Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Is it selfish
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum    Erasure Concert Tours +    World Be Gone Tour (2018)  ›  Is it selfish
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Is it selfish  This thread currently has 550 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
luminous786
November 15, 2017, 4:49am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 3 hours 29 minutes
So like many of you I have been a fan for 30+ years and seen the boys countless times.  I'm tired of hearing the hits.  Don't get me wrong, any chance to see Erasure live is an absolute joy!  BUT...with 30+ years under our belt I have a hard time believing that the audience just wants to hear the hits.  Andy and Vince have been good about bringing back a few songs that they do not play regularly, but there are certain songs I just want to hear and some of them I'v never heard live before.  Is it selfish to want to hear these tracks?

1. Reunion
2. Heavenly Action
3. Leave Me To Bleed
4. Don't Dance
5. The Hardest Part
6. When I Needed You
7. How Many Times?
8. Waiting for the Day
9. Turns the Love to Anger
10. Perfect Stranger
11. Home - They used to play this on regularly
12. Over the Rainbow
13. S.O.S.
14.  Take Me Back
15. All Through the Years
16. Blues Away
17. Miracle
18. Grace
19. Love the Way you Do so
20. Angel
21. Boy
22. Save Me Darling
23. Perchance To Dream
24. Catch 22
25. Here in My Heart
26. Fly Away
27. Loving Man
28. Die 4 Love
29. Don't Suppose
30. True Love Wars

Tin, at least we'll get to hear Phantom Bride again, but there are so many amazing tracks that we need to hear again some of which for the 1st time.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Tin Soldier
November 15, 2017, 5:08am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
21 days 7 hours 15 minutes
You just knew I'd chime in with that again, eh?

Well, after PB, I find it hard to argue with your list. Especially the ones I highlighted.

1. Reunion
2. Heavenly Action
3. Leave Me To Bleed
4. Don't Dance
5. The Hardest Part
6. When I Needed You
7. How Many Times?
8. Waiting for the Day
9. Turns the Love to Anger
10. Perfect Stranger
11. Home - They used to play this on regularly
12. Over the Rainbow
13. S.O.S.
14.  Take Me Back
15. All Through the Years
16. Blues Away
17. Miracle
18. Grace
19. Love the Way you Do so
20. Angel
21. Boy
22. Save Me Darling
23. Perchance To Dream
24. Catch 22
25. Here in My Heart
26. Fly Away
27. Loving Man
28. Die 4 Love
29. Don't Suppose
30. True Love Wars

I'd also add She Won't Be Home, which really ought to be a setlist staple for gigs late in the year.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 1 - 16
Pughie
November 15, 2017, 6:01am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
154 days 20 hours 49 minutes
I don't think it's selfish,surely a purely rarities tour isn't a total non-starter?
Over 30 years of Hits is a rarity in itself,but yes there are many,many tracks that have never been played live,most of I Say/Erasure to name but two albums,plus Vince's decision to only play around 5 tracks from albums after neglecting the rest,I don't see the point of having a tour named after an album then to not play that album.
The wealth of b-sides could also spawn a tour just for them.
If this were to happen then please please please do NOT make the mistake of NOT recording it!!,the travesty of the Vilolet Flame Tour 12" mixes not being released is un-forgivable.

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 16
Tin Soldier
November 15, 2017, 1:00pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Realistically, the most likely way they will perform most of those non-single album tracks is via performing the albums (not uncommon among other artists who tour), which was discussed here in another thread. The problem then, as now, is that folks would expect analogue equipment used for album shows of Chorus, etc., and Vince has moved on to softsynths.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 16
glazball
November 15, 2017, 5:22pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 20 hours 47 minutes
Selfish isn't the right word, but whatever the proper word is...  I'm that too!  There are so many tracks that would be great to hear live, but it seems (sadly) that it just won't ever happen.  If you remember the EIS poll months ago, the majority of people (supposedly) voted to hear Phantom Bride, a track that's already been performed numerous times.  So it seems most fans don't even care to hear obscure or under-represented tracks.

The band simply has no incentive to play obscure, older, or b-side tracks.  The general audience doesn't know them, and gets quiet.  Some people leave.  Then Sometimes starts and it's all cheers.  They have to play songs that people will recognize because the setlist those of us in this thread would love to hear just wouldn't work when we bring our friends and significant others who don't know every song on every album (much less b-sides).

What I would love is a non-single/b-side show, just one, for us fans.  Record it, put it on CD/DVD, and sell it as Buried Treasure 3.  Analog (ideal), softsynth, orchestral, acoustic, hip-hop, opera.. I don't care anymore.  I just want to hear Grace performed live once in my life!

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 16
Tin Soldier
November 15, 2017, 5:49pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
If you remember the EIS poll months ago, the majority of people (supposedly) voted to hear Phantom Bride, a track that's already been performed numerous times.  So it seems most fans don't even care to hear obscure or under-represented tracks.

There's easier ways to start fights with me. Just sayin'.  

C'mon, PB is not a setlist staple, and Andy consistently "disses" the track as a fan favorite. He's on record as not liking it, which is the sole thing that has me question his sanity. If it weren't for all those absolutely unique votes from authentic individual fans, I don't know if we'd even hear the track these days.

That said...

Quoted from glazball
The band simply has no incentive to play obscure, older, or b-side tracks.  The general audience doesn't know them, and gets quiet.  Some people leave.  Then Sometimes starts and it's all cheers.  They have to play songs that people will recognize because the setlist those of us in this thread would love to hear just wouldn't work when we bring our friends and significant others who don't know every song on every album (much less b-sides).

What I would love is a non-single/b-side show, just one, for us fans.  Record it, put it on CD/DVD, and sell it as Buried Treasure 3.  Analog (ideal), softsynth, orchestral, acoustic, hip-hop, opera.. I don't care anymore.  I just want to hear Grace performed live once in my life!

Agreed. This is not the setlist for the casual fan, and there's risk that casual fans wouldn't go for album shows. It would have to be something EIS-oriented. Maybe an added smaller gig at the end of a bigger tour? Something like the Tiny Tour at most if several gigs. I just wonder if the tickets would sell for such a restricted setlist. Maybe 2-3 other hits in the encore could be the saving grace.

In all seriousness, I want you to hear Grace, glaz, I really do. I just want you to realize you live in a universe where it will not come at the expense of PB's popularity among fans. Like death and taxes, it's something you have to learn to live with.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 16
MikeyC
November 16, 2017, 12:10am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 21 hours 16 minutes
I suspect "Phantom Bride" didn't actually win the fan poll but whatever DID win (likely "Take Me Back") V & A just didn't want to perform! *Shhhh*  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 16
Tin Soldier
November 16, 2017, 12:18am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Whatever gets you through the day, dude.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 16
MikeyC
November 16, 2017, 12:57pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 21 hours 16 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Whatever gets you through the day, dude.  

Waiting for the day!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 16
DAJ
November 16, 2017, 2:16pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 20 hours 24 minutes
I think that V & A could play pretty much any album track from the "Innocents" at a gig and the majority of people would remember it.  Anything from their heyday, especially uptempo tracks, would go over well.  But from here on out, it is inevitable that the majority of songs will be hits on any major world tour--this is a tried and true formula for them.  It would be great if they did a series of concerts recreating the albums one by one, but Andy would have to relearn a lot of lyrics....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 16
glazball
November 16, 2017, 5:20pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 20 hours 47 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier

In all seriousness, I want you to hear Grace, glaz, I really do. I just want you to realize you live in a universe where it will not come at the expense of PB's popularity among fans. Like death and taxes, it's something you have to learn to live with.  

This had me chuckling!  We'll just have to get them to perform both   I do love me some Phantom Bride too, ya know!  Group hug.

But MikeyC, I think you're right.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 16
luminous786
November 16, 2017, 5:42pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from DAJ
I think that V & A could play pretty much any album track from the "Innocents" at a gig and the majority of people would remember it.  Anything from their heyday, especially uptempo tracks, would go over well.  But from here on out, it is inevitable that the majority of songs will be hits on any major world tour--this is a tried and true formula for them.  It would be great if they did a series of concerts recreating the albums one by one, but Andy would have to relearn a lot of lyrics....

I think Chorus would go down well as well.  And Andy learned songs for Torsten...sort of....so think he could relearn Erasure songs no problem.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 16
Tin Soldier
November 17, 2017, 12:51am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from luminous786
I think Chorus would go down well as well.  And Andy learned songs for Torsten...sort of....so think he could relearn Erasure songs no problem.

...and like in that other thread, the issue of what fans would expect from an album-based show raises its head again: Chorus fans expect analogue synths.

Anyone remember the Phantasmagorical Tour? How about the Tiny Tour? Do you really think Vince will bring that level of equipment out again? I naively thought perhaps back in the day, but most didn't, and these days, what with the expense vs. how well such a show would do (one off?), I doubt it will occur unless it was in Vince's basement.

Also, while I liked Always 2009, I don't think too many were impressed by that, and I do think that was Vince's way of testing the waters for trying to duplicate the sound for future live performances.

In the end, I think this is why we haven't had album-based shows. If Vince did try Chorus or ISISIS with softsynths, I'd be there regardless, but casual fans might be disappointed, and I think the reviews might be harsh.

Believe me, I hate being so cynical. I WANT a tour with a truck just for the synths alone. I'd even pay more for the ticket.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 12 - 16
Mikedepaz
November 17, 2017, 3:34am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
25 days 20 hours 2 minutes
a one off fan friendly request list concert would be a dream come true. A website voting of the entire catalog

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 16
Pughie
November 17, 2017, 9:01am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
154 days 20 hours 49 minutes
I don’t think it would be too difficult I mean remember Yazoo’s re-Connected Tour VC used the original tapes and remixed/edited and added new drums etc and that tour was a marvel. I don’t think he needs all the old synths to achieve a great new sounding fan friendly tour

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 16
Tin Soldier
November 17, 2017, 3:27pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Oh, I'd love to go to that, but remember that there's considerably less complexity to Yazoo arrangements than that of Chorus or ISISIS. I don't think it will be as easy as you think. Just listen to Always 2009, and then try to imagine RTTS done the same...and then imagine that live. That would still be enjoyable for you and I, but an aural departure from the aforementioned tours. Plus, those tours weren't really expected by casual fans to provide as close a rendition as I think would be expected from a touted album-specific show. We would be happy, but casual fans are needed to fill venues too, and I think they would be disappointed.

Someone please convince me I'm wrong here.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 15 - 16
luminous786
November 17, 2017, 4:17pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I tend to agree with Pughie.  I think this could be done.  I think technology has progressed such that Vince could reprogram using soft synths. If not possible use the backing tracks.  I just want to here these albums live.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 16
2 Pages 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    Erasure Concert Tours +    World Be Gone Tour (2018)  ›  Is it selfish

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread