How do you listen to your Erasure albums?

Erasure topics that just don't fit in the other forums!

What is your ideal way to listen to Erasure albums?

I like to listen to whichever album I'm in the mood for at the time, but always start to finish.
75%
I like to listen to the whole catalogue over the course of a few days, starting from Wonderland through present day.
No votes
I like to listen to Erasure playlists that I've made myself.
25%
I like to listen to all Erasure tracks on shuffle and don't usually listen to albums straight through anymore.
No votes

Total votes: 4

mrblue

How do you listen to your Erasure albums?

Post by mrblue »

In the buildup to the upcoming Chorus remaster, I've found myself holding off on listening to any tracks from the Chorus era in an effort to build suspense for myself. (I know, I know... it's sad!) I've also found that as I get older, it's much harder to listen to an album from beginning to end without at least one distraction of some kind. I have to often make time to simply sit and enjoy my music! I'm curious about everyone else's listening habits... Do people still listen to albums in this digital age?

All life distractions, money concerns and time management aside, what is your ideal way to get your E album(s) fix?

Pughie
Site Admin

Re: How do you listen to your Erasure albums?

Post by Pughie »

I like to listen in the car to get the full effect cranked up loud,but also with headphones as you get more sounds popping out when you don’t expect them.
But I do like to listen on my iPod. It’s rare I skip tracks but certain ones I do skip. That’s the good point of skipping a well known album you know exactly where to jump to.

From Wonderland to the World Beyond
Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier »

I will listen to an album in its entirety as if watching a classic film as often as I can. A favorite time is spending an hour making the best of a rainy weekend (I really like contemplating the rain while listening to music, and Erasure especially). But, as many do, I listen to the boys on the go, and have playlists of tracks to fit less contemplative moods, such as rushing to get to an appointment, killing time between meetings, and blocking out inane conversations of who's sitting next to me on the train. ;)

"Erasure message board code was written into my DNA during conception" :punch:
davekcmo

Post by davekcmo »

Ultimately, I do all of the above. I love collecting all of the different formats. Some days I'll put on an Erasure MiniDisc mix or album, some days I'm in the mood to switch sides on vinyl or cassette, and when I'm commuting I'll listen to an iTunes playlist (never Spotify!) of my favorite tracks. I even have playlists of all B-sides and album tracks. I even made an 8-track mix, but I really have to be in the mood for that. One long winter I listened to every 12" in chronological order over a few days.

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier »

Kudos for still rocking the MD. :)

I will play my vinyl "play" copies at times, but I'm very conscious of the degrading action of a stylus or tape head on their corresponding media and just don't end up putting my rarities on the spindle or capstans. I'm less certain of the abrasion of lasers on layers of poly-carbonate, but I really just don't spin those rarities that I have on hand in FLAC.

8-Track, though...I wonder what you'd do if there were a home wax cylinder recorder.

Oh, crap.

I wonder if Daniel Barassi knows about this... :lol:

mrfirst

Post by mrfirst »

I listen to my erasure collection a very long winded way I start with wonderland then listen to all the single formats 7 inch/12/inch/remixes/imports etc then listen to the numerous concerts I have on mp3 for that album,then I will move on to the circus and so on cos I don't have the time like I used to it takes me a while to get to world be gone(2 years it took me to listen to the whole collection)and then I start again.but I do listen to the odd album when I'm in the mood,also currently I'm just getting in to the early Madonna albums

mrblue

Post by mrblue »

Good stuff, love all the responses. That's awesome you still pull out the mini-discs @davekcmo. And I agree Tin that albums should ideally be enjoyed like a classic movie - you've gotta make the time to quietly sit and enjoy it.

@mrfirst, that's certainly the best way to go! I try to do that once a year: listen to all albums of a band I love from earliest to most recent. It's easy to do with The Beatles (relatively finite catalog), but with Erasure it does get tricky since they have so many singles, EPs, etc.

As a quick side note: I received an email from Lexer today saying my Chorus has been dispatched. Getting pretty damn excited!

Tin Soldier
Site Admin

Post by Tin Soldier »

mrblue wrote: Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:57 pmAs a quick side note: I received an email from Lexer today saying my Chorus has been dispatched. Getting pretty damn excited!
Same! :drink:

Return to “Erasure Chat”