Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
THE BIG SECRET IS OUT !!! EBX6
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    The Future Album (20**)  ›  THE BIG SECRET IS OUT !!! EBX6
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

THE BIG SECRET IS OUT !!! EBX6  This thread currently has 2,291 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Tin Soldier
December 7, 2018, 11:45pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
57 days 21 hours 10 minutes
Quoted from kwerty

Yeah... the EBX prefix is really just part of the catalogue number. I don't think it was ever intended to be the actual name of the series - it's just that
it was featured as part of the design of the original single box sets and it's sort of retrospectively become the name of them.

I think the sets were just called 'Erasure 1', 'Erasure 2' etc at the time (not very inspiring for sure), with each disc being called EBX 1.1, EBX 1.2 etc.

EBX was just a shorthand way to refer to them which has kind of stuck.

Well, did anyone not think the BX meant box?  

Yeah, FMTM using the prefix seemed to be the last nail in the coffin of continuing the singles series, but look at this now. I suppose if WE ALL BUY THIS AND STREAM IT we "might" get a physical boxed version...who knows.

I should also point out there was somewhat of a precedent in the ERAS series also diverging from it's format with, ironically, it's fifth release ERAS5 (The radio promo version of Pop!).

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 15 - 25
Mikedepaz
December 8, 2018, 2:14am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 14 hours 42 minutes
Mute royally messed up the nice matrix they had for catalog numbers. I think the only logic now is that all Erasure albums end in 5- STUMM 25 for Wonderland in 1985 to STUMM 435 World Be Live. Pretty good that they always reserved that 5 spot on all albums

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 25
Tin Soldier
December 8, 2018, 5:33am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Now THAT is OCD I can respect.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 17 - 25
glazball
December 10, 2018, 4:11pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 23 hours 24 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Yeah, FMTM using the prefix seemed to be the last nail in the coffin of continuing the singles series, but look at this now. I suppose if WE ALL BUY THIS AND STREAM IT we "might" get a physical boxed version...who knows.

That's been my thinking over the last few years.  "If I don't support [this current item] now, we won't ever get [even better item] later."

I've been waiting for more EBX collections (on CD, not streaming) and album re-issues for YEARS, and this one-two punch with these half-assed releases tells me all my support and waiting and hoping for good news was all in vain.  I'm totally crestfallen and I feel stupid for ever having been optimistic.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 25
Mikedepaz
December 11, 2018, 1:15am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 14 hours 42 minutes
BMG has no loyalty to the historical sequence of the Mute Catalog historical sequence. They will use it but without logic hence what is applied here already.

Mute screwed up the great ERAS promo series after 4

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 25
Tin Soldier
December 11, 2018, 9:16am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball

That's been my thinking over the last few years.  "If I don't support [this current item] now, we won't ever get [even better item] later."

I've been waiting for more EBX collections (on CD, not streaming) and album re-issues for YEARS, and this one-two punch with these half-assed releases tells me all my support and waiting and hoping for good news was all in vain.  I'm totally crestfallen and I feel stupid for ever having been optimistic.

I understand your frustration, but I haven't exactly drank the kool-aid on being slightly more upbeat.

The argument is that labels/groups/distributors will take notice of a new release not selling well as a sign to revise their stance and invest more in production and in curating the next such release.

As I typed that, I almost laughed. Really.

I think I'm the greater cynic here in that I think the only avenue to future releases even coming close to what we really want is sales. In my view, sales, with additional feedback via email/mail/social media, will be taken in greater consideration compared to steep dropoffs in sales, even with similar feedback. The latter action implies more risk of investment in those future releases; most especially to those non-creative types in charge of the money.

Show the BMG suits that Erasure/Yazoo fans weren't there for a release, and I'd expect that revenue to be shifted towards some other "surer" thing - more likely than not, not even a Mute catalogue artist.

Right now we have a price-fixed, keep that in mind, release (Wild! reissue) which they likely feel has a better chance at doing well. I fully believe that choice was due to the more lukewarm response to Four/Three Pieces, and even FMTM. I'm not saying we should blame ourselves at all, but I do think this is the way those in power see this.

As for me, for all its faults, I think the true Pledge-based system of exclusive tiered releases, rather than the first availability of a destined commercial release alone, might be the best option here. We certainly know my dream boxsets might not fly off the shelves in the thousands that a Springsteen (blech) one will, but one accompanied later by a more modest mass-market release might. That is, if we commit from the outset.

Obviously, here with the EBX series boxsets, their original nature and format makes production easier than album reissues which call for a bit more of a unique approach each time (at least hoped to be). However, do remember that there was a fair amount of displeasure at that original format, as it was considered a "corner-cutting" response to the DMBX sets which were full-on singles sets. I was in that camp, and actually would still love to see the same care taken going forward.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 20 - 25
glazball
December 12, 2018, 2:46pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 23 hours 24 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier

I think I'm the greater cynic here in that I think the only avenue to future releases even coming close to what we really want is sales. In my view, sales, with additional feedback via email/mail/social media, will be taken in greater consideration compared to steep dropoffs in sales, even with similar feedback. The latter action implies more risk of investment in those future releases; most especially to those non-creative types in charge of the money.

