Erasure4rum Asks Team Torsten-Post Coital

Your questions answered
Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie » Thu May 09, 2019 9:50 am

Bitches & Gentlebastards,
Erasure4rum Asks now have a companion piece to the Ask Team Torsten feature-Post Coital is the second coming of Torsten,the afterglow of the main event, the moist tissue of the debauched nights entertainment.

In the first part we brought you the hopes and dreams of Barney,Christopher & newbie Matthew on the upcoming stage show Torsten in Queereteria in this new part we bring you the aftermath of the show, how it went and how they now feel.

We find out what the future holds for Torsten,for Lady Domina Bizarre and Variance 3. Recent interviews with Andy also reveal that the future of Torsten may well not end with the ending of the Torsten Trilogy,it may well not be the last we see of Saint Torsten.

So less of me,me,me,me,moi droning on, lets get on with the feature and don't forget to "Twitch you bitches!"

1. Well its been 17 shows, and 17 nights of happy ticket buyers, as all the reviews I've seen have been in the positive, how do you feel about how the shows have gone from your point of view?

BAB- It’s a unique position to try and make a concert of our Andy Bell is Torsten songs within a theatre show / sketch show with other characters and I think as long as the audience and critics come without the expectation that what we make is a full scale musical then our hybrid concert / theatre shows kind of work! I’ve been happy by the response of Torsten fans and wowed by the great distances some have travelled from Los Angeles, Berlin and New York internationally and from all parts of Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales and England as well as the multiple nights on which some of the audience come. It feels like we have a very cult and dedicated audience.

CF-I think the shows have gone very well and have got better and better as we went along. I thought there might be a few hiccups and slip-ups in the previews but, barring a few teething problems, everything went pretty well from the outset. As you get into the shows you naturally feel more comfortable and at home in your surroundings. The actors will try different slants on things to try to improve a joke or enhance and emotion or ad lib and have in jokes on stage between the ensemble. From my point of things, you start to feel you have more time over everything and you almost become a spectator of your own hands on the keys of the piano and are more aware of cue points, the click track, certain sounds or how an actor delivers a particular line. Even though each performance is essentially the same they all felt different with their own character and energy which is why live performance is always so exciting and vibrant.
We did tighten up a few small things after the previews but, other than that, I think it ended up how we wanted and maybe even exceeded our expectations in the end.

2. Now that it's over was there anything that you feel you could have changed or did it all pan out as you wanted?

BAB- I think the show was as good as we could expect with the 3 week rehearsal period. It panned out better that I would’ve expected thanks to the support and diligence of the Above The Stag Theatre technical and stage management staff - Michael and Andy; the set builders and designers Andrew, David and Lucas; Artistic Director Peter Bull and the show's director Robert McWhir. These theatre shows are intentionally overwritten surrealism and social criticism. It might appear as straightforward bawdy comedy, but, the larger than life characters are, in a sense, a warning of the narcissism inherent in ’stardom’ and the dumbing down that can arise when the media is owned by too few people!

CF-We changed a number of things during rehearsals and a few things after the previews but I think what we ended up with worked really well. This wasn't always evident in the rehearsals. You have to find your way through and see what best serves the script. Most mornings I started working at 7:30am on new theme tunes or fine tuning the songs taking bits out, rearranging them or changing the tempo etc before setting off for rehearsals. All the hard work was worth it for the end result.

3. The main core of Team Torsten Barney,Christopher & of course Andy has been a solid base for this trilogy, but this time we have the new faces joining Peter as Rupert,but the superstar turn from Matthew as Lady Domina has been a total joy to watch,in fact one interview said she should have her own show, what did you think of the all new Domina and would a Torsten spin off be something you would consider?

BAB-The Andy Bell is Torsten project has at its nucleus Andy, Chris and I. When it comes to additional characters for the stage show, we’ve had, so far, Rupert, Lady Domina, Young Daniel and Young Torsten. Matthew Baldwin was someone Andy and I both agreed we’d like as Lady Domina Bizarre after seeing her as the pantomime dame in two productions at the Above The Stag theatre. Matthew thought the script to be a ‘work of high art’ and Chris and I were pleasantly surprised by his singing ability. Lady Domina is a character I’d like to re-visit and I’m definitely staying in touch with Matthew to explore options on a song cycle we’ve prepared for the character.

CF-Matt is a fantastically versatile actor who thrives particularly, which he has said himself, as a pantomime dame. He stole the show from Andy on many a night becoming a well-loved yet ghastly character! Barney and I have discussed the potential of doing a Lady Domina Bizarre show for some time. We have written a one-woman show which has never seen the light of day. It would need reworking but all the essential elements are there for a potential LDB show. Matt would be in pole position to take on the eponymous role but we need to work things out first and then have discussions with Matt and/or others.

4. After the high of the shows, how are you feeling now,is it a case of your all fired up lets see where we can go next with Torsten or is it more lets leave it now for a while and see what happens later?

BAB-The future isn’t formed yet and you never know when inspiration will strike. I try not to pressure myself at all as to whether or when there will ever be another Torsten project. Chris, Andy and I are always open to working with each other again around our other jobs and commitments. We’re toying with the idea of an album of variant mixes of the Queereteria repertoire.

CF-I will treasure many fond memories of this fantastic experience. It is sad that it is now over but I am also glad to have completed what, for me, has essentially been 8 months of non-stop Torsten. We started recording the remaining 7 or 8 songs for the album in September after Andy had had a brief rest following the Erasure world tour. After that I mixed and mastered everything before starting work on the show in the new year. It has been relentless and I haven't had much spare time to myself, whilst juggling other commitments as well, but it has all been well worth it. So I feel now a short rest is in order to detach from everything before Barney and I reconvene. There are a few things we already have up our sleeve regarding the show songs themselves and Variance III. After that we'll have a think about things and see where we go from there.

(Edwin & me,the show tickets, me & Mike)
(Me & Andy,Queereteria CD signed back cover of booklet,Me & Peter Straker)

5. I was lucky enough to see the show a couple of times, some fans I know have been even more (up to 8!!,we know who you are) the Erasure fans are a hard bunch but loyal once your in the circle of trust, how has it been for you knowing you now have this loyal core of supporters who genuinely are loving what your doing even though it is so far removed from Erasure?

BAB-It has been very heartening to know that anyone adores the Torsten project as much as the 50 or so Erasure fans who come to the shows repeatedly. Chris and I know all your faces now and we thank you, bitches and gentlebastards all - your love and support is treasured!

CF-It is good to know that the Erasure fans have our back and are fully supportive of everything. It gives you the motivation to keep going and do more. It is a lot of hard work and it can make you question yourself sometimes. It is lovely to hear how the songs speak to people and how they often help to whisk them away from their daily lives or troubles. Many people identify with the songs on a personal, emotional level. There were a few audience members in tears during We Hadn't Slept For Twenty Years in the last show which was quite touching.

Erasure4rum Asks Matthew Baldwin aka Lady Domina Bizarre

1. Well its been 17 shows, and 17 nights of happy ticket buyers, as all the reviews I've seen have been in the positive. How do you feel about how the shows have gone from your point of view?

MB-The shows have gone very very well from my point of view. It seems I did a good job and everyone after the shows were highly complimentary. I felt a big obligation to Barney and Chris and Andy not to cock it up. They had faith I could do it. I didn’t try to look up Lana’s performance because I didn’t want to be intimidated, so I just did my own thing and I seem to have pulled it off.

2. Your portrayal of Lady Domina from a fans point of view was a total success story,ive not seen any negative comments at all,and was a complete joy to watch, what are your feelings now its over as to your character, have you grown to love her as much as we seem to have, or are you glad to hang up the nurses outfit?

MB-That is very gratifying indeed. Have I grown to love her? Absolutely! Add it to the list of Narcisists I have loved in my life. Playing a charming villain is about as fun as it can ever be when you act. You get to present a character that, given a choice, will always choose the wrong path, the selfish path. Well, we would all love to be relentlessly selfish and driven by gratifying our basest instincts. That’s why audiences love a charming villain! And a charming villain is what Barney gave me in his script. Because the audience can see her behaving selfishly, they have a lot of recognition, and recognition of faults and wrongdoing is what comedy is made from. Take a classic comic creation, anything from Aristophanes The Clouds to Frasier and mostly you find you are being presented with someone doing the wrong thing for reasons that we recognise (because we all face those same decisions in life). A comic villain is the same but with the volume turned up.

3. One reviewer has said that Domina should get her own show, you seem to have won over the press too, it must be a big boost for you has it been a surprise to you?, I'm sure Domina was certain she had done it fabulously!

MB-Domina was in no doubt how brilliant she was! Ha ha! That’s how Barney wrote her. It wasn’t a total surprise because I always had faith in the text. If I managed to take it from the page to the stage effectively then I am doubly delighted. A solo show for Domina... now there’s a thought!

4. Whats been your take on the mad world of hard core Erasure fans over the last few weeks?,you seem to have come out of it relatively unscathed.

MB-Hardcore Erasure fans have won my heart! I am glad they approved or I’m pretty sure I’d have woken up one day with a horses head in my bed! Ha ha. All the hardcore fans were unwaveringly kind and supportive to their hero, this project and all involved. What a fantastic fan base Andy and Vince have. To be honest they deserve it, I consider myself a fan too! Erasure’s music is exceptional and it spoke to me at a time when I was lonely and vulnerable (my early teens) and I needed something life affirming and beautiful. And there they were! Outsiders making music that was fun and not po-faced. Not too caught up in themselves, able to write amazing floor fillers, the music thrills me. Trust me, you’ve not lived until you’ve come off stage on a high and sung A Little Respect in a dressing room with Andy Bell! I should write a letter to my teenage self.

Cherry Red Records Andy Bell page for Torsten releases-
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/artist/andy-bell/

(Additional photos courtesy of Louisa Mitchell)

From Wonderland to the World Beyond

Pughie
Site Admin

Re: Erasure4rum Asks Team Torsten-Post Coital

Post by Pughie » Fri May 10, 2019 8:12 am

Now live to the public

From Wonderland to the World Beyond

Return to “Erasure4rum Ask’s & Other Features”