Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
version of Loveboat with best audio quality
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Loveboat (2000)  ›  version of Loveboat with best audio quality
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

version of Loveboat with best audio quality  This thread currently has 1,541 views. Print
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
mr first
February 13, 2018, 8:45am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 21 hours 50 minutes
Perchance to dream and mad as we are two of the most beautiful songs in the erasure back catalogue
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 27
Mikedepaz
February 13, 2018, 1:24pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
27 days 8 hours 56 minutes
Not to add fuel to the fire but I feel the same way about Love You To The Sky on WBG. Odd tracks that just don't belong on the album

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 27
glazball
February 13, 2018, 2:40pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 12 hours
Pure speculation, but around the time of Loveboat's release, Vince was doing a lot of work with 3D soundscapes and whatnot.  I have a feeling that Loveboat was perhaps made and mixed in multi-channel, which probably sounded great in Vince's studio, but when it was mixed down to stereo for CD/vinyl release, it wasn't done correctly - hence, the muddy, soupy, bass-heavy Loveboat album we all know and love.  It's just a guess on my part.

If you have ever taken a multi-channel/surround sound source and forced it through, say, a pair of headphones - you can tell that it is muddy and doesn't sound right.  I just refuse to believe that Loveboat is *supposed* to sound like it does.  My hope is that one day, when the album gets its eventual special edition re-release, that it will either be correctly mastered or completely remastered and included as a second disc (so purists can still have the original release as the first disc).

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 27
Tin Soldier
February 13, 2018, 4:14pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 8 hours 12 minutes
I'd love if David Wrench had a crack at it.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 18 - 27
mr first
February 13, 2018, 8:15pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 21 hours 50 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Not to add fuel to the fire but I feel the same way about Love You To The Sky on WBG. Odd tracks that just don't belong on the album

I'm the same with just a little love
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 27
MikeyC
February 14, 2018, 12:19am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 6 hours 12 minutes
Quoted from glazball
Pure speculation, but around the time of Loveboat's release, Vince was doing a lot of work with 3D soundscapes and whatnot.  I have a feeling that Loveboat was perhaps made and mixed in multi-channel, which probably sounded great in Vince's studio, but when it was mixed down to stereo for CD/vinyl release, it wasn't done correctly - hence, the muddy, soupy, bass-heavy Loveboat album we all know and love.  It's just a guess on my part.

If you have ever taken a multi-channel/surround sound source and forced it through, say, a pair of headphones - you can tell that it is muddy and doesn't sound right.  I just refuse to believe that Loveboat is *supposed* to sound like it does.  My hope is that one day, when the album gets its eventual special edition re-release, that it will either be correctly mastered or completely remastered and included as a second disc (so purists can still have the original release as the first disc).

Good points but when they (the band, Mute) would've finally heard the CD/vinyl release, they would've acknowledged the issue and order a new, corrected pressing. Don't you think?  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 27
Gareth Pugh
February 14, 2018, 6:31am Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 17 hours 32 minutes
Quoted from mr first
Perchance to dream and mad as we are two of the most beautiful songs in the erasure back catalogue

And I feel exactly the same about Love is the Rage and Surreal (one of their best album- ending songs ever IMHO)
For me, despite the production and mixing choices made, it’s a much much stronger set of songs than Cowboy, which Iwas a bit disappointed by (shiny, but empty by-numbers ‘feelgood’ tunes in places, like a musical forced smile).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 27
DaveKCMO
February 15, 2018, 2:07am Report to Moderator

Power. Generation.
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
92 days 7 hours 41 minutes
The minidisc version is on its way, so I'll let you know about that one. I do love this on the UK CD and the original UK vinyl. Does anyone have the UK cassette version? I find that Mute's UK cassettes weren't all that great, but the US versions were amazing (of course Loveboat was not released on US cassette).
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 27
Tin Soldier
February 15, 2018, 3:53am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from DaveKCMO
I find that Mute's UK cassettes weren't all that great, but the US versions were amazing...

Hmm, I have found the opposite to generally be true when it came to European vs US cassette dubbing. I rarely had to adjust head azimuth (when using a deck that had the option) on them vs American cassettes. I found this true of Canadian vs USA on average as well.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 23 - 27
Mikedepaz
February 15, 2018, 1:19pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
27 days 8 hours 56 minutes
They still make cassettes today but not any good decks to buy

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 27
Tin Soldier
February 15, 2018, 6:19pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Mikedepaz
They still make cassettes today but not any good decks to buy

No, and the aftermarket is a mixed bag as most good ones have been serviced - to what degree, and by whom is not always known.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 25 - 27
dcd747
February 21, 2018, 6:53pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 hours 2 minutes
I have the UK cassette but I can't say that I've ever listened to it.  And these days, I don't have a means of listening to cassettes.  Doesn't stop me from buying them for my collection, though.    Much like the Mini-Disc I bought for Pop!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 27
ben
August 9, 2018, 7:06pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
20 days 6 hours 56 minutes
I was a bit bored tonight and listened to loads of Erasure, after all these years I still love this album. Tonight I streamed it via Apple Music through HomePod, it sounds amazing. The warmth of the sound is just incredible on this album.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 27
2 Pages « 1 2 All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Loveboat (2000)  ›  version of Loveboat with best audio quality

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread