Your questions answered
10 posts • Page 1 of 1
01. You first worked for Erasure in 2007 on the 'Storm Chaser EP', how did that come about?
02. You did two remixes on that EP the 'Golden Heart GRN's Golden Glow Extended & 7" Mixes)' & 'When A Lover Leaves You (GRN Remix)' How did you approach these remixes, what was your vision for them?
GRN-A friend introduced me to Shaun at Mute back in 2007 as i'd already done a remix for a Future Retro compilation for Sire Records,prior to that I did a remix of A Little Respect on there but they originally asked me to do Sucker For Love, but I wanted to do Golden Heart & then I think I just did When A Lover Leaves You for fun really, but then I had this really good idea for Glass Angel so I ended up remixing that as well so I had 3 remixes for that package which was a lot of fun actually.
03. Two years later you re-appeared with the 'A Little Respect (GRN's Respectful Radio Edit)' that must have been a daunting task remixing such an iconic Erasure track?
GRN-When I did the remix for A Little Respect (Future Retro) i already had the parts for that, and i actually did that myself around the time I did the one for Future Retro,and then when this whole thing came about I sent it over to the chap who ran the EIS (Greg) and he loved it and wanted to include it ,so yeah it was the second time I'd remixed the track and yes it was very daunting but like my true GRN fashion I like to be respectful to the original so obviously i've done some remixes that wander quite a bit like the Glass Angel remix but I do like to stay quite true to the originals.
04. Around the same time you also had two remixes out for the 'Pop! Remixed' project, but this time you changed your remix name to 'Dogmatix' for the 'Drama! (Dogmatix Dramatical Dub)' & the 'Phantom Bride (Dogmatix 12" Tearless Mix)' is there any reason for the name change?,plus do you know why the vocal mix of Drama! still hasn't surfaced?
GRN- Yes Pop! Remixed I already had an existing project called 'Dogmatix'and obviously because I'd done a few GRN's I kind of wanted to do some under that alias, obviously being a big fan I still wanted to do those remixes as Dogmatix and also I had an alias called 'Soil In The Synth', so I did the Ship Of Fools (Soil In The Synth Remix) on that release which was on the CD ,Drama! yeah i'm not sure why but I remember sending the vocal & dub in and they seemed to think the dub version fit the package better, that's why I use the vocal as an exclusive in my DJ sets.
05. It was 5 years until you returned with the critically acclaimed album 'The Violet Flame',for this project you remixed 'Sacred (GRN Remix)' which appeared on the 'Reason' CD single, this track is a fan favourite as it is, what was your vision for the mix?
GRN- Yeah 'Sacred' when I heard that track I really, really liked it,so it just kind of fit the 'GRN' moniker again and I was very happy it made the 'Reason' CD single I just wanted to make it a little bit more 'pop' in a way, to make it a bit more epic, in a GRN way,I mean the original is a great track,i just felt there was a little more room for expansion so that was my vision I guess.
06. In 2015 you remixed 'Breathe (GRN's 12" remix)' for the 'Always The Best Of Erasure' this was a great faithful old school mix,do you prefer doing remixes like this or do you prefer adding your own original backing?
GRN- Obviously I love the original elements that Vince provides, when I start a remix I usually rebuild the original version from scratch anyway just as a process just to make it sound like it,then I start to dissect it so, I love doing the traditional 12" extended versions etc, but equally I like to take out the drum & bass elements and to rebuild, thats the job of a good remixer really so either way its fun to be fair depending on what the song seems like it needs.
In 2016 for the From Moscow To Mars Anthology we had ‘The Circus (Equalateral Mix)’.
07. 2016 brought you out of the shadows to appear as a guest DJ at the 'From Moscow To Mars Party' in Birmingham where you did a set of unique unreleased GRN mixes along with the above mentioned 'Breathe' remix, the set went down a storm with the fans,how was this event for you?
GRN- Yes this was a very special moment in my whole career really,i mean i’ve done lots of stuff I've worked with lots of artists and acts that I respect & admire, when I found out about this event I was speaking to Richard EIS & Shaun (Mute) and obviously I had all these exclusive mixes so I just thought it would be a great idea to DJ,I found out that Vince & Andy were going to DJ,and thought they might need someone else quite possibly, so I offered my services to that event and it was pretty unreal,obviously all the fans really enjoyed it. It was quite a surreal event i’d met Andy & Vince before a couple of times but not for a long period of time and then to be sort of sitting there in the back room with literally those two and Val & Emma the backing vocalists who were so lovely, yeah and just chatting to Vince about equipment & stuff ,then when he went up to DJ he's like "Can you just show me quickly how to use the mixer?", I just went 'that one and that one" and he just went "oh good I just want to play one track & then another track, not mix" and yeah that was a lot of fun,a lot of fun indeed.
08. In 2017 you returned with 'Oh What A World (GRN Remix)’ which appeared on the 'World Be Gone' CD single,it must be nice knowing that the band are happy with your remixes to keep asking you?,plus it must have been quite hard to make a dancier version of a track from what was quite a deep and thought provoking album that isn't in the usual hi NRG vein of most of Erasure's output?
GRN-Yes its very nice to be asked to do another mix 'Oh What A World',that was a great one to do it was a little bit of a challenge, like you say in the question, but it really came out well I think im really proud of that one.
09. This year 2020 had the 'Am I Right? (Glen Nicholls Extended 12" Mix)' coming out with your real name in the title, for what many fans think is the best Erasure album, what does this album mean to you as a fan?,and was this track given to you to remix or did you choose to do it?
GRN- Well 'Chorus' for me was a pinnacle of my schooling years I remember being on a bus on the way to school, the radio was on & they had an exclusive of the new Erasure single, and I remember hearing it and shouting at everyone to be quiet because I wanted to hear it and and by the end of the first chorus I was just singing it and I knew it was a great great track,and then obviously 'Love To Hate You' being on holiday & buying that single waiting for that to come out,'Am I Right?' that came out around Christmas time, and yes it was a very memorable special release and then going to see them on tour after that was pretty amazing, so when it came to finding out there was going to be a 'Chorus' reissue I reached out to Shaun (Mute) to say “look I have to do something because .... I just have to because its a pinnacle album for me”, and initially I think I was going to do a different track I can't quite remember what track it was now, but I said 'Am I Right?' was one of my favourite tracks of Erasure so I thought I kind of have to do this.
The brief was to do a classic 12" type remix so I studied the Dave Bascome version,the sounds,I researched what equipment he used and tried to mimic that, and rebuild the track because obviously when you get the multitracks that are taken from the original tape machines not like the post mixed versions you get now, when you get the stems they've already been mixed & processed and everything, you get all the vocals treated and all the drums sound the same, you literally press play and it sounds like the record, but back then with old stems before they went to the mixing desk obviously they were straight from the tapes, I had to rebuild it section by section,and then get this overall sound of the original Dave Bascombe mix,and reconstruct it & extend it in the right way, but im very very happy with that version I love it.
10. Finally a couple of weeks ago in these days of isolation you recreated your From Moscow To Mars DJ set live on FaceBook,what was your reaction to the fan response to the event?,plus you are about to do another show,are we going to have another Erasure-fest in a different show or will you follow the best of route,with the 2nd half your unreleased mixes again?
GRN- Obviously everything went a bit wonky with the world didn't it,so I see many people online doing DJ mixes so I kind of thought it would be a good time to replay those remixes from the shows,yeah that was the idea behind the show. It was a lot of fun, it wasn't very well recorded, i’m sort of new to this online streaming thing, I’m hoping next week it will be a lot better, so I might kind of play the set a little bit more expanded, there are a few little secret weapons lying around, I could sneak in and yes regarding them being released i’ve just guessed it's not the right time.
10.2- Ive mentioned the un-released mixes a couple of times, now for the question we've all been wondering (you know what's coming) do you ever think these mixes will be made available?
GRN- I mean obviously thats down to the guys themselves,being put into a package that works for their release schedule,in-between albums would be a good time,but obviously they are gearing up for the next one, so I don't know maybe I shall just keep using them in my DJ sets when we can eventually have parties & can play them live and dance around, lets see anyway .... thanks for asking me to do these questions or the answers rather!,it was really good fun and look forward to seeing you all on Saturday ..... online obviously ... take care.
Glen Nicholls - Erasure / Andy Bell / Yazoo / Yaz- Remixography
01 2005 Andy Bell 'I'll Never Fall In Love Again (Jaded Alliance Mix)'
02 2005 Erasure 'Here I Go Impossible Again (Jaded Alliance Remix)' * Un-released
03 2006 Yaz 'Situation (Future Funk Squad's Downstairs @ Fabric Mix)'
04 2006 Erasure 'A Little Respect (Jaded Alliance 'Electrospect' Remix)'
05 2007 Erasure 'Golden Heart (GRN's 'Golden Glow' Radio Edit)'
06 2007 Erasure 'Golden Heart (GRN's Golden Glow Remix)'
07 2007 Erasure 'Glass Angel (Equalateral Mix)'
08 2007 Erasure 'Glass Angel (Equalateral Dub)' * Un-released
09 2008 Yazoo 'Don't Go (Future Funk Squad Remix)' * Promo CD-r Only
10 2008 Yazoo 'Nobody's Diary (GRN's 12" Remix)'
11 2008 Yazoo 'Nobody's Diary (Soil In The Synth remix)'
12 2009 Erasure 'A Little Respect (GRN's 'Respectful' Radio Mix)'
13 2009 Erasure 'Phantom Bride (Dogmatix's 'Tearless Mix)'
14 2009 Erasure 'Drama! (Dogmatix Dramatical Dub)'
15 2009 Erasure 'Drama! (Dogmatix Dramatical Vocal Mix)' * Un-released
16 2009 Erasure ‘Ship Of Fools (Soil In The Synth Remix)’
17 2014 Erasure 'Sacred (GRN Remix)'
18 2015 Erasure 'Breathe (GRN's 'Anticipated' 12" Re-Mix)'
19 2016 Erasure 'The Circus (Equalateral Mix)'
20 2017 Erasure ‘Oh What A World (GRN Remix)’
21 2020 Erasure 'Am I Right? (Glen Nicholls Remix)'
From Moscow To Mars Exclusive Mix DJ Set
Most of these mixes were exclusive un-released remixes by GRN played at the FMTM Fan Party and Glen's FaceBook live event
Breathe (GRN Mix)
Always (GRN Mix)
Ship Of Fools (GRN Mix)
Phantom Bride (GRN's 12" Mix) *Not played at FMTM Party as time restraints
Victim Of Love (GRN's 7" Mix)
Oh L'Amour (GRN Mix)
Chorus (GRN Mix)
Blue Savannah (GRN Mix)
Drama! (Dogmatix's Dramatical Vocal Mix)
A Little Respect (GRN Mix)
Erasure4rum would like to say a big thank you to Glen Nicholls aka 'GRN' / 'Dogmatix' / 'Soil In The Synth' / 'Jaded Alliance' / 'Future Funk squad' for his time and answers to our latest 'Ask' feature.
https://www.facebook.com/Soil-In-the-Sy ... 952380696/
GRN will being doing another DJ Set this Saturday.
From Wonderland to the World Beyond
The very first one was ‘Ask Andy’,but we have many in the Ask section from Manhattan Clique,Torsten,Shelter & other Erasure related artists like Breathe Of My Leaves & Matthias.
Check them out-
From Wonderland to the World Beyond
From Wonderland to the World Beyond