Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
The Complete Tomorrow's World Boxset
Forum Login
Login Name: Create a new account
Password:     Forgot password

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Tomorrow's World (2011)  ›  The Complete Tomorrow's World Boxset
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 1 Guests

The Complete Tomorrow's World Boxset  This thread currently has 15,737 views. Print
8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » All Recommend Thread
Pughie
November 3, 2012, 10:01am Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
158 days 11 hours 40 minutes
I watched the DVD last night (eventually),i like the first 2 promo videos,the third for FUWF doesn't really do
anything for me,sorry. The inclusion of the 'colourised' WISTBIAD would've been nice,its a better viewing experience
than the solely black & white version.

The TW short film is great thats the sort of thing i love,its like the old 'EPK's that appeared on the Hits! DVD.
The animation video isn't really one for multiple viewings it does get repetitive very quickly,the Andy in Tomorrow's
World 50th Anniversary video is good,especially for all you Andy is God fans!!  
The EIS winner video,i must confess i hadn't really watched that all the way through mainly due to the age and smooth running of my trusty 6 year old iBook!,but its very cleverly done .....  i just can't work out if its original 'old' footage or
brand new 'made to look old' footage,very well done.
The 'Simlish' video is a nice addition,but to people who have no idea what 'The Sims' or what 'Simlish' is then i'm afraid your going to be 100% confused and rubbing your head in dis-belief.

The 'Joint Sessions' videos are a nice addition,and great to see what happens before we actually get to see the 'live'
version at a gig near you. But they are all very 'samey',but as an addition to our growing collections and in this day
and age where any new material especially of this sort of thing like interviews,behind the scenes film etc its a great
package and something we all would never had thought would be available to us when the album was released last
year.
Anytime the EIS/Lexer want to join forces and do this sort of thing again then i'm right behind this sort of 'fan based'
release,this is a great addition and a very nice way of getting the whole TW project and its relative releases all in one place and easily accessible. Well done to all involved.

I know i know ive not even mentioned the 'bonus MP3' section,its the gift that keeps giving!

.......... the postman has just delivered,sadly not with anything for me,but this release is still not over until that
signed insert arrives!!

Am i in Wonderland or Tomorrow's World Be Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 45 - 112
popcrash1974
November 3, 2012, 4:17pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
42 minutes
Quoted from 94
Not meaning to sound disingenuous here but...

Is it just me - or is the audio on the CD VERY heavily compressed - to the extent of sounding distorted?

Would like to point out that I am not one of those who complained about the sound of Tomorrow's World...and that I felt the sound on the album was a tour de force of mixing and mastering for a 21st C audience.

But this sounds painful to me...

Noticed it when I first listened - and put it down to setting on my stereo, but having transferred it onto my PC (to make up some definitive playlists) there seems to be very little dynamic range in any of the songs - and some show signs of serious clipping. The most obvious ones are the Whole Lotta Love Reflex Mixes, Fill Us With Fire Keegan Radio Mix and WISTBIAD Simlish Version (Most notably that one in particular!)

It could just be me - but opening the files up on Adobe Audition shows them all to be limited 'flat' so I wonder if anyone else is noticing a problem.

Actually finding it a wee bit difficult to enjoy, so am gonna have to do some tinkering with settings - lest my eardrums rattle around like buggery again!!!!

It's still a fabtastic set tho - and really don't mean to be the negative one!!!!!

i too noticed the bad sound on some of the mixes, i thought maybe it was just me but turns out its not! hmmm what can we do about this?

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 46 - 112
Pughie
November 3, 2012, 4:23pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from popcrash1974

i too noticed the bad sound on some of the mixes, i thought maybe it was just me but turns out its not! hmmm what can we do about this?

Probably absolutely definately nothing.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 47 - 112
dannylee
November 3, 2012, 6:41pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
15 days 13 hours 50 minutes
Quoted from Pughie

Probably absolutely definately nothing.

Assuming it is not a case of inferior playback devices then it is worrying that it would be released like this.  Some older DA convertors may not be able to handle 0dbfs and mp3 conversion etc can also compound the problem.  I still haven't got my hands on it to take a look.  It may be able to be saved via audio restoration depending upon what the problem is however this shouldn't have to be done.

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 48 - 112
dayalet
November 4, 2012, 4:41am Report to Moderator
Guest User
Believe me - it's not a case of equipment...

I've tried it on a number of different systems over the last few days - from ridiculously cheap and cheerful through to professional audio mastering systems, and the problem is there on every one - and unfortunately the distortion is there - whether or not it is a problem is a matter of personal taste i suppose...

Although i do not work in music production, I do work in audio restoration (albeit part-time) - and unfortunately the problem stems from (to my ears) a very harsh limiter being applied to the finished tracks when they were being mastered for this cd. The Zero Decibel principle - if it stays the maximum volume for the entire song, people won't lose interest! That seems to be the consensus with mastering for CDs - for broadcasting I can understand more (due to needing a consistent sound across programming -how annoying are ad breaks where the sound suddenly jumps up!) - but for home listening it can be a very mixed blessing.

Reducing the initial input volume on these tracks will not help the matter - the distortion is now part of the track, so any restoration will still include it. You can minimise the problem - but not totally eradicate it.

It may be my ears at fault - as I am notoriously picky (for example - i Adore the mastering on the TW album - but find the single mixes of Be With You and Fill Us With Fire to be a painful listen - again because i find the Master to Zero Decibel approach to be unsympathetically done on these tracks...)

Having heard copies of the tracks in question online - where there is no apparent distortion - I can only assume that the mastering for this release wanted everything to have a consistent volume/range, and that is where the problem has creeped in. The online copies of the promos seem to be free of the issue, so i assume the physical copies they were made from don't either.

