Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Single versions?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    From Moscow To Mars An Erasure Anthology (2016)  ›  Single versions?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Single versions?  This thread currently has 903 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
DirkM
December 31, 2017, 10:17pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
37 minutes
I'm thinking about picking up this set, as all I have are the original albums.  Are all of the singles here present in their original mixes, or are they the album versions?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Pughie
January 1, 2018, 12:29am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
154 days 23 hours 56 minutes
Quoted from DirkM
I'm thinking about picking up this set, as all I have are the original albums.  Are all of the singles here present in their original mixes, or are they the album versions?

It’s a mixture of single edits some album versions check through the other album threads for more comments

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 19
AIRAZUR
January 6, 2018, 7:53am Report to Moderator

ERASURE Humanum Est - l'Humour Tujurs
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
33 days 8 hours 14 minutes
Quoted from DirkM

You should buy the singles compilation "Total Pop! The First 40 Hits", thus you would have most of the single mixes !  

The single mixes are different from the album versions for "Oh l'Amour", "Sometimes", "It Doesn't Have to Be", "Victim of Love", "The Circus", "Chains of Love", "Star", "Breath of Life", "Who Needs Love Like That" (Hamburg mix).

For a few songs, the mixes are the same, but equalizations (balance between trebles/medium & bass) differs from the album versions : "Ship of Fools", "A Little Respect", "You Surround Me", "Chorus" and "Love to Hate You"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 19
kwerty
January 6, 2018, 5:27pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 20 hours 15 minutes
Quoted from AIRAZUR
equalizations (balance between trebles/medium & bass) differs from the album versions : "Ship of Fools", "A Little Respect", "Chorus" and "Love to Hate You"

I can't say I've noticed those differences on those songs. If they are there at all I doubt they were intentional and are perhaps just differences you've heard because of the format they are on or as a result of mastering.

'You Surround Me' on the overhand is very definitely a different mix as I recall, and features minor musical and vocal additions not present in the album version.

NOTE: This is NOT a guide to which versions are on 'Moscow To Mars', just an attempt to list different singles versions. So don't buy it based purely on this!)

I can't remember which versions of 'Run To The Sun' and 'I Love Saturday' made it onto any of the singles compilations, but there was definitely edited versions on the original singles.

'Stay With Me', 'Fingers & Thumbs' and 'Rock Me Gently' are of course different from their album versions to varying degrees (aside from being shorter!).

'In My Arms' is slightly different from the UK album mix in so much as the single fades out where the album version reaches an end point (and the US version is different again).

'Rain' and 'Moon & The Sky' are very obviously remixes, and 'Freedom' and 'Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)' were edits.

'Breathe'*, 'Don't Say You Love Me' and 'Here I Go Impossible' are all slightly different mixes from their album counterparts, and 'All This Time Still Falling Out Of Love' is a different recording entirely I believe.

'I Could Fall In Love With You' is a very different mix to what appears on the album, 'Sunday Girl' is kind of an edit* and 'Storm In A Teacup' is remixed a little.

There was also a single edit of 'Sucker For Love' which, apart from on the 7" picture disc from which it originates, can ONLY be found on the 'From Moscow To Mars' box-set.

I think the single version of 'When I Start To Break It All Down' is an edit (or there was one anyway)*, and both 'Be With You' and 'Fill Us With Fire' were remixed for their single versions.

...and now I'm a little bit hazy on the differences between single and album versions since those

*In some of these instances there were versions which could be regarded as 'radio' and/or 'video' mixes, but what made it onto the actual CD single may have been the album versions, and it's these that then may have been picked out to use on compilations. With 'I Love Saturday', the 'edit' appeared on one of the CD singles and the full-length album version appeared on one of the other CDs. I'm not sure what made it onto compilations.

Incidentally, the original single mix of 'The Circus' has never been released on CD or a singles compilation - the version that appeared on 'Pop - 20 Hits' and any subsequent compilation has always been the 'video' mix (I suspect Mute has 'forgot' about - or lost! - the version that was on the original 7")

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 19
MikeyC
January 7, 2018, 10:21pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 21 hours 37 minutes
I LOVE the single version of "Don't Say You Love Me"!! (and I often skip the album version, but don't tell anyone!!)  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 19
gabila100
January 8, 2018, 12:32am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 22 hours 49 minutes
I think the biggest change in turning a song from the album version to single version is Rock Me Gently.  I love the single edit.
Not a big fan of the American single mix of In My Arms. They totally butchered Vince's beautiful middle eight part.  Same goes with the second single version of Don't Say Your Love Is Killing Me, the one that has slightly different lyrics.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 19
kwerty
January 8, 2018, 1:25am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 20 hours 15 minutes
Quoted from gabila100
I think the biggest change in turning a song from the album version to single version is Rock Me Gently.

So not 'Moon & The Sky'?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 19
synthpopfan
January 8, 2018, 2:34am Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 9 hours 17 minutes
Quoted from gabila100
Not a big fan of the American single mix of In My Arms. They totally butchered Vince's beautiful middle eight part.

Nah... The US version is far superior. That middle section - melodically
speaking - was dogshit. The sparse section gives the song much needed
room to breathe and reflect sonically.

It is the only version I listen to.

One Dad's music collection from the Twin Cities:

http://www.instagram.com/TonalEvidence
IG @TonalEvidence
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 19
gabila100
January 8, 2018, 3:11am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from kwerty

So not 'Moon & The Sky'?

That one is also a big one, but thinking that cutting down from 10 minutes to 4 minutes song and totally re-orchestrating Rock Me Gently really impressed me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 19
gabila100
January 8, 2018, 3:12am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from synthpopfan

Nah... The US version is far superior. That middle section - melodically
speaking - was dogshit. The sparse section gives the song much needed
room to breathe and reflect sonically.

It is the only version I listen to.

Waiting for a combined version of the UK and US edits will do justice to the beautiful In My Arms song.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 19
ben
January 8, 2018, 9:31pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
19 days 15 hours 24 minutes
Quoted from kwerty

So not 'Moon & The Sky'?

The single version of that one was dreadful. I love the album version so much, and was devastated when I heard that horrible single remake. I almost forgot about that stinker until you opened up old wounds and put salt into them  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 19
little_shane
February 17, 2018, 6:05pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 1 hours 41 minutes
chorus promo 12inch 125  
can any tell me if there are fade outs of the promo of this  

I think some one posted a long time ago  that one of the tracks fade out....

don't know if any one knows
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 19
DaveKCMO
February 20, 2018, 3:40am Report to Moderator

Power. Generation.
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
92 days 6 hours 24 minutes
Also missing from Mars: The "Single Mix" of Sexuality, which can only be found on the original single itself and the EBX set.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 19
glazball
February 20, 2018, 4:26pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 21 hours 8 minutes
I would say that is just the regular b-side version of Sexuality, not a "Single Mix" since it was never a single.  The Sometimes single was released before The Circus album, and the album version of Sexuality is different.

We saw the same thing happen with Push Me, Shove Me.  The original is on the WNLLT single but the version that appeared on Wonderland is an edit of the Tacos Mix.  (imo the original PMSM is one of Erasure's best b-sides even to this day!)

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 19
little_shane
February 20, 2018, 5:24pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 1 hours 41 minutes
so is the push me shove single is on any of the cds  is the singles box set with push me shove is the same as the single   if that all makes sence
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 19
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread