Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Your three wishes for the Erasure future
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    The Future Album (20**)  ›   Your three wishes for the Erasure future
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

Your three wishes for the Erasure future  This thread currently has 9,896 views. Print
8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » All Recommend Thread
glazball
June 1, 2017, 8:47pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 23 hours 19 minutes
If you have heard or get a chance to hear the bootleg Phantom Bride/Innocents Tour that came in the leather sleeve, all the electronics drop out on WNLLT but they didn't stop the performance.  Through most of the song, all you hear is Andy, the backup singers and Vince's guitar.  Actually, it's a pretty cool unintended acoustic version but I can see why Vince moved away from that setup.

I even have Andy's remark after the breakdown memorized:  "That's what happens when you're using live sequencers on stage, and you're not using tape if you know what I mean.  We'll see if techno wizard Vince Clarke can get it sorted out for us..."

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 75 - 118
mr first
June 1, 2017, 9:29pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 23 hours 40 minutes
Quoted from glazball
If you have heard or get a chance to hear the bootleg Phantom Bride/Innocents Tour that came in the leather sleeve, all the electronics drop out on WNLLT but they didn't stop the performance.  Through most of the song, all you hear is Andy, the backup singers and Vince's guitar.  Actually, it's a pretty cool unintended acoustic version but I can see why Vince moved away from that setup.

I even have Andy's remark after the breakdown memorized:  "That's what happens when you're using live sequencers on stage, and you're not using tape if you know what I mean.  We'll see if techno wizard Vince Clarke can get it sorted out for us..."

I went to the erasure show at Manchester Apollo in 2005 and the same happened when they were performing ship of fools the computer crashed and Vince was just left playing guitar and andy and the two backing singers carry on
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 76 - 118
AdamGrossmanLG
June 2, 2017, 12:03am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 23 hours 3 minutes
Quoted from glazball

i would love to hear this.  any chance its on youtube?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 77 - 118
Tin Soldier
June 2, 2017, 12:40am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
57 days 21 hours 10 minutes
Quoted from Nils
Andy's untampered vocals...

So, my copy of WBG was tampered with?  Do I need to call the police?

Quoted from AdamGrossmanLG

he can play... he likes to say he can't play good, but oh he can.  Watch some of the early live Yazoo clips.... even if its playback... he's playing the fast riffs perfectly on "Don't Go" and "Situation".

He also played very fast lines with Depeche in 1981.  

You also don't think he types in EVERY note on Erasure albums, right?  Would take 10 years to make an album.  He is playing a lot of it.... I think maybe he's just scared to mess up??

Like I said, I have grown OK with it, but the first time i saw them in 2003, I did feel a bit gyped.

Well, thanks for admitting that you expect a performance on par with the early 80s from a man who's now approaching his sixties.

Whether it's a "confidence issue" might come down to whether he feels confident he can still play as fast as he once did through an entire tour, or even gig. I have to say, I watched video from the last few gigs, and, at least once, I saw Vince stop playing and hold one hand with the other as if in discomfort (if not pain).

Now, God forbid he actually does have Carpal Tunnel or Arthritis, but even without such ailments, I doubt he has to undertake as much fingering at home as he on tour.* Still, I was at the recent Goldfrapp gigs, and even then, at least half of the keyboards were relegated to being MIDI triggers. He's not the only one to streamline some things.

I'd love to see Vince play as he did 30 years ago, but if we are accepting Andy's contemporary vocal range, why not Vince as he is?

*You have no clue how much I refrained from making a joke there.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 78 - 118
AdamGrossmanLG
June 2, 2017, 1:40am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Well, thanks for admitting that you expect a performance on par with the early 80s from a man who's now approaching his sixties.

Whether it's a "confidence issue" might come down to whether he feels confident he can still play as fast as he once did through an entire tour, or even gig. I have to say, I watched video from the last few gigs, and, at least once, I saw Vince stop playing and hold one hand with the other as if in discomfort (if not pain).

Now, God forbid he actually does have Carpal Tunnel or Arthritis, but even without such ailments, I doubt he has to undertake as much fingering at home as he on tour.* Still, I was at the recent Goldfrapp gigs, and even then, at least half of the keyboards were relegated to being MIDI triggers. He's not the only one to streamline some things.

I'd love to see Vince play as he did 30 years ago, but if we are accepting Andy's contemporary vocal range, why not Vince as he is?

*You have no clue how much I refrained from making a joke there.

Ummm... this is not anything new.  Rememeber 20 years ago... Cowboy tour?  He didn't even have a keyboard!  Sat there with a drink!  

Your point about him being in his 60s means nothing... oh and Elton is still playing piano at 70 without issue...

like i said, some of the parts CAN'T be played live... way to fast and intricate.  But I would expect main lead lines to be played live....    he does sometimes play strings... but you know how easy that is... he just holds down the root note of the chord with 1 finger.  

At a LIVE concert I would expect him to play the RIFFS live (think of the into riff of "All This Time Still Falling Out Of Love" or the top melody line to "Sacred").  Very easy parts, which he probably did play live in the studio.

Like I said, I love erasure shows now, but in 2003 at my first one, I was a little put off.  I come from the rock n roll world.... I was a 90s alternative rock kinda guy who got into electronic music in the late 90's.   I just assumed it would be just as live as when I would see rock bands (Oasis, Stones, Foo Fighters, etc...)

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 79 - 118
glazball
June 2, 2017, 4:02am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online

Like I said, I love erasure shows now, but in 2003 at my first one, I was a little put off.  I come from the rock n roll world.... I was a 90s alternative rock kinda guy who got into electronic music in the late 90's.   I just assumed it would be just as live as when I would see rock bands (Oasis, Stones, Foo Fighters, etc...)

Aw, we saw them in 03 at a smallish club in Houston and it's probably my favorite show of theirs.  Small but awesome crowd at time when they had lost a lot of popularity in the US and I/we weren't sure if they were going to be around much longer.

I see your point, but Vince has never been that kind of performer or Erasure that kind of stage show.  Vince always makes a point to explain they are not a "rock band" when compared to or lumped with Depeche Mode.  I remember Erasure was selected to perform on Saturday Night Live in the 90's but the show backed out after they decided the band didn't have enough stage presence (no drummer, etc).  It was a ridiculous excuse and a major letdown... Of course, bands like Oasis, Foo Fighters etc were what made the cut on 90's American tv.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 80 - 118
PolarPiano
June 2, 2017, 5:29am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 20 hours 18 minutes

Your point about him being in his 60s means nothing... oh and Elton is still playing piano at 70 without issue...

It does, if you are nearly 60 with arthritis in your fingers, do you really think you will play the keyboards without any problems? No, you won't. I have relatives in my family who are in their sixties, with arthritis and some of them wouldn't be able to type a long email on a normal computer keyboard... And if Elton is still playing, good on him...

like i said, some of the parts CAN'T be played live... way to fast and intricate.  But I would expect main lead lines to be played live....    he does sometimes play strings... but you know how easy that is... he just holds down the root note of the chord with 1 finger.  

And where is the issue?  Look at Depeche  Mode, look at Kraftwerk, Jarre etc. They all do the same, that's electronic music... Unless you get live musicians on stage (i.e. drummer, guitar player) electronic music will never be played live as in 'live'. That's not what electronic music is about. Take Kraftwerk as an example. They used to play the electronic drums live, then they got introduced to the sequencer in the 70's and everything changed.

At a LIVE concert I would expect him to play the RIFFS live (think of the into riff of "All This Time Still Falling Out Of Love" or the top melody line to "Sacred").  Very easy parts, which he probably did play live in the studio.

He is playing the guitar...

See, there is the issue right there. You really can't compare rock n roll, alternative rock and electronic music. They are completely different.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 81 - 118
Nils
June 2, 2017, 6:22am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 hours 5 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier

Better call Melodyne Squad directly

Quoted from Tin Soldier

No, I would just love to see him press play on the BBC micro instead of the MacBook

Anyway this thread is called "three wishes" and not "three expectations" but it's interesting to see that others are obviously fine with Vince's current setup and so he's probably doing the right thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 82 - 118
AdamGrossmanLG
June 2, 2017, 11:43am Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Your point about him being 60 is meaningless because he was not playing anything in 1997 when he was 40.  You keep going on about the age thing, but like I said.... that is moot because he never really played.

No those other bands are NOT the same.  Depeche Mode has a REAL talented keyboardist in the live band, Peter Gordeno.   I would say Fletch and Martin barely play anything other than strings (which is easy), but Peter Gordeno plays main riff lines and complex melodies.  

THAT IS LIVE!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 83 - 118
Mael Man
June 2, 2017, 1:18pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 7 hours 11 minutes
Quoted from Nils

Vince had a sequencer (good old BBC micro) that controlled a bunch of real synths. Synths played "live" by a machine with Vince adjusting some knobs now and then. So for each tour all songs had a very specific sound dictated by the set of synths selected for that tour. Just compare the Chorus and Tiny Tours.

Nowadays most Erasure live arrangement are simply based on the original studio track playbacks and therefore sound like the album versions, though I must admit that on recent tours Vince has re-programmed many of the older tracks.

However playing back pre-recorded tracks in logic is like Karaoke IMHO (ok, Karaoke-Deluxe ).

This is the main reason why I love listening to those earlier shows so much - each tour really had its own sound. I can understand why Vince has stopped reprogramming for every particular tour though as that is A LOT of work. I'm sure being older with a family has something to do with it.

As for the debate of whether he's playing live - honestly, don't care if Vince plays one note or a thousand. I never got into electronic music because they were particularly good players. I've always been under the assumptiontoon that most stuff is programmed and/or quantized anyway, so why should I expect something different live? If I wanted to hear technical virtuosos I'd listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 84 - 118
glazball
June 2, 2017, 1:38pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I agree Mael Man - I think Vince (who has called himself a "lucky bastard") would be the first to admit he's not the world's strongest musician when it comes to playing.  He can't sit at a piano or keyboard and play Moonlight Sonata or Fantaisie Impromptu.  Even someone as legendary as John Lennon wasn't very good at guitar, but he is and always will be a world famous musician.

iirc, there's a bootleg called Voulez Vous from the '92 tour where you can hear notes being missed in Breath of Life, a pretty simple song.

@Adam - yes, DM has live musicians in their shows, but what does that say about DM?  They have to bring in outside help for drums and keyboards, but there's no reason Martin couldn't sit back and chill like Vince while Dave sings and entertains the crowd.  And Andy um... fetches water?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 85 - 118
Pat.2000
June 2, 2017, 2:32pm Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 20 minutes
Quoted from Mael Man

As for the debate of whether he's playing live - honestly, don't care if Vince plays one note or a thousand. I never got into electronic music because they were particularly good players. I've always been under the assumptiontoon that most stuff is programmed and/or quantized anyway, so why should I expect something different live? If I wanted to hear technical virtuosos I'd listen to Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

I got into electronic music at 13 as a reaction the guitar worshipping than most kids around were doing at the time.
I never expected to see live electronic shows featuring added session players all over the place. Don't really want to either.

PSB are doing the band thing on this Super tour but does it sound superior to other tours? I'd say no. You can hear notes being played clumsily.

If you listen closely to Guy Barker on the Innocents DVD, his playing is pretty poor.

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 86 - 118
AdamGrossmanLG
June 2, 2017, 3:50pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pat.2000

I got into electronic music at 13 as a reaction the guitar worshipping than most kids around were doing at the time.
I never expected to see live electronic shows featuring added session players all over the place. Don't really want to either.

PSB are doing the band thing on this Super tour but does it sound superior to other tours? I'd say no. You can hear notes being played clumsily.

If you listen closely to Guy Barker on the Innocents DVD, his playing is pretty poor.

but live isn't SUPPOSED to be perfect.   Live is supposed to add the HUMAN feel, no?  Whats the difference between Vince and Elton?  both play "keys".  Imagine if Elton got up there with a laptop?

Everyone would just leave.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 87 - 118
Mael Man
June 2, 2017, 3:56pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 7 hours 11 minutes
Quoted from Pat.2000

Yeah part of the appeal to me was that it was so anti-rock and roll. I used to piss off my rock friends by telling them drummers are pointless, since drum machines could do the same thing! I've come around a bit on that line of thinking, but I personally want all Erasure shows as electronic as possible.

@glazball, I think I have that bootleg. I'll have to check it out!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 88 - 118
glazball
June 2, 2017, 6:49pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online

but live isn't SUPPOSED to be perfect.   Live is supposed to add the HUMAN feel, no?  Whats the difference between Vince and Elton?  both play "keys".  Imagine if Elton got up there with a laptop?

Everyone would just leave.

lol well you are right about that!  But in all fairness, Elton is a piano player and that is where he got his start.  Vince got his start by playing "dun da da dun dun dun da da" Just Can't Get Enough riff with one hand.  I can't debate though that perhaps Vince should be more involved in live performances, but you'll have to take that up with him!

My wife was more a guitar rock girl when we met and didn't know any Erasure (or DM, PSB, etc) so I've been slowly introducing it all to her.  We've been to a few shows and she's seen a few DVDs over the years, and she now does a Vince-Clarke-live impersonation that always cracks me up: a few fingers up to one ear, eyes closed and quietly grooving with a head bop.  Pretty spot on!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 89 - 118
8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    The Future Album (20**)  ›   Your three wishes for the Erasure future

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread