me, almost uninspired.

Highlights for me were Home and Everything Counts, which was nicely remixed.  And of course, Martin's A Question of Lust and Somebody are always wonderful.

I was surprised when I couldn't immediately place David Bowie's "Heroes".  I told my friends "I know every DM song... what is this??" and was definitely not expecting them to perform a cover.  It also fell a bit flat with me, but I admit to not being the world's greatest Bowie fan either.  Many of you may already know this, but "Heroes" is the song that Vince heard Dave singing which prompted him to invite Dave to the group.  So, I have a feeling that they chose Heroes to "come full circle" if you will.  This could likely be their last tour and maybe this was their way of saying so, since that's the song that helped get DM started in the first place.

All in all, we had a great time and I'm not even hungover this morning!
Posted by: mr first, September 22, 2017, 3:21pm; Reply: 178
Quoted from glazball
After seeing a minor spoiler in this thread about some of the songs performed, I quit checking it and I'm finally Catching Up (With Depeche Mode) now :)  We saw them last night here in Austin.

** SPOILER ALERT **

I was with friends and family who like DM, but don't know every song forwards and backwards like me.  We all had a great time....  BUT, from my point of view as an overcritical superfan, I thought the show was lacking.  Like others said above, I thought the setlist was rather poor.  Too many songs were chosen because of the heavy drum presence.  And imo, that's not what DM is about.  Drums are a nice touch on certain songs, sure... but they rely too much on Eigner's drumming for that "loud concert rock band effect."

Barrel of a Gun - who wants to hear that nowadays?  (Plus, Dave botched the lyrics.)  Poison Heart is simply a poor song.  During the encore, I Feel You was followed immediately by Personal Jesus which was kind of a bad choice too, since they are very similar.  I even felt like they kind of botched Enjoy the Silence - the extended instrumental parts, which they have done really well in the past (ie, live version on Condemnation single), seemed to just sound messy.  Where's the Revolution also sounded messy to me, almost uninspired.

Highlights for me were Home and Everything Counts, which was nicely remixed.  And of course, Martin's A Question of Lust and Somebody are always wonderful.

I was surprised when I couldn't immediately place David Bowie's "Heroes".  I told my friends "I know every DM song... what is this??" and was definitely not expecting them to perform a cover.  It also fell a bit flat with me, but I admit to not being the world's greatest Bowie fan either.  Many of you may already know this, but "Heroes" is the song that Vince heard Dave singing which prompted him to invite Dave to the group.  So, I have a feeling that they chose Heroes to "come full circle" if you will.  This could likely be their last tour and maybe this was their way of saying so, since that's the song that helped get DM started in the first place.

All in all, we had a great time and I'm not even hungover this morning!

Do you think it will be there last tour I hope not
Posted by: mr first, September 22, 2017, 3:36pm; Reply: 179
It would be a shame if DM didn't tour again,I've grown up with Depeche they were the band that started my love affair with electronic music when I heard everything counts back in 83 ,I know the band aren't getting any younger as we all are and along with erasure are at the side of there careers where they are slowing down but I couldn't stand the thought if the band's that are close to me were to call it a day on the touring front ,I would find it difficult to get the same sort of excitement with any other band live
Posted by: glazball, September 22, 2017, 7:22pm; Reply: 180
I was just completely speculating.  I have nothing to back it up other than their choice of covering Heroes.  I mean think about it - when have DM ever done a cover of *anything*, especially live?  Of course there was Route 66, but other than that, I'm at a loss.  I think we'd have to go back to '82 or '83 tour with I Like It to find another DM cover.  (Edit: I do seem to recall DM did perform Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth once or twice around '88 but that was highly unusual).

To my mind, covering Heroes is their way of paying tribute to an artist that greatly influenced them.  So then I have to wonder *why* they decided to do it now, after all these years??
Posted by: MikeyC, September 23, 2017, 1:25am; Reply: 181
Quoted from glazball
I was just completely speculating.  I have nothing to back it up other than their choice of covering Heroes.  I mean think about it - when have DM ever done a cover of *anything*, especially live?  Of course there was Route 66, but other than that, I'm at a loss.  I think we'd have to go back to '82 or '83 tour with I Like It to find another DM cover.  (Edit: I do seem to recall DM did perform Never Turn Your Back on Mother Earth once or twice around '88 but that was highly unusual).

To my mind, covering Heroes is their way of paying tribute to an artist that greatly influenced them.  So then I have to wonder *why* they decided to do it now, after all these years??

I think they decided to do it now as a tribute to Bowie who recently died, and Dave is passionate about Bowie.  8)

I would also bet they do more world tours, or at least one more.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, September 23, 2017, 2:50am; Reply: 182
I don't know if I've gotten old and grumpy but I will say DM does absolutely nothing for me in one bit. I had a chance to goand see this Tour and simply was not motivated to go. One thing for me is I know you can never go back to the glory DM days but I have never liked the post Violator evolution both musically and tour. except for one brief moment when they did the awesome Singles Tour in 98. For that brief period it was like the early days all over again.
Posted by: Cesar, September 23, 2017, 6:18pm; Reply: 183
[zumic.com] "Heroes" - Depeche Mode (David Bowie Cover) [YouTube Music Video] (Source)
[wnypapers.com] Depeche Mode release cover video of David Bowie's 'Heroes' on song's 40th anniversary (Source)

Depeche Mode - Heroes (Highline Sessions Version)

César
Posted by: Mikedepaz, September 23, 2017, 7:31pm; Reply: 184
But I do like this cover of Heros they just did
Posted by: MikeyC, September 24, 2017, 12:21am; Reply: 185
^ I liked it too! It started out a little slow but gradually became more exciting and inspiring...  8)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, September 24, 2017, 3:21am; Reply: 186
It's also odd that OMD just did a over of Heros for BBC radio
Posted by: chemicalboy, September 24, 2017, 8:39am; Reply: 187
Quoted from Cesar

Class.
Posted by: DAJ, October 26, 2017, 5:16pm; Reply: 188
Depeche Mode is nominated this year for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  If they get in, does that mean Vince gets in?  I should think so...
Posted by: DAJ, October 26, 2017, 7:04pm; Reply: 189
Quoted from DAJ
Depeche Mode is nominated this year for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  If they get in, does that mean Vince gets in?  I should think so...

Found the answer--he is listed on the ballot page as a member, so yes.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, October 26, 2017, 8:04pm; Reply: 190
I'm sure he'd show up. Would Alan, though?
Posted by: MikeyC, October 26, 2017, 10:51pm; Reply: 191
Quoted from Tin Soldier
I'm sure he'd show up. Would Alan, though?

Considering he joined them for that charity performance at The Royal Albert Hall a couple of years ago, I'd say probably yes.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, October 27, 2017, 4:22am; Reply: 192
Fingers crossed, then. :)
Posted by: kwerty, October 27, 2017, 11:00am; Reply: 193
Nobody has pointed out yet that the Hall Of Fame is a PUBLIC VOTE!

Closing date is 5th December 2015.

There are 19 nominees, and Depeche are up against the likes of Dire Straits, Bon Jovi, Moody Blues, Radiohead and Nina Simone to name a few, so I'm not too confident they're in for a win.

Anyway, we can vote here:

https://www.rockhall.com/fan-vote/2018-fan-vote
Posted by: glazball, October 27, 2017, 4:22pm; Reply: 194
Thanks for the link kwerty.  I voted :)

I wish though that the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame would change its name to "Modern Music" Hall of Fame, or something like that.  Too many inductees and nominees are not really "rock & roll", Depeche Mode included, and it just seems out of date with the current times.
Posted by: DAJ, October 27, 2017, 6:22pm; Reply: 195
Just to clarify--the final vote is not a public vote.  Members get to vote for five nominees, and the ENTIRE PUBLIC, as a whole, can choose five nominees as the equivalent of ONE ballot.  This is just a publicity stunt--the five highest vote getters amongst the public are not guaranteed to get in--but one could speculate as to the amount of influence this process might have.  In any case, Bon Jovi are far-and-away the public's favorite right now...
Posted by: Tin Soldier, December 5, 2017, 4:06pm; Reply: 196
Stunning...this was on DRUDGEREPORT as well:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-12-05/a-band-without-a-no-1-hit-is-outselling-bruno-mars-ed-sheeran
Posted by: MikeyC, December 5, 2017, 11:55pm; Reply: 197
Wow, great article! Thanks for posting!!  8)
Posted by: Pat.2000, December 7, 2017, 12:49pm; Reply: 198
"Oh l know depeche mode, they were big...back in the 80s"
How many times have you heard this............
Posted by: glazball, December 7, 2017, 3:33pm; Reply: 199
Or when you see 80's retrospectives and they play Enjoy the Silence.  That was 1990!  As far as DM, Erasure, etc go, it seems even the early 90's stuff gets swallowed into the "80's" category.

Great article.  It warms me inside to know that more people are interested in seeing Depeche Mode than Justin Bieber.  Gives me a little hope for humanity!!
Posted by: Pat.2000, December 7, 2017, 3:40pm; Reply: 200
The current tour setlist now has Everything Counts & Stripped.

The Portugal show NOS festival on youtube is the best video of the tour yet.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, December 10, 2017, 4:36am; Reply: 201
Sad to say but I've moved on from Depeche Mode. I just don't connect with their music anymore.
Posted by: Gareth Pugh, December 10, 2017, 2:45pm; Reply: 202
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Sad to say but I've moved on from Depeche Mode. I just don't connect with their music anymore.

It's strange, I've been a big fan of DM since the late 80s, and I genuinely think Spirit has been their strongest album overall for a very long time. But, both at the London Stadium gig in June and the O2 at the end of November, for the first time ever at one of their gigs, I just wasn't feeling it as much as i used to, I can't put my finger on why except maybe that they played so many tracks I've heard tour after tour (a very 90s heavy set). Great tracks, for sure, but I didn't feel any evolution or new ideas since the last few tours. Not sure what, but I think they need something to shake it up a bit. Or maybe because I like so much of Spirit, I'd sooner hear more of that at the expense, if need be, I Feel You or It's No Good for the umpteenth time.
Posted by: luminous786, December 11, 2017, 5:44pm; Reply: 203
Bring back Alan!!!! Kidding, it's never going to happen unfortunately.  
Posted by: mr first, December 11, 2017, 8:20pm; Reply: 204
As long as they don't bring back vince
Posted by: Mikedepaz, December 11, 2017, 11:12pm; Reply: 205
Hey I'm happy other still enjoy them. Maybe I've just  not into their music anymore, or tours.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, February 8, 2018, 8:01pm; Reply: 206
They're coming back to NYC at Barclays, June 6th.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 8, 2018, 10:15pm; Reply: 207
They will sell out again, looks like more dates to added
Posted by: MikeyC, February 9, 2018, 12:10am; Reply: 208
This tour sure has been a juggernaut for them -- it's not every time they swing back to N. America for a second leg!! Wow!
Posted by: Tin Soldier, February 9, 2018, 12:44am; Reply: 209
Oneupmanship, I tell ya. They saw the boys with three dates at the Beacon and couldn't help themselves.  8)
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 9, 2018, 1:35am; Reply: 210
Nah, they play bigger venues
Posted by: Tin Soldier, February 9, 2018, 2:01am; Reply: 211
Are you secretly a bigger DM fan than Erasure???  :P
Posted by: Pat.2000, February 9, 2018, 2:16am; Reply: 212
I'm not surprised really. It's brilliant. Typically, the last show that wasn't a sell out (2000ish short) is London in november. Goes to proves Andys gripe that they are so well liked all over the world except their own country. Glastonbury should be a must, you'd think by now.

The only show on YT thats complete and from a proper live stream is the NOS gig from Portugal. And l must say, it's excellent. Especially everything counts. This whole tour is sounding rather more electronic. Shame about some overenthusiastic drumming in parts.
Posted by: Mikedepaz, February 9, 2018, 2:42am; Reply: 213
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Are you secretly a bigger DM fan than Erasure???  :P

Actually I have totally taken DM out of my musical rotation. I will always be on the Erasure Army
Posted by: Pat.2000, February 9, 2018, 6:00am; Reply: 214
I'm always more in the mood to play Erasure than DM.

Because they have a lot more songs I can play that lift me up. I've gotta be in the proper mood for DM, and often st*ned
Posted by: glazball, February 9, 2018, 2:53pm; Reply: 215
Quoted from Mikedepaz

Actually I have totally taken DM out of my musical rotation. I will always be on the Erasure Army

Except Speak & Spell right?  Right?? ;)

Lately I've felt like I need to be in the right mood for DM's newer stuff, pretty much everything from PTA onward.  I'll listen to Black Celebration or Speak & Spell any time though!

I think it's great they are doing one more jaunt around the US.  San Antonio isn't too far for me, but I'll pass since I just saw them.  Hope all you fellow Texas fans have fun if you go.  Say hi to Martin for me!
Posted by: Pat.2000, February 9, 2018, 4:07pm; Reply: 216
^me too

Playing the angel is the last one l had on repeat. Since then there are so many tracks l skip
Posted by: mr first, February 9, 2018, 4:19pm; Reply: 217
Quoted from Pat.2000
^me too

Playing the angel is the last one l had on repeat. Since then there are so many tracks l skip

I agree playing the angel was the last good DM album,since then I don't have the same interest in them anymore
Posted by: devoleb, February 10, 2018, 12:01pm; Reply: 218
I'm a huge fan also of DM and I don't understand those fellas who can be against Erasure or against DM ....think they both have 'it' :-)
Posted by: Pat.2000, February 10, 2018, 1:04pm; Reply: 219
^Like the PSB fans who say things like ''at least they aren't on the 80s nostalgia circuit like Andy Bell LOL''

Why be against anyone just because you think there's rivalry?
Posted by: luminous786, February 11, 2018, 2:20am; Reply: 220
Does anyone know if the set is expected to be different for DM this time around?  I'm not sure I will go if it is the same show.  I thought Anton did a poor job this time around on the visuals.  They were distracting and took away from the songs.  
Posted by: Tin Soldier, February 11, 2018, 2:36am; Reply: 221
Hmm, good point. If the same, I'm less inclined myself, although a far better seat than what I had might have me there.

If someone finds out one way or the other, please post here a.s.a.p. I'd rather know before I buy than afterward.  ;)
Posted by: Pat.2000, February 11, 2018, 7:23am; Reply: 222
Set list is changed ever so slightly sometimes.

Check out

https://www.setlist.fm/
Posted by: MikeyC, February 11, 2018, 4:50pm; Reply: 223
Oh wow, I just checked the set-list for this past week’s European shows and its changed in a pretty big way since the North American leg in the Fall! Now they do It’s No Good, Precious, A Question of Time and more!
Posted by: Pat.2000, February 11, 2018, 5:30pm; Reply: 224
Useless was one of my fave tracks from Ultra.
Haven't had a chance to hear it well on YT yet
Posted by: Tin Soldier, February 11, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 225
Quoted from MikeyC
Oh wow, I just checked the set-list for this past week’s European shows and its changed in a pretty big way since the North American leg in the Fall! Now they do It’s No Good, Precious, A Question of Time and more!

I see they save that last one for the encore now. Better, but it STILL bugs me ETS is not in the encore. It's damned anticlimactic to have it not even be the last track before the encore.
Posted by: Pat.2000, February 11, 2018, 9:03pm; Reply: 226
A few of Martins slow songs aren't that great
Posted by: luminous786, February 12, 2018, 6:30am; Reply: 227
Quoted from Pat.2000
A few of Martins slow songs aren't that great

Really?  Martin's slow songs are the highlight of these shows for me.  We've heard all the hits before and they are largely the same versions they have been playing since the Exciter tour.  
Posted by: skippy, February 12, 2018, 3:21pm; Reply: 228
Quoted from luminous786
Martin's slow songs are the highlight of these shows for me.  We've heard all the hits before and they are largely the same versions they have been playing since the Exciter tour.  

I agree 100%.  My favorite part of a DM concert is when Martin does acoustic versions.

Just got my ticket.  Quite a bit pricier than Erasure.
Posted by: Tin Soldier, February 12, 2018, 7:04pm; Reply: 229
Quoted from skippy

I agree 100%.  My favorite part of a DM concert is when Martin does acoustic versions.

Just got my ticket.  Quite a bit pricier than Erasure.

Where? :)

Incidentally, left a new PM for you since we last chatted.

Posted by: skippy, February 13, 2018, 5:19am; Reply: 230
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Where? :)

Section 6 at Barclays.  Hopefully I'll get a good view.  Last year I saw them at MSG and had the worst seats at any concert I've attended.  I was in the nosebleeds behind the stage.  

Any of the NYC erasure fans going to the DM show?
Posted by: Tin Soldier, February 13, 2018, 6:11am; Reply: 231
Didn't work out on my end, I'm afraid. Life got in the way...even of using a cellphone (although that rarely works out well in this kind of situation anyhow).
Print page generated: May 25, 2018, 3:35am