As I say - it may just be me being rather picky - am away to listen again - because I am willing to concede when I'm wrong! LOL!
E-mail Reply: 49 - 112
dannylee
November 4, 2012, 9:22am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
15 days 13 hours 50 minutes
Quoted from 94
Believe me - it's not a case of equipment...

I've tried it on a number of different systems over the last few days - from ridiculously cheap and cheerful through to professional audio mastering systems, and the problem is there on every one - and unfortunately the distortion is there - whether or not it is a problem is a matter of personal taste i suppose...

Although i do not work in music production, I do work in audio restoration (albeit part-time) - and unfortunately the problem stems from (to my ears) a very harsh limiter being applied to the finished tracks when they were being mastered for this cd. The Zero Decibel principle - if it stays the maximum volume for the entire song, people won't lose interest! That seems to be the consensus with mastering for CDs - for broadcasting I can understand more (due to needing a consistent sound across programming -how annoying are ad breaks where the sound suddenly jumps up!) - but for home listening it can be a very mixed blessing.

Reducing the initial input volume on these tracks will not help the matter - the distortion is now part of the track, so any restoration will still include it. You can minimise the problem - but not totally eradicate it.

It may be my ears at fault - as I am notoriously picky (for example - i Adore the mastering on the TW album - but find the single mixes of Be With You and Fill Us With Fire to be a painful listen - again because i find the Master to Zero Decibel approach to be unsympathetically done on these tracks...)

Having heard copies of the tracks in question online - where there is no apparent distortion - I can only assume that the mastering for this release wanted everything to have a consistent volume/range, and that is where the problem has creeped in. The online copies of the promos seem to be free of the issue, so i assume the physical copies they were made from don't either.

As I say - it may just be me being rather picky - am away to listen again - because I am willing to concede when I'm wrong! LOL!

Great post, thanks.  Sorry for not knowing your background was just trying to rule out converters (particularly with large intersample peaks) and lossy compression techniques can cause even more problems. As you say if the limiter is harsh at mastering stage then nothing can be done.  I do find this whole thing strange though as mastering engineers tend to have the best ears around and would certainly pick up on the artefacts of hard clipping from brickwall limiting. Even in the loudness war i would imagine that no mastering engineer actually likes the sound of hard clipping!

I also find it strange as Mastering engineers tend to also have strict rules over the mixes and the way they have been processed prior to mastering.

I'm certainly not a pro mastering engineer but I do master material for clients.

I'm sure your ears are great and you are entitled to be picky.

I'm not sure i even want to hear it now LOL!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 50 - 112
Danger
November 4, 2012, 10:36am Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
12 days 16 hours 39 minutes
Quoted from Pughie
I watched the DVD last night (eventually),

Any trace of Easter Eggs?

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 51 - 112
Pughie
November 4, 2012, 4:29pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Danger

Any trace of Easter Eggs?

Sadly not,well I didn't find one.

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 52 - 112
Danger
November 4, 2012, 8:52pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Quoted from Pughie

Sadly not,well I didn't find one.

Thanks anyway! I think that the bonus CD or even the DVD could contain even the 5 live tracks recorded for BBC last year during the radio session. Do they want to wait for TW 25th Anniversary Edition for giving us them?

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 53 - 112
Gus6
November 5, 2012, 5:17pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
2 hours 35 minutes
Got post today yeahhhhhh what comes on a card
Our Vincent and Andys signatures Christmas has come early
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 54 - 112
Pughie
November 5, 2012, 8:30pm Report to Moderator

Administrator Group
Posts Per Day
Time Online
I'm keeping an eye out on eBay for sales of the TW Boxset to see how well they are selling,the first that appeared
probably made the buyer and seller happy and sad at the same time!,as it sold for £40 which i would think made the
seller not that happy as now they are selling up to £97 the buyer on the other hand must be laughing as he/she got a
relative bargain.

1.Sold £40
2.Sold £89.99
3.Sold £97.51
4.Sold £67.75

4 items still bidding on (at time of posting) with 5 days to go on next two boxsets-
£26.99-bidding active
£25-bidding active
Start price £89.99
Start price £99.99

Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 55 - 112
Gaz H
November 5, 2012, 8:57pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
13 hours 57 minutes
Quoted from Gus6
Got post today yeahhhhhh what comes on a card
Our Vincent and Andys signatures Christmas has come early

Same here ,over the moon with it as it's the only thing I have that's signed.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 56 - 112
Danger
November 6, 2012, 2:27pm Report to Moderator

Maximum Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
Arrived yesterday, hurray!

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Reply: 57 - 112
popcrash1974
November 7, 2012, 4:07pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
42 minutes
ive emailed richard at the eis to see what can be done, hes asking for more info on the sound problems on the cd, would the people in the know be kind enough to email him as ive said ill try to get someone with a better understanding of the problem to explain to him as hes had no other emails on any problems with the audio quality of the cd.
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 58 - 112
popcrash1974
November 8, 2012, 5:28pm Report to Moderator
Baby Member
Posts Per Day
Time Online
42 minutes
he got back to me saying he hasnt recieved his own boxset so hasnt heard the final reease but is looking forward to eharing from others who hae picked up on the same audio problem, can anyone reply to this to let me theyve contacted him also as if theres a slim chance this can be rectified it would be great. i remember some other pop band recalling a load of their faulty sounding cds and replacing them in recent years so its not unimaginable
Logged Offline
Private Message Reply: 59 - 112
8 Pages « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 » All Recommend Thread
Print

erasure4rum     Erasure Studio Albums    Tomorrow's World (2011)  ›  The Complete Tomorrow's World Boxset

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread