Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
A return to Chorus? 2019
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Chorus (1991)  ›  A return to Chorus? 2019
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

A return to Chorus? 2019  This thread currently has 1,185 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Pughie
November 27, 2018, 7:15pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
159 days 7 hours 28 minutes
News of remixes ages ago now this tweet

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message
MikeyC
November 28, 2018, 1:23am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
9 days 4 hours 19 minutes
Very exciting!!!

Imagine those crisp, icy synths in a remastered edition!!

How about a finished, final version of "Tune 5" (Mirror to Your Soul)??  
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 1 - 36
Tin Soldier
November 28, 2018, 6:37am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
24 days 18 hours 18 minutes
This calls for David Wrench, or Komputer (I Start Counting/Fortran 5). With them involved...whoa starting to swoon here...I'd better grab a chair...  

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 36
kwerty
November 28, 2018, 12:27pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 20 hours 21 minutes
Exciting!

So anyway - here's my (slightly cynical ) prediction for disc 2! The B-sides and whatnot:

01. Over The Rainbow
02. Snappy
03. Vitamin C
04. La La La
05. Carry On Clangers (Full Length)
06. Let It Flow
07. Waiting For Sex (Full Length)
08. B3
09. Perfect Stranger (Acoustic Version)
10. Chorus (Vegan Mix)
11. Love To Hate You (LFO Modulated Filter Remix)
12. Am I Right (Grid Mix)
13. Breath Of Life (Umbilical aka Joey Beltram Mix)

I say 'cynical', because my list hardly includes anything that hasn't already been digitally remastered for the recent 'best of' and box set compilations (which in case you
haven't noticed tends to be how some of the bonuses in other releases are chosen).

Still, it was a prolific period to fill a second CD with!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 36
kwerty
November 28, 2018, 12:35pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Being slightly less cynical about it, I'd like to see some versions which haven't appeared in those compilation already.

The edits of 'Carry On Clangers' and 'Waiting For Sex' have never been widely released on CD since back in the day (although one was on the US 'Breath Of Life' CD
I believe)

Likewise the 'Dave Bascome' Mix of 'Am I Right' has only ever been released on CD in the EBX set, so I'd personally choose that.

Those KROQ versions could also see the light of day officially on CD, and maybe there are some other session versions knocking around.

Anyway, I'm sure it's going to be a 3 disc set. I doubt disc 3 is going to be full of all new remixes, so perhaps something more like:

DISC 1: The Chorus album
DISC 2: All the b-sides, the KROQ sessions and one or two other session versions (and maybe one or two things seen on 'Buried Treasure')
DISC 3: A compilation of remixes old and new (including one or two new mixes of album tracks)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 36
Mikedepaz
November 28, 2018, 1:44pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 12 hours 50 minutes
A remaster finished Mirror To your Soul- yes please

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 36
glazball
November 28, 2018, 2:48pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 22 hours 10 minutes
The possibilities are incredible, but I'll be cynical with you kwerty and expect to be completely let down.  That way, it won't be so disheartening when we see the track listing.  lol

But, if we are want to stay positive, this is what I would want:

CD1. Chorus album (remastered);  I prefer just the original 10 tracks but it would be ok to add some official mixes to fill up the disc
CD2. ALL of the Chorus demos and unreleased Chorus-era tracks like My Love and Earth (for sake of completion), KROQ sessions, possible unreleased demos/sessions/mixes??
CD3. a disc of ALL NEW remixes including 1 each by Vince and Andy.  Seriously, it won't be hard to find remixers for this album!  Do it right Mute!!
(CD4). ok if we MUST be sold the same ole remixes, this disc could include some of those, plus rarer mixes like those kwerty mentioned (WfS and CoC Edited, AIR? Dave Bascombe Mix, etc)
DVD. Tank, Swan & Balloon DVD, only because the previous re-releases included a concert DVD.  I'd be happy to drop it in favor of another PE Tour video or just more audio CDs of new stuff

And as dreamy as all this sounds, we can't forget Two Ring Circus and Wild!  Even if TRC gets skipped, Wild! also needs some remastering attention before we move on to Chorus.  I really wish Erasure would do like PSB and re-release every album as a clean and uniform remastered series.  Erasure certainly deserve it.  Lesser bands have been given better treatment!

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 36
kwerty
November 28, 2018, 4:03pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
DVD. Tank, Swan & Balloon DVD, only because the previous re-releases included a concert DVD.

I don't think this is going to happen, and I suspect they're rethinking the format for any upcoming album remasters.

Firstly, unlike the concerts in the previous re-releases, 'Tank..' has already been released on DVD, so it isn't so special.

Secondly, I think the very reason the 'Wild!' DVD was in the Moscow To Mars boxset was perhaps because they have already planned ahead on a
format for the album remasters - meaning both the 'Chorus' and 'Wild' deluxe sets will follow the same format as each other and feature no DVD concerts.

Of course they might just repackage both concert DVDs in both re-releases (and make Moscow To Mars even more pointless).

Also, as I understand it, 'Tank' bombed (nobody bought it - it's why they never followed it up with more re-releases), so putting it with
'Chorus' might be a way of selling it again.

But I'd gamble on there been no concert DVDs with future album remasters - although what that means for the Tiny Tour I'm not sure!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 36
glazball
November 28, 2018, 5:57pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Good points.  My hope is that the Wild! Tour DVD was included in FMTM because they are secretly planning to include a DVD of the Wild! Party, which hopefully Mute has in their video archives.  That way, they could add another disc to the FMTM box set to make it more appealing, and the fans will later have a good reason to buy the Wild! remaster.  Win win for the fans!  Right??

It's true that Tank, Swan & Balloon likely didn't sell very well, but it did come out at a weird time (on DVD in the US).  Most casual fans weren't looking for it and probably never knew it was released.  Since most casual fans would buy a Chorus Deluxe Edition, they would probably be happy to have TSB on DVD.

Tiny Tour could go on a DVD for the Erasure Deluxe Edition.  For the Cowboy Tour... well I guess Vince is going to have to get out the cactus suit and they'll do it over, making sure to press <Record> this time.  lol

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 36
kwerty
November 28, 2018, 7:26pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
My hope is that the Wild! Tour DVD was included in FMTM because they are secretly planning to include a DVD of the Wild! Party, which hopefully Mute has in their video archives.

Would be nice, but I really think this is highly unlikely as well - I doubt Mute have EVER had the video for this concert in their archives.

My understanding of the back story for this video is that somebody who worked at Milton Keynes bowl (NOT Mute) just stuck a video tape in the
video deck and recorded the live camera feeds for the venue concert screen, with no audio.

It was done with neither the permission of Mute, Erasure or the venue.

Whoever recorded it 'owns' the tape*. They took it with them, and synced the footage to the BBC's radio broadcast. It has never been in the
possession of Mute.

*Technically speaking, as the person used the Bowl's facilities and maybe even one of their tapes, the venue 'owns' it, but it's doubtful they knew
anything about it. The person recording it was of course doing so illegally.

So no, I doubt we are going to see an official release of this video on DVD.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 36
kwerty
November 28, 2018, 7:34pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
For the Cowboy Tour... well I guess Vince is going to have to get out the cactus suit and they'll do it over, making sure to press <Record> this time.  lol

It was the quality of the AUDIO of this concert which was deemed too poor for release, not the visuals. So they just need to overdub the footage - so no need
to get into the cactus suit again!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 36
glazball
November 28, 2018, 9:44pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Well poo.  Very interesting but sad info about the Wild! Party video.  Any chance BBC might have it in their vaults?  (video and audio)

To bring the topic back to Chorus, it's quite clear there is no shortage of goodies they could include in a Deluxe Edition.  Sure, some of it may have been released here and there, but certain songs like My Love (such a great, great song!) should have a bigger audience than just Buried Treasure II.  It still boggles my mind that one went unreleased at the time!  I guess they just had too much great material to work with and hopefully there are some other items in the vaults that we haven't heard (officially or bootleg).  It would be nice to see an extensive Chorus package curated with love.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 36
Pat.2000
November 29, 2018, 6:57am Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 23 hours 52 minutes
Quoted from kwerty

Whoever recorded it 'owns' the tape*. They took it with them, and synced the footage to the BBC's radio broadcast. It has never been in the
possession of Mute.

But surely in those days it wasn't so easy to sync the audio perfectly onto a video tape?

And if it was an employee of the bowl, why would they go to so much trouble?

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 36
Gareth Pugh
November 29, 2018, 10:27am Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 21 hours 38 minutes
Quoted from kwerty
Exciting!

So anyway - here's my (slightly cynical ) prediction for disc 2! The B-sides and whatnot:

01. Over The Rainbow
02. Snappy
03. Vitamin C
04. La La La
05. Carry On Clangers (Full Length)
06. Let It Flow
07. Waiting For Sex (Full Length)
08. B3
09. Perfect Stranger (Acoustic Version)
10. Chorus (Vegan Mix)
11. Love To Hate You (LFO Modulated Filter Remix)
12. Am I Right (Grid Mix)
13. Breath Of Life (Umbilical aka Joey Beltram Mix)

I say 'cynical', because my list hardly includes anything that hasn't already been digitally remastered for the recent 'best of' and box set compilations (which in case you
haven't noticed tends to be how some of the bonuses in other releases are chosen).

Still, it was a prolific period to fill a second CD with!

Well, we know from a tweet earlier this year from Vince that he’s done a new mix of Turns the Love to Anger - I assumed that would be for this. Also a certain remix & production team said in Summer 2017 they were working on new mixes for Wild! and Chorus reissues (That facebook post came down very quickly!) I also wondered about the ‘Monteverde 7” Mix’ of 2000 Miles on From Moscow is to Mars; assuming it’s the same Lee Monteverde who did mixes for I Could Fall in Love With You’ in 2007, I reckoned this must be a recent commission rather than been sitting in the vaults since 1989/90  - if so, again, was it an early commission for an expanded Wild! ?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 36
kwerty
November 29, 2018, 11:11am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pat.2000

But surely in those days it wasn't so easy to sync the audio perfectly onto a video tape?

And if it was an employee of the bowl, why would they go to so much trouble?

Because they were also a fan? Fans do that sort of thing!
And syncing might be hard, but not impossible. Although sometimes it's easy. I know - I've done it!
Also, I'm not sure the video itself was done at the time, but synced to the radio concert much later.

Anyway, I'm just presenting information I've read before (either on this forum or the old EIS forum). As I recall, someone who knew the person
who put the video together told that story - that they surreptitiously recorded the live video feed without permission.
Whoever they were obviously had access to the venue's facility to do that. And they personally put that video out there as a bootleg. But others
on this forum may recall the facts of that story better.

Regarding the audio, to be honest, I don't know with certainty that they didn't record audio at the same time - that's maybe an assumption
on my part - the concert was actually broadcast live on radio as it was happening, so it's quite possible that it was fed onto the video tape as it
was being recorded.

But really, whether the audio was synced later or captured at the time is neither here nor there - the point is that someone took it upon themselves to record it and
then release it to the world as a bootleg.

Based on that knowledge (and assuming the story is true!), it is my own deduction that it means the video is in THEIR possession and not Mute's.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 36
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Chorus (1991)  ›  A return to Chorus? 2019

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread