Record Collector Issue 514 January 2021

Pughie
Site Admin

Re: Record Collector Issue 514 January 2021

Post by Pughie »

MikeyC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 am
moxxey wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 pm
MikeyC wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:29 pm Some of Andy’s album memories are on the slightly dark side...
So interesting when you read ABBA-esque was supposed to be an album. A loose London-based friend at the time was close to someone at Mute's PR department and he could get really early promos. I distinctly remember him telling me about Erasure working on ABBA tracks and discussed 6 and that they'd definitely include Summer Night City and Mamma Mia. For some reason, they were dropped from the release and it was put out as a 4-track.

To this day I still wish that we'd hear those two tracks. My guess is though, they weren't recorded, just proposed.

The same 'friend' once played me a very early release of Love To Hate You which I thought was amazing. Felt like it was months before Chorus was released. He wouldn't give me the vinyl though. Was told it couldn't be lent to anyone at any cost! Played, twice, but that was it. Memories!

Very cool info!! 😎
As much as Mute say ‘the vaults are empty’ we alll know this to be false,like that LTHY track (whatever that version was) plus others we know are urban myths,like the famous Client remixes of Oh L’Amour that Vince said was so bad they will never be released.
The Neon singles sets we know we now must have all the versions edits,dubs,club mixes etc,so there must be versions like dub mixes/club mixes/instrumentals for most singles that have never seen the light of day,like the Drama! (Dogmatix vocal mix) which we definitely know exists as GRN has played it in his dj mixes.

#Megaboxsetdeluxesuperiorversion

From Wonderland to the World Beyond
AaronLancs

Re: Record Collector Issue 514 January 2021

Post by AaronLancs »

Pughie wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:23 am
MikeyC wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 3:09 am
moxxey wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:56 pm
MikeyC wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:29 pm Some of Andy’s album memories are on the slightly dark side...
So interesting when you read ABBA-esque was supposed to be an album. A loose London-based friend at the time was close to someone at Mute's PR department and he could get really early promos. I distinctly remember him telling me about Erasure working on ABBA tracks and discussed 6 and that they'd definitely include Summer Night City and Mamma Mia. For some reason, they were dropped from the release and it was put out as a 4-track.

To this day I still wish that we'd hear those two tracks. My guess is though, they weren't recorded, just proposed.

The same 'friend' once played me a very early release of Love To Hate You which I thought was amazing. Felt like it was months before Chorus was released. He wouldn't give me the vinyl though. Was told it couldn't be lent to anyone at any cost! Played, twice, but that was it. Memories!

Very cool info!! 😎
As much as Mute say ‘the vaults are empty’ we alll know this to be false,like that LTHY track (whatever that version was) plus others we know are urban myths,like the famous Client remixes of Oh L’Amour that Vince said was so bad they will never be released.
The Neon singles sets we know we now must have all the versions edits,dubs,club mixes etc,so there must be versions like dub mixes/club mixes/instrumentals for most singles that have never seen the light of day,like the Drama! (Dogmatix vocal mix) which we definitely know exists as GRN has played it in his dj mixes.

#Megaboxsetdeluxesuperiorversion
I think for me as I analyse it is the following:

THE OFFICIAL VAULT
Could this be the stuff that has been given "offficial" approval for use as singles material. Remixes and the like. Thus unless it has been given a "Yes" then it is not consered "offical' by Mute / EMI / BMG standards. Even if the track / mix / whatever may not see the light of day.

THE UNOFFICIAL VAULT
The rest of the material discovered later on. Also includes mixes that were rejected such as the Phil Harding Mix of LTHY for example.

Just wondering if with all of the machinations that have gone on at Mute / EMI / BMG that is how they class things these days.

Longing to sail on through the night to the stars.
"All Through The Years" - I Say, I Say, I Say

Return to “News”