Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Where did those 30 years go??
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    The Innocents (1988)  ›  Where did those 30 years go??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Where did those 30 years go??  This thread currently has 261 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Dunc
April 18, 2018, 11:22am Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
14 days 7 hours 33 minutes
It was 30 years ago today, April 18th 1988, that my genuine and lifelong love of Erasure truly began.
I had only become aware of the group from hearing Sometimes on the radio and loved it so then bought all the singles, 12"'s and those initial albums and immersed myself in all things Andy and Vince. At 15 years old I had discovered "my band". A group of friends and myself were ecstatic to hear that tickets to see the band live were on sale so booked to see our first Erasure concert with our local travel company (no mates with cars at 15!) and it just happened to be at DeMontford Hall in Leicester on April 18th........
The build up to The Innocents was great as I managed to get hold of the promo 12" of Ship Of Fools from a friend who knew the dj at the local nightclub! Result! I just adored it and played it until it almost wore out! Snippets of information about the new album on the radio followed just to drive me to almost self combustion until finally it was release day!! I was so lucky that we were on study leave at Grammar School so I was waiting outside Woolworths at 9am and was straight in to pick up the vinyl and the cassette. (Didn't even own a cd player at that point!!!!!)
Got home as quick as humanly possible and with such excitement carefully unwrapped the album to find the beautiful art print of the cover (which would grace my bedroom wall in a frame for a long time afterwards!) and then the first listen.
I still clearly remember being absolutely blown away by it. I sat in a sort of stunned daze just thinking how brilliant it was. A Little Respect, Chains Of Love, Phantom Bride, Yahoo and Weight Of The World just span my world around! Basically my day consisted of re-listen, re-listen, re-listen until it was time to get my glad rags on, splash on the Insignia aftershave and body spray, gel the hair (now sadly gone!) and go to the park to sit with my mates in the Spring sunshine, excitement bursting out of me, before heading to the bus station to get the coach armed with my  Innocents cassette. Upon getting there I had a chat with the bus driver and he happily agreed to play The Innocents in the bus on the way to Leicester.  Still remember that magical feeling of enjoying the new tunes with other people for the first time!
The gig itself just absolutely solidified the conviction that Erasure were going to be a HUGE part of my life and how right was that thought!!?? It was absolutely sensational and looking back on that day gives me so many fantastic memories that I'll always cherish.
It was DEFINITELY the day that Erasure grabbed hold of me and thankfully they've never once let me go since.
A heartfelt thank you to the wonderful Andy and Vince for everything they do for all us fans.
Utter legends..      
Logged Offline
Private Message
glazball
April 18, 2018, 2:22pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 1 hours 58 minutes
That was a great read Dunc!  Thanks for posting

I didn't discover Erasure until a bit later than you - after Wild! had been released but before Chorus.  I can definitely relate to the excitement of hearing new material after discovering "my band".  In my case it was the new Chorus single that a radio station in Houston (which I could just barely pick up in my hometown) played early.  I recorded it on a cassette and must have listened to it a million times lol.

Of course, The Innocents is and always will be one of their absolute best, and it's an album that really stands out in their library.  I also remember the first time I heard Ship of Fools, and it really swept me away (especially the line "the flowers and the trees are encapsulating me").  The whole album has an air of fantasy that none of their other albums have (though maybe I Say comes close).  It's also unique in that many of the songs are NOT about love and relationships necessarily, and I like that.  Instead of Andy's usual first-person p.o.v., you have songs about other people: the baby of the class, the good boy from the other side of town, the witch digging in her heels, the little wise man (with the sweetest notion!).  In many ways, I wish Andy would move back in that direction with his lyrics because they are simply more interesting to listen to.

On that note, I think I'll give it a listen tonight.  It's been too long!  Happy 30th birthday Innocents!

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 7
ben
April 18, 2018, 8:40pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
19 days 17 hours 7 minutes
I first became aware of Erasure sometime before December 1986. A new radio station was about to start broadcasting, and weeks before they started they had a tape running in a loop and one of the songs on the loop was Oh l'amour. I loved everything about the song and it took me weeks to find out who the band was. I bought Wonderland and shortly after The Circus was released and I was hooked. And then in 1988 I saw them live for the first time, and ever since I have been a fan. They had such an impact on my life over the years. I met my partner, because I travelled to London from Germany to see Erasure at the Wembley Arena on the Cowboy Tour on the 18th of April 1997. So it is our anniversary today! I moved the same year to the UK in time to see them play the first EIS gig in Manchester. It is shocking how time flies!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 7
MikeyC
April 18, 2018, 11:26pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 23 hours 27 minutes
Quoted from Dunc
It was 30 years ago today, April 18th 1988, that my genuine and lifelong love of Erasure truly began.
I had only become aware of the group from hearing Sometimes on the radio and loved it so then bought all the singles, 12"'s and those initial albums and immersed myself in all things Andy and Vince. At 15 years old I had discovered "my band". A group of friends and myself were ecstatic to hear that tickets to see the band live were on sale so booked to see our first Erasure concert with our local travel company (no mates with cars at 15!) and it just happened to be at DeMontford Hall in Leicester on April 18th........
The build up to The Innocents was great as I managed to get hold of the promo 12" of Ship Of Fools from a friend who knew the dj at the local nightclub! Result! I just adored it and played it until it almost wore out! Snippets of information about the new album on the radio followed just to drive me to almost self combustion until finally it was release day!! I was so lucky that we were on study leave at Grammar School so I was waiting outside Woolworths at 9am and was straight in to pick up the vinyl and the cassette. (Didn't even own a cd player at that point!!!!!)
Got home as quick as humanly possible and with such excitement carefully unwrapped the album to find the beautiful art print of the cover (which would grace my bedroom wall in a frame for a long time afterwards!) and then the first listen.
I still clearly remember being absolutely blown away by it. I sat in a sort of stunned daze just thinking how brilliant it was. A Little Respect, Chains Of Love, Phantom Bride, Yahoo and Weight Of The World just span my world around! Basically my day consisted of re-listen, re-listen, re-listen until it was time to get my glad rags on, splash on the Insignia aftershave and body spray, gel the hair (now sadly gone!) and go to the park to sit with my mates in the Spring sunshine, excitement bursting out of me, before heading to the bus station to get the coach armed with my  Innocents cassette. Upon getting there I had a chat with the bus driver and he happily agreed to play The Innocents in the bus on the way to Leicester.  Still remember that magical feeling of enjoying the new tunes with other people for the first time!
The gig itself just absolutely solidified the conviction that Erasure were going to be a HUGE part of my life and how right was that thought!!?? It was absolutely sensational and looking back on that day gives me so many fantastic memories that I'll always cherish.
It was DEFINITELY the day that Erasure grabbed hold of me and thankfully they've never once let me go since.
A heartfelt thank you to the wonderful Andy and Vince for everything they do for all us fans.
Utter legends..      

Really loved reading that! Thanks so much for sharing!!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 7
Mikedepaz
April 19, 2018, 2:45am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
26 days 2 hours 2 minutes
I will say I was not blown away away from the first listen of SOF, it still to this day not one of my favorite first singles but I was totally blown away by the two b sides. I remember playing the two b sides non stop. The we're just perfect at the time.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 7
glazball
April 19, 2018, 3:18pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 1 hours 58 minutes
I agree Mike, SoF was an odd choice for a single at all, much less the first single.  It was back to back somber singles, since it followed The Circus single.

The b-sides are great!  WINY is still one of my favorite Erasure tracks, ever.  Actually all The Innocents b-sides are just about perfect.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 7
Mikedepaz
April 19, 2018, 9:32pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
26 days 2 hours 2 minutes
When the next single came out- COL and that set of b sides of Don't Suppose and TGTBTU. I was  a 100% Erasure nut case- completely certified  

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 7
MikeyC
April 19, 2018, 11:26pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 23 hours 27 minutes
Quoted from glazball
I agree Mike, SoF was an odd choice for a single at all, much less the first single.  It was back to back somber singles, since it followed The Circus single.

The b-sides are great!  WINY is still one of my favorite Erasure tracks, ever.  Actually all The Innocents b-sides are just about perfect.

This subject is discussed at length in the fabulous "Permanent Record" podcast which was promoted in last Friday's E newsletter. Highly recommended to all!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 7
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    The Innocents (1988)  ›  Where did those 30 years go??

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread