Depeche Mode  This thread currently has 14,069 views. Print
16 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » All Recommend Thread
Mikedepaz
February 14, 2017, 12:00am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
26 days 2 hours 2 minutes
Last DM I liked as well was Precious mainly because it was all synths.

This song was painful, the video God awful and boring. Where has my Basildon boys gone? Well one that left in 1981 will hopefully top this

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 90 - 231
MikeyC
February 14, 2017, 1:24am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 23 hours 27 minutes
Quoted from Dunc
After watching "101" on Sky Arts over Christmas I have really enjoyed listening to some Depeche Mode over the last few weeks. Forgot about some classics such as the Beatmasters remix of Route 66 and the extended versions of Shake The Disease and Everything Counts. I hugely enjoyed seeing them on the Violater tour at the NEC, Birmingham so I'm not here to run them down but I have to say that their output in the last few years has been very underwhelming including this new single. I think that the last DM song I liked was "Precious".
It's a shame, because when they were a synth band they were reallygood but now it's all a bit too dark and heavy for me personally.

"101" is an amazing documentary and is largely considered a pre-curser to "The Real World" series on MTV in that it threw together young strangers to live together and get along (or not) while following DM cross-country on tour. And it totally captures that late 80s moment of college-aged kids being passionate about "alternative music"  and bands and culture and was also an early documentary showing young gay people in this way. Such a time capsule!  

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 91 - 231
Mikedepaz
February 14, 2017, 2:21am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from MikeyC

"101" is an amazing documentary and is largely considered a pre-curser to "The Real World" series on MTV in that it threw together young strangers to live together and get along (or not) while following DM cross-country on tour. And it totally captures that late 80s moment of college-aged kids being passionate about "alternative music"  and bands and culture and was also an early documentary showing young gay people in this way. Such a time capsule!  

This was also the turning point tour from small underground arena act to massive stadium shows leading up to the great Violator period. Then everything sort of went hit or miss from there. I remember both DM and Erasure played almost sellout here and Mute was banking big coin at the time.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 92 - 231
mr first
February 14, 2017, 9:37am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 19 hours 38 minutes
After violator I thought songs of faith and devotion was very good ,but then came there problems Dave's drug problems and Alan wilder leaving the band which left a big hole in DM Martin is still a great songwriter but between them they don't seem to be able turn the songs onto the next stage like Alan did a bit like broken frame when Vince left,playing the angel held a glimmer of hope probably because it was more synth based ,I would like them to not keep doing this 4 year cycle of every 4 years an album it's like the Olympics maybe more spontaneous  recordings could have a different effect
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 93 - 231
Mikedepaz
February 14, 2017, 1:50pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I'm also done with the Anton Cordjin art direction. It's just lack any direction and his style has got worse with time. Logos look goofy and primitive. Seen the revolution and Spirit art and it looks like it was done in Kindergarten

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 94 - 231
luminous786
February 14, 2017, 4:13pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 7 hours 9 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
I'm also done with the Anton Cordjin art direction. It's just lack any direction and his style has got worse with time. Logos look goofy and primitive. Seen the revolution and Spirit art and it looks like it was done in Kindergarten

He also does that stage design for the tours.  It has been severely lacking the last few tours.  They need someone new to tackle this.  Anton did a good job with the SOFAD tour and he admitted that it was more work than he realized.  Since then it seems he has taken the easy way out and has delivered meh....
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 95 - 231
Mikedepaz
February 15, 2017, 1:35am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Yup, it just looks like all the same crap for years and years. They have have to cut this out and look for another fresh direction and views

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 96 - 231
MikeyC
February 15, 2017, 3:50am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
In all fairness, we've only heard one song from the new album! Maybe it's filled with some great music!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 97 - 231
disk jokke
February 15, 2017, 9:41am Report to Moderator

Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
13 days 5 hours 6 minutes
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Yup, it just looks like all the same crap for years and years. They have have to cut this out and look for another fresh direction and views

Erasure often get this kind of comments too.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 98 - 231
Mikedepaz
February 15, 2017, 1:44pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from disk jokke

Yes but at least when it comes to art style it's always different. And erasure tends to change music direction too, some forward, backward but you see movement. I don't see the same in years for DM

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 99 - 231
luminous786
February 15, 2017, 2:50pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 7 hours 9 minutes
Quoted from disk jokke

I was thinking this as well as I wrote my earlier post. The last really good show for me was The Erasure Show.  I know budget is tight but hoping the boys do something with a bit more spectacle this time around.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 100 - 231
Cesar
February 15, 2017, 8:39pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
22 days 17 hours 47 minutes
Quoted from MikeyC
In all fairness, we've only heard one song from the new album! Maybe it's filled with some great music!  

Did you hear the teaser?

César

Private Message Reply: 101 - 231
MikeyC
February 16, 2017, 12:09am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Cesar

Did you hear the teaser?

César

Yes. Still hopeful for some nice surprises on the full album!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 102 - 231
Mikedepaz
February 19, 2017, 3:04am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I heard the teaser but I'll give the album a complete listen before I make any more opinions on it.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 103 - 231
Tin Soldier
March 6, 2017, 9:44pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
22 days 8 hours 10 minutes
Regarding the Strobe-run DM tix pre-sale...

I get how and why methods to beat scaplers are necessary, and even get over the fact Strobe used the current referral system to generate album sales, but one day I was in the 2000s, and literally the next day I'm in 3400s. When I did get a spot, in group two, I am in the nosebleeds on 9/9, and barely on the floor on 9/11.

The process left a bad taste in my mouth...and hole in my wallet.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Online
Site Private Message Reply: 104 - 231
16 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Other Bands/Artists  ›  Depeche Mode

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread