Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum    General Boards    Non-Erasure Chat  ›  Anglophilia
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Anglophilia  This thread currently has 300 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Tin Soldier
November 4, 2017, 11:38pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 53 minutes
(This is one of those threads I think I might have started on erasure.com/erasure.org/erasureinfo.com back in the day, but neglected to carry on until now.)

Do you find that along with your love of the boys, and likely Vince's other bands, and probably synthpop as a whole, that you tend to like a lot of British things?

I wonder, as I seem to have liked a few things early on in childhood, not really knowing their ethnic/cultural roots, only to find they come from or originate in the UK. While I'm no believer in reincarnation, I jokingly say that I must have been a Brit before considering the oddness of the circumstances.

Now, that's not exactly the usual experience I have with folks who actually proclaim themselves to be Anglophiles, of course. Most I've seen or met seem to seek out and embrace the aspects of the culture. I seem to have liked things early on, and saw that they predominantly hail from there. Hmm, can you be be a subconscious Anglophile...as a toddler?  

Anyhow, I wonder who initially sought out or embraced Erasure due to being English/British.

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
MikeyC
November 5, 2017, 1:36am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 4 hours 18 minutes
I do find that the best music in the history of everything has come out of the UK!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
Mikedepaz
November 5, 2017, 1:40am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
27 days 3 hours 33 minutes
Some if not all of my favorite groups are from the UK. The island has produced the most original type of music I like and continues to be a source for new music. however, music lately coming out of there has a big US overproduced influence.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
Tin Soldier
November 5, 2017, 2:46am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 53 minutes
Quoted from MikeyC
I do find that the best music in the history of everything has come out of the UK!!  

On the whole, I agree. You can take a few shots at Brit artists lifting stuff from Blues, R&B, Reggae, and the like, but I think the best innovation was from the UK; most especially in the 60s and 80s. For every genre, there was a Brit embracing it, and putting their own spin on it,; even with previously less-chart friendly genres.

Quoted from Mikedepaz
Some if not all of my favorite groups are from the UK. The island has produced the most original type of music I like and continues to be a source for new music. however, music lately coming out of there has a big US overproduced influence.

Well, I did give a few reasons why Brits aren't always considered originators, but more innovators, but I tend to agree.

As for our influence, there are some times when anyone of any culture can feel some shame about how that culture affects others, and this is one of those I feel as an American towards Britain...along with McDonald's and Starbucks (Sorry, folks).

Then again, they did get us back with Pop Idol and Big Brother. Oh, and Teletubbies...no, that's one we yanks cannot forgive.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
gabila100
November 5, 2017, 4:52am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 22 hours 49 minutes
Hmmm, don't wanna be a negative person, but the more one learns in life about politics,  social environments, money, the more I personally dislike what the British empire represents and a lot of its people. Sorry.

On the positive side, I like British humor, BBC service and the British literature.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Mikedepaz
November 6, 2017, 2:03am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
27 days 3 hours 33 minutes
Well you can say that about, France, Spain, Portugal, Germany, Holland and Italy. Most world issues we have today involve those countries but we live now in 2017 and what is done is done.

I love the cultures and people of these countries. We have to look forward.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
Tin Soldier
November 6, 2017, 6:40am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 53 minutes
True. There's not one nation on Earth without a bloody history. Some are just more recent than others. It's a sad aspect of our species we have yet to overcome.

That acknowledged, Britain has a rich culture...or cultures, including that of England.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
glazball
November 6, 2017, 9:35pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 6 hours 5 minutes
I have to agree that the majority of the music I L-O-V-E originated in the UK.  I knew this as a young man before I had learned the horrid history of the British Empire, but like Mike and others mentioned, all other world powers have sordid histories of their own.  We do need to look forward.

I could go on and on about the Beatles and the British invasion, but sticking to electronic music - Erasure and DM are my first loves, and I always felt they convey emotion and sincerity, giving their music the breath of life (pun intended!).  In contrast, my earliest experiences with German electronic music pushed me away from that scene for many, many years.  Though I love it now in retrospect, I never emotionally connected to the likes of Kraftwerk, Hubert Kah, etc that seemed too robot-like and computery.

In regards to other British acts, I've been doing a lot of research and discovery of progressive rock and the rise of synthesizers.  I can't say I love all of it, but it is fascinating to dig deeper into the catalogs of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Genesis, Hawkwind, Camel, ELO and on and on.  As a lover of classical music, I appreciate that many of these artists have a classical background in music, as opposed to the rock and blues background of the US.

So yes, I love jolly old England and all the wonderful art its people have given the world.  Would I ever want to be a British citizen?  Nope!  I'd never bow to a king/queen or give up my Constitutional rights (what's left of them).

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
JSDOUVRES
November 10, 2017, 5:11am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 15 hours 13 minutes
Quoted from gabila100
Hmmm, don't wanna be a negative person, but the more one learns in life about politics,  social environments, money, the more I personally dislike what the British empire represents and a lot of its people. Sorry.

On the positive side, I like British humor, BBC service and the British literature.

Interesting post, I can only imagine you are European or something and are still bitter and disappointed at our democratic decision to leave the failing and undemocratic EU and all the economically weak and failing countries that we have been funding all these years as well as being a place that millions of Europeans have turned to due to lack of prosperity in their own countries.
I wonder how politics, social environments, money etc are represented where you come from? I suppose it's all much much better than the UK but I doubt it very much! And if you really believe in democracy then Brexit is something you should have no problem in accepting and respecting so you are a bit hypocritical there.
Maybe you should look closely at your own country's heritage and system before criticising others and should try not to judge others simply because they are doing better than you although for many it is a way of masking and deflecting their own failings of course. One of the things that has shocked me the most in recent Brexit negotiations has been politicians coming to Britain from economically failing Eastern European countries trying to tell us how to do our business and telling us what they want from us! Quite simply an absolute joke and quite ridiculous! Like me telling Andy Bell how to sing or telling Vince Clarke how to programme a synthesizer!
Britain is and has been one of the most open and prosperous countries in the world for a lot of people from all over the world for a long time but there is just no pleasing some people is there? I can only put it down to bitterness.
Oh well, at least we have some good music to fall back on, and that we certainly do, regardless of that chip on your shoulder!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Non-Erasure Chat  ›  Anglophilia

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Thread Tags