Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
LOVEBOAT appreciation thread
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Loveboat (2000)  ›  LOVEBOAT appreciation thread
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

LOVEBOAT appreciation thread  This thread currently has 630 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
synthpopfan
February 2, 2017, 12:26am Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 7 hours 42 minutes
I had largely written it off the album at the time of
release due to a casual listens and mostly reviews
that slagged it off.

As the Erasure that I've been listening to almost
exclusively over the past two weeks, I have
re-evaluated the set.

I absolutely love it! So many beautiful textures and
soundscapes and Andy's voice sounds incredible.

What I've come like about it all, is the funkiness of
the chunky beats and purposely degraded and
stressed instrumental quality as well as the lush
flourishes found throughout the songs. There are
twinkly bits, reversed sounds, lush pads, boxy
rhythms and some pretty deep bass as well to be
found throughout.

Despite not having bigger hits (if at all), I think it is
a sumptuously written and produced album in all
and certainly a chilled, fine listen at this time here
in snowny and cold Minnesota.

SIDEBAR: Now, I know that there were
concerns and complaints about bad mastering (etc)
surrounding this release originally. Has it been
determined that there are versions out there that
suffer from this? I have the French 'Labels' disc from
2000, and it seems to me that the sonics that I
described above are intentional.

How does the 2003 American pressing sound?

One Dad's music collection from the Twin Cities:

http://www.instagram.com/TonalEvidence
IG @TonalEvidence
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mikedepaz
February 2, 2017, 2:07am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
21 days 21 hours 5 minutes
I dont notice the difference on the US pressing. Its a great album but wish Freedom was not on there. I feels out of place

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 18
luminous786
February 2, 2017, 6:23pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 17 hours 4 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
I dont notice the difference on the US pressing. Its a great album but wish Freedom was not on there. I feels out of place

I just wish they would remaster it and give it a proper release.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 18
glazball
February 2, 2017, 7:14pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
4 days 22 hours
Agreed it needs a proper remastering.  However, I was speaking with a fellow fan who made a nice lossless needledrop encoding from the original UK vinyl on nice equipment, and neither he nor I can tell a difference.  His thought is that the poor sound quality is due to poor samples which Vince wanted to use for the album, rather than the usual way he produces his synth sounds.  I am not technical enough to know if that is 100% correct, but it would explain the muddy sound quality throughout all pressings on all formats in all regions.  If the source sounds like mess, they will all sound like mess.

So, if that IS true, it would require Vince to basically re-record the album with proper sounds and samples.

He also suggests that Ben Hillier, who is credited with additional mixing on Loveboat (iirc, I don't have it in front of me) could be responsible for the muddy sound.  He also produced DM's last 3 albums and Playing the Angel is known to be mastered loud or "hot."  So, BOO Ben Hillier!!

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 18
glazball
February 2, 2017, 7:30pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
4 days 22 hours
Addendum to my post above:  I read a Vince interview where he states he took inspiration from Dark Side of the Moon for the sound quality of the self-titled Erasure album.  I can't help but wonder - why not give that same attention to ALL Erasure releases??  The ugly sound on Loveboat and others (Make it Wonderful on Snow Globe comes to mind) should never have happened.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 18
kwerty
February 3, 2017, 12:17am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 6 hours 16 minutes
'Loveboat' sounds the way it does because it's supposed to sound like that. That's the way the album was produced. It's got nothing to do with the mastering. Mastering (or remastering) isn't what you think it is or does what you think it does.

It's the album ERASURE at the time wanted it to be. They were trying to do something different.

It's not Flood's 'fault'

It's not Ben Hillier's 'fault'

It's ERASURE'S 'fault'.

Remixing it all on the other-hand might deliver what you want. But I wouldn't hold your breath on waiting for it to happen!

Quoted from glazball
...the poor sound quality is due to poor samples which Vince wanted to use for the album...

Vince doesn't generally use samples.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 18
ben
February 3, 2017, 12:30am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
17 days 7 hours 24 minutes
I absolutely love that album and it's sound. It is a real headphones album, it has so many wonderful sounds and structures and a warmth that not found anywhere else.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 18
glazball
February 3, 2017, 12:57am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
4 days 22 hours
Quoted from kwerty

Vince doesn't generally use samples.

I know, but he apparently wanted to build an album based on samples for Loveboat.  I don't believe that it sounds the way ERASURE wanted it to be because Vince himself wanted a multi-channel re-mix/master not long after release.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 18
kwerty
February 3, 2017, 1:45am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 6 hours 16 minutes
Quoted from glazball
I don't believe that it sounds the way ERASURE wanted it to be because Vince himself wanted a multi-channel re-mix/master not long after release.

I think you're maybe interpreting what he may have said to suit your own feelings about the album.

If he said that, could it not be that he wanted a multi-channel version of the album because he LIKED the album he'd just made? Multi-channel just means a surround sound version. Nothing more. I doubt it was because to suggest he thought it was a way to 'fix' it.

Making a multi-channel version isn't the same as changing the sound of it. He was most likely just saying that he'd like a surround sound version of it. The sounds would still be the same.

I've mentioned this before, but I recall someone once mentioning the perceived 'poor production' Flood had done on the album and Vince's reply was "That's funny, I thought I produced that album." That strongly infers to me that it was more his album than Flood's (and that he was perhaps insulted that anyone thought otherwise).

Besides, do you truly think Vince had no control over the final sound of Loveboat and just let Flood (and now Ben Hillier apparently) to do their thing with it? I don't believe so. That just doesn't sound like Vince to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 18
synthpopfan
February 3, 2017, 4:32am Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I love the sonic variations and the change in programming and
production on this release.

As for Freedom sounding out of place? I like it a lot. The radio edit
has been substituted and it's B-side has been introduced as track
12 for now.

As Ben as mentioned - and I echoed a not-to-disimilar impression
- that it's a lovely intimate and "chilled out" companion in the evening.
And to straight up acknowledge Ben's "headphones" comment, that is
exactly how I re-familiarized myself with the album: on headphones.

This album is pure class.

IG @TonalEvidence
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 18
glazball
February 3, 2017, 7:24pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
4 days 22 hours
Quoted from kwerty

If he said that, could it not be that he wanted a multi-channel version of the album because he LIKED the album he'd just made? Multi-channel just means a surround sound version. Nothing more. I doubt it was because to suggest he thought it was a way to 'fix' it.

No, his remarks were specifically relating to the complaints that almost everyone had about the sound quality of the album.  I've tried to google to find his comments, but I can't so maybe I'm mis-remembering or I misunderstood.  Of course simply making a multi-channel mix won't "fix" anything, but the idea was that it needed to be cleaned up and part of that was into include separation of channels into a 5.1 mix.

Quoted from kwerty

Besides, do you truly think Vince had no control over the final sound of Loveboat and just let Flood (and now Ben Hillier apparently) to do their thing with it? I don't believe so. That just doesn't sound like Vince to me.

Yes, and no.  I believe it happens more often than not.  Andy obviously had a lot going on at that time and Vince... I dunno.  Loveboat really got no love at all from anybody upon release!  Hell, I didn't know the album was even OUT until seeing an import copy at Best Buy.  Whether you love the album (which I do) or hate it, I don't think anyone could say that V&A poured their heart and souls into it like they did with say, Erasure.

And I still put forth that whether it was Vince, or Flood, or Ben Hillier or overuse of poor samples or whatever/whoever - the album does not sound clean and clear like it should.  Listen to the bass in Moon & the Sky.  Even Alien stands out on the Vince FM2M disc compared to everything else (older or newer).

But this is a Loveboat appreciation thread after all!  I haven't given it a good headphone listen in a looooong time so I will do that this weekend.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 18
synthpopfan
February 3, 2017, 7:48pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I prefer Loveboat to Erasure as a whole.
The latter still hasn't clicked with me.

IG @TonalEvidence
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 18
MikeyC
February 3, 2017, 10:43pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 17 hours 59 minutes
Good idea, people! I'll be giving the album a dedicated listening-to on headphones this weekend! (or maybe tonight!)  

I'm a passionate fan of "Here In My Heart", "Catch 22" and "Moon & The Sky"...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 18
Gareth Pugh
February 4, 2017, 1:17am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 4 hours 41 minutes
It took a while to grow on me, but 17 years later Loveboat probably comes in the upper half of my personal E album ranking. If you can make your peace with its scratchy, lo-fi, almost electro-folk stylings, there are actually some really strong songs in there - Alien, Here in My Heart, Catch 22, Love  is the Rage, the deep and dubby Moon & the Sky  - and I've always thought Surreal is truly beautiful and one of the most under-rated ballads of their career.

To speak heresy - for me, Cowboy was the half-hearted album where the song-writing felt phoned-in and a bit like V & A were reaching a bit to try and sound like past glories - but on autopilot.

Looking forward to the new one!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 18
Mikedepaz
February 4, 2017, 2:02am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
21 days 21 hours 5 minutes
Well I like Cowboy too- In My Arms ranks as one of my top favorite from them. I dontt think it sound phoned in or autopilot, it's just a different thing that they were doing in 96. 2000 brought another view that brought us Loveboat. Erasure evolution is unique with many periods for everyone to enjoy.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 18
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Loveboat (2000)  ›  LOVEBOAT appreciation thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread