Blackpool Lights Switch On (2005)

Andy's solo live events
Pughie
Site Admin

Blackpool Lights Switch On (2005)

Post by Pughie »

Ive just got back from Blackpool lights switch on,it was great to see Erasure live again for what was really a surprise performance without Vince,but his backing tracks were there for all to hear.
The set was-(not in order!)
Ship Of Fools
Love To Hate You
Chorus
Oh L`Amour
Stop
Breath Of Life

Then the show went `live` on Radio Two at 8.30pm,to which McFly came on and did 3 songs,and then to many peoiples surprisde including me,Erasure returned to do Breathe & A Little Respect,by this time most of the E-fans had headed off to the pub!,poor Debi was on the motorway when she heard it!,but luckily i was still there as i was watching McFly with my daughter.

Andy did fluff his lyrics again,but can i remember which song?..........err no.
Manhattan Clique did a good job backing,but i was hoping for their own Erasure versions,but Chris did play along on a Korg Synth,with philip playing acoustic guitar & Roland SH101. Val & Anne-Marie were on backing vocal duty as usual.
It was great to see the old faces,Mooger & Ann-Lisbeth,Ewan & Donna,Kerri-Ann,Babs,ShazzaB,and my dancing partner Debi,much to the disgust of my daughter & her friend,well they did dance to McFly (i didn`t honest).

From Wonderland to the World Beyond
Pughie
Site Admin

Re: Blackpool Lights Switch On

Post by Pughie »

Blackpool marks 126th light year
Chris Evans
The illuminations run for 66 nights until 6 November
Blackpool lit up when DJ Chris Evans flicked the switch for its famous illuminations on Friday night.
Lights are stretching beyond the promenade for the first time in 126 years with a "festival of light".

The switch-on, adjacent to Coral Island, was broadcast live on Radio 2 - the station which will host Evans' new Saturday radio show.

Chart stars McFly, Rachel Stevens, Lee Ryan and Erasure performed live in an hour long show before the switch on.

Last year Blackpool celebrated the 125th anniversary of the free show. This year's illuminations mark the 125th anniversary of the invention of the light bulb by Thomas Edison.

An exhibition celebrating this, and the illuminations, is running at the Solaris centre in Blackpool.

ILLUMINATION HISTORY
The illuminations shine non-stop for 66 nights
Cable and wiring stretches more than 200 miles
The amount of electricity consumed costs about £50,000
Illuminations which have gone missing over the years include an Egyptian mummy and Lego men
The switch-on is always live when the button is pressed
A worker for Colonel Gadaffi tried to buy up all the illuminations
Famous "switchers" include Jayne Mansfield, Kermit the frog, Red Rum and Terry Wogan
This year's display includes the "They Shoot Horses Don't They?" artwork, which is a huge glitterball on the promenade, with 45,000 mirrored squares.

An Indian-made peacock featuring 135,000 coloured light bulbs - entitled Bajra - goes on display at the Winter Gardens from October.

Director of the Festival of Light, Philip Oakley, said: "Blackpool Illuminations are testament to the early pioneers of electricity and lighting.

"Their existence is a result of the ingenuity, ambition and creativity of people over one and a quarter centuries ago.

"The Festival of Light is about those same desires which push technological and creative boundaries forward."

From Wonderland to the World Beyond

Return to “Andy Bell Live Events”