OMD  This thread currently has 2,722 views. Print
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Mikedepaz
October 13, 2013, 2:31am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
26 days 12 hours 10 minutes
English Electric is a gorgeous album. I love everything they did for this album, singles and deluxe box tin set, even thevinyl edition was a work of art. Sadly Mal suffered a heart attack that cut short the tour but glad he still with us. OMD is still an amazing group after 30+ years.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message
suec
October 13, 2013, 9:54am Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 hours 31 minutes
Omd massive part of my life, music the best, love them all, love everything they do, love everything they have ever done, will always love them lol  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 55
Mikedepaz
October 13, 2013, 12:27pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from suec
Omd massive part of my life, music the best, love them all, love everything they do, love everything they have ever done, will always love them lol  

They are such a down to earth band and very smart too. I could speak to Andy for hours and it wouldn't be about OMD stuff. Everyone in the band is like a family. I'm so happy the buried the hatchet on the late 80s separation and got back to doing OMD. Oh and that crazy dance 30+ years later going strong.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 55
Pughie
May 23, 2014, 5:22am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
156 days 8 hours 31 minutes

A bargain in ASDA last night only £3 recorded in 2007.

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 55
Mikedepaz
May 23, 2014, 6:02am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I would have taken it, great recording!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 55
Cesar
January 22, 2017, 5:41pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
22 days 18 hours 9 minutes

Private Message Reply: 5 - 55
Mikedepaz
January 23, 2017, 1:27am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Thanks for the link and I really look forward to the new album. They have done some great work in the last two albums.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 55
B2D2
January 23, 2017, 3:11pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 21 hours 8 minutes
nice, looking forward to this release,,, i think Hojo and Alphaville also have new albums in the works,,,,

anybody else hear chatter of an Eurythmics Tour this summer?

it's beginning to sound a lot like erasure!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 55
glazball
January 23, 2017, 7:13pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 3 hours 28 minutes
Great article, thanks Cesar.  I was pretty surprised to read they were "exhausted" after English Electric.  I had pictured them doing their last 2 albums (which imo are some of their best) simply for the love of music, with no egos and nothing to prove.  I'm ecstatic they plan to keep it going with another album this year.  2017 is shaping up to be a great year for new releases!

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 55
Mikedepaz
January 23, 2017, 11:35pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I always thought the reason they reformed is because they had a lot of material left in the tank and they were eager to prove they can do it with no pressure.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 55
Tin Soldier
January 24, 2017, 3:09am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
22 days 19 hours 33 minutes
I think that happened with History Of Modern. Thing is, they raised the bar of expectation, or at least raised it back to where it was in the early days. Now they are expected to consistently meet it.

For me, I've come to accept waiting for a good product longer than regular mediocrity. If they feel pressured, I feel guilty as one of the folks among those making them feel that way. Yes, I'd rather have consistently good quality on a biennial basis, but I'd feel worse having that cause a split again. These guys have families and despite Andy's antics, both are older men with added physical limitations.

Despite not being there, I even feel a bit guilty about Mal's issue...was that a heart attack?

Quoted from B2D2
nice, looking forward to this release,,, i think Hojo and Alphaville also have new albums in the works,,,,

anybody else hear chatter of an Eurythmics Tour this summer?

HOJO touring is like expecting the sun to rise in the morning. I fear my taking for granted I can see him whenever I wish would lead to depression when he stops.

Not seen Alphaville stateside EVER. I'm not even sure when they were last here. I fear they might not be able to short of joining some 80's tour. I hate that clipped the OMD setlist lat time 'round.

Eurythmics? Wow. I'd love to see them. How amazing would it be if Goldfrapp opened for them? I fear Alison has too much status here with near sold out shows. Maybe La Roux instead.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 10 - 55
Mikedepaz
January 25, 2017, 3:46am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
The Punishment Of Luxury seems like a very ambitious title. Let's hope the music lives up to this great title. I admire the music OMD produce along with the great art done by the famous Peter Seville who continues his master work with OMD.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 55
Leakyfrog
January 26, 2017, 8:31am Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
3 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
I think that happened with History Of Modern. Thing is, they raised the bar of expectation, or at least raised it back to where it was in the early days. Now they are expected to consistently meet it.

For me, I've come to accept waiting for a good product longer than regular mediocrity. If they feel pressured, I feel guilty as one of the folks among those making them feel that way. Yes, I'd rather have consistently good quality on a biennial basis, but I'd feel worse having that cause a split again. These guys have families and despite Andy's antics, both are older men with added physical limitations.

Despite not being there, I even feel a bit guilty about Mal's issue...was that a heart attack?

HOJO touring is like expecting the sun to rise in the morning. I fear my taking for granted I can see him whenever I wish would lead to depression when he stops.

Not seen Alphaville stateside EVER. I'm not even sure when they were last here. I fear they might not be able to short of joining some 80's tour. I hate that clipped the OMD setlist lat time 'round.

Eurythmics? Wow. I'd love to see them. How amazing would it be if Goldfrapp opened for them? I fear Alison has too much status here with near sold out shows. Maybe La Roux instead.

The only time I'm aware of Alphaville EVER playing stateside was around 2002, when they played 2 shows in Salt Lake City, Utah (synth pop is very big in Utah).  I have the dvd of the show.  They continue to be one of the most elusive bands on my concert bucket list.  Saw OMD for both the History of Modern and English Electric tours in LA- some of my fondest concert-going experiences!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 55
MikeyC
January 26, 2017, 8:53am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 1 hours 14 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier

I see Howard every time he plays NYC (excluding the opening gig for Barenaked Ladies last summer) and each time is a fantastic live experience. In Summer '15 heeven did his entire "ENGAGE" show here, along with a "second act" of the hits!

It hasn't been that long that he's been playing here regularly... The first time I saw him live was in the mid-90s at The Academy in Times Square! And since he performed "Human's Lib" and "Dream Into Action" in their entirety at Irving Plaza, it's been every year, including slots in the Retro Futura Tour!

Hope he never stops and I doubt he will! (Especially with new material on the way!)  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 55
glazball
September 22, 2017, 7:06pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 3 hours 28 minutes
Has everyone else been enjoying the new OMD album?  I got mine (CD+DVD from Pledge) last week and I've been listening non-stop.  Another great album from a wonderful band!  So far, I put it about equal with English Electric - great and no complaints, but not quite the grand slam that History of Modern was.  I really consider myself lucky that I keep getting all this wonderful NEW music from all of my favorite groups this year (DM, Erasure, OMD, Saint Etienne).

I consider myself pretty familiar with OMD's entire catalog, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.  I believe OMD dropped their first f-bomb on this new album.  In the song "Kiss Kiss Kiss Bang Bang Bang," Andy sings his first "f***" with the line: "f*** your bombs (or guns?) and your theory".  I thought it was interesting because Martin Gore sang his first f-bomb on the last track of Spirit ("Fail") which came out earlier this year ("We're fucked").  Will Andy Bell be next lol?  I think the naughtiest word Andy has ever sang was "b****."

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 14 - 55
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Other Bands/Artists  ›  OMD

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread