I Say I Say I Say

A cartoon Erasure visit an enchanted forest
Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Re: I Say I Say I Say

Post by Tin Soldier » Fri May 17, 2019 10:37 am

Mike Cosford is hugely underrated, and a genuinely nice fellow to speak with.

In response to a question I asked some years ago about some additional ISISIS artwork done:
Mike Cosford wrote:The cover you mention I believe was going to be for “Blues Away” if I recall correctly - I think it was me playing around with the word ‘blue’ that linked it to a cold blue winter scene ( I’m afraid that’s the way my mind works ! )
And a mystery was solved. ;)
Blues Away.jpg

"Erasure message board code was written into my DNA during conception" :lol:

mrblue

Post by mrblue » Fri May 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Very cool! So Blues Away was to be the 4th single from I Say?? I wonder if we could ever get that confirmed from Vince, Andy or Mute.

I'm trying to picture an alternate offshoot universe where Blues Away was released as a single with that artwork... and I suppose it works. I think All Through The Years or So The Story Goes would work well with the wintry artwork too, though I just can't see how any of those 3 would have been a strong single - and I suppose Mute didn't either at the time.

I still wonder why the Always video was set in winter, when the artwork was so unabashedly spring-y (and the song itself always feels "warm" to me). I don't mean to knock the video, because it is a good one, but it seems like they should have kept the spring theme.
Rating: 50%

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier » Sat May 18, 2019 1:38 am

Me, I'm good with Mike's recollection. I have more doubt that V&A would remember than the guy commissioned to do the artwork for it. ;)

Still, did it get to a stage that a 7" version was done, or even a remix? That's tantalizing, but with FMTM and other releases, one wonders if we'd have heard such tracks by now.

"Erasure message board code was written into my DNA during conception" :lol:

chemicalboy

Post by chemicalboy » Tue May 21, 2019 4:52 pm

Pughie wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 9:52 am
All the FaceBook posts about this album being 25 years old,here’s a tribute to all the artwork which was just perfection all round and that logo has still yet to be beaten.

Take(s) Me Back......If its possible to wish an album a Happy Birthday, then Happy Birthday. :)

Uttering Rubbish and Associating Words.......

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Wed May 22, 2019 12:24 am

^^ such gorgeous artwork!! 8-)

Return to “I Say I Say I Say (1994)”