Show the BMG suits that Erasure/Yazoo fans weren't there for a release, and I'd expect that revenue to be shifted towards some other "surer" thing - more likely than not, not even a Mute catalogue artist.

Surely, I agree that sales will drive any business's decisions.  But if they don't offer what people want, they can't expect the sales.  It puts me, as the lowly consumer, in a Catch 22 with regards to Erasure releases.  Do I buy something to help support them when it's not exactly what I want, or do I not buy it to show them it's not exactly what I want?  No, I haven't purchased every Erasure release on release day (like the Always Best of), but I generally do, even when I feel the track listing is lacking.  

Back to the EBX6 collection - as we know, it is already incomplete and I find that so frustrating.  It could be argued that Mute/BMG are not continuing with the physical CD releases because all of the mixes and b-sides wont fit onto 1 CD (ie, I Love Saturday).  But if they are going digital only, there's no reason ANY track should be missing since there is no 80 minute CD time constraint.  (Of course, they could spread those over 2 discs)

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but EBX6 is also missing Fingers & Thumbs (Electrofinger Dub) - though it technically wasn't released with the F&T singles, it was released officially with the FMTM pre-orders and should be included imo.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 25
Tin Soldier
December 12, 2018, 5:43pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
Surely, I agree that sales will drive any business's decisions.  But if they don't offer what people want, they can't expect the sales.  It puts me, as the lowly consumer, in a Catch 22 with regards to Erasure releases.  Do I buy something to help support them when it's not exactly what I want, or do I not buy it to show them it's not exactly what I want?  No, I haven't purchased every Erasure release on release day (like the Always Best of), but I generally do, even when I feel the track listing is lacking.

Well, when it comes down to "supporting the band", buying the new single and album when it counts...counts. All else, in my view, is for personal enjoyment. V&A are living fairly well, and I suspect can still live a comfortable life (far more than mine) on proceeds from the existing catalogue.

Quoted from glazball
Back to the EBX6 collection - as we know, it is already incomplete and I find that so frustrating.  It could be argued that Mute/BMG are not continuing with the physical CD releases because all of the mixes and b-sides wont fit onto 1 CD (ie, I Love Saturday).  But if they are going digital only, there's no reason ANY track should be missing since there is no 80 minute CD time constraint.  (Of course, they could spread those over 2 discs)

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but EBX6 is also missing Fingers & Thumbs (Electrofinger Dub) - though it technically wasn't released with the F&T singles, it was released officially with the FMTM pre-orders and should be included imo.

Agreed, that the whole "kit and kaboodle' ought to go in; especially if it's digital-only. The established constraints of the original series need not be adhered to now.

However, if Mute/BMG somehow felt so hamstrung by the previous format (again, laughing here) so as to not continue due to the tracklistings for EBX6 and so on, I'd be on board for a reboot as I suggested earlier (DM-style).

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 22 - 25
kwerty
December 12, 2018, 7:19pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
13 days 12 minutes
Quoted from glazball
...if they are going digital only, there's no reason ANY track should be missing since there is no 80 minute CD time constraint.  (Of course, they could spread those over 2 discs).

Quoted from Tin Soldier
Agreed, that the whole "kit and kaboodle' ought to go in; especially if it's digital-only. The established constraints of the original series need not be adhered to now.

As as I said elsewhere, my belief is that these types of things are compiled from things that have already been digitally mastered so no extra
work/cost is required (notice how only the single versions are listed as having been re-mastered?
It's because they were already done for Total Pop).

And yet...

Quoted from glazball
Intergalactic Mix on the RttS US promo and BYSS on the ILS US single.

Quoted from guille37b
The Interglactix Mix also appears in the Belgian and Scandinavian CD Single.. And UK promos:

... they still managed to leave those off, even when they have the digitally mastered resources to include them!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 25
kwerty
December 12, 2018, 7:36pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
13 days 12 minutes
Quoted from Twilight Plus
True Love Wars (Omni Plus) from "Stay with me" 12" also not included. Shame!

It is a shame, and yet we have both the Twilight 2.0 AND Twilight Plus mixes of Fingers & Thumbs

As the latter is only longer by virtue of not fading our early, the former could have been left out entirely. It maybe makes some sense for both to
exist when they're divided onto separate discs*, but surely not on the same compilation!

But again, the reason I think the True Love Wars Omni Plus isn't included is due to the lack of any previous digitally mastered version.

*(although I was bit disappointed by that 'trick' even at the time!)

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 25
kwerty
December 12, 2018, 7:43pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
13 days 12 minutes
Quoted from glazball

What?!! And totally undermine what actually turned out to be one of the very few 'exclusives' as part of that purchase?!!

Seriously though I wouldn't object if they did included it (and if it was a matter of 'virtual room' just drop Twilight 2.0!), but wouldn't that make it
inconsistent with previous EBX releases? I don't recall there been anything that was not released as part of the official singles making its way
into those boxsets.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 25
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    The Future Album (20**)  ›  THE BIG SECRET IS OUT !!! EBX6

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread