Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Happy Birthday Cowboy!  This thread currently has 2,669 views. Print
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
jellopez
March 31, 2015, 4:52pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 hours 20 minutes
Cowboy was released 18 years ago today in the UK!

https://twitter.com/SeventhTony/status/582902156946202624
Logged Offline
Private Message
chemicalboy
March 31, 2015, 7:08pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
24 days 4 hours 21 minutes
Dear god I'm getting old.......
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 1, 2015, 2:08am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
22 days 13 hours 12 minutes
I love that tour, shame no video to remember by except YouTube clips

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 32
mr.m
April 1, 2015, 2:26am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 days 23 hours 5 minutes
One of the best albums ever made, by any artist.

The morning after nights before I have tried
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 32
Onge
April 1, 2015, 12:19pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 10 hours
Quoted from mr.m
One of the best albums ever made, by any artist.

Not one of - THE best album ever made, by any artist!

Today marks 18 years since I first heard it - I was then to play the album multiple times a day for 9 solid months. To put this into context - I NEVER normally listen to anything on repeat or several times a day. That's how good the album is. Although now I listen to it very, very rarely - it's a delightful treat that needs to be saved and savoured for special occasions!    

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 32
skery
April 1, 2015, 7:21pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
16 days 18 hours 50 minutes
really best album by any artist?

its not even close to Erasure's best album!!!  not for me anyway.. that honor clearly goes to Erasure, followed closely by Chorus and love boat

don't know why, cowboy had an amazing tour, but never dug the album much.  Its no different to me than LATEOW, Nightbird, OPS, good, but nothing stands out...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 4, 2015, 3:20pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
15 days 22 hours 30 minutes
I'm chuckling here over the strife of which Erasure album is best. If only that were the only conflict in the world, we'd be very lucky.

Quoted from Onge
...I was then to play the album multiple times a day for 9 solid months. To put this into context - I NEVER normally listen to anything on repeat or several times a day. That's how good the album is.

I hope I'm not alone in that I listen to every Erasure album this way for the first few months. I think we're both among the old lot that judge an album as a presentation unto itself; thematically, as well as an anthology and arrangement. I actually need to almost be sick of hearing it in that manner to make a final judgement on it as a whole.

As for placement, I have to place The Innocents, The Circus, ISISIS, and Chorus ahead of it. That said, it works perfectly as an album.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 6 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 4, 2015, 11:26pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Cowboy was great in that after the Erasure album with extended interludes, I wasnt sure what direction the new album would take upon hearing In My Arms for the first time. I was happy to see them get back to 3 minute pop again. But the tour blew me away as I thought they would never revisit high production type shows. Vince in a Cactus suit still is engraved in my head.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 5, 2015, 3:55am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
That tour was more of a circus than...well, you know which tour.

I was waiting for an explosion when Vince's beer would tip over into the synth rack while he climbed the scaffolding. I think that was the last I saw of "Death-defying Vince". Still need that action figure, by the way...

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 8 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 5, 2015, 11:33am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
The campaign started great both in UK and new label Maverick in US. But it ran out of steam by the third single at the height of the touring. Rain was released way too late in 1998 as a dreadful EP and America they bypassed Rain for Magic Moments of all choices. by then, it just ended and Erasure continued on a long tour of the world going to Africa and Asia

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 5, 2015, 6:26pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I'm hard-pressed to disparage Magic Moments. I loved that, and had actually looked forward to a commercial release (that it had full art for a promo in the 90's did seem to indicate it was headed that way).

The sad fact was that whatever the label was, as long as Warner Bros was the parent, the promotion wasn't really going to start anew with a new label compared to moving to EMI or BMG. I felt, despite some early upkick, Maverick was really still resting on the laurels of Sire's past marketing and promotion. By this time, I think Mute (UK) also knuckled under a bit with Maverick, and they were more influenced in decision making rather than the other way 'round.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 32
MikeyC
April 5, 2015, 6:51pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 2 hours 10 minutes
The tour was indeed incredible, from the re-worked arrangements to the explosion of glitter at the start of "Rain"!

And the album has several "underrated gems" like 'Treasure' and 'How Can I Say'!

It was a great back-to-basics pop moment after the raw intensity of the self-titled album.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 6, 2015, 1:41am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier
I'm hard-pressed to disparage Magic Moments. I loved that, and had actually looked forward to a commercial release (that it had full art for a promo in the 90's did seem to indicate it was headed that way).

The sad fact was that whatever the label was, as long as Warner Bros was the parent, the promotion wasn't really going to start anew with a new label compared to moving to EMI or BMG. I felt, despite some early upkick, Maverick was really still resting on the laurels of Sire's past marketing and promotion. By this time, I think Mute (UK) also knuckled under a bit with Maverick, and they were more influenced in decision making rather than the other way 'round.

Well on this we are polar opposite in views. magic Moments was a cute B-side/ bonus track in US release. a Perry Como cover from the 50's would never be played at the time on US radio. after 2 soild club play hits- they could have opted for a more reliable mixed Rain or even Treasure.

maverick went counter to anything Sire or Elektra ever did. they did not use any of Mute art submitted for Cowboy album or the singles, they did not use the video submitted by Mute for In My Arms but did an elaborate produced video far better than the live video Mute opted. Both In My Arms and DSYLIKM got exclusive double promo 12" with exclusive mixes and exclusive art. maverick also added two bonus track to the commercial release. They also did mega billboards in major markets. They had Vince and Andy do exclusive promo acoustic shows in major markets ending with both riding horses through downtown SF. Apart from the Magic Moment and Cowboy Tour Video filming fiascos, Maverick took Erasure promotion to a level Sire or Elektra never did or Mute itself has. I knew the Maverick Southeast promoter/ rep at the time and it was a non-stop promo festival. I honestly felt like I was seeing Erasure everywhere and the Tourwas phenomenal sold out must see event- I saw 12 shows in 12 cities!

sadly Maverick did not like Loveboat and thus ended all WEA connections in North America but I think they did not want to devote the same resources they did with Cowboy was what my local promoter said. it was better not to even try.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 32
Tin Soldier
April 6, 2015, 7:18am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Oh, not polar opposites, no. I didn't mean to give the impression that I felt MM was "the" song from the album, but it did have a kitschy quality that I could see do fairly well for a 3rd/4th single here in the US vs the UK. I think someone thought the same, although at the cost of some other gems.

As for the other examples you cite in great detail, that was essentially the early upkick I meant (albeit, I very concisely put ). It just didn't play out over time. What was an initial push as a potential new artist really fell back to the status quo before, and I think that was in part due to lesser regional WEA reps who wrote them off as before. Like yourself, I would speak to the occasional rep (when a promo didn't come from once source, you call another...even Ms Hurley. ) and got the impression from a few they were considered to be old hat like before. I just think that might not have happened as quickly with a whole new company vs a new label under one.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 13 - 32
Mikedepaz
April 6, 2015, 12:34pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
There was still a lot of buzz by the end of DSYLIKM and then it became a doomed project. I was told they werE waiting to see what Mute UK was going to do but then silence for months and they opted for Magic Moments. so Mute UK had at this point lost direction as well

I still feel Maverick did more than any time they were on any WEA label and Mute label to this point. That it flamed out in the end was rather unfortunate.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 32
3 Pages 1 2 3 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Cowboy (1997)  ›  Happy Birthday Cowboy!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread