Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Erasure in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum    General Boards    Ask Erasure & Other Features  ›  Erasure in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Erasure in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame  This thread currently has 235 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Islanderab
October 30, 2018, 4:50pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
17 days 3 hours 25 minutes
I was just listening to Richard Blade on the Howard Stern wrap up show and he mentioned that the only representation of New Wave in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame is the lyric sheet to A Little Respect. Has anyone visited the Hall of Fame and have a picture of the lyric sheet on display?
Logged Offline
Private Message
glazball
October 30, 2018, 6:41pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 12 hours 8 minutes
Can't help with your request but you bring up an interesting topic!  I've always thought it was interesting how many "non rock" artists have been inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.  I totally understand Chuck Berry or Black Sabbath or Nirvana, but Madonna?  N.W.A.?  Even ABBA?  I suppose I'm being nitpicky, and not trying to knock down any of those artists, but they really don't qualify as "rock" imo.  Surely they have influenced many rock musicians, but perhaps the Hall of Fame should be renamed to "The Popular-Music-After-About-1950 Hall of Fame."  !

I guess my point is if it ever comes up, would Erasure even -want- to be included in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame?  Vince has made a point that Erasure are -not- a rock band.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 12
Islanderab
October 30, 2018, 7:57pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
17 days 3 hours 25 minutes
They have changed the nomination process and, in the last couple of years, they've nominated: DM, Eurythmics, The Cars, Kate Bush, Kraftwerk, Devo, Roxy Music & The Cure.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 12
DAJ
October 31, 2018, 3:26pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 15 hours 17 minutes
I think that at least one group representing the synth version of New Wave should make it in, and I think it should be Depeche Mode for a bunch of reasons--pioneers of synthpop, longevity of career, success as a live touring act, and the fact that it would get Vince in as well as the other members.  This would leave Andy out, but Erasure did not have the American/worldwide success that Depeche had.  New Order/Joy Division should be in as well.  Kraftwerk for sure.  Kate Bush absolutely, but she's in a category all her own.  I'm on the fence about the other ones mentioned above.  The Cars are in now, though I would not have put them above the others I have mentioned.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 12
glazball
October 31, 2018, 9:35pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Hmm, I didn't know DM had been nominated, but it makes sense.  Sure, maybe they aren't Metallica, but I think we can safely say there are many DM songs that qualify as "rock."  (An opinion Vince shares, when people try to compare Erasure to DM).  Regardless, DM have been wildly more influential than many of their contemporaries, New Wavers, New Romantics, post punks and synthpoppers: Erasure of course, but also Human League, OMD, Duran Duran, etc.  Pet Shop Boys might be the only other act that comes close.  New Order should also be included since Blue Monday basically changed pop/electronic/dance forever (not to mention everything else they've done) and Kraftwerk deserves the recognition too (even though their music doesn't have the same staying power imo).

Anyways, pretty cool that ALR lyric sheet is at the HoF!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 12
MikeyC
October 31, 2018, 11:22pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 19 hours 20 minutes
I think "Rock 'N Roll", when used with the Hall of Fame, is more of an 'umbrella' term that encompasses the various genres of rock, pop, dance, electronic, funk, punk, rap, RnB, etc.
Just my two cents.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 12
glazball
November 1, 2018, 3:34pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Agreed Mikey, that's what it's become.  I imagine the R&R HoF creators or owners wanted to be more inclusive over time.  After all, many musicians rarely fall into 1 specific genre (ie Prince).

To me, though, "rock 'n' roll" is Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and all that kind of music which is usually loud, testosterone-fueled and always, always, always involves guitars somehow.  Though there are a lot of those bands I love and appreciate, there are many, many more that I just don't like and I've always taken pride in the fact that "my music" doesn't rely on some dude shredding a guitar solo.  I'm more of a piano/keyboards guy than a guitar guy.  Imo bands like OMD, Human League, and DM (and their fans) tried to purposely distance themselves from that kind of music and certainly all my Metallica-Megadeth-Anthrax-headbanger friends in high school did!  They didn't get why I was listening to Wild! when they were listening to Kill 'Em All.  So now, to lump DM in the same "rock & roll" group as Van Halen just seems really weird to me.

Anyways, sorry to derail this thread!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 12
DAJ
November 1, 2018, 7:31pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 15 hours 17 minutes
This is an interesting discussion.  What constitutes "rock" music is up for debate, but I like that the Hall of Fame uses an expansive definition.  They are essentially inducting the performing groups who have had the most influence on popular music in the Rock era (1955-present, roughly).  Thus Abba absolutely belongs, as do the most influential acts of all genres (Donna Summer making it in was also a good choice).  The problem is that less influential rock groups (Bon Jovi?) make it in BECAUSE they are traditional "rock" performers, while the bar is higher for non-rock performers.  It is an imperfect system, but has led to recognition of many good artists.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 12
Pat.2000
November 2, 2018, 12:20am Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 22 hours 39 minutes
Quoted from glazball
Agreed Mikey, that's what it's become.  I imagine the R&R HoF creators or owners wanted to be more inclusive over time.  After all, many musicians rarely fall into 1 specific genre (ie Prince).

To me, though, "rock 'n' roll" is Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith and all that kind of music which is usually loud, testosterone-fueled and always, always, always involves guitars somehow.  Though there are a lot of those bands I love and appreciate, there are many, many more that I just don't like and I've always taken pride in the fact that "my music" doesn't rely on some dude shredding a guitar solo.  I'm more of a piano/keyboards guy than a guitar guy.  Imo bands like OMD, Human League, and DM (and their fans) tried to purposely distance themselves from that kind of music and certainly all my Metallica-Megadeth-Anthrax-headbanger friends in high school did!  They didn't get why I was listening to Wild! when they were listening to Kill 'Em All.  So now, to lump DM in the same "rock & roll" group as Van Halen just seems really weird to me.

Anyways, sorry to derail this thread!

Good post.

Same for me at school too. I was playing The Circus & The Singles 81-85 when most were playing rock music that meant guitar solos, masculine posturing and plenty of air guitar. I was asked why I did and that I could turn gay because of it.

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 12
Mikedepaz
November 3, 2018, 1:39am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 8 hours 27 minutes
Not having Kraftwerk in already is just a joke. They added more to music than anyone else in modern time. Granted, they are nominated this year but no guarantee

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 12
AIRAZUR
November 3, 2018, 9:02am Report to Moderator

ERASURE Humanum Est - l'Humour Tujurs
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
35 days 21 hours 18 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Not having Kraftwerk in already is just a joke. They added more to music than anyone else in modern time. Granted, they are nominated this year but no guarantee

..and what about Jean-Michel JARRE, VANGELIS, and Mike OLDFIELD ??...
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 12
Mikedepaz
November 3, 2018, 12:14pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 8 hours 27 minutes
Quoted from AIRAZUR

..and what about Jean-Michel JARRE, VANGELIS, and Mike OLDFIELD ??...

While those artist are great too. No one can come close to the significant legacy that Kraftwerk has left in music overall

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 12
Pat.2000
November 3, 2018, 9:54pm Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 22 hours 39 minutes
Musicians Union members from the 80s must be rolling in their shallow graves

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Ask Erasure & Other Features  ›  Erasure in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread