Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
When Worlds Collide!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum    General Boards    Non-Erasure Chat  ›  When Worlds Collide!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 3 Guests

When Worlds Collide!  This thread currently has 1,566 views. Print
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Tin Soldier
December 30, 2016, 9:05pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 18 hours 53 minutes
Some of us love things in addition to Erasure (crazy, but true), although never as much, of course.  

During the years, I found those I had befriended via the fan community, and communicated with, have shared interests that often surprised me, as I had them in common.

I just wonder what most here find the most common after the initial love of V&A.

For instance, I found that a fair number of Erasure fans have also been Doctor Who fans; myself included (not to mention Vince himself, as well as Alan and Greg).

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Mikedepaz
December 31, 2016, 12:45am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 7 hours 12 minutes
Not a Dr Who fans but I have other interest that I follow very actively: old advertising, hot wheels and matchbox die cast cars, vintage postcard, historical stamps, gift card art, sports cards, bobble heads, vintage Coca Cola items and bottles, Christmas village, sports memorabilia from local teams, pins of places I visited, old tin signs, military challenge coins, some US coins of states, parks and presidents, classic pop magazine, wacky packages cards, vintage games and puzzles, rare butterfly plants, ohhhh and vinyl, CD and cassettes

I'm sure I missed something but I'm active in all of the above.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 24
Tin Soldier
December 31, 2016, 5:54am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Not a Dr Who fan...

Heretic!  

Quoted from Mikedepaz
...but I have other interest that I follow very actively: old advertising, hot wheels and matchbox die cast cars, vintage postcard, historical stamps, gift card art, sports cards, bobble heads, vintage Coca Cola items and bottles, Christmas village, sports memorabilia from local teams, pins of places I visited, old tin signs, military challenge coins, some US coins of states, parks and presidents, classic pop magazine, wacky packages cards, vintage games and puzzles, rare butterfly plants, ohhhh and vinyl, CD and cassettes.

Hmm, well I do love me some classic 50's advertising art and graphic design. There's a local laundromat in Brooklyn that has cards still on the wall from that era promoting washers from that era. You can tell they weren't added by some millenial hipster, but had been there through the years of owners. I told the owner, who doesn't seem to have a clue of their worth or care, that I would taken them if he ever shut.

I lost so many Matchbox/Hot Wheels/Corgi toys as a kid in moves. It hurts to think what they go for now. Going into comic shops and seeing old second-hand Transformer prices are bad enough. I did love my Corgi 007 models best. I couldn't help but give my Lotus Esprit submarine dips in the bathtub (I hate to think how that must have rusted within).  

Stamps are a sore point for me. I inherited a collection of some value from a grandparent that I had added to and maintained well until a window shattered during Hurricane Gloria and drenched it all. Mildew and mold killed that hobby for me. Still, I have admired some of the graphic design used for stamps. The minimalist monotone intaglio design used for commemorative US stamps from the late 70s through 90s are a favorite. I actually with they'd return to those rather than the full color cartoony stickers we have now. They seem so irreverent and childish.

Not a Coke fan (don't hate it), but I am a Dr Pepper fan. That stuff is addictive. I even buy the lip balm and BBQ syrup.

Well, who can't love Classic Pop mag? That's mere common sense.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 2 - 24
MikeyC
December 31, 2016, 6:08am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 14 hours 45 minutes
I'm passionate about photographs of New York City from the early 1900s through the 80s, the history and struggles of the gay rights movement (I read every book dealing with the topic), the "Tales of the City" book series, several amazing TV series in this "golden era" of television we've been experiencing, including "Mad Men", "The Americans", and "Masters of Sex", and of course electronic pop music (aside from Erasure).  And good coffee!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 24
Tin Soldier
December 31, 2016, 6:13am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Sounds like you can probably put my city knowledge to shame. Of course, this isn't fair to the rest; we're both New York City boys.

I wonder if asking your opinion about Starbucks would fill a thread or not.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 4 - 24
MikeyC
December 31, 2016, 6:21am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 14 hours 45 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Sounds like you can probably put my city knowledge to shame. Of course, this isn't fair to the rest; we're both New York City boys.

I wonder if asking your opinion about Starbucks would fill a thread or not.  

No comment, re: Starbucks.

I frequent "JOE", primarily the original location on Waverly Place.  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 24
Mikedepaz
December 31, 2016, 3:29pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Heretic!  

Hmm, well I do love me some classic 50's advertising art and graphic design. There's a local laundromat in Brooklyn that has cards still on the wall from that era promoting washers from that era. You can tell they weren't added by some millenial hipster, but had been there through the years of owners. I told the owner, who doesn't seem to have a clue of their worth or care, that I would taken them if he ever shut.

Dare I say I own every National Geographic Magazine since 1924, they run a long chain of my grandfather, father and me- been a member since 1979. I save all old copies strictly for the classic adverts that appear in them and save them all for the evolution of advertising- a profession I studed and eventually became an art director..... And retired[

I lost so many Matchbox/Hot Wheels/Corgi toys as a kid in moves. It hurts to think what they go for now. Going into comic shops and seeing old second-hand Transformer prices are bad enough. I did love my Corgi 007 models best. I couldn't help but give my Lotus Esprit submarine dips in the bathtub (I hate to think how that must have rusted within).  

Saved some from the 70's but lost a ton in a move. Got the bug again in 80's and stopped, got the bug again in 2000 and continues now with over 13,000 cars from both sides

Stamps are a sore point for me. I inherited a collection of some value from a grandparent that I had added to and maintained well until a window shattered during Hurricane Gloria and drenched it all. Mildew and mold killed that hobby for me. Still, I have admired some of the graphic design used for stamps. The minimalist monotone intaglio design used for commemorative US stamps from the late 70s through 90s are a favorite. I actually with they'd return to those rather than the full color cartoony stickers we have now. They seem so irreverent and childish.

This has been really my ongoing passion since 8 and never stopped- my collection now is pretty complete from 1847-2016 with only couple of high priced never to acquire items that run into millions. This is my first taste of graphic design I got in miniature. I started in 1974 with a Bicentential series and never looked back. I will say that the worse period in design was the late 70's through 90s  . That was a time when I saw traditional was of the past losing its way to simplistic art and printing I hated. It eventually got better after that when the new advisory committee took over.

I also have a complete collection of Belize/ British Honduras only because I need to complete something else, once I did that I went on to complete British Indian Ocean Territory and now I'm working on Gibraltar. Because these are odd places in the world

Not a Coke fan (don't hate it), but I am a Dr Pepper fan. That stuff is addictive. I even buy the lip balm and BBQ syrup.

Coke started in the 80's when I collected bottles from around the world when people went on trips and brought me back a bottle, 140 counties later it's pretty massive. Goes along side my 1955 coke machine that sells coke in a bottle at a loss of 5 cents each time. Cost me $1.50 each bottle . I do have some Dr Pepper stuff only because I got some while in Texas of the early days when they used a clock design.

Well, who can't love Classic Pop mag? That's mere common sense
I loved this magazine since it started and never got the first issue until Mickey C here sold me the first copy with PSB. So I have now a complete collection of Classic pop

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 24
Mikedepaz
December 31, 2016, 3:31pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from MikeyC

No comment, re: Starbucks.

I frequent "JOE", primarily the original location on Waverly Place.  

Some good places in Village but a bit overpriced

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 24
Tin Soldier
January 1, 2017, 6:12am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Mikedepaz
This has been really my ongoing passion since 8 and never stopped- my collection now is pretty complete from 1847-2016 with only couple of high priced never to acquire items that run into millions. This is my first taste of graphic design I got in miniature. I started in 1974 with a Bicentential series and never looked back. I will say that the worse period in design was the late 70's through 90s  . That was a time when I saw traditional was of the past losing its way to simplistic art and printing I hated. It eventually got better after that when the new advisory committee took over.

Sounds like the polar opposite of my position. Are we stamp enemies now?

To clarify, I had meant the commemoratives (that were issued as definitives - panes, coils, etc) of Americans that were popular through the 80s into the 90's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Americans_series

They just seemed elegant to me. The same with the definitives of vehicles printed the same way ("transportation coils" mentioned above, but not always coils).

I guess you're nobody until you have a stamp enemy. That's one thing scratched off the bucket list.  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 24
Mikedepaz
January 1, 2017, 1:53pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Sounds like the polar opposite of my position. Are we stamp enemies now?

To clarify, I had meant the commemoratives (that were issued as definitives - panes, coils, etc) of Americans that were popular through the 80s into the 90's:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Americans_series

They just seemed elegant to me. The same with the definitives of vehicles printed the same way ("transportation coils" mentioned above, but not always coils).
I guess you're nobody until you have a stamp enemy. That's one thing scratched off the bucket list.  

Well put it back on the bucket list because I thought you were just talking about commemoratives. I love both transportation and Great American series but that falls under the definitive program. Great long collection it got better in  late90's and '00 and recently changed to distinguished Americans with a format I don't like too much. Transportation ended in mid 90's

On this period commemorative were too stylized graphics and always bold colors which sort of looked generic and too many of one kind. It's improved a lot after many complained.

It's too bad we didn't meet up for the World Show that happens every 10 years and it was held last May at Javits.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Stamp_Show-NY_2016

It was fun time to see stuff from all over the world

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 24
Tin Soldier
January 1, 2017, 8:53pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Ahhh, that's why you were in town then? I thought you were her to stalk Vince.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 24
Mikedepaz
January 1, 2017, 10:56pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Well I did try to see him to get a birthday card signed for Pughie but he was out on vacation on Memorial Day, so it was onthe agenda

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 24
Tin Soldier
January 2, 2017, 3:56am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Argh, more guilt on my part for missing your visit!  

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 12 - 24
Mikedepaz
January 2, 2017, 5:06am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
The next show is in 2026, will you be around?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 24
Pughie
January 2, 2017, 6:23pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
158 days 18 hours 10 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Well I did try to see him to get a birthday card signed for Pughie but he was out on vacation on Memorial Day, so it was onthe agenda

………. and here it is

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 24
2 Pages 1 2 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Non-Erasure Chat  ›  When Worlds Collide!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Thread Tags