US Oh L'amour version  This thread currently has 449 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
glazball
January 12, 2017, 7:22pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 3 hours 48 minutes
I've always been puzzled by the different versions of Oh L'amour on the UK vs. US releases of Wonderland.  Being in the US, I grew up with our version of Oh L'amour and it wasn't until years later that I started paying for pricy imports that I found the UK version is different.  Do we know what happened here?

The US version, to my mind, sounds like the "original."  After the line "Looking for you, you were looking for me" there is a flourish with what sounds to me like a wooden xylophone.  The UK version has a similar flourish but it sounds "sparkly" for lack of a better term.

Since the UK Wonderland also includes a chopped-off unlabeled edit of Push Me Shove Me (Tacos Mix), could it be that whoever mastered the UK release made some mistakes and included the Single Mix of Oh L'amour rather than the original?  Or was the US version a mistake in its inclusion, never meant to be released?  afaik, this version has appeared nowhere else in the world.

It's a shame that the deluxe edition of Wonderland didn't include the US version because it's wonderful in its simplicity.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message
Pughie
January 12, 2017, 8:41pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
149 days 16 hours 19 minutes
Quoted from glazball
I've always been puzzled by the different versions of Oh L'amour on the UK vs. US releases of Wonderland.  Being in the US, I grew up with our version of Oh L'amour and it wasn't until years later that I started paying for pricy imports that I found the UK version is different.  Do we know what happened here?

The US version, to my mind, sounds like the "original."  After the line "Looking for you, you were looking for me" there is a flourish with what sounds to me like a wooden xylophone.  The UK version has a similar flourish but it sounds "sparkly" for lack of a better term.

Since the UK Wonderland also includes a chopped-off unlabeled edit of Push Me Shove Me (Tacos Mix), could it be that whoever mastered the UK release made some mistakes and included the Single Mix of Oh L'amour rather than the original?  Or was the US version a mistake in its inclusion, never meant to be released?  afaik, this version has appeared nowhere else in the world.

It's a shame that the deluxe edition of Wonderland didn't include the US version because it's wonderful in its simplicity.

This is purely MY opinion,but I think the US version maybe the original version,and this is because a few years ago Vince programmed a similar sounding version for a live tour and I seem to remember reading that it was Vinces original version of the track.
I hope somebody can back this up.

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 8
kwerty
January 12, 2017, 10:07pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 14 hours 56 minutes
Quoted from glazball
could it be that whoever mastered the UK release made some mistakes and included the Single Mix of Oh L'amour rather than the original?

No. Because the UK album version is not the same as the single mix.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 8
glazball
January 12, 2017, 10:22pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Are they not the same?  I thought they have the same running time of 3:04 but I suppose I should have checked before posting!  I'm at work right now and going from memory, but I'll check when I get home.

The Single Mix is certainly based on the UK album version (if they are indeed different).

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 8
kwerty
January 12, 2017, 10:34pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 14 hours 56 minutes
The difference is perhaps not as obvious as the single version vs. the US version, but they are noticeably different. Overall, the single version is swathed in more reverb than the UK album mix, and there are some other notable differences in sound.

Personally, I think the UK album version was mixed the way it is to make it sound more coherent as part of the Wonderland album. The US version sounds 'out of place' as part of the album I think, like it's using a completely different set of synth sounds not used elsewhere, whereas the UK album mix is more in keeping with the overall production of the album as a whole.

Re: The Push Me Shove tacos edit - there are TWO versions of this on UK albums. The original fades out before reaching where it has been cut. On some later CD pressings, it just cuts with no fade out. This second version WAS a mastering error I believe.

EDIT: I always thought it was a shame that the US mix didn't at make it to somewhere on the Wonderland Deluxe remaster - if not on the actual album then at least on the bonus CD (not that I'd want to sacrifice anything already on it just to fit it in!).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 8
Tin Soldier
January 13, 2017, 4:12am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
15 days 29 minutes
They are different versions. Each has it's own identifying code assigned to it in the Warner Tape Library. I'll (eventually) post this somewhere.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 5 - 8
glazball
January 14, 2017, 12:02am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier
They are different versions. Each has it's own identifying code assigned to it in the Warner Tape Library. I'll (eventually) post this somewhere.

Noob (to the forums) question: What is your relationship with Warner or Mute or the band, Tin Soldier?

An identifying code for each track sounds great (and I'd love to hear more), but what good is it if they aren't followed or used?  Do Dreamlike State (12 Hour Technicolour Mix) and (7" Alternative Mix) have the same identifying code, or different?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 8
Tin Soldier
January 16, 2017, 11:05pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
15 days 29 minutes
Quoted from glazball
Noob (to the forums) question: What is your relationship with Warner or Mute or the band, Tin Soldier?

I love that you asked that question...just because it massages my ego a tad.

Oh, it's nowhere near what I wish it was, and being a n00b has no bearing. You didn't miss any pictures of me hobnobbing with Mr. Miller - Danny, I call him, but that's me. But seriously...

It's mentioned elsewhere, but I was best known as being a moderator on erasure.com, co-admin at erasure.org, and one of the first mods at official EIS messageboard - for which I got myself profiled in the last Private Ear. Unfortunately, my centerfold spread only made the first five issues which were subsequently withdrawn and burned. Greg and I don't speak of it.

If you're swooning already, best have a seat.

Beyond that, I had developed some relationships with those in promotion and publicity at a few labels we know, and smoothed the wheels for some importation of foreign pressings of releases we also know. "Wheel-greaser" might be an apt description, but I've never seen a salaried position called that (checking linkedin right now). What little I received in return I mostly forwarded on to Janet and Jonny back then. I'd hazard to guess that Pughie has done more on the other side of the pond than I...and has the cow suit to prove it.

As for the codes, these are what I refer to:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Standard_Recording_Code

Yes, each edit and mix has one, including those you mentioned. It's how I was able to answer a few questions about which edits appeared on Pop! etc. on the old EIS board.

These days, I try to make Vince laugh on Twitter until the EIS pension comes through. Still waiting on that...

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 7 - 8
Big Al
January 17, 2017, 12:58am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 8 hours 23 minutes
I've just found and rediscovered the 'US' version on YouTube, although I do have the US version of Wonderland on vinyl somewhere in the garage! I'm thinking the US version is essentially the original, while the UK version may have something to do with PWL Aka Funky Sisters/Stock Aitken and Waterman/kings of Europop at the time. Am I right in thinking PWL had a hand in the mix of The Circus too?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 8
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Wonderland (1986)  ›  US Oh L'amour version

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread