Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
I Say I Say I Say general album discussion
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    I Say I Say I Say (1994)  ›   I Say I Say I Say general album discussion
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

I Say I Say I Say general album discussion  This thread currently has 821 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
I Said
December 9, 2013, 7:14pm Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 12 hours 59 minutes
I just bought the beautiful pop up castle. It's magical! It will be so good to listen to the album with the opened castle.
It's one of the most spectacular box sets!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Peter
September 18, 2014, 6:20pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
13 minutes
Very good album with any weak point. Excellent music production.  My fav songs are "Take Me Back" and "Always".
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 12
Mikedepaz
September 19, 2014, 12:48am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
22 days 6 hours 16 minutes
This is my all time favorite from Erasure

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 12
MikeyC
September 19, 2014, 1:54am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 22 hours 2 minutes
It's a very special, MAGICAL album... (that's the word that always comes to mind, magical!)
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 12
Mikedepaz
September 19, 2014, 2:51am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
It was so special to me that I went looking for the castle in Germany that inspired this album. I have to go back and look for these photos

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 12
silvergirl92
September 19, 2014, 2:58am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from Mikedepaz
It was so special to me that I went looking for the castle in Germany that inspired this album. I have to go back and look for these photos

post them please!
E-mail Reply: 5 - 12
glazball
January 2, 2017, 7:54pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 3 hours 48 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
This is my all time favorite from Erasure

Wow Mike, that is quite a bold statement!  If I HAD to choose to save 1 Erasure album, knowing all other albums would be forever destroyed, I'd pick I Say also.  I hate to say it's my "favorite" but well I guess it is!

I've always wondered why V&A haven't gone back to I Say's method of songwriting, with the music first and vocals second.  I think it makes this album, esp. Vince's synths, SHINE.  Like MikeyC said, it's truly magical.

I Say came out just as I was beginning college, and it had a powerful ripple effect throughout my circle of friends and family.  Almost everyone I know who likes Erasure holds up I Say as their crowning achievement (or ties with Chorus).  Part of it had to do with the artwork.  It's PERFECT!  Whereas Innocents looked boring, Wild! looked glam and Chorus looked very medical/sterile, here you had a portal to a magical world that invites you in.  It is friendly without being childish, wonderful without being campy.  I remember seeing this album on a lot of people's shelves back then, and looking back that was when Erasure started to fall away from the mainstream at least here in the US.  I suspect this was the last Erasure album a lot of "normals" ever bought.

The songs themselves: amazing.  No one here needs to be told how incredible Take Me Back was, and is, for an opener.  At the very beginning, you're thrown over a waterfall.  Man in the Moon and So the Story Goes are the kinds of Erasure songs that keep me a fan to this day.  Understated and artistic, perfectly structured.  Run to the Sun is fast without being so in-yer-face-dance floor (my preference).  Always is a perfect song: mid-tempo and radio friendly.  Even to this day, many people who don't listen to Erasure know (and like) Always.  By the time you get to Because You're So Sweet, you feel like you've been on a perfectly crafted ride and the only problem is that the ride was just too darn short.

I could just as easily gush about Chorus and Erasure self-titled as well...  they both have a certain special something about them that endear them to me and I wouldn't change either for anything.  But the cherry on top of all Erasure's albums is this heartwarming album with the silly title: I Say I Say I Say.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 12
Bruce
January 2, 2017, 8:08pm Report to Moderator
Guest User
Decent album, has the fantastic Always, but for whatever reason Erasure seem to distance them selves from this album
E-mail Reply: 7 - 12
Mikedepaz
January 2, 2017, 8:59pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from 2152
Decent album, has the fantastic Always, but for whatever reason Erasure seem to distance them selves from this album

Yup, as I mentioned before, apart from Always, they have never played any of those songs Live. It's a very weird dilemma for a #1 album.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 12
PolarPiano
January 3, 2017, 12:02am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 7 hours 59 minutes
I don't know, I am a little torn with this album. I personally like it and the older I get the more I appreciate it but it's definitely not my favourite. I also think, as glazball pointed out, this was the beginning of the end for Erasure's mainstream appeal. I can remember a lot of my friends who had always supported Erasure scratching their heads when this album came out and by the time the self-titled album was released many of them had lost interest. Also, the fact that they didn't go on tour after the album was released wasn't helpful either I would say.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 12
Bruce
January 3, 2017, 12:37am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Quoted from PolarPiano
I don't know, I am a little torn with this album. I personally like it and the older I get the more I appreciate it but it's definitely not my favourite. I also think, as glazball pointed out, this was the beginning of the end for Erasure's mainstream appeal. I can remember a lot of my friends who had always supported Erasure scratching their heads when this album came out and by the time the self-titled album was released many of them had lost interest. Also, the fact that they didn't go on tour after the album was released wasn't helpful either I would say.

From what I've read in interviews, it was the bands, shall we say, personnel problems, that was the beginning of the end for erasures
mainstream appeal in the 90's, the talent has always been there, I'm just glad they are still here here making music and albums like
Nightbird and the Violet Flame prove they have still got it

E-mail Reply: 10 - 12
MikeyC
January 3, 2017, 5:53am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 22 hours 2 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz

Yup, as I mentioned before, apart from Always, they have never played any of those songs Live. It's a very weird dilemma for a #1 album.

Which is especially odd considering Vince frequently "name checks" Martyn Ware as a close friend, influence and the creator of some of his favorite music...
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 12
Mikedepaz
January 3, 2017, 1:54pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from MikeyC

Which is especially odd considering Vince frequently "name checks" Martyn Ware as a close friend, influence and the creator of some of his favorite music...

I thought Martyn Ware did an amazing job here. I wish there would Be a night they played I Say from beginning to end.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 12
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    I Say I Say I Say (1994)  ›   I Say I Say I Say general album discussion

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread