Erasure4rum Asks SoftWave About Club:Torsten!

Your questions answered
Pughie
Site Admin

Erasure4rum Asks SoftWave About Club:Torsten!

Post by Pughie »

Barney-
I’ve DJ’d at two London based clubs for the best part of the last decade; ‘Club Shoot!’ and ‘City Boys’. Andy also is a proficient curator of electronic dance-pop and also loves to DJ. It was an experiment born out of an absolute obsession with synth-pop dance that led the Torsten project to explore both a dancier and a more experimental side to our theatre songs. Hence the Variance imprint came into being.

I also run a record label called SFE as my day job and oversaw the creation of many albums released on my label as vinyl editions. Artists i’ve project managed vinyl LP releases by include Marc Almond, Jimmy Somerville, Brücken / Froese and Wolfgang Flür. It was an anomaly that i hadn’t yet created a vinyl LP for the Andy Bell is Torsten project and i felt that if there was to be a vinyl, it would compile all the most melodic dance orientated cuts from the Variance series as the vinyl might then be of use to DJs. I knew that the hardcore Torsten fan base would buy up the majority of the copies of the vinyl and so decided to create something really special, the product as an artwork in and of itself. The artwork was commissioned affordably to enable the vinyl LP to have a striking presence and to be a desirable object in its own right. The vinyl itself is a translucent shocking pink and there are only 500 copies. It is a product made for fans and collectors to be an object of intrigue and beauty. It is hoped that in years to come fans will chat amongst themselves and enquire ‘Do you have a copy of ‘Club Torsten?’ It is hoped that this rarity will be treasured and, to that end, three of the mixes on the collection are unique to it. They only exist on that vinyl as a way of saying thank you to the most dedicated of Torsten fans.

Christopher-
As ever, it was fun to collaborate with other artists on their remixes of Torsten songs. Cyber Monday were particularly excited to be working on the project and we had a number of invigorating emails back and forth discussing the direction of their mix of “Judgement”. Matt Pop always seems to hit the mark with very little effort and we also welcomed the contributions Bronski Beat, Shelter, Dancing With Ruby, Barry Harris and Vince Clarke. It was good to hear “Lead Me” and “Society, Society” again as these fell off of the regular albums onto the Variance collection. We are glad that SoftWave were keen to reenvision these and we were delighted with their skilfully imaginative mixes.

Erasure4rum Asks SoftWave

Erasure4rum Asks SoftWave about their all new Torsten Remixes for the upcoming Club:Torsten! Release.

SoftWave are a Danish band comprising of singer Catrine Christensen and technical wizard Jerry Olsen.

Taken from the Club:Torsten! Press Release-
‘Club Torsten!’ also has three completely brand new synth-pop dance remixes that have never been heard before and which are only on ‘Club Torsten!’ Two highly catchy, deeply melodic ‘Electro-Noir’ remixes by Danish synth-scene stalwarts SoftWave plus an exclusive remix of ‘Judgement’ by Cyber Monday.’

Cherryred records Andy Bell section-
https://www.cherryred.co.uk/artist/andy-bell/
Between writing & publishing this Ask feature Club:Torsten! Has now fully SOLD OUT

01. How did this remix project come about?

SoftWave: We were both very pleased being asked. Not something that happens every day. Working on an Andy Bell project was the closest we have ever been to one of our idols of Erasure. Vince Clarke and Andy Bell was the reason why we established the band back in 2014, our biggest inspiration.

Catrine: It all began 2 years ago. A huge SoftWave fan told me about Barney and said I had to look into his work. I did - and contacted him right away. I gave him feedback on his work and told him that I’d just found out about him and that SoftWave would be interested in a future collaboration if possible. But at that particularly moment he didn’t have anything for us – but to my biggest surprise 2 years later when I had forgot all about it (summer 2020) I suddenly received the best email EVER! “Would you like to do a remix for a Andy Bell is Torsten project?”. I couldn’t believe my own eyes! I remember me asking Jerry to read it as well – just to be sure…
I also remember we were watching Erasures live videos on YouTube very often and how much we were dreaming ourselves on a stage like them. Of course it was an impossible dream back then. But we never dropped the dream from our thoughts and I seriously believe that it was the reason why we kept moving forwards – as we had something to strive for, a goal. Last year when we visited Nordsø Records in Copenhagen to press our debut album ‘Game On’ we found out that Andy’s birthday was the same month – so we immediately pressed him a custom made LP in red. I’m not sure if it has something to do about how the remix come about – but it’s a lovely story, don’t you think?

02. Before you were involved in this project were you aware of the Torsten Trilogy?
Jerry: I had heard about it but I thought it was a bit of a peculiar thing, to be honest.
Catrine: It surely is I dived into it right after I got to know about Andy’s side projects. I was very impressed when I discovered how many there actually was (From Pop Star to Opera star, Andy Bell is Torsten, Electric Blue etc.). He is my greatest idol within synthpop-stars so I was kind of embarrassed that I wasn’t aware of his side projects before 2018. I was probably blinded by his role in Erasure. Hahaha…

Other Club Torsten Remixers include Vince Clarke,Shelter,Bronski Beat,Matt Pop,Barry Harris,Dancing With Ruby & Cyber Monday.

03. How were the choice of songs to remix finalised?,was it a case of you being told what tracks needed to be remixed or did you say what songs you would be interested in remixing?

Jerry: We were told what tracks to work on and the particular style should be something like SoftWave/old Depeche Mode – Music for the masses.

04. What was your vision for the remixes before you started working on them,and did it end up as you thought?

Jerry: At first I was very unsure what to do with them because the tracks are different from the usual pop form. To be honest I doubted if I was able to come up with anything good at all. But as this was our biggest dream, to work with something that had to do with Andy/Erasure I knew I just had to pull through. So I took a week off of work and just started working on ‘Lead Me’ and ideas just came to me. I think both remixes turned out better than I could have hoped for. I’m very satisfied.

05. Andy has said some very nice comments about your work,we’ve even seen him sporting a SoftWave teeshirt!,did this put any pressure on you to get it right?

SoftWave: Of course. But it’s also very precious to us to receive feedback from Andy himself. It surely makes us fight even more to do our best to thank him by supporting and promoting the project the best we can.
Jerry: This being the most important project for us, it undoubtedly put pressure on me music/sound wise, not only did I have to make something that sounded interesting but I also had to hit within a specific style.
Catrine: After Andy’s birthday party (2019) we were tagged in a lot of photos on social media… Andy was wearing our t-shirt! What an amazing feeling that was! Andy has been so kind to us even though we haven’t met him yet – he’s amazing <3 2nd time he was wearing our t-shirt was right before the announcement of the remix collaboration, so of course it all became more real and putted pressure on us, but in a good way.

Quotes from Andy

06. Andy has quoted (as seen above) that he wasn’t a fan of the original ‘Lead Me’ version,which if you didn’t know originally in its first life was a track written for 80’s chart star Marilyn. How does that make you feel knowing that in Andy’s opinion you’ve improved it from the original?

SoftWave: Perfectly splendored! We never saw that coming.
Jerry: I am so honored by Andy’s quotes, and I’m very surprised that Andy wasn’t a fan of the original ‘Lead Me’. That I have been able to improve it makes me very happy.
Catrine: I remember myself screaming out loud of pure joy when reading each quote from Andy. I have never been happier in my whole music career. Andy was my surreal goal (I was always told) – but after receiving 4 long quotes which really had a great impact on the both of us, it makes you feel extremely joyful and satisfied of all you have done all these years to reach this particular moment. Because when something like this happens, everything seems surreal. Still can’t believe it!
‘Lead Me’ was the first remix we did. It was a huge challenge for me as a singer and fan of Andy. I had nerves just by knowing that I was going to record vocals to back Andy’s lead vocal. I wasn’t sure how much I was allowed to add, so I decided to record light backing vocals. But after we had some feedback on it ‘Lead Me’ it increased my self-confidence for ‘Society, Society’, which quickly became my favorite of these 2 remixes we did.

07. ‘Society,Society’ is one of only a few Torsten tracks that havn’t made the original Torsten albums,it’s only appeared as a part of ‘Senseless Symphony’ from Variance II,how do you start thinking up what you can do with a song your asked to remix?

Jerry: Originally we were actually asked to do a medley of ‘Lead Me’ and ‘Society, Society’ but I thought that it would be too hard. After all, at the time, I was unsure if I was able to do anything with ‘Lead Me’ so to do a medley of two songs… But Barney said we could do two remixes if we wanted, and we did! For ‘Society, Society’ I knew from the start that it had to be a bit more up-tempo and have a bit more edge because ‘Lead Me’ is quite slow. I didn’t have a complete idea how the end result should sound. I’m very much into experimentation and just flow with ideas that come up as I go along.
Catrine: In ‘Society, Society’ I think me and Andy’s vocals work perfectly together. A great contrast especially in the chorus. As I know Andy likes opera, I came up with the idea of adding an opera-vocal in the middle of the song. I’m glad I did, because it’s one of my favorite parts in the song. It would sound beautiful live.

Andy with his advanced promo copy of the album

08. We have seen your impressive cover of OMD’s Souvenir, you previously did an Erasure cover of ‘Siren Song’ which in terms of Erasure’s back catalogue is quite an unusual choice, I’ve read it was a fan suggestion,but you have also stated that if you cover another Erasure song it will be your choice, if pushed what would that choice be?

Catrine: Our cover version of ‘Siren Song’ was actually not suggested by a fan (even though a lot of fans often suggest us to cover Erasure songs). No, this song was chosen in collaboration with Elektrokor/Lukaskoret (Electro choir) when we were invited to guest them to their concert in a Danish church last year. Later we invited them as guests to our release party of our debut album ‘Game On’.
Jerry: That’s a though one as there are so many great Erasure songs to choose from. We have some in mind but I won’t mention a particular song. But it will definitely be a track that is way more up-tempo than Siren song. Also we think it has to have meaning when you do a cover track, like for instance what we did for OMD. After touring with them we thought it was a very nice gesture to make a cover song for them as a way of saying thank you to them.

09. You’ve previously toured with OMD, seeing as Erasure are a big influence on SoftWave maybe there is a chance of tour support for The Neon Tour,how would you feel about that opportunity?

SoftWave: That would be like a dream come true! If we are lucky to get this opportunity we’ll participate in as many dates as possible and make our live show the best ever seen before to show how much it means to us. We’re afraid that corona restrictions will ruin our chances, but if we just got the chance to support them on the Nordic leg of the tour or at least in our hometown Copenhagen – that would be just amazing!

Andy sporting his Softwave teeshirt

10. What’s next for SoftWave?

SoftWave: That would be to finish the production of our 2nd album, which we hope to release during 2021, especially if we got the chance to support Erasure - that would definitely help us speed up the production! And we need that. To combine our dream of supporting Erasure with the release of our 2nd album – would be the best thing that could ever happen to us <3

Previous SoftWave releases-

http://www.softwavemusic.com/

https://www.facebook.com/SoftWaveMusic/

https://www.instagram.com/softwave_music/

https://mobile.twitter.com/SoftWaveMusic

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCMdtYhtS6JwJwOFRoTCG23A

From Wonderland to the World Beyond
Pughie
Site Admin

Re: Erasure4rum Asks SoftWave About Club:Torsten!

Post by Pughie »

Enjoy the latest ‘Ask’ feature only on Erasure4rum.
Ask SoftWave.

(222)

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

:party:

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

My copy has arrived on day of release well done Cherry Red.

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

Pughie wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:41 pm It didn’t take long......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164686843412

And another-
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233885204187
To quote Erasure-“the boy has no shame”

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

30% off all SoftWave CD’s today only for Halloween.

https://softwave.bandcamp.com/

Return to “Erasure4rum Ask’s & Other Features”