Depeche Mode  This thread currently has 15,796 views. Print
17 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » All Recommend Thread
Mikedepaz
August 10, 2017, 1:26am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
28 days 7 hours 11 minutes
They are playing a mid size arena here- 5000 capacity. But I have not been a fan of the rock act incarnation. Since they morphed into this stage on Songs of Faith, I have seen them two times and of the two, I walked out of Songs of the UniverseTour but the 1998 Singles Tour was amazing and a real pack to synth roots.

I don't think they will ever return to this since Alan Wilder added the magic synth parts that ended after SOFAD. They havebeen hit and miss in my ears since that point. so I'll pass on this one again.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 150 - 240
glazball
August 10, 2017, 5:30pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 3 hours 8 minutes
I keep waiting / hoping that Alan will come back and work with DM.  It could happen!  After all, he and Vince have both done remixes for DM and if VCMG can happen, why not a DM reunion?  What's Alan doing these days anyway?  The last Recoil album I'm aware of is subHuman and it's 10 years old now.

glazball's music collection
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 151 - 240
mikegouty
August 10, 2017, 6:49pm Report to Moderator
Minimum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 15 hours 47 minutes
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0903wbz

Tonight at 10:00 p.m , available on I player shortly after
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 152 - 240
mr first
August 10, 2017, 8:56pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 days 22 hours 13 minutes
Quoted from glazball
I keep waiting / hoping that Alan will come back and work with DM.  It could happen!  After all, he and Vince have both done remixes for DM and if VCMG can happen, why not a DM reunion?  What's Alan doing these days anyway?  The last Recoil album I'm aware of is subHuman and it's 10 years old now.

As much as I would like to see Alan back cos personally think that DM have never been as good as when he was In the band except for playing the angel I can't see him and Fletcher surviving together in the studio or a tour
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 153 - 240
PolarPiano
August 11, 2017, 3:02am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 19 hours 29 minutes
I don't think it will happen. Look at it in this way - Alan was in the band for approximately 13 years and is now gone for nearly 22 years so he spent more time outside the band than in the band so to speak. Also, Depeche Mode is still successful, selling out arenas etc. so there is really no need for Alan in a way. And even if Alan would come back, we wouldn't get another Violator or Music for the Masses anyway. They all have moved on and Alan is on record saying that he doesn't like the old stuff anymore. He's also auctioned off a lot of his old equipment and Depeche Mode memorabilia a couple of years ago. Agreed, I prefer the older albums as well but at the end of the day, it is what it is. I have to admit though, the new Spirit album got me back on track. There are certainly some pearls on that one.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 154 - 240
kwerty
August 11, 2017, 11:23am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 20 minutes
Quoted from PolarPiano
Alan was in the band for approximately 13 years and is now gone for nearly 22 years...

Thanks for making me feel old.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 155 - 240
Pat.2000
August 11, 2017, 2:44pm Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 22 hours 24 minutes
Quoted from mr first

I can't see him and Fletcher surviving together in the studio or a tour

Andy's studio contributions had always been a mystery after 1986.

On stage he plays basic sound effects eg. he presses the key that played the car engine sound in Behind the Wheel (to quote Martin in 2005)
I do wish he was a bit more convincing on stage though. You'd think he'd want to be seen playing more than just clapping and dancing, his kids must cringe when they watch that.

Even if he mimed a bit more playing he'd get less ridiculed

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 156 - 240
glazball
August 11, 2017, 2:56pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 3 hours 8 minutes
Points all well taken, PolarPiano.  Still, we (I) can hope and daydream, but damn - when you phrase it that way (13 years in vs. 22 out) it sure seems a long shot!

Even scratching the idea of a big DM reunion or reformation, maybe a one-off side project could happen?  AWMG?  What if Martin wrote some songs, Alan worked the studio magic and Martin and/or Dave on vocals.  It would essentially be a DM reunion.  Screw Fletch, he can watch but he's pretty useless.  As far as I'm concerned, he could be kicked out completely.  His only role seems to be giving the impression that DM is a "band" versus a "duo" if it were just Martin and Dave.

This topic got me curious and I saw on Wikipedia that Alan performed with DM around 2010 for a charity show, which was news to me.  That must have been great to see.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 157 - 240
mr first
August 11, 2017, 3:38pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
In the biography of Depeche mode it says on numerous occasions that fletch is the voice of Martin ,cos he is that shy plus they are best mates
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 158 - 240
glazball
August 11, 2017, 4:27pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 3 hours 8 minutes
lol, Martin gets on stage in front of 20,000 people in short shorts spattered in glitter to sing and play guitar, yet he is shy!  Gotta love MLG!  I know what you mean though.  I'm kind of soft-spoken like Martin; however, you'll never see me on a stage like that!

I know he and Andy are friends, and I've always gotten the impression that he and Dave aren't quite as close.  I think if Alan and Fletch had both left over the years, Martin and Dave wouldn't have kept going.  There just doesn't seem to be as much chemistry there, but that is completely speculation on my part.  Even the song they co-wrote on Spirit (You Move), though it's good it's a rather plain song overall.  Or maybe "safe" would be a better description.  I feel like it was written almost because they have to work together, being the only 2 useful band members left, but there's no real oomph behind it.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 159 - 240
mr first
August 11, 2017, 4:41pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from glazball
lol, Martin gets on stage in front of 20,000 people in short shorts spattered in glitter to sing and play guitar, yet he is shy!  Gotta love MLG!  I know what you mean though.  I'm kind of soft-spoken like Martin; however, you'll never see me on a stage like that!

I know he and Andy are friends, and I've always gotten the impression that he and Dave aren't quite as close.  I think if Alan and Fletch had both left over the years, Martin and Dave wouldn't have kept going.  There just doesn't seem to be as much chemistry there, but that is completely speculation on my part.  Even the song they co-wrote on Spirit (You Move), though it's good it's a rather plain song overall.  Or maybe "safe" would be a better description.  I feel like it was written almost because they have to work together, being the only 2 useful band members left, but there's no real oomph behind it.

So is andy bell and he is even more outlandish,I should have said Martin is shy but also very non confrontational and that is where flecth speaks up for him
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 160 - 240
MikeyC
August 11, 2017, 11:37pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 14 hours 45 minutes
I think Fletch also handles many of the business/behind-the-scenes elements of the band. So that's an important contribution even if it isn't music-related.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 161 - 240
kwerty
August 12, 2017, 9:00am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 20 minutes
Quoted from MikeyC
I think Fletch also handles many of the business/behind-the-scenes elements of the band

I know they used to say that many years ago, but I think that was before they finally appointed Jonathan Kessler as their actual manager.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 162 - 240
kwerty
August 12, 2017, 9:04am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 20 minutes
I think now Fletch is more like the band mascot. A bit like Bez from the Happy Mondays. But without the dancing.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 163 - 240
Pat.2000
August 12, 2017, 9:26am Report to Moderator

Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
5 days 22 hours 24 minutes
Quoted Text
Fletcher's role within Depeche Mode has often been a topic of speculation. In early incarnations of the band, he played (electric and later synth) bass.

Quoted Text
In the studio and during live shows, Fletcher does contribute a variety of supporting synthesizer parts, including bass parts, pads, strings and drone sounds, and various samples.

From Wikipedia

Live classic synth pop tracks you might have forgotten about.

UPDATED:  11TH JUNE 2018

https://soundcloud.com/user-152577839

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 164 - 240
17 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum    General Boards    Other Bands/Artists  ›  Depeche Mode

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread