16 Pages « ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » All Recommend Thread
Mikedepaz
August 12, 2017, 12:24pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 17 hours 22 minutes
He is in America affectionately called The Clapper

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 165 - 231
Pat.2000
August 12, 2017, 2:36pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
4 days 11 hours 24 minutes
Well, once he gets going he goes like the clappers

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 166 - 231
Tin Soldier
September 11, 2017, 5:15pm Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
18 days 6 hours 42 minutes
Had to pop back on (I will return to prolificacy soon) to say I'm going to MSG tonight. Will skip the DM tee for my recent Erasure multi-logo one. Let's see if I get beat up.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 167 - 231
luminous786
September 11, 2017, 7:56pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 1 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Had to pop back on (I will return to prolificacy soon) to say I'm going to MSG tonight. Will skip the DM tee for my recent Erasure multi-logo one. Let's see if I get beat up.

I was there too!   Section B Row 12.  What did you think?  

I felt the setlist was a bit poor.  They try so hard to be a rock band don't they?  I also thought Anton got really lazy with stage design and visuals.  Felt like they were running on autopilot, but there were certainly highlights.  In your room, Somebody, Never Let Me Down Again, Cover Me and of course Everything Counts which I had not heard live before.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 168 - 231
Tin Soldier
September 11, 2017, 9:09pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
No, I meant I have tix for tonight!

Which you have now spoiled, thankyouverymuch.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 169 - 231
MikeyC
September 11, 2017, 11:58pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 16 hours 18 minutes
Have fun Tin Soldier!

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

I saw them on Saturday night! I, too, had some issues with the set-list. There are some great tracks on "Spirit" and they do a couple of them, but they also do the blandest tracks that havevery little melody or soul. It's not very smart to follow a gorgeous classic with one of these newbies because it makes you think "how is the same band responsible for "Everything Counts" AND "Poison Heart"???

Loved the opening... World In My Eyes... Everything Counts... HOME -- the best rendition I've ever heard of it, GO MARTIN!!... Walking In My Shoes.

And yes the visuals were lacking. But overall it looked great and just playing in -- and experiencing -- MSG is thrilling in my eyes!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 170 - 231
luminous786
September 12, 2017, 1:39am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 1 hours 26 minutes
Quoted from Tin Soldier
No, I meant I have tix for tonight!

Which you have now spoiled, thankyouverymuch.

alright my fault.  Owe you pre-gig cocktails the next time Erasure are in town.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 171 - 231
Tin Soldier
September 13, 2017, 1:02pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Nah, no worries. If anything, I should thank many of you for poo-pooing DM lately; to the point my expectations were low enough to be pleasantly surprised.  

Me, I was technically on the floor (which is the best I can say about my seating). Short of starting a GoFundMe, getting into the "I was hit with Dave's sweat" section was a non-starter. As was said by others, the show was less-classic heavy than what Erasure would do, but I didn't go in expecting more. An unplugged version of Strangelove didn't grab me at all either., but I was impressed by a fairly classic rendition of Black Celebration. I was touched by their recognition of 9/11 first responders with Bowie's "Heroes", but it was a little flat, and Dave's intro for it seemed more wrote than heartfelt. I'll give the benefit of feeling the constraints of time, though.

The drum solos...well, they just teetered over acceptability. Only once did I wonder how many songs must have been cut from the setlist for them.  

Also, I know the band probably have longtime reasons to de-emphasize Enjoy The Silence as one of, or "the", obvious closer(s), but Personal Jesus being the closer spot only made the fact ETS placement as the penultimate song pre-encore set more anti-climactic. I think folks were all aware enough of the time not to even imagine this could be a closer, and give it the appropriate "punched-up" response. I think they really took the teeth out of ETS by doing that.

Lastly, maybe it was the reverb and the arena acoustics (at least where I was), but it almost sounded as if Martin missed a couple chords in PJ, and while Dave did a good job, but looked a tad more worn-out on it. Overall, the vocals from Dave and Martin throughout the show were great though. They hold up so much it's easy to see how they can still command arena tours on that alone.

I just need to download all the MUCH better YT vids out there of the show. Really, we were all cackling when the 1:5 ratio of people filming the gig with cellphones immediately jumped to 1:2 on ETS.  

Boy, am I a sucker for a tour scarf. Got two (Where's the Erasure ones these days?). Only now am I realizing what skipping those could have meant for my seating...damn, damn, damn.

Oh, close your eyes if you don't wanna see, but here comes the setlist in 3...2...1...

This post contains attachments; to download them you must login.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 172 - 231
Mikedepaz
September 14, 2017, 2:33am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
23 days 17 hours 22 minutes
Tampa show cancelled and Miami show maybe due to Hurricane Irma

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 173 - 231
MikeyC
September 14, 2017, 2:56am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier
Nah, no worries. If anything, I should thank many of you for poo-pooing DM lately; to the point my expectations were low enough to be pleasantly surprised.  

Me, I was technically on the floor (which is the best I can say about my seating). Short of starting a GoFundMe, getting into the "I was hit with Dave's sweat" section was a non-starter. As was said by others, the show was less-classic heavy than what Erasure would do, but I didn't go in expecting more. An unplugged version of Strangelove didn't grab me at all either., but I was impressed by a fairly classic rendition of Black Celebration. I was touched by their recognition of 9/11 first responders with Bowie's "Heroes", but it was a little flat, and Dave's intro for it seemed more wrote than heartfelt. I'll give the benefit of feeling the constraints of time, though.

The drum solos...well, they just teetered over acceptability. Only once did I wonder how many songs must have been cut from the setlist for them.  

Also, I know the band probably have longtime reasons to de-emphasize Enjoy The Silence as one of, or "the", obvious closer(s), but Personal Jesus being the closer spot only made the fact ETS placement as the penultimate song pre-encore set more anti-climactic. I think folks were all aware enough of the time not to even imagine this could be a closer, and give it the appropriate "punched-up" response. I think they really took the teeth out of ETS by doing that.

Lastly, maybe it was the reverb and the arena acoustics (at least where I was), but it almost sounded as if Martin missed a couple chords in PJ, and while Dave did a good job, but looked a tad more worn-out on it. Overall, the vocals from Dave and Martin throughout the show were great though. They hold up so much it's easy to see how they can still command arena tours on that alone.

I just need to download all the MUCH better YT vids out there of the show. Really, we were all cackling when the 1:5 ratio of people filming the gig with cellphones immediately jumped to 1:2 on ETS.  

Boy, am I a sucker for a tour scarf. Got two (Where's the Erasure ones these days?). Only now am I realizing what skipping those could have meant for my seating...damn, damn, damn.

Oh, close your eyes if you don't wanna see, but here comes the setlist in 3...2...1...

A great read! Thanks for your review, Tin Soldier!  

P.S. - wasn't "Home" gorgeous??
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 174 - 231
Tin Soldier
September 15, 2017, 5:31pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Mikedepaz
Tampa show cancelled and Miami show maybe due to Hurricane Irma

I'm SO sorry Mike. I feel a bit of a heel for rubbing it in with my critique...and having not emailed you to see how you were doing.

I really hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

Quoted from MikeyC

A great read! Thanks for your review, Tin Soldier!  

P.S. - wasn't "Home" gorgeous??

It was! I always want to hear more of Martin singing.

Which jogs my memory about after that when Dave acknowledged Martin, and then stepped over the applause to rush through to the other performing band members. I suppose it could be due to the constraints of time. I've no clue if he did it your night as well, but he did do it again later on. I don't know if there are issues between them, but the way he did it made me wonder if there were.

Incidentally, this apparent millionaire DM fan is following them on tour with great seats and a steadier hand than I. His MSG vids are pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SchemeDM/videos?shelf_id=1&sort=dd&view=0

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 175 - 231
MikeyC
September 16, 2017, 2:06am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Tin Soldier

I'm SO sorry Mike. I feel a bit of a heel for rubbing it in with my critique...and having not emailed you to see how you were doing.

I really hope all is well with you and your loved ones.

It was! I always want to hear more of Martin singing.

Which jogs my memory about after that when Dave acknowledged Martin, and then stepped over the applause to rush through to the other performing band members. I suppose it could be due to the constraints of time. I've no clue if he did it your night as well, but he did do it again later on. I don't know if there are issues between them, but the way he did it made me wonder if there were.

Incidentally, this apparent millionaire DM fan is following them on tour with great seats and a steadier hand than I. His MSG vids are pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/user/SchemeDM/videos?shelf_id=1&sort=dd&view=0

Yes I've noticed that guy's videos!! However, they're mainly close-up, and I love a view from slightly further back so you're able to "take it all in" and appreciate the stage set, videos and lighting.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 176 - 231
glazball
September 21, 2017, 2:37pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 16 hours 38 minutes
After seeing a minor spoiler in this thread about some of the songs performed, I quit checking it and I'm finally Catching Up (With Depeche Mode) now   We saw them last night here in Austin.

** SPOILER ALERT **

I was with friends and family who like DM, but don't know every song forwards and backwards like me.  We all had a great time....  BUT, from my point of view as an overcritical superfan, I thought the show was lacking.  Like others said above, I thought the setlist was rather poor.  Too many songs were chosen because of the heavy drum presence.  And imo, that's not what DM is about.  Drums are a nice touch on certain songs, sure... but they rely too much on Eigner's drumming for that "loud concert rock band effect."

Barrel of a Gun - who wants to hear that nowadays?  (Plus, Dave botched the lyrics.)  Poison Heart is simply a poor song.  During the encore, I Feel You was followed immediately by Personal Jesus which was kind of a bad choice too, since they are very similar.  I even felt like they kind of botched Enjoy the Silence - the extended instrumental parts, which they have done really well in the past (ie, live version on Condemnation single), seemed to just sound messy.  Where's the Revolution also sounded messy to me, almost uninspired.

Highlights for me were Home and Everything Counts, which was nicely remixed.  And of course, Martin's A Question of Lust and Somebody are always wonderful.

I was surprised when I couldn't immediately place David Bowie's "Heroes".  I told my friends "I know every DM song... what is this??" and was definitely not expecting them to perform a cover.  It also fell a bit flat with me, but I admit to not being the world's greatest Bowie fan either.  Many of you may already know this, but "Heroes" is the song that Vince heard Dave singing which prompted him to invite Dave to the group.  So, I have a feeling that they chose Heroes to "come full circle" if you will.  This could likely be their last tour and maybe this was their way of saying so, since that's the song that helped get DM started in the first place.

All in all, we had a great time and I'm not even hungover this morning!

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 177 - 231
mr first
September 22, 2017, 3:21pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 6 hours 29 minutes
Quoted from glazball
After seeing a minor spoiler in this thread about some of the songs performed, I quit checking it and I'm finally Catching Up (With Depeche Mode) now   We saw them last night here in Austin.

** SPOILER ALERT **

I was with friends and family who like DM, but don't know every song forwards and backwards like me.  We all had a great time....  BUT, from my point of view as an overcritical superfan, I thought the show was lacking.  Like others said above, I thought the setlist was rather poor.  Too many songs were chosen because of the heavy drum presence.  And imo, that's not what DM is about.  Drums are a nice touch on certain songs, sure... but they rely too much on Eigner's drumming for that "loud concert rock band effect."

Barrel of a Gun - who wants to hear that nowadays?  (Plus, Dave botched the lyrics.)  Poison Heart is simply a poor song.  During the encore, I Feel You was followed immediately by Personal Jesus which was kind of a bad choice too, since they are very similar.  I even felt like they kind of botched Enjoy the Silence - the extended instrumental parts, which they have done really well in the past (ie, live version on Condemnation single), seemed to just sound messy.  Where's the Revolution also sounded messy to me, almost uninspired.

Highlights for me were Home and Everything Counts, which was nicely remixed.  And of course, Martin's A Question of Lust and Somebody are always wonderful.

I was surprised when I couldn't immediately place David Bowie's "Heroes".  I told my friends "I know every DM song... what is this??" and was definitely not expecting them to perform a cover.  It also fell a bit flat with me, but I admit to not being the world's greatest Bowie fan either.  Many of you may already know this, but "Heroes" is the song that Vince heard Dave singing which prompted him to invite Dave to the group.  So, I have a feeling that they chose Heroes to "come full circle" if you will.  This could likely be their last tour and maybe this was their way of saying so, since that's the song that helped get DM started in the first place.

All in all, we had a great time and I'm not even hungover this morning!

Do you think it will be there last tour I hope not
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 178 - 231
mr first
September 22, 2017, 3:36pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 6 hours 29 minutes
It would be a shame if DM didn't tour again,I've grown up with Depeche they were the band that started my love affair with electronic music when I heard everything counts back in 83 ,I know the band aren't getting any younger as we all are and along with erasure are at the side of there careers where they are slowing down but I couldn't stand the thought if the band's that are close to me were to call it a day on the touring front ,I would find it difficult to get the same sort of excitement with any other band live
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 179 - 231
16 Pages « ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Other Bands/Artists  ›  Depeche Mode

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread