Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Happy Birthday Cowboy!  This thread currently has 3,252 views. Print
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Mikedepaz
April 6, 2015, 12:34pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
27 days 3 hours 28 minutes
There was still a lot of buzz by the end of DSYLIKM and then it became a doomed project. I was told they werE waiting to see what Mute UK was going to do but then silence for months and they opted for Magic Moments. so Mute UK had at this point lost direction as well

I still feel Maverick did more than any time they were on any WEA label and Mute label to this point. That it flamed out in the end was rather unfortunate.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 15 - 32
Gareth Pugh
April 6, 2015, 2:32pm Report to Moderator
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
10 days 16 hours 40 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
There was still a lot of buzz by the end of DSYLIKM and then it became a doomed project. I was told they werE waiting to see what Mute UK was going to do but then silence for months and they opted for Magic Moments. so Mute UK had at this point lost direction as well

I still feel Maverick did more than any time they were on any WEA label and Mute label to this point. That it flamed out in the end was rather unfortunate.

I do remember here in the UK that Mute seemed to be taking forever to get the Rain single out, I think the EIS had mentioned it was coming by about June/July and it was originally scheduled for late Summer but then it all went quiet and we eventually got Rain Plus on CD and double-12",  which was deliberately structured and track-listed to make it chart-ineligible so it would go under the radar and not score an (e.g.) number 38 'hit'. This way, they could keep the claim of 'unbroken run of Top 25 singles' alive. They did much the same with the oft-delayed Moon and the Sky EP four years later. Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad we got those releases, but a bit more decisive action in the Summer of '97 on Cowboy's 3rd single might have helped matters a bit more...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 16 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 7, 2015, 2:28am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Yes the Mute delay killed the momentum on both sides of the Atlantic. In all honesty I don't think Mute UK had a clue how to launch and promote this record. Maverick really did a lot more and it really charted well over here.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 17 - 32
Erasured
April 13, 2015, 1:19pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 2 hours 4 minutes
"The way you stir your coffee, like an angel in the morning"  class lyrics
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 18 - 32
mr first
April 1, 2017, 10:36am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 20 hours 8 minutes
Happy birthday cowboy for yesterday IMO the finest erasure album of all time 20 years old where the hell is my life going seems like yesterday I saw the cowboy concerts at the NEC when Andy had to apologize to Vince for swearing cos he was sweating that much `I look like a f****ing milkmaid, sorry Vince` happy memories
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 19 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 1, 2017, 10:08pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Awesome tour indeed. Vince in a cactus suit was priceless

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 20 - 32
MikeyC
April 2, 2017, 12:18am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 4 hours 6 minutes
Regarding the tour: I still get chills when thinking about (or seeing on Youtube) the intro/start of "Rain" with the explosion of glitter!!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 21 - 32
Pat.2000
April 2, 2017, 12:28pm Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 19 hours 52 minutes
I loved Cowboy for years afterwards, as in I used to play it many times over when I was intended to play it just once....still do sometimes

Video for DSYLIKM is just brilliant.

Went alone to Wembley to see this, last minute decision at 6.30pm that evening. Got a tout for 25 quid. The shows were a bit odd as in Vince just sat up a climbing frame, great otherwise

Heaven 17 were good too.

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 22 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 2, 2017, 12:58pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from MikeyC
Regarding the tour: I still get chills when thinking about (or seeing on Youtube) the intro/start of "Rain" with the explosion of glitter!!  

Sadly that is all that is left from the Maverick video blunder

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 23 - 32
Pat.2000
April 2, 2017, 5:05pm Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 19 hours 52 minutes
What was the idea of a US version of In MY Arms and that strange middle 8 section?

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 24 - 32
MikeyC
April 2, 2017, 5:14pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 4 hours 6 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz

Sadly that is all that is left from the Maverick video blunder

While not good quality, I watch the entire Cowboy Tour concerts all the time on YouTube; Chicago is up, I think Radio City from NYC, and another city. At least we hear great arrangements specific to this tour!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 25 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 2, 2017, 7:20pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pat.2000
What was the idea of a US version of In MY Arms and that strange middle 8 section?

From what was told in the that time was they wanted less Vincetramental and more Andy. Vince was none to happy ofwhat Maverick was doing but kept quiet since Maverick was dumping money into marketing and a reworked video and multiple promo mixes as well.

It was weird time because they had a short relationship with Elektra before and only lasted one record with Maverick. It's funny but Erasure outlasted both those labels

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 26 - 32
mr first
April 2, 2017, 7:35pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 20 hours 8 minutes
Were erasure more popular in the US when maverick signed them or were they just as popular as they are now
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 27 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 3, 2017, 5:33am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 3 minutes
More. While they took a "hit" with the eponymous album, compared to ISISIS, at the time Erasure still had airplay on radio; even if older tracks.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 28 - 32
TheDude
June 15, 2017, 11:40pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
4 hours 27 minutes
20 years on now, and I've been listening to Cowboy a lot late. Such fond memories of this time - I was 15 years old, having just discovered Erasure a year prior.

Interesting point about Erasure's US popularity at the time. Having been young at that point, I hand't listened to terrestrial radio much, but remember our local alternative station, Q101 in Chicago, play 'In My Arms' along side smashing pumpkins and offspring. Looking back, that's extremely surreal and weird.

Now, I think - is this the last time Erasure had been picked up by major radio stations? At least in Chicago, the only other time I heard a new Erasure track was 'Breathe' in the clubs and once on our local late night dance radio station. Since then, nothing. Then again, I'm not sure a lot of people still listen to terrestrial radio; I sure as hell don't.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 29 - 32
3 Pages « 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread