Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Yazoo RSD 2018 Release
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum    Vince Clarke    Upstairs At Eric's (1982)  ›  Yazoo RSD 2018 Release
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Yazoo RSD 2018 Release  This thread currently has 2,306 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Tin Soldier
March 6, 2018, 6:10pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 18 hours 53 minutes

Quoted Text
Fans of @AlisonMoyet & @VeryRecords - we are releasing a Limited edition, heavyweight 180gm, 12”, 4-track vinyl of #Yazoo's Situation for @RSDUK 2018. There's even an unreleased mix! Visit https://recordstoreday.co.uk/home/  for details.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Tin Soldier
March 6, 2018, 6:13pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 36
Tin Soldier
March 6, 2018, 6:21pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 36
celebrator
March 6, 2018, 6:39pm Report to Moderator

Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 3 hours 21 minutes
This one I would really like
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 36
Mikedepaz
March 7, 2018, 6:16am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 7 hours 11 minutes
Is Mute involved in this, looks like cheap homemade sleeve art

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 36
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 6:21am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Has a YAZ catalogue #, so yeah, seems to be Mute.

Here it is with a hype sticker:

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 36
Mikedepaz
March 7, 2018, 6:34am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I see the 12YAZ9 catalogue. You would think more effort would have gone into the cover

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 36
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 7:04am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Yes and no.

In a sense, big fonts in highly contrasting colors can be far more eye-catching than cover art. It may look basic or sterile to you, but from a marketing standpoint, this might work better in 12"x12" on a wall or at the front of a bin at Rough Trade, etc.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 36
kwerty
March 7, 2018, 9:27am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 20 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
In a sense, big fonts in highly contrasting colors can be far more eye-catching than cover art.

It's also black and yellow, which is the boldest and most striking colour combination to our eyes - it's the one which stands out the most.

Yellow is the most visible colour. It is the first colour we see and it's strength is enhanced when coupled with black.

It's why some of the most harshest of warning signs use that combination.

Also, think bees and wasps and other critters we try to avoid! (although some harmless ones use it to 'fool' us.)

The downside?

Maybe people will stay away from that section in the record store out of fear of slipping on the floor or getting radiation poisoning or something.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 36
Tin Soldier
March 7, 2018, 10:18am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I'd just recommend handling it with rubber gloves. Will stay mint longer that way.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 9 - 36
Tin Soldier
March 10, 2018, 1:11pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
As it's sinking in more...is anyone else stunned and saddened this isn't a release appearing on both sides of the Atlantic?

It's kind of tragic this licensing stranglehold keeps us from seeing the, sometimes exploitative, Rhino-type 80s reissues that we see from Warner's label artists in the US (like Sire).

Of course, I'm just assuming it's BMG here. Not terribly sure. Still, just look at these Madonna releases - issued in the USA by Rhino (Warner) and in the UK by Sire (Well, the imprint; still Warner). It's similar with Prince again this year, and, of course, we can all remember A-Ha before with a glut of picture discs. Clearly, there's international label coordination by labels held by one international parent company for many, and going back some years.

Not here. No, for this 12", Alf's people say they don't have the right s to do a US release. I take it they are getting that from Mute (still not sure), but then again, even without a cross-Atlantic licensing arrangement, Mute USA did facilitate the Mute UK (EU) stateside release of the TVF 12" RSD release as a "domestic" US RSD release, so one might pause for a second as why not here.

But of course, that was "new" and not "back catalogue" Mute material, which would be under BMG, so again, a seeming roadblock.

Still, even this isn't much excuse, as this years Cure RSD releases are coordinated across competitive label groups: Polydor/Universal Music Classics (Essentially Uni's "Rhino" equivalent) in the UK, and Elektra (Warner) in the USA. Now, how do they pull that off, and Mute, via BMG or otherwise, can't swing this?

Is there no profit in Mute getting BMG to strike a deal with Warner to release both this and the TTRC via Rhino in the USA, or at least allow the EU release to be distributed via them or Mute? One can argue the TTRC release deserves equal advocacy, but really folks, this is SITUATION. One of the most innovative and groundbreaking dance tracks in history, forget about being equally so in synthpop or "80s". Many have argued this made Vince's career more than DM did, and it put Alison on the map. It's far more stunning that this isn't coming to the USA than TTRC given the impact in the USA.

The more I think about it, the fact that neither Yaz/Yazoo or Erasure aren't getting back catalogue RSD exploitation in the US as well is obscene.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 36
Mikedepaz
March 11, 2018, 2:03am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Still SiRE could have done it as YAZ. Last year SIRE did an amazing 50 years of Sire that included YAZ, Erasure and Depeche Mode

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 36
Tin Soldier
March 11, 2018, 6:59am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Still SiRE could have done it as YAZ. Last year SIRE did an amazing 50 years of Sire that included YAZ, Erasure and Depeche Mode

True. You mentioned that before. I'd love to see how it's credited, though. Is there mention of Warner Special Markets, or BMG at all?

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 12 - 36
Gareth Pugh
March 11, 2018, 8:50am Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 19 hours 49 minutes
This one's UK RRP is abut £23 apparently (according to http://www.banquetrecords.com, who are quite useful at getting a rough early idea of what to budget and, sometimes, a steer on how many copies of certain RSD 2018 releases are being made).
The Two-Ring Circus yellow vinyl *looks like* it might be one of the rarest of all the releases on my wish-list for this year (at 500 copies for the UK apparently not all the 1,000 - other 500 going elsewhere but I don't know where) and at £32 is the most expensive

[The Soft Cell 12" is around £13 which is less than I would have guessed for these days' RSD prices).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 36
Mikedepaz
March 11, 2018, 2:33pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Hopefully the other 500 come to the USA

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 36
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    Vince Clarke    Upstairs At Eric's (1982)  ›  Yazoo RSD 2018 Release

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread