Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
World Be Gone (2CD Greek Edition)
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    World Be Gone (2017)  ›  World Be Gone (2CD Greek Edition)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

World Be Gone (2CD Greek Edition)  This thread currently has 17,985 views. Print
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » All Recommend Thread
Mikedepaz
November 27, 2017, 12:20am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 7 hours 14 minutes
United Nations, we end up understanding each other

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 45 - 272
glazball
November 27, 2017, 2:11pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 3 hours 20 minutes
Be careful what you wish for, indeed!  I boycotted this release.

What really pisses me off is that many of us were hoping for Be Careful as a single, and we got the crappy JALL instead.  Mute sells us a CD single filled with mostly forgettable JALL mixes knowing the whole time that Be Careful mixes were in the works (which I assume have GOT to be better mixes than JALL mixes).

Like Mr First said, after throwing money after money to buy and then rebuy everything Erasure (ie, FM2M), I'm losing my taste for this money-grabbing crap.  If we get these released as a single that everyone can (reasonably) purchase, I'll get them.  If not, I'll just have to live without them.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 46 - 272
mr first
November 27, 2017, 6:23pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 22 hours 13 minutes
I've never Seen the point of these import releases like the Czech release of rock me gently(reasonably priced by the way)or is there reason behind these releases cos neither country is noted for its erasure popularity(if anyone could enlighten on this much obliged)or is just mutes sinister way of driving us fans into a frenzy every time something new is released
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 47 - 272
ben
November 27, 2017, 8:35pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
20 days 22 hours 47 minutes
Quoted from mr first
I've never Seen the point of these import releases like the Czech release of rock me gently(reasonably priced by the way)or is there reason behind these releases cos neither country is noted for its erasure popularity(if anyone could enlighten on this much obliged)or is just mutes sinister way of driving us fans into a frenzy every time something new is released

Well the German/Czech release of Rock Me Gently was just a single, you didn't have to buy the whole album again. Though it flopped in both countries, it was well worth a try and we got some good stuff on those discs.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 48 - 272
glazball
November 27, 2017, 10:23pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 3 hours 20 minutes
I don't know if it was accurate or speculation, but the idea at the time was that Rock Me Gently, with all the long mixes and long running time, was not going to be able to make the UK singles chart, so Mute let their new Czech offices release it.  Germany also got a CD single because Germans seem to get everything electronic music related!

This Greek WBG simply makes no sense to me.  My best, cynical guess is that Be Careful was considered but scrapped as a single, so someone decided to print a few CDs of the mixes, package it with the album (that by now everyone has at least 1 copy of) and charge a premium price.

I know there are many fans who, no matter what is released, are just going to open their wallet and pay whatever it costs.  I know some of you here bought this, and I'm not faulting you by any means, but I personally am just tired of rewarding this kind of behavior.  Looks like my boycott was rather useless though since obviously it sold out before even Richard could mention it in the weekly newsletter!

Just tacky.

And I have to wonder what other WBG repackagings we'll get next year around tour time!  You know they are cooking up something.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 49 - 272
Tin Soldier
November 28, 2017, 1:53am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 18 hours 53 minutes
Well, I like Marsheaux, and I'm deciding to, for the moment, feel positive about being hoodwinked into laying down my cash for this.

Still, while I get your point, this is not nearly as egregious as the multiple digital editions of Electric Blue being spaced out as they were, and it's pretty on par with what the Japanese labels had done in the heyday (and still occasionally get up to) of Britpop popularity. Put simply, this niche market really doesn't exist as it did then, and most licensed labels don't attempt to do it...if they even try to license a release these days. UNDO is an anomaly here in their attempt to corner the remaining "expanded import" market when it comes to Erasure. In fact, I kind of applaud them for trying to do something so nostalgic and succeeding (Unlike other true cashgrabs like Intervention with their Wonderland Sire LP reissue). I wish I could walk into Tower or HMV and find a copy in the Imports section.  

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 50 - 272
Gareth Pugh
December 10, 2017, 3:07pm Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 19 hours 49 minutes
Quoted from mr first

I don't know to be honest. It might be a condition of getting Undo to take on the album's greek release/distribution that small labels provide them with the chance to do something exclusive. I know it's not just Mute, 100% records (home of OMD since they reformed) agreed to a similar 'greek only edition' of their first reunion album, (the brilliant) History of Modern; that came with 2 or 3 bonus remixes (again, including one by Undo's own act Marsheaux) and that came in very nice different packaging (black sturdy slipcase sealed with a printed logo'd ribbon and a wax seal with the OMD logo on).  So I'd guess it is something like that. I guess having exclusive content helps Undo because it widens their potential sales audience up to fans around the world also wanting it. And who knows, that might make the difference between it being worth Undo's while to get it printed up and not, numbers-wise.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 51 - 272
Gareth Pugh
December 10, 2017, 5:08pm Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
I don't know if it was accurate or speculation, but the idea at the time was that Rock Me Gently, with all the long mixes and long running time, was not going to be able to make the UK singles chart, so Mute let their new Czech offices release it.  Germany also got a CD single because Germans seem to get everything electronic music related!

And I have to wonder what other WBG repackagings we'll get next year around tour time!  You know they are cooking up something.

The way Rock Me Gently was released was, I heard, Mute decided it wasn't financially worth risking good money after bad on a third UK domestic single after the first two had underperformed here quite badly (by Erasure's standards at that time), but that the album project had done OK in some continental territories (Czech Republic and a little later Germany and the Netherlands with the 4-track CD format).

The UK chart rules at that time allowed for an EP CD (the insistence on having to have a 2-track '7inch content amount' CD single as part of the formats mix came later) which could have up to 4 tracks and could contain songs other than just the A-side, but couldn't exceed either 4 tracks and 20 mins. The German and Dutch 4-track CD would have allowed for that, no problem. Then, you were also allowed a remixes CD and that had a more generous 40 minutes max run time, providing you didn't  include anything except versions of just the A-side track. You could release both and indeed, that's the pattern the UK releases of Stay with Me and Fingers and Thumbs followed. I suspect the German/Dutch 4-track would have been the UK 'CDMute xxx' and then the 4 mixes exclusive to the Czech CD (i.e. excluding the 7" mix of RMG and Chertsey Endlos) would have made up the UK 'LCD Mute xxx'.

In other words, there would have been no problem splitting the total of 8 different tracks and mixes that exist across all RMG EU formats into a permutation that was in keeping with all other 'Erasure' album singles, and keeping within the chart rules. And so I'd heard the import of (I think I was told by the EIS) 5,000 copies of the Czech CD into the UK for distribution to larger record stores like Virgin and HMV as 'Import' was a gesture to keep UK fans happy. But not to do with track lengths and    prevailing chart rules.

Also - something tells me you may well be right about there being a collectible/expanded/re-released format of the WBG album to coincide with the tour. I know nothing whatsoever by the way, so i'm not dropping hints when I say that, I don't know any - but my gut-feel says I think you could well be right on that one.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 52 - 272
DAJ
December 13, 2017, 9:02pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 12 hours 15 minutes
My recollection was that it had something to do with the fact that Erasure had had an unbroken string of Top 20 hits going back to "Sometimes," and that this would be preserved by not releasing "Rock Me Gently." in the UK.  "Fingers and Thumbs" only made #20, and they did manage to go one further with "In My Arms."  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 53 - 272
Mikedepaz
December 14, 2017, 3:59am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from DAJ
My recollection was that it had something to do with the fact that Erasure had had an unbroken string of Top 20 hits going back to "Sometimes," and that this would be preserved by not releasing "Rock Me Gently." in the UK.  "Fingers and Thumbs" only made #20, and they did manage to go one further with "In My Arms."  

I remember something to this effect. But oddly enough they did a real high quality professional video for RMG and this  to me one of their best videos too.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 54 - 272
DAJ
December 14, 2017, 1:45pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 12 hours 15 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz

I remember something to this effect. But oddly enough they did a real high quality professional video for RMG and this  to me one of their best videos too.

Yes, but maybe they had made the video while preparing the release, then changed their minds.  It is a good video, though.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 55 - 272
Mikedepaz
December 15, 2017, 4:22am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from DAJ

Yes, but maybe they had made the video while preparing the release, then changed their minds.  It is a good video, though.  

The video was made for a UK release or was it all along for the Czech/ German release?

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 56 - 272
Pughie
December 15, 2017, 7:03am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
158 days 18 hours 10 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz

The video was made for a UK release or was it all along for the Czech/ German release?

That's a very good question,the video for RMG was argualbly one of their finest (some are real stinkers not mentioning any names Star/Elevation) it does beg the question why spend what looks like a very big budget on a very small release?,maybe it was earmarked for a wider release?

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 57 - 272
Mikedepaz
December 17, 2017, 1:09pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Both Erasure and Depeche Mode have missed the boat on RSD. They have their perfect target audience just waiting for Anything- Globally!! Yes the numbers aren't large but it always keeps the hardcore fans buying from their favorite groups. As Mark mentioned already, we should have had many cool things done already. Hope they do something for 2018

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 58 - 272
Gareth Pugh
December 17, 2017, 5:51pm Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pughie

That's a very good question,the video for RMG was argualbly one of their finest (some are real stinkers not mentioning any names Star/Elevation) it does beg the question why spend what looks like a very big budget on a very small release?,maybe it was earmarked for a wider release?

I'd always assumed the RMG video was shot before they decided to scale back the planned full-scale UK release (CD, LCD, 12" etc.) to the more limited formats and countries?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 59 - 272
19 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    World Be Gone (2017)  ›  World Be Gone (2CD Greek Edition)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread