Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Happy Birthday Cowboy!  This thread currently has 3,253 views. Print
3 Pages « 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
DAJ
June 16, 2017, 6:09pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 3 hours 49 minutes
Maverick was not going to release "In My Arms" as a commercial single--record companies were abandoning singles at the time.  "In My Arms" got a lot of airplay, but Billboard did not allow releases to chart if they didn't have a physical format--so they eventually released it and it came in at #55, then gradually fell down the chart.  It was their last US single to get Top 40 commercial airplay.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 30 - 32
Big Al
June 17, 2017, 12:03am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
21 days 23 hours 8 minutes
I'm pretty sure someone was asking for this a while ago, but without trawling through lots of threads...the US Radio Mix of DSYLIKM including the 'discarded' lines from the second verse and an erased Vince middle eight has popped up on YouTube
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IVOXWYZ_Ick&feature=share
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 31 - 32
Tin Soldier
June 17, 2017, 9:50am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 3 minutes
Quoted from TheDude
At least in Chicago, the only other time I heard a new Erasure track was 'Breathe' in the clubs and once on our local late night dance radio station. Since then, nothing.

Have to say that's true of my NY radio memories as well.

Quoted from DAJ
Maverick was not going to release "In My Arms" as a commercial single--record companies were abandoning singles at the time.  "In My Arms" got a lot of airplay, but Billboard did not allow releases to chart if they didn't have a physical format--so they eventually released it and it came in at #55, then gradually fell down the chart.  It was their last US single to get Top 40 commercial airplay.

For a label who you say had no intentions of releasing it as single, they sure did a 180°.

In My Arms had an American 7"/12"/Cassingle/CD5" Single and CD5" Maxi release! That latter disparity was not only unique, but appeared indicative of Maverick embracing the single format...at least for a time. There fact is, IMA is the ONLY standard CD single ever released for Erasure in the USA (excepting the "BackTraxx" Old Gold-type reissue of COL/ALR). That was an about-face to years of Sire and Elektra bundling tracks for Maxi CD5"s alone.

Really, WEA-distributed-label standard CD singles were unheard of outside of promos and BackTraxx. The format really died in in the US when they failed to introduce the CD3" successfully after Japan succeeded with them. While DM and other artists did have some CD3"s issued in the US, there was never one for Erasure stateside. No, no non-maxi CD single had ever been released until IMA as a 5" CD, and Maverick still issued a Maxi CD5" alongside it. They certainly weren't avoiding commitment here! Hell, it hadn't been since Sire that a promo-only issue of a proposed single was made, and they went and did that with Magic Moments too.

That said, it was short and sweet. DSYLIKM only had a 12"/CD5" Maxi US commercial release. No 7", nor standard CD single, and no cassingle, leaving IMA the last American 7" and cassingle ever made. The end of an era.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 32 - 32
3 Pages « 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread