Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Hits!
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Albums    Hits! The Very Best Of Erasure (2003)  ›  Hits!
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 2 Guests

Hits!  This thread currently has 2,505 views. Print
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Pughie
January 14, 2013, 12:39am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
150 days 11 hours 24 minutes
This release didn't really get the fans going with enthusiasm,after the success of the Pop! Release this really looked
Like a cheap inferior release.

The track listing also was a little weird for most fans taste,infant the superior track listing was replaced with a more
Abba-Esque heavy listing.

For fans the saving grace of this release was the excellent 35 track videos DVD that came with it,plus all the extras onthe extra disc of EPKs and various different versions and extra stuff in the form of Easter eggs.

Today I played the limited edition megamix which follows the original tracklisting that's why YSM appears on the megamix but doesn't feature on the first disc.

Mark Towns did an amazing job with this mix using the original backing tracks to produced unique versions of Erasure classics like adding extra vocals to SWM that were taken from Blue Savannah & also using never before heard lyrics For Sometimes that only appear on this disc. Good luck to Mark for making this megamix after being offered the job
By using his initiative and handing Andy a homemade remix CD after a gig.

Promo CDs of this release contain he original tracklisting if you want to track one down on eBay.

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message
suec
August 6, 2013, 2:01pm Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
6 hours 31 minutes
Been listening to this cd quite a lot while on the tread mill  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 1 - 14
Pughie
September 18, 2013, 8:13pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Taken from EIS newsletter 18th September 2013

'HITS - THE VERY BEST OF ERASURE' GOES PLATINUM IN THE UK
It's taken a little while to get there, but the compilation 'Hits - The Very Best of Erasure' has just gone platinum in the UK with sales of over 300,000 copies… which is nice!

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 2 - 14
Mikedepaz
October 12, 2013, 1:15pm Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
22 days 13 hours 12 minutes
I would imagine that EMI is always pushing Greatest a hits packages in every outlet it can stick one and have better distribution than MuTE solo. So in time it will go to 500,000

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 3 - 14
Gareth Pugh
August 3, 2014, 8:59am Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 16 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from Pughie
This release didn't really get the fans going with enthusiasm,after the success of the Pop! Release this really looked
Like a cheap inferior release.

I know what you mean. I've come round to the view that the Pop! 'brand' was/is now intended to serve the more committed fan, whereas selective packages like 'Hits!' were designed to have a different purpose, namely to be a 'keep the name of a band in the public eye' tool - a long-term banker to have in petrol stations, in HMV 2-for-a-Tenner offer shelves, to pop up on 'you might also like....' on Amazon pages etc.  Erasure were (in effect) on EMI (owned Mute at the time) when Hits! was released, and a few years later EMI did something extremely similar for the PSBs - 'Ultimate' - which offered about 18 selected hits from across their by-then 25 year career. If you want deeper-dive, then you have PopArt (or Total Pop), if you are browsing the offers in HMV on a Saturday afternoon and looking to make up the numbers in a 2-for or a 3- for offer, and you see this and think 'oh yeah, Erasure, I remember them... (reads the back)... actually, they has loads of good ones... Right, I'll have that'... and then, safely back on your radar, you might sit up and notice when their next all-new album is out.

And yes, of course they want the long-term fans to buy it when it's new, and so they have a limited edition format with an extra that will appeal to die-hards (the excellent megamix CD for Hits!, a PSBs at the BBC DVD for Ultimate) so it helps beef up first week sales. But when Ultimate PSBs came out and some of their fans base sneered in a quite-told-you-so way that it hadn't exactly topped the charts and therefore had 'failed', I think they'd missed the point a bit. I'm sure these budget 'selected' best-ofs are about the longer term and something different from first week chart positions.

For really long-term artists, I reckon the era of the two-tier Best-Of is now here.

Cheers
G
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 4 - 14
Sadie
August 3, 2014, 9:36am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 3 hours 33 minutes
Tracks from Hits constantly make up the top 10 favourite tracks on iTunes
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 5 - 14
Mikedepaz
August 3, 2014, 10:40am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I would also reckon that hardcore fans also place the E Boxes of 99 and 00 as the true ultimate greatest hits package which had all the singles and b- sides complied. Mute did a great job with those for fans and I do hope the revisit the project one day when they get back the Back catalog from EMI. If not, I would see EMI doing another HITS type deal down the line again mixing up the same tracks. as been said, these always sell a quick, cheap impulse buys but sell in the long run boatloads. Because its priced at a very resonable rate that you get with chips and soda at checkout.

Am I In Tomorrows World or in a Sweltering Violet Flame? oh look- World Be Gone!
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 6 - 14
Gareth Pugh
August 10, 2014, 1:07pm Report to Moderator
Big Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
8 days 16 hours 25 minutes
Quoted from Sadie
Tracks from Hits constantly make up the top 10 favourite tracks on iTunes

Exactly, and that's my point. IMHO, 'Hits!' is designed to keep the biggest hits (and therefore the 'band as a brand') alive with the wider, casual listener on a whim rather than a money spinner or short-time chart-topper.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 7 - 14
Sadie
August 11, 2014, 10:57pm Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 days 3 hours 33 minutes
Quoted from Gareth Pugh

Exactly, and that's my point. IMHO, 'Hits!' is designed to keep the biggest hits (and therefore the 'band as a brand') alive with the wider, casual listener on a whim rather than a money spinner or short-time chart-topper.

yes indeed, however some fans seem to deem that because its not hardcore fan friendly/value etc its pointless. Far from it.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 8 - 14
Mikedepaz
August 12, 2014, 2:27am Report to Moderator

MOD
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Old timers will rediscover old hits so they tend to download select tracks they remember. It will be sadly the 80s early 90s stuff. Most of the new stuff will not be as popular

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 9 - 14
Pughie
June 6, 2017, 12:17pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online

Hits! Has re-entered the charts after Robbie tour dates

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 10 - 14
MikeyC
June 6, 2017, 10:33pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
7 days 2 hours 10 minutes
Quoted from Pughie

Hits! Has re-entered the charts after Robbie tour dates

Mazel tov!  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 11 - 14
moxxey
June 7, 2017, 9:08am Report to Moderator
Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 14 hours 8 minutes
Quoted from MikeyC

Mazel tov!  

Looking through the feedback from the Southampton support concert last night, the feedback is very positive. People loved listening to the hits. Reading feedback from people who went to an Erasure concert in 1992 and heard them again last night and remembered why they went in the first place!

I can see why Mute is pushing the "Hits" album again for this reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 12 - 14
minerals
June 8, 2017, 6:26am Report to Moderator

Medium Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
1 days 8 hours 43 minutes
Interestingly, when the "World Be Gone" single is released, we will be halfway through to Pop! The Third 20 Hits.  (SuperPop!)?
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 13 - 14
Tin Soldier
June 17, 2017, 7:12am Report to Moderator

Still a good boy from the other side of town...
Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
15 days 22 hours 30 minutes
No one's gonna take that bet. It's a foregone conclusion they will do another after an additional twenty singles. Pop! was too much of a milestone to ignore as a format now.

My oft-cited dream is to have a TRUE retro "Time Capsule" boxset containing the album on LP/CD/MC, with RETRO items from past Erasure eras such as a reissued set of past enamel tour pins, a tour scarf, etc. What joy that would be to finally have.

"An Erasure message board? What will they think of next?"
Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 14 - 14
1 Pages 1 Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread