HMV on the brink of collapse

Non-Erasure chat & discussions,or stuff & nonsense
Cesar

HMV on the brink of collapse

Post by Cesar » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:48 pm

[superdeluxeedition.com] HMV on the brink of collapse
Given the current situation, and the uncertainty, SDE advises that you don’t buy anything online from HMV for the time being. For now, stores will remain open.
César

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Re: HMV on the brink of collapse

Post by Tin Soldier » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Different situation, but I'd advise similarly with KMart and Sears in the USA right now.

Still, the loss of HMV would be tragic. They held on for so long after Tower, Virgin and others faded away. I'd hoped to set foot in a UK HMV one day. A shame if I never do.
"Erasure message board code was written into my DNA during conception" :lol:

Mikedepaz

Post by Mikedepaz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 am

Sears and Kmart have long overstayed their time. It's a crappy bunch of stores that need to close

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 am

I'm sad for the youth who will never know the joys of enjoying a record store and flipping through albums, CDs, etc.

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:30 am

MikeyC wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:00 am
I'm sad for the youth who will never know the joys of enjoying a record store and flipping through albums, CDs, etc.

I made a decision to stop buying CDs as they seem to be piling up everywhere (apart from A&V / Erasure releases),but last week whilst browsing some generic 80’s compilations I found a 5disc album for £3 with a track from a fav group of mine who had no hit singles but I’ve never seen any track by them on CD. I now have it!,it sounds great on CD in the car.

For whoever is interested it’s by Set The Tone and the track is called Dance Sucker.
From Wonderland to the World Beyond

Mikedepaz

Post by Mikedepaz » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:01 pm

So is this a No Hit Wonder? :P :P

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:51 pm

Mikedepaz wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 am
Sears and Kmart have long overstayed their time. It's a crappy bunch of stores that need to close
KMart was always a discount retailer, and their loss is no huge upset, but Sears helped make America as we know it. People bought houses through Sears. No Mike, the loss of Sears, at least in this fashion, is a tragedy from that standpoint.

That said, going back OT, I cried more when Tower closed. ;)
"Erasure message board code was written into my DNA during conception" :lol:

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:47 pm

Tin Soldier wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:51 pm
Mikedepaz wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:28 am
KMart was always a discount retailer, and their loss is no huge upset, but Sears helped make America as we know it. People bought houses through Sears. No Mike, the loss of Sears, at least in this fashion, is a tragedy from that standpoint.

That said, going back OT, I cried more when Tower closed. ;)
OMG, the Tower in the Village was like a second home for so many years. And Vince and Andy showed up there on more than one occasion for signings, etc. That was a huge disappointment when it (and all Tower stores) closed.

I also highly recommend the documentary about Tower Records (directed by Tom Hanks' son) which is about 15 minutes too long but had me in tears!!

Return to “Other Topics”