Blue Savannah Record Store Day 2020

The 4th long player from Erasure
Pughie
Site Admin

Re: Blue Savannah Record Store Day 2020

Post by Pughie »

mrblue wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:04 pm Something has bothered me about Vince's Blue Savannah remix. It seems that Vince used the vocals from an early or demo version (with slightly different lyrics), and he did the same thing for his Waiting For The Day remix included in FM2M.

We have never heard this demo version of Blue Savannah, as far as I'm aware. Erasure and Mute keep saying that they have emptied their vaults and there are no other buried treasures to release, but obviously that is not true. :(
Maybe they have the original tapes with extra vocals?,another example is the 'Sometimes' lyrics that are included in the Hits! Megamix.

From Wonderland to the World Beyond
MikeyC

Post by MikeyC »

mrblue wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:04 pm Something has bothered me about Vince's Blue Savannah remix. It seems that Vince used the vocals from an early or demo version (with slightly different lyrics), and he did the same thing for his Waiting For The Day remix included in FM2M.

We have never heard this demo version of Blue Savannah, as far as I'm aware. Erasure and Mute keep saying that they have emptied their vaults and there are no other buried treasures to release, but obviously that is not true. :(
Agreed! It’s fascinating and mysterious!

A few years ago at Christmas time, Vince and Andy did an extended Q&A after us fans were invited to ask questions. It wasn’t long after From Moscow To Mars was released and I was so passionate - and curious - about the new version of Waiting For The Day which contained previously unheard vocals and lyrics. So I asked them about it (why this version was used) and Vince simply answered that he couldn’t remember and had no idea.

Oh well! 😎

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

ERASURE: THE RECORD STORE DAY 'BLUE SAVANNAH EP' WILL BE RELEASED DIGITALLY AT THE END OF THE YEAR

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that the digital version of Erasure's Record Store Day 'Blue Savannah EP' was in the pipeline, and for those of you keen to stream or download the eight tracks which were featured on the 12" vinyl EP earlier this year, the wait it almost over! The 'Blue Savannah EP' will be available on all tip-top streaming and download platforms, including iTunes and Spotify, from December 28th which makes it a lovely way to fill that tricky gap between Christmas and New Year! I'm afraid that for all the usual reasons this news doesn't apply to those of you in North America where the Erasure catalogue is looked after by a different record label. Here's the 'Blue Savannah EP' tracklisting...
Blue Savannah (Vince Clarke Remix) / Runaround On The Underground / Blue Savannah (Mark Saunders 12″ Remix) / Blue Savannah (Blue Dub) / Blue Savannah (Out Of The Blue Mix) / NO G.D.M / Blue Savannah (Der Deutsche Mix I) / Blue Savannah (Remix Edit)

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC »

“I'm afraid that for all the usual reasons this news doesn't apply to those of you in North America where the Erasure catalogue is looked after by a different record label.”

Hate when that happens!! 🤬

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie »

MikeyC wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 4:21 am “I'm afraid that for all the usual reasons this news doesn't apply to those of you in North America where the Erasure catalogue is looked after by a different record label.”

Hate when that happens!! 🤬

Which now seems to be every release. Not good for US fans.

AaronLancs

Post by AaronLancs »

Two Points:

First, yay a release I'm looking forward to.

Second, anyone know who handles Mute's (Records and Artists) stuff in the US? Just wondering.

Longing to sail on through the night to the stars.
"All Through The Years" - I Say, I Say, I Say
kwerty

Post by kwerty »

AaronLancs wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 11:43 am Second, anyone know who handles Mute's (Records and Artists) stuff in the US? Just wondering.
I think currently it's Mute themselves - although I'm not certain of that without investigating! One of our US fans could maybe tell us.

However, with a release like this one it's not important who it currently is but who it used to be, as they are the owners of the copyright in that territory.

My understanding is that the problem with a release like this is that Mute don't own the copyright and publishing rights to a large portion of Erasure''s back catalogue. In the USA, all of their classic back catalogue is owned by Warner Music Group. Erasure originally signed a publishing deal with Sire, then Elektra and then Maverick, all of which were subsidiaries of WMG.

All of which means Mute doesn't have much control over what they can do with the recordings in the USA. Not without it being complicated anyway- and possibly more costly. That at least is my understanding of the issue.

As an aside, ever since Mute was bought out by EMI, they also no longer own the publishing rights to most or Erasure's back catalogue in the UK either. And since EMI folded, BMG are the new copyright owners, but Mute have a much closer working relationship with them than they do with Warner in the USA.

ETA: By 'back catalogue', I mainly mean at least everything from 'Wonderland' through to 'Cowboy'. WMG don't own anything after then I don't think.

AaronLancs

Post by AaronLancs »

Dropped overnight on Spotify everybody:
Rating: 25%

Longing to sail on through the night to the stars.
"All Through The Years" - I Say, I Say, I Say
Stonefree

Post by Stonefree »

Same here in Denmark in iTunes already

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC »

“Except for those in North America.”

Return to “Wild! (1989)(2019 Remaster)”