The Many Faces of Depeche Mode

mrblue

Post by mrblue » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:23 pm

I recently found out about this 3CD release: The Many Faces of Depeche Mode. The track listing has some great stuff, including some tracks that have never been on CD before (I could be wrong on this point), plus the price is really cheap. It's only about $11 on eBay right now with free shipping in the US.

The collection includes lots of side projects of different DM members, a disc of cover versions, and disc of mixes and artists that influenced DM. Some of the Vince-specific tracks include Girl Authority's cover of Let's Get Together, Vince's mixes of Franz Ferdinand, Blancmange, Billie Ray Martin and Dubfire & Miss Kittin. (There are also other "Many Faces of" collections of The Cure, Joy Division, Queen and others, but sadly no Erasure!)

DISC 1:
1. Null+Void Feat. Dave Gahan - Where I Wait
2. To Rococo Rot - Cars (Sunroof Remix By Daniel Miller & Gareth Jones)
3. DM Reconstructed - Ice Machine
4. Nouvelle Vague Feat Martin Gore - Master and Servant
5. Señor Coconut - Smooth Operator (Martin Gore In-Disguise Mix)
6. Real to Real Feat. Alan Wilder - White Man Reggae
7. Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls (Vince Clarke Mix)
8. Dubfire & Miss Kittin - Ride (Vince Clarke Remix)
9. DM Reconstructed - Radio News
10. The Korgis Feat. Alan Wilder - If I Had You
11. West India Company Feat. Vince Clarke - Ave Maria
12. Sixtoes Feat. Dave Gahan - Low Guns
13. Bomb the Bass Feat. Martin Gore - Milakaia
14. Dede Feat. Alan Wilder - Calling the Clock

DISC 2:
1. Spiral - Enjoy the Silence
2. Skip Solder - I Feel You
3. Ecko Present Bossardo - Everything Counts
4. Transient - Never Let Me Down Again
5. Skip Solder - Personal Jesus
6. Enrico Cacace - Policy of Truth
7. Minus Sign - Behind the Wheel
8. Spiral - Black Celebration
9. Groove Messengers - I Feel You
10. Enrico Cacace - It's No Good
11. Skip Solder - World in My Eyes
12. Flux - People Are People
13. Transient - Master and Servant
14. The Left - Everything Counts

DISC 3:
1. Powerplant & Kraftwerk - Tour de France
2. Blancmange - Living on the Ceiling (Vince Clarke Remix)
3. Billie Ray Martin - Sweet Suburban Disco (Vince Clarke Remix)
4. Angelspit - Velocity
5. Girl Authority - Let's Get Together
6. Tuxedomoon - in a Manner of Speaking
7. Joe Crow - Compulsion
8. Thalia Zedek - Candy Says
9. The Cure - Boys Don't Cry
10. David Bowie - Heroes
11. Elvis Presley - Blue Moon of Kentucky
12. Louis Armstrong - Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherles Child
13. Judy Garland - Lost in the Stars

An incontrovertible influence within the electro-indie music realm, Depeche Mode went from being a cult, fringe act to stadium megastars, unusual for a band that has strived to maintain it's own identity. They were one of the first acts to establish a sound based completely around the use of synthesizers, and although they began their existence as a bouncy dance-pop outfit, they gradually developed a darker, more dramatic sound that ultimately positioned them as one of the most successful alternative bands of all time. In The Many Faces of Depeche Mode we will explore a different side of them, including collaborations, their side projects, their influences, plus a revision of their fantastic catalog. With fantastic artwork and remastered sound, The Many Faces of Depeche Mode is the ultima addition to the Many Faces collection, and also remember that the album is not available on streaming platforms!

MikeyC

Re: The Many Faces of Depeche Mode

Post by MikeyC » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:30 am

Love that tracklisting! Thanks for posting! 8-)

mrblue

Post by mrblue » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:21 pm

Yea me too Mikey! For a (semi-official) DM release, it's surprisingly Vince-heavy. I've purchased the Vince mixes from the iTunes Store, but it will be nice to have copies on CD. The same goes for West India Company / Ave Maria (Om Ganesha) which if I'm not mistaken was only released on vinyl. I have the track from the UTTON collection, and I'm looking forward to a lossless, higher-quality copy.

mrblue

Post by mrblue » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:52 pm

Just a quick follow-up about this release for anyone interested. I received my copy the other day and it's a nice foldout digipak. Nothing wrong presentation-wise.

Content-wise, well that's debatable. Personally, I like almost everything on these 3 discs, because as a Vince fan, there's a lot of great stuff. But if I were -only- a big Depeche Mode fan, I would be scratching my head and what's included here. All of the Vince stuff I already have, but most of it was purchased from the iTunes store so it's nice to have it on CD.

Disc 1 has side projects and mixes done by various DM members. 5 of the 14 were either written or mixed by Vince! The highlight of this disc for me is Ave Maria (Om Ganesha) on CD. Sounds great and I just love that track!

Disc 2 has various DM covers, but nothing that will just blow you away. DM covers are a dime a dozen, sure. Strangely, I Feel You and Everything Counts are covered twice.

Disc 3 is certainly the weirdest. Supposedly DM "influences and mixes", many of these tracks seem to have almost nothing to do with DM!
1. This version of Tour de France is mellower, like background music. OK maybe most DM fans already have Tour de France and they didn't want to include something everyone already has.
2. and 3. are Vince mixes. Blancmange I understand but the 2nd mix is very disco-y and not Depeche-y. Sure it's a Vince mix, but seems out of place.
4. This track also seems very out of place. Who are Angelspit and are they really an influence of DM? It's industrial music, and not too bad, but what is it doing here?
5. Let's Get Together was penned by Vince and this is the sticky sweet bubble gum cover. In many ways, this song is ideal for this kind of treatment, but it's never something you want to listen to often. And it's strange hearing 10-year-old kids' pop following an industrial track!
6, 7, and 12 are originals from MLG's Counterfeit EP. OK, these I understand.
8. Candy Says was originally by Velvet Underground but they include a cover by a no-name artist.
9. Boys Don't Cry is a live version. Were DM influenced by early Cure? Sure, why not.
10. Heroes is a live version. Again this one makes sense but I guess it was cheaper to include a live version instead of the original.
11. Blue Moon of Kentucky by Elvis? Uh ok... I really have no idea why this is on here??
13. Lost in the Stars by Judy Garland. And we finish with an old timey musical number, covered by MLG on his Counterfeit^2 album.

The collection is all over the place, musically. Many hardcore DM fans may be unhappy with it but for the price, it's not terrible but mainly for the Disc 1 stuff and the Vince mixes on CD.

MikeyC

Post by MikeyC » Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:10 am

Thanks for the great details!! 8-)

Return to “Depeche Mode”