Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
True Love Wars / Intro: Guess I'm Into Feeling
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Erasure (1995)  ›  True Love Wars / Intro: Guess I'm Into Feeling
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

True Love Wars / Intro: Guess I'm Into Feeling  This thread currently has 513 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
AaronLancs
June 29, 2018, 6:01pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 15 hours 51 minutes
Got Stay With Me to complete my Erasure (1995) set and was wondering which song came first the B Side or the first track off the album? Just wondering if anyone had any info.

Aaron
Logged Offline
Private Message
kwerty
June 29, 2018, 8:20pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 2 hours 45 minutes
Well, 'Stay With Me' was released before the album, so in that sense 'True Love Wars' came first.

But I'm sure you know that already and you're asking which was composed first.

Probably only Erasure can answer that (although if you ask Vince he's probably forgot), but I suspect some version of 'Guess I'm Into Feeling' came
first, although both are probably two developments of the same idea. I do however think 'True Love Wars' does have style to it that suggest to me
that lyrics were written later.

But that's all guess-work on my part.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 16
Mikedepaz
June 29, 2018, 11:09pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 8 hours 27 minutes
I think the Erasure album had some shuffling happening prior to the album. I don't know how much influence Daniel Miller had on what finally got dropped but he was instrumental on picking Stay With Me as the first single

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 16
AaronLancs
June 30, 2018, 10:40am Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Thanks.

Aaron
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 16
kwerty
June 30, 2018, 10:43am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
An Australian band did a cover version of 'True Love Wars' if you're interested in that sort of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6EaJNqVSE
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 16
AaronLancs
June 30, 2018, 6:04pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Cheers, I'll check it out.

Aaron
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 16
glazball
July 2, 2018, 6:48pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 12 hours 8 minutes
Like Mike said above, I think there was some obvious shuffling before the Erasure album release.  After all, it was (and I suppose it still is) a big departure from other albums as far as production and song structure goes.

I disagree with kwerty though about the timeline, though I am just totally guessing as well.  I feel like True Love Wars was written first and when putting the album together, the band and/or producers decided to use the melody for the intro to the album.

The reason I think this is because we know that Erasure had released Cold Summer's Day for the Wigstock soundtrack, and someone (Daniel Miller probably) decided it needed to be reworked and touched up a bit so that the Erasure album would have at least one single-friendly song.  Cold Summer's Day was just too good of a song to be forgotten on a movie soundtrack that no one bought, so it was given a facelift and we got Fingers & Thumbs.

Something similar may have happened with TLW becoming Intro - Guess I'm Into Feeling, which always felt like a last-minute appendage, to me.  (Not a bad one though!)  At the time, I just assumed it was a nod to all the fans who had bought the Stay With Me single.  They were obviously looking to make the Erasure album a long play, in the truest sense of the word, and fill a whole CD with music.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 16
Mikedepaz
July 2, 2018, 10:09pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I would of preferred TLW over SWM on the final album. I look at SWM more as a b side. Poor choice by Daniel Miller in my opinion. I still dont like it to this day.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 16
AIRAZUR
July 2, 2018, 10:22pm Report to Moderator

ERASURE Humanum Est - l'Humour Tujurs
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
35 days 21 hours 18 minutes
I think Intro:guess I'm into Feeling" should have been united in one whole song  (Intro:True Love Wars), starting with the first 2 minutes' long magical and futuristic intro and then melting into the song True Love Wars !
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 16
MikeyC
July 2, 2018, 11:46pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 19 hours 20 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
I would of preferred TLW over SWM on the final album. I look at SWM more as a b side. Poor choice by Daniel Miller in my opinion. I still dont like it to this day.

I'll never forget buying Stay With Me at Record Runner without having known much about it beforehand (still pretty much pre-internet era yet somehow I knew moreabout earlier releases; maybe thanks to Private Ear). I rushed home, played the single and was a bit depressed and actually had a tear in my eye from how sad it sounded.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 16
Mikedepaz
July 3, 2018, 12:59pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I remember too that day and knew that this was a radical departure from the previous singles and the album was going to be in this nature.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 16
Tin Soldier
July 3, 2018, 5:26pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 20 hours 35 minutes
I remember getting a few of the radio promo CDs in the mail, and giving one to my neighbor. He thought it was weird compared to the stuff I was playing through the walls usually.  

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 11 - 16
ben
July 3, 2018, 7:27pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
20 days 23 hours 22 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz

I respect your view, but Stay With Me to me is pure Erasure magic, I also loved the video. The Guardian newspaper said something about this song along the lines of: too beautiful for this world.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 16
DAJ
July 3, 2018, 10:30pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 15 hours 17 minutes
Since the "Erasure" album tended to longer, more elaborate songs, even if "True Love Wars" existed first, it would not have been a good fit for the album.  It is superb as a b-side, though.  And the "Intro" to "Erasure" is probably my favorite album opener by the band--it really gets you in the mood for what follows.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 16
kwerty
July 3, 2018, 11:07pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I don't think it would better instead of the Intro - the intro is important to the concept of the album I think. It says something about what to expect.

The way I see it, the Erasure album is about our preconceived ideas of Erasure and the 3.30 minute pop song.

'Guess I'm Into Feeling' lasts almost exactly 3.30 minutes, and it's only the album intro!

But it's also important that half of it is instrumental and the last half vocal, as a kind of summary, or a clue, of how the album will progress.

It then goes on to subvert all our expectations of an Erasure album.

So yeah, needs to be there at the start I think.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Erasure (1995)  ›  True Love Wars / Intro: Guess I'm Into Feeling

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread