PE Tour Backing Tracks

The biggest and most lavish tour doing residencies at the Hammersmith & Manchester Apollo's
AaronLancs

PE Tour Backing Tracks

Post by AaronLancs »

Hi there,

I hope someone who knows of the intricates of who these things work could help me out. How would these have been played on the night? Would it have been a Front of House deal? And also would any signals from Vince or FoH been sent to start these tapes?

Sorry to ask some right nerdy but synthy sorts of questions.

Regards,

Aaron.

Pughie
Site Admin

Re: PE Tour Backing Tracks

Post by Pughie »

AaronLancs wrote: Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:47 pm Hi there,

I hope someone who knows of the intricates of who these things work could help me out. How would these have been played on the night? Would it have been a Front of House deal? And also would any signals from Vince or FoH been sent to start these tapes?

Sorry to ask some right nerdy but synthy sorts of questions.

Regards,

Aaron.
I’m no expert but would’ve thought it would be front of house/sound desk as if there is a problem with Vince & the tank he might have problems starting a new backing track.

From Wonderland to the World Beyond
AaronLancs

Post by AaronLancs »

I'd love to have asked the FoH guy in that behind the scenes video did he start the tape and then send a signal to Vince to say when to start on his end in the Tank.

kwerty

Post by kwerty »

AaronLancs wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:23 pm I'd love to have asked the FoH guy in that behind the scenes video did he start the tape and then send a signal to Vince to say when to start on his end in the Tank.
No. As I understand it, the backing tapes were used instead of Vince doing anything - not both - so he's not waiting for a cue. It was either one or the other. The tapes were only used in emergency breakdowns.

They were for emergency back-up use only, for times when Vince's sequencer 'crashed' - so Vince wouldn't be waiting for a signal to start something. The tape would play, Andy, the backing vocalists and the dancers get on with performing the song while Vince is waiting for his system to reboot.

On a perfect night, the backing tapes were not meant to be used at all.

AaronLancs

Post by AaronLancs »

Thanks, just that at one time I had the Manchester Apollo recording of "The Erasure Show" compact disc - where the synth gave up on Ship Of Fools, if I recall - and given that this is a lot bigger I would have hated fo the synths to crash halfway through a song, and thought these would be playing ready to move the faders up at a moments notice just in case.

kwerty

Post by kwerty »

AaronLancs wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:39 pm the synth gave up on Ship Of Fools, if I recall - and given that this is a lot bigger I would have hated fo the synths to crash halfway through a song, and thought these would be playing ready to move the faders up at a moments notice just in case.
I haven't heard that recording so I can't comment specifically on it, but my assumption is that if the synths crash part-way into a song then they just start again from the start using the backing tape - although that might have depended on how far into it they had got. If it was well into the song then my guess is they would just continue acapella. I could be wrong, but I doubt they would have the tape running silently in sync ready to switch to just in case the synths