Wild!

The 4th long player from Erasure
Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Re: Wild!

Post by Tin Soldier » Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:09 am

kwerty is a romantic advice columnist in another life.

"Erasure message board code was written into my DNA during conception" :lol:

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:45 pm

Tin Soldier wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:09 am
kwerty is a romantic advice columnist in another life.
Not the satellite of love
But a laser
Shooting out its shiny tongue there.

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:32 am

phpBB [media]

From Wonderland to the World Beyond

mrblue

Post by mrblue » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:16 pm

kwerty wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:47 am
I mean. if his hunch is right, then there are only two tracks in the whole collection that he hasn't heard before. Why spoil it and make it just one by listening online in advance?

You know.. delayed gratification and all that. :)
Yep, you're exactly right kwerty. If indeed we are only getting 2 "new" tracks, I don't want to ruin what little new material there is. I learned that lesson years ago when I played Chorus (the single) over and over and over waiting for the album to come out!

So speaking of "new" material - in today's EIS newsletter, there's a link to the "previously unreleased" Piano Song. I won't be able to listen until I get home from work this evening, but maybe someone could listen and confirm or refute it being the same performance we already have from the Wild! Tour VHS/DVD. I'll certainly be updating with my thoughts later tonight after I compare them back to back.

And to follow that thought through - let's assume that it really is a previously unreleased and unheard performance of Piano Song. Why not give us a 3rd disc of the full concert?? Or most of the concert (ie, highlights), if it won't all fit on an 80-minute CD. "Never get angry at stupid record labels..."

mrblue

Post by mrblue » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:39 am

This "new" version of Piano Song is from the Wild! show at the Docklands Arena, December 11, 1989. The already released Wild! Live video (on VHS and recently on the FM2M DVD). Sure, this may be previously unreleased on CD, but "previously unreleased" is still a very dishonest way to describe it! It's not unusual for a new-to-CD track be labeled as such. They act as if we've just never heard this "previously unreleased" rare track from the vaults. Yea, /sarcasm

I've compared the 2 versions and they are indeed the same, and the easiest way to match is Andy's comment after the song: "Thank you very muchhhhhh. Very good evening to you all. Welcome ... to the Docklands Arena." Only in this "new" version, they edit (quickly fade out) right AFTER Andy says "Thank you very muchhh" I guess so you don't think to yourself "hey, what the hell? That's from the Wild! video"

And it's too early to tell for sure, but the "new" "previously unreleased" version (on YouTube) sounds really loud. I'm just going to assume this whole "remaster" will just be CRANKED TO 11. "Since you're older now, we turned it up LOUD for you. You fans don't give a shit anyway, thanks for buying it again!"

Slow inhale... slow exhale... never get angry at stupid people... never get angry at stupid people... Andy - it's really hard but I'm trying my best!

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 am

mrblue wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:39 am
This "new" version of Piano Song is from the Wild! show at the Docklands Arena, December 11, 1989. The already released Wild! Live video (on VHS and recently on the FM2M DVD). Sure, this may be previously unreleased on CD, but "previously unreleased" is still a very dishonest way to describe it! It's not unusual for a new-to-CD track be labeled as such. They act as if we've just never heard this "previously unreleased" rare track from the vaults. Yea, /sarcasm

I've compared the 2 versions and they are indeed the same, and the easiest way to match is Andy's comment after the song: "Thank you very muchhhhhh. Very good evening to you all. Welcome ... to the Docklands Arena." Only in this "new" version, they edit (quickly fade out) right AFTER Andy says "Thank you very muchhh" I guess so you don't think to yourself "hey, what the hell? That's from the Wild! video"

And it's too early to tell for sure, but the "new" "previously unreleased" version (on YouTube) sounds really loud. I'm just going to assume this whole "remaster" will just be CRANKED TO 11. "Since you're older now, we turned it up LOUD for you. You fans don't give a shit anyway, thanks for buying it again!"

Slow inhale... slow exhale... never get angry at stupid people... never get angry at stupid people... Andy - it's really hard but I'm trying my best!
This is what I’ve said from the start the ‘5 new unreleased’ tracks consist of two live tracks we already have,an all new remix we don’t need but completists will buy,the two desirable tracks are the acapella of Dreamlike State (which may well be a new named version of a previously released 12hr technicolour mix) I hope it’s a pure acapella & finally the real reason to buy the alternate version of How Many Times.
Plus the never ending variants in formats that don’t match up making these reissues look uneven and in thought about,and the ommision of a Wild! DVD (I know it’s in the FMTM set but all the others had a DVD and not everyone was fortunate to get the expensive boxset. It does match up with The Innocents hardback book version,personally I prefer the 3 disc jewel case as seen with Wonderland/The Circus reissues .

From Wonderland to the World Beyond

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:37 pm

mrblue wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:39 am

The mastering issue, if true, is disappointing, as is the video track included as "previously unreleased". The latter is rather deceitful, actually. Clipping the end off? I'm really surprised by it. There's surely more material that could've been included before they had to sink to that level.
Pughie wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:10 am
This is what I’ve said from the start the ‘5 new unreleased’ tracks consist of two live tracks we already have,an all new remix we don’t need but completists will buy,the two desirable tracks are the acapella of Dreamlike State (which may well be a new named version of a previously released 12hr technicolour mix) I hope it’s a pure acapella & finally the real reason to buy the alternate version of How Many Times.
Plus the never ending variants in formats that don’t match up making these reissues look uneven and in thought about,and the ommision of a Wild! DVD (I know it’s in the FMTM set but all the others had a DVD and not everyone was fortunate to get the expensive boxset. It does match up with The Innocents hardback book version,personally I prefer the 3 disc jewel case as seen with Wonderland/The Circus reissues .
Meh. Double-jewel case wasn't anything particularly special; even with the EIS slipcases.

No, as I love to repeat, unique "time capsule" boxsets for each, is the way to go. Each should be a universe unto itself, rather than fit some kind of cookie-cutter format. The idea and art of Wild! should have dictated the design, but we know money was the main deciding factor here. I don't blame BMG too much, as we are getting something versus nothing at all, but the album deserves better, and I would open my wallet for it.
Attachments
Erasure Innocents Bible Boxset.jpg
Erasure Wonderland Boxset.jpg

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:13 pm

New, manly-held, images from Lexer:

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:08 am

Gorgeous! Thanks for posting! 8-)

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:02 am

Slept on it, and realize it needs fur. Now, I can't sleep again thinking how Greg could have posted a petting video. Missed ASMR opportunity right there. ;)

Return to “Wild! (1989)(2019 Remaster)”