Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Happy Birthday Cowboy!  This thread currently has 3,054 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
jellopez
March 31, 2015, 4:52pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 hours 20 minutes
Cowboy was released 18 years ago today in the UK!

https://twitter.com/SeventhTony/status/582902156946202624
Logged Offline
Private Message
chemicalboy
March 31, 2015, 7:08pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
25 days 10 hours 52 minutes
Dear god I'm getting old.......
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 1, 2015, 2:08am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
25 days 20 hours 50 minutes
I love that tour, shame no video to remember by except YouTube clips

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 2 - 32
mr.m
April 1, 2015, 2:26am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 23 hours 27 minutes
One of the best albums ever made, by any artist.

The morning after nights before I have tried
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 32
Onge
April 1, 2015, 12:19pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 10 hours 30 minutes
Quoted from mr.m
One of the best albums ever made, by any artist.

Not one of - THE best album ever made, by any artist!

Today marks 18 years since I first heard it - I was then to play the album multiple times a day for 9 solid months. To put this into context - I NEVER normally listen to anything on repeat or several times a day. That's how good the album is. Although now I listen to it very, very rarely - it's a delightful treat that needs to be saved and savoured for special occasions!    

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 32
skery
April 1, 2015, 7:21pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
16 days 21 hours 56 minutes
really best album by any artist?

its not even close to Erasure's best album!!!  not for me anyway.. that honor clearly goes to Erasure, followed closely by Chorus and love boat

don't know why, cowboy had an amazing tour, but never dug the album much.  Its no different to me than LATEOW, Nightbird, OPS, good, but nothing stands out...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 4, 2015, 3:20pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
21 days 9 hours 27 minutes
I'm chuckling here over the strife of which Erasure album is best. If only that were the only conflict in the world, we'd be very lucky.

Quoted from Onge
...I was then to play the album multiple times a day for 9 solid months. To put this into context - I NEVER normally listen to anything on repeat or several times a day. That's how good the album is.

I hope I'm not alone in that I listen to every Erasure album this way for the first few months. I think we're both among the old lot that judge an album as a presentation unto itself; thematically, as well as an anthology and arrangement. I actually need to almost be sick of hearing it in that manner to make a final judgement on it as a whole.

As for placement, I have to place The Innocents, The Circus, ISISIS, and Chorus ahead of it. That said, it works perfectly as an album.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 4, 2015, 11:26pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Cowboy was great in that after the Erasure album with extended interludes, I wasnt sure what direction the new album would take upon hearing In My Arms for the first time. I was happy to see them get back to 3 minute pop again. But the tour blew me away as I thought they would never revisit high production type shows. Vince in a Cactus suit still is engraved in my head.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 7 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 5, 2015, 3:55am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
That tour was more of a circus than...well, you know which tour.

I was waiting for an explosion when Vince's beer would tip over into the synth rack while he climbed the scaffolding. I think that was the last I saw of "Death-defying Vince". Still need that action figure, by the way...

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 5, 2015, 11:33am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
The campaign started great both in UK and new label Maverick in US. But it ran out of steam by the third single at the height of the touring. Rain was released way too late in 1998 as a dreadful EP and America they bypassed Rain for Magic Moments of all choices. by then, it just ended and Erasure continued on a long tour of the world going to Africa and Asia

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 9 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 5, 2015, 6:26pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I'm hard-pressed to disparage Magic Moments. I loved that, and had actually looked forward to a commercial release (that it had full art for a promo in the 90's did seem to indicate it was headed that way).

The sad fact was that whatever the label was, as long as Warner Bros was the parent, the promotion wasn't really going to start anew with a new label compared to moving to EMI or BMG. I felt, despite some early upkick, Maverick was really still resting on the laurels of Sire's past marketing and promotion. By this time, I think Mute (UK) also knuckled under a bit with Maverick, and they were more influenced in decision making rather than the other way 'round.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 32
MikeyC
April 5, 2015, 6:51pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 21 hours 35 minutes
The tour was indeed incredible, from the re-worked arrangements to the explosion of glitter at the start of "Rain"!

And the album has several "underrated gems" like 'Treasure' and 'How Can I Say'!

It was a great back-to-basics pop moment after the raw intensity of the self-titled album.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 6, 2015, 1:41am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier
I'm hard-pressed to disparage Magic Moments. I loved that, and had actually looked forward to a commercial release (that it had full art for a promo in the 90's did seem to indicate it was headed that way).

The sad fact was that whatever the label was, as long as Warner Bros was the parent, the promotion wasn't really going to start anew with a new label compared to moving to EMI or BMG. I felt, despite some early upkick, Maverick was really still resting on the laurels of Sire's past marketing and promotion. By this time, I think Mute (UK) also knuckled under a bit with Maverick, and they were more influenced in decision making rather than the other way 'round.

Well on this we are polar opposite in views. magic Moments was a cute B-side/ bonus track in US release. a Perry Como cover from the 50's would never be played at the time on US radio. after 2 soild club play hits- they could have opted for a more reliable mixed Rain or even Treasure.

maverick went counter to anything Sire or Elektra ever did. they did not use any of Mute art submitted for Cowboy album or the singles, they did not use the video submitted by Mute for In My Arms but did an elaborate produced video far better than the live video Mute opted. Both In My Arms and DSYLIKM got exclusive double promo 12" with exclusive mixes and exclusive art. maverick also added two bonus track to the commercial release. They also did mega billboards in major markets. They had Vince and Andy do exclusive promo acoustic shows in major markets ending with both riding horses through downtown SF. Apart from the Magic Moment and Cowboy Tour Video filming fiascos, Maverick took Erasure promotion to a level Sire or Elektra never did or Mute itself has. I knew the Maverick Southeast promoter/ rep at the time and it was a non-stop promo festival. I honestly felt like I was seeing Erasure everywhere and the Tourwas phenomenal sold out must see event- I saw 12 shows in 12 cities!

sadly Maverick did not like Loveboat and thus ended all WEA connections in North America but I think they did not want to devote the same resources they did with Cowboy was what my local promoter said. it was better not to even try.

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 12 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 6, 2015, 7:18am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Oh, not polar opposites, no. I didn't mean to give the impression that I felt MM was "the" song from the album, but it did have a kitschy quality that I could see do fairly well for a 3rd/4th single here in the US vs the UK. I think someone thought the same, although at the cost of some other gems.

As for the other examples you cite in great detail, that was essentially the early upkick I meant (albeit, I very concisely put ). It just didn't play out over time. What was an initial push as a potential new artist really fell back to the status quo before, and I think that was in part due to lesser regional WEA reps who wrote them off as before. Like yourself, I would speak to the occasional rep (when a promo didn't come from once source, you call another...even Ms Hurley. ) and got the impression from a few they were considered to be old hat like before. I just think that might not have happened as quickly with a whole new company vs a new label under one.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 13 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 6, 2015, 12:34pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
There was still a lot of buzz by the end of DSYLIKM and then it became a doomed project. I was told they werE waiting to see what Mute UK was going to do but then silence for months and they opted for Magic Moments. so Mute UK had at this point lost direction as well

I still feel Maverick did more than any time they were on any WEA label and Mute label to this point. That it flamed out in the end was rather unfortunate.

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 14 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 6, 2015, 12:34pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
There was still a lot of buzz by the end of DSYLIKM and then it became a doomed project. I was told they werE waiting to see what Mute UK was going to do but then silence for months and they opted for Magic Moments. so Mute UK had at this point lost direction as well

I still feel Maverick did more than any time they were on any WEA label and Mute label to this point. That it flamed out in the end was rather unfortunate.

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 15 - 32
Gareth Pugh
April 6, 2015, 2:32pm Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 10 hours 20 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz

I do remember here in the UK that Mute seemed to be taking forever to get the Rain single out, I think the EIS had mentioned it was coming by about June/July and it was originally scheduled for late Summer but then it all went quiet and we eventually got Rain Plus on CD and double-12",  which was deliberately structured and track-listed to make it chart-ineligible so it would go under the radar and not score an (e.g.) number 38 'hit'. This way, they could keep the claim of 'unbroken run of Top 25 singles' alive. They did much the same with the oft-delayed Moon and the Sky EP four years later. Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad we got those releases, but a bit more decisive action in the Summer of '97 on Cowboy's 3rd single might have helped matters a bit more...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 7, 2015, 2:28am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Yes the Mute delay killed the momentum on both sides of the Atlantic. In all honesty I don't think Mute UK had a clue how to launch and promote this record. Maverick really did a lot more and it really charted well over here.

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 17 - 32
Erasured
April 13, 2015, 1:19pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 2 hours 4 minutes
"The way you stir your coffee, like an angel in the morning"  class lyrics
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 32
mr first
April 1, 2017, 10:36am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 18 hours 24 minutes
Happy birthday cowboy for yesterday IMO the finest erasure album of all time 20 years old where the hell is my life going seems like yesterday I saw the cowboy concerts at the NEC when Andy had to apologize to Vince for swearing cos he was sweating that much `I look like a f****ing milkmaid, sorry Vince` happy memories
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 1, 2017, 10:08pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Awesome tour indeed. Vince in a cactus suit was priceless

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 20 - 32
MikeyC
April 2, 2017, 12:18am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Regarding the tour: I still get chills when thinking about (or seeing on Youtube) the intro/start of "Rain" with the explosion of glitter!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 32
Pat.2000
April 2, 2017, 12:28pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 14 hours 37 minutes
I loved Cowboy for years afterwards, as in I used to play it many times over when I was intended to play it just once....still do sometimes

Video for DSYLIKM is just brilliant.

Went alone to Wembley to see this, last minute decision at 6.30pm that evening. Got a tout for 25 quid. The shows were a bit odd as in Vince just sat up a climbing frame, great otherwise

Heaven 17 were good too.

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED 27/3/18

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 2, 2017, 12:58pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from MikeyC
Regarding the tour: I still get chills when thinking about (or seeing on Youtube) the intro/start of "Rain" with the explosion of glitter!!  

Sadly that is all that is left from the Maverick video blunder

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 23 - 32
Pat.2000
April 2, 2017, 5:05pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 14 hours 37 minutes
What was the idea of a US version of In MY Arms and that strange middle 8 section?

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED 27/3/18

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 32
MikeyC
April 2, 2017, 5:14pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Mikedepaz

Sadly that is all that is left from the Maverick video blunder

While not good quality, I watch the entire Cowboy Tour concerts all the time on YouTube; Chicago is up, I think Radio City from NYC, and another city. At least we hear great arrangements specific to this tour!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 2, 2017, 7:20pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pat.2000
What was the idea of a US version of In MY Arms and that strange middle 8 section?

From what was told in the that time was they wanted less Vincetramental and more Andy. Vince was none to happy ofwhat Maverick was doing but kept quiet since Maverick was dumping money into marketing and a reworked video and multiple promo mixes as well.

It was weird time because they had a short relationship with Elektra before and only lasted one record with Maverick. It's funny but Erasure outlasted both those labels

Logged Online
Private Message Reply: 26 - 32
mr first
April 2, 2017, 7:35pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 18 hours 24 minutes
Were erasure more popular in the US when maverick signed them or were they just as popular as they are now
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 3, 2017, 5:33am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
More. While they took a "hit" with the eponymous album, compared to ISISIS, at the time Erasure still had airplay on radio; even if older tracks.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 28 - 32
TheDude
June 15, 2017, 11:40pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
4 hours 27 minutes
20 years on now, and I've been listening to Cowboy a lot late. Such fond memories of this time - I was 15 years old, having just discovered Erasure a year prior.

Interesting point about Erasure's US popularity at the time. Having been young at that point, I hand't listened to terrestrial radio much, but remember our local alternative station, Q101 in Chicago, play 'In My Arms' along side smashing pumpkins and offspring. Looking back, that's extremely surreal and weird.

Now, I think - is this the last time Erasure had been picked up by major radio stations? At least in Chicago, the only other time I heard a new Erasure track was 'Breathe' in the clubs and once on our local late night dance radio station. Since then, nothing. Then again, I'm not sure a lot of people still listen to terrestrial radio; I sure as hell don't.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 32
DAJ
June 16, 2017, 6:09pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 20 hours 32 minutes
Maverick was not going to release "In My Arms" as a commercial single--record companies were abandoning singles at the time.  "In My Arms" got a lot of airplay, but Billboard did not allow releases to chart if they didn't have a physical format--so they eventually released it and it came in at #55, then gradually fell down the chart.  It was their last US single to get Top 40 commercial airplay.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 32
Big Al
June 17, 2017, 12:03am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
17 days 18 hours 27 minutes
I'm pretty sure someone was asking for this a while ago, but without trawling through lots of threads...the US Radio Mix of DSYLIKM including the 'discarded' lines from the second verse and an erased Vince middle eight has popped up on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IVOXWYZ_Ick&feature=share
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 31 - 32
Tin Soldier
June 17, 2017, 9:50am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from TheDude
At least in Chicago, the only other time I heard a new Erasure track was 'Breathe' in the clubs and once on our local late night dance radio station. Since then, nothing.

Have to say that's true of my NY radio memories as well.

Quoted from DAJ
Maverick was not going to release "In My Arms" as a commercial single--record companies were abandoning singles at the time.  "In My Arms" got a lot of airplay, but Billboard did not allow releases to chart if they didn't have a physical format--so they eventually released it and it came in at #55, then gradually fell down the chart.  It was their last US single to get Top 40 commercial airplay.

For a label who you say had no intentions of releasing it as single, they sure did a 180┬░.

In My Arms had an American 7"/12"/Cassingle/CD5" Single and CD5" Maxi release! That latter disparity was not only unique, but appeared indicative of Maverick embracing the single format...at least for a time. There fact is, IMA is the ONLY standard CD single ever released for Erasure in the USA (excepting the "BackTraxx" Old Gold-type reissue of COL/ALR). That was an about-face to years of Sire and Elektra bundling tracks for Maxi CD5"s alone.

Really, WEA-distributed-label standard CD singles were unheard of outside of promos and BackTraxx. The format really died in in the US when they failed to introduce the CD3" successfully after Japan succeeded with them. While DM and other artists did have some CD3"s issued in the US, there was never one for Erasure stateside. No, no non-maxi CD single had ever been released until IMA as a 5" CD, and Maverick still issued a Maxi CD5" alongside it. They certainly weren't avoiding commitment here! Hell, it hadn't been since Sire that a promo-only issue of a proposed single was made, and they went and did that with Magic Moments too.

That said, it was short and sweet. DSYLIKM only had a 12"/CD5" Maxi US commercial release. No 7", nor standard CD single, and no cassingle, leaving IMA the last American 7" and cassingle ever made. The end of an era.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 32 - 32
3 Pages 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread