OMD

mrblue

Re: OMD

Post by mrblue » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:14 pm

I received my Souvenir boxset yesterday (finally!). It's a nice set though I didn't have much time to listen or watch any of it. I was only able to listen to the first half of the unreleased demos disc and didn't even crack open the hardcover book.

My first impression is that it reminds me a lot of Erasure's FM2M box: a career-spanning anthology with singles discs, a disc of rarities and DVD(s). It seems heavy on the live material, but I'm ok with that since I don't have many OMD live shows. A disc or two of new or obscure mixes would have been a nice touch, especially for the price.

I'm curious about the title of the demos disc: Unreleased Vol. 1. That implies that a Vol. 2 must be forthcoming, right?? I have to admit that the demos I did listen to were a tad underwhelming, but I say that with hesitation. I need to give them a better listen later. There is a reason tracks go unreleased in the first place, usually because they aren't the strongest tracks (though quite the opposite with several "unreleased" Erasure tracks, like Earth and My Love, which are divine!).

I'll spend some quality time with the rest of the set over the weekend and report back :D
Rating: 50%

mrblue

Post by mrblue » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Over the last few days, I've been in OMD heaven as I finally had time to enjoy everything in the Souvenir boxset. A few more thoughts:

I would have liked the box to have been similar to FM2M, in that there should be more discs of material to celebrate their entire career. OMD have tons of b-sides that haven't been re-released afaik. Some have probably never been on CD. I'm not an expert on every OMD single release and for a fan like me, the inclusion of a lot of extras would have been most welcome. A disc of mixes would have been nice too, and easy.

The singles discs are good, but like Erasure, I have all the singles. But of course, they are all wonderful to listen to and it's nice to have all the 7" versions to date. For instance, the included version of Messages is the 7" version, rather than the "normal" 10" version. The unreleased disc is... ok. Reading about it in the book was perhaps more exciting than some of the tracks. I imagine it was pretty interesting for them to dig back through their Universal archives, find tracks and snippets that they hadn't heard in 30+ years. The tracks themselves are nothing special, aside from being historical curiosities. The 4th and 5th CDs are live and I was certainly taken with CD5, the 1983 show at Hammersmith Odeon. It's delightful.

DVD1 are the BBC TV performances, which are nice to have but by the time I got to DVD2, I admit I was a bit burned out on hearing Enola Gay and Electricity. (Too much of a good thing, right?!) Both shows on DVD2 are great and it was very interesting seeing some under-performed songs like White Trash. Andy has such an unusual voice, and I love it, but I wonder what someone who knew none of their songs would think if that was the first OMD song they heard. There are also 2 promo/interview bits with Peter Powell during the 85 show which were enlightening. I had always wondered how Tesla Girls came about!

The highlight of DVD2 is Crush - The Movie, for me. I had never seen it and didn't even know it existed. (It's ok, in the US OMD had absolutely no presence here except If You Leave. I mean, I thought Erasure got no love here, but OMD might as well be rotten liver.) The documentary shows the behind-the-scenes recordings and it's fascinating viewing, mainly because I still don't know a lot about Andy and Paul and how they made/make their music. Watching Andy sing The Native Daughters of the Golden West gave me chills. He claims afterwards that singing it "took years off his life" and I believe him (though I hope it's not true!) I also had no idea what 88 Seconds in Greensboro was about, and well I won't get off on a tangent. Watching the doc made me appreciate the album even more, which is definitely due for a deluxe remastered edition.

The book is nicely laid out and has full page artwork from all their singles. There are also some artwork prints included which are nice quality, but they'll likely stay in their sleeve forever. I'd hate to ruin one.

Overall, there's a lot of material in the Souvenir boxset to love, but I wish there had been more. Maybe around the 50 year mark we'll see an even bigger, deluxer boxset with all their b-sides collected, some mixes, and maybe an Unreleased Vol. 2. In the meantime, I'm so glad Andy, Paul and the crew are still making music and I hope they keep going for a long time.
Rating: 100%

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:20 am

Thanks, mrblue, for all that detail and that in-depth review!! Much appreciated!!

Pughie
Site Admin

Post by Pughie » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:33 am

From Wonderland to the World Beyond

Return to “Synthpop”