Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Is Vince a Captain Scarlet fan?
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum    General Boards    Vince Clarke Misc  ›  Is Vince a Captain Scarlet fan?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Is Vince a Captain Scarlet fan?  This thread currently has 411 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Pughie
November 16, 2017, 10:15pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
159 days 7 hours 48 minutes

Whilst listening to the Erasure track Symphony this week it dawned on me that the lyrics are the names of 4 of the 5 Angel Intercepter pilots from the kids TV show Captain Scarlet. Why Destiny got missed out i dont know,maybe its not a feeling you get listening to music) Anyway while looking for the photo to illustrate the show i also realised Clarke & Ware also released the album Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle which is the name of the vehicle in the lower part of the DVD cover photo.

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Online
Private Message
glazball
November 17, 2017, 4:30pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 22 hours 10 minutes
Very interesting - I think you're on to something here!  Out of curiosity, did you mean Love the Way You Do So instead of Symphony (which is instrumental)?

Speaking of "captains", I bet Vince must also be a fan of Captain Sensible.  I just found this song the other day, Wot.  The bassline is exactly the same as Family Fantastic's Doin' This Thing (one of my fav tracks on Nice btw!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pqC563bX_w

Edit: for those members who may not be familiar with Vince's work in Family Fantastic, here is Doin' This Thing   The bassline also strongly reminds me of the classic rap track Rappers Delight by Sugarhill Gang.  In fact, that might be where Captain Sensible got it from (or at least the idea).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5H2RPJH8BE

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 9
kwerty
November 17, 2017, 7:13pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 20 hours 37 minutes
Quoted from glazball
I bet Vince must also be a fan of Captain Sensible.  I just found this song the other day, Wot.  The bassline is exactly the same as Family Fantastic's Doin' This Thing... The bassline also strongly reminds me of the classic rap track Rappers Delight by Sugarhill Gang.  In fact, that might be where Captain Sensible got it from (or at least the idea).

'Doin' This Thing' is a pastiche of 'Rappers Delight'. That's kind of the point.

Vince may or may not be a fan of Captain Sensible, but I'd say that is neither here nor there with regards to writing 'Doin' This Thing'.

'Wot' also may or may not be influenced by 'Rappers Delight', although whether directly or indirectly, it can't not be just because of the influence the song has culturally. It's practically regarded as being the birth of hip-hop music.

But 'Doin' This Thing' is quite clearly and indisputably a pastiche of 'Rappers Delight'. Captain Sensible doesn't figure into it.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 9
glazball
November 17, 2017, 8:55pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 22 hours 10 minutes
You don't think so?  Though of course Rappers Delight is the obvious influence, Wot sounds exactly like Doin This Thing to me!  Watching that silly video (Captain Sensible), I just got the impression it would have appealed to Vince's silly sense of humor.  Seems like such a "British" track, but it was totally new to me so I'm just speculating.  I have no idea how popular Wot may or may not have been in the UK.

With regards to Pughie's op, I remember reading about the origin of Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle's title.  It's funny to finally see a picture of it!  Wasn't it a line of toys in UK also, or just a tv show?  Vince obviously was/is a fan.  I'd like to see him and Andy do a space-themed album.  From Moscow to Mars doesn't count!

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 9
Pughie
November 18, 2017, 9:59am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
Very interesting - I think you're on to something here!  Out of curiosity, did you mean Love the Way You Do So instead of Symphony (which is instrumental)?

No I did mean Symphony it is an instrumental as such (no lyrics as a normal song) but does include the 4 Angels names

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 4 - 9
Pughie
November 18, 2017, 2:08pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pughie

Whilst listening to the Erasure track Symphony this week it dawned on me that the lyrics are the names of 4 of the 5 Angel Intercepter pilots from the kids TV show Captain Scarlet. Why Destiny got missed out i dont know,maybe its not a feeling you get listening to music) Anyway while looking for the photo to illustrate the show i also realised Clarke & Ware also released the album Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle which is the name of the vehicle in the lower part of the DVD cover photo.

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 5 - 9
Tin Soldier
November 28, 2017, 11:05am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
24 days 19 hours 57 minutes
Hmm, just wondered if you Brits liked Team America or thought it mean-spirited?

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 9
Pughie
November 28, 2017, 12:57pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Hmm, just wondered if you Brits liked Team America or thought it mean-spirited?

I loved it,especially the secret signal

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 7 - 9
Tin Soldier
November 28, 2017, 1:23pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
24 days 19 hours 57 minutes

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 9
Pughie
November 28, 2017, 2:10pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Team America was a sort of up to date homage to the Gerry Anderson shows Fireball XL5,Stingray,Thunderbirds,Space 1999 & Terrahawks

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 9 - 9
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Vince Clarke Misc  ›  Is Vince a Captain Scarlet fan?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread