Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
The Two Ring Circus RSD 2018 Reissue
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    The Two Ring Circus (1987) & (2018 yellow vinyl)  ›  The Two Ring Circus RSD 2018 Reissue
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

The Two Ring Circus RSD 2018 Reissue  This thread currently has 9,578 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » All Recommend Thread
Tin Soldier
March 6, 2018, 6:26pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 20 hours 35 minutes

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Pughie
March 6, 2018, 6:43pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
159 days 2 hours 8 minutes
Oh my God the hunt begins,now this is the new must have release ........ I bet I can't strike gold twice and get this months in advance like the Violet Flame 12"

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 135
Pughie
March 6, 2018, 8:31pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
As part of Record Store Day 2018 Erasure will be releasing a brand new vinyl edition of ‘The Two Ring Circus’ their 1987 double-album featuring remixes and orchestral arrangements of the tracks featured on their album ‘The Circus’. Remastered, and pressed on limited-edition yellow vinyl, the new edition is the latest release to join Erasure’s vinyl reissues series.

TRACKLISTING
A1 – Sometimes (Erasure & Flood Mix)
A2 – It Doesn’t Have To Be (Mix By Pascal Gabriel)
B1 – Victim Of Love (Little Louie Vega Mix)
B2 – Leave Me To Bleed (Vince Clarke/Eric Radcliffe Mix)
C1 – Hideaway (Little Louie Vega Mix)
C2 – Don’t Dance (Daniel Miller & Flood Mix)
D1 – If I Could (Andrew Poppy Orchestral Arrangement)
D2 – Spiralling (Andrew Poppy Orchestral Arrangement)
D3 – My Heart… So Blue (Andrew Poppy Orchestral Arrangement)

Record Store Day 2018 will take place on April 21st and you can get more details of all the special releases, plus retail outlets, from the RECORD STORE DAY website.

Fans of Vince Clarke might also be interested to know that there will also be a Yazoo vinyl 12″ single available as part of Record Store Day, featuring four François Kevorkian remixes of ‘Situation’…

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 135
Pughie
March 6, 2018, 8:53pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
From RSD website-

Erasure - The Two-Ring Circus
Format:
LP Coloured Vinyl
Label:
Mute
More Info:
Limited edition double yellow vinyl. Originally released in 1987, the album features six remixes and three orchestral re-recordings including the hit singles 'Sometimes', 'It Doesn't Have To Be' and 'Victim Of Love' and remixes by Little Louie Vega, Flood, Pascal Gabriel and Vince Clarke & Eric Radcliffe.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 135
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 6:19am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
An oddity I see in the US list. Just sounds wrong; doesn't it?  

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 135
Mikedepaz
March 7, 2018, 6:37am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 8 hours 27 minutes
I heard the song and it's bloody awful and nothing to do with Erasure, the band.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 135
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 7:01am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Assumed as much. Still, it looks wrong as well.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 135
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 7:20am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Thought I'd add (and speculate) here, this would have been nice to see expanded upon with, perhaps, a 7" version of Louie's Hideaway mix.

Frankly, I still find it hard to believe, as years ago, that Louie didn't submit one, or a dub, along with the full mix. Maybe Mute don't think as highly of it/them (like Sire of Justin Strauss' Stop! mixes), but I'd love to hear them if they exist. To this day it remains one of THE best remixes of an Erasure track (imo).  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 135
devoleb
March 7, 2018, 11:37am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
25 days 1 hours 36 minutes
Wont come close to any record shops.....damn, same every time

My 'Here I Go Impossible' remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56CSYAG8aw
My 'God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen' mashup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ozoXml76JU
My 'I Lose Myself' remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXVtrcNpw94
My 'When A Lover Leaves You' remix: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZkYC6_en-E
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 135
Mikedepaz
March 7, 2018, 1:15pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 8 hours 27 minutes
Seems like a lot of good stuff coming out of the UK this year

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 135
kwerty
March 7, 2018, 4:14pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 2 hours 45 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Thought I'd add (and speculate) here, this would have been nice to see expanded upon with, perhaps, a 7" version of Louie's Hideaway mix.

If such a thing exists (and personally I doubt it does), I'd rather it saw the light of day on a future 'deluxe' edition of the CD.

The press release for the RSD reissue says it's been remastered, which leads me to speculate that such a thing might be on the horizon.

As an aside, it's also possible that the only thing that might be limited about this reissue is that the vinyl is yellow. I wouldn't be surprised if a
standard black vinyl edition was to follow.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 135
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 4:36pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from kwerty
If such a thing exists (and personally I doubt it does)...

I'd love to know what gives you pause, considering this is "in your wheelhouse" as it were. Mine is more the layman's assumption.

Quoted from kwerty
...I'd rather it saw the light of day on a future 'deluxe' edition of the CD.

The press release for the RSD reissue says it's been remastered, which leads me to speculate that such a thing might be on the horizon.

As an aside, it's also possible that the only thing that might be limited about this reissue is that the vinyl is yellow. I wouldn't be surprised if a
standard black vinyl edition was to follow.

If I could discern the catalogue number better (LMSTUMM35?), it might shed more light on this going by their previous cataloguing format, but you're right. Neither would surprise me, but I would assume either would only follow based on how well this does.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 11 - 135
kwerty
March 7, 2018, 5:36pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 2 hours 45 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
I'd love to know what gives you pause, considering this is "in your wheelhouse" as it were. Mine is more the layman's assumption.

I have no greater insight than you really, just I've got no reason to suspect it exists and there seems to be very little evidence to suggest it does,
other than wishful thinking. I mean why specifically that track? If there's an edit and a dub for Hideaway, then why not nearly every other track on
TTRC? Or what about all the 12" versions from that time? Is there a dub mix and edit of the IDHTBLT Boop Oopa Doo mix? Of the VOL Vixen
Vitesse Mix? Okay there was a dub mix of Phil Harding's VOL, but that was also released.

I'm not sure when it became common practice to commission more than one mix from one producer, but the first time I ever became aware of the
concept of multiple variants of the same mix for an Erasure track (VOL aside) was with the Shep Pettibone COL mixes - and those were for the US
record label. It makes me think it was not yet something the UK label did (there's no promo with variants of the Unfettered or Marks Bros Mix for instance).

As for remix edits - again those are very much a US phenomenon, and I can't think of any times when a track was edited for the UK market. Even then,
for the most part I think most of those have usually been 'cropped' in-house (or at least by someone other than the commissioned remixer
anyway). Plus, wasn't the point of edits to make them more radio-friendly? Hideaway wasn't a single so didn't need an edit.

In short - I think the commissioning of dubs/alternate versions was maybe started in the US before being adopted widely in the UK.

But maybe you're right, and one day we'll get a nice anthology of all the never before released dubs and instrumentals and edits that were commissioned.

But I see no reason for there to be edits and dubs and variants for the Little Louie Vega Hideaway any more than any other remixed track from the day.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 135
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 8:04pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from kwerty
I have no greater insight than you really, just I've got no reason to suspect it exists and there seems to be very little evidence to suggest it does,
other than wishful thinking. I mean why specifically that track? If there's an edit and a dub for Hideaway, then why not nearly every other track on
TTRC? Or what about all the 12" versions from that time? Is there a dub mix and edit of the IDHTBLT Boop Oopa Doo mix? Of the VOL Vixen
Vitesse Mix? Okay there was a dub mix of Phil Harding's VOL, but that was also released.

I'm not sure when it became common practice to commission more than one mix from one producer, but the first time I ever became aware of the
concept of multiple variants of the same mix for an Erasure track (VOL aside) was with the Shep Pettibone COL mixes - and those were for the US
record label. It makes me think it was not yet something the UK label did (there's no promo with variants of the Unfettered or Marks Bros Mix for instance).

As for remix edits - again those are very much a US phenomenon, and I can't think of any times when a track was edited for the UK market. Even then,
for the most part I think most of those have usually been 'cropped' in-house (or at least by someone other than the commissioned remixer
anyway). Plus, wasn't the point of edits to make them more radio-friendly? Hideaway wasn't a single so didn't need an edit.

In short - I think the commissioning of dubs/alternate versions was maybe started in the US before being adopted widely in the UK.

But maybe you're right, and one day we'll get a nice anthology of all the never before released dubs and instrumentals and edits that were commissioned.

But I see no reason for there to be edits and dubs and variants for the Little Louie Vega Hideaway any more than any other remixed track from the day.

Well, in case it's not obvious, I do happen to favor that remix over the others on TTRC. You consider that a bias, if you like.

Truth be told though, I am not the first to single that track out as worthy of a single even without the excellent Vega mix. Even Sire had thought highly enough of Vega's mix to feature it on some promo compilation(s) at the time at the cost of other tracks.

I agree, regarding the US vs. UK in what they might initially commission, and what the (primarily British) remixers up until them might have produced. However, I had thought it a common practice (at least among US remixers) that a commissioned remix artist submitted their work product; even if it included material beyond a finalized remix. Really, I always thought that the remix artist always produced such variants either way, and I suppose it could very well be true that Louie did produce such other versions and never submitted them, and, heaven forbid, didn't even keep them.

Additionally, if we look at the sad case of the aforementioned Justin Strauss Stop! mixes that never made it to a promo, we see how something can be commissioned and not even used, so, who's to say Louie wasn't asked to provide a selection from the get-go. Given that climate, he might have; even if not specifically asked (which may be with Mute being an indie UK label versus Warner-backed Sire with money to burn in comparison). Again, supposition, but on fairly solid ground

As for the remix/edit, I agree that many are by subsequent remixers or engineers, but in the climate of people like Pettibone and so many others having actually done their own, I can easily imagine Vega having done it himself. If he hadn't, I agree that it's doubtful Mute would have had anyone snip it down (like I and Uncle Peter have in the past).

In the end, I take your point that Mute wouldn't have been inclined to ask, nor do, any post-production on what Vega submitted. I just think he may have submitted more than we know, or has more than he submitted. Sadly, if the latter, we may never hear it since that likely wouldn't come cheap now.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 13 - 135
DaveKCMO
March 8, 2018, 8:34pm Report to Moderator

Power. Generation.
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
92 days 8 hours 27 minutes
I assume this reissue is 45rpm like the original?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 135
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    The Two Ring Circus (1987) & (2018 yellow vinyl)  ›  The Two Ring Circus RSD 2018 Reissue

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread