Type Museum
Architectural style Avant-garde
Location Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Address Paternoster Row
Coordinates 53.3775°N 1.4660°WCoordinates: 53.3775°N 1.4660°W

Current tenants Sheffield Hallam University Students' Union

Completed February 1999
Inaugurated 1 March 1999
Cost £15 million (Lottery funded by £11m)
Owner Sheffield Hallam University
Technical details
Structural system Stainless steel drums
Design and construction
Architect Nigel Coates
Architecture firm Branson Coates
The National Centre for Popular Music was a museum in Sheffield, England, for contemporary music and culture, a £15 million project largely funded with contributions from the National Lottery, which opened on 1 March 1999, and closed in June 2000.

The building, designed by Branson Coates following an architectural design competition managed by RIBA Competitions, consists of four giant stainless steel drums, surrounding an atrium area, the upper floor of which has a glazed roof.[1]
Each of the drums has a rotating turret with a nozzle which is meant to turn with the wind and vent air. On the other side, an opening facing the wind takes inlet air down through wall cavities, being heated or cooled as required. Air is drawn out of the nozzle by buoyancy and wind pressure.[2]
The ground floor contained office space, a shop, a bar, a café and a further exhibition space. Access to this floor was free, with only the top floor forming the museum.

From Wonderland to the World Beyond

Pughie
Site Admin

Re: National Centre for Popular Music

Post by Pughie »

Pretentious

National Centre for Popular Music
Sheffield, UK
1 March 1999
‘Music For Multiple Dimensions’, was the first soundscape commissioned by the National Centre for Popular Music in Sheffield, and was performed there several times daily in the Soundscapes 3D auditorium.
Composed and recorded by Vince Clarke and Martyn Ware of Illustrious, this track later featured on the album ‘Pretentious’ released by Mute Records, and was the first album to realise the potential of 3D soundscapes.

Pughie
Site Admin

Re: National Centre for Popular Music

Post by Pughie »

Pughie wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 11:19 am
Pretentious

National Centre for Popular Music
Sheffield, UK
1 March 1999
‘Music For Multiple Dimensions’, was the first soundscape commissioned by the National Centre for Popular Music in Sheffield, and was performed there several times daily in the Soundscapes 3D auditorium.
Composed and recorded by Vince Clarke and Martyn Ware of Illustrious, this track later featured on the album ‘Pretentious’ released by Mute Records, and was the first album to realise the potential of 3D soundscapes.
I remember going to see this Museum Of Popular Music on November 14th 1999,it was the day after the EIS Circus Convention in Nottingham. I drove up with another fan Allison Potts (what happened to you?) It’s a pity I don’t have any photographic evidence of inside,but I remember going into the audio chamber that had speakers all around the room and you sat in the middle and they played a version of ‘Music For Multiple Dimensions’ I remember it having a different mix than the one that appears on ‘Pretentious’. It was a unique listening experience.
It’s a shame the museum only lasted around 12 months.

Return to “Vince Clarke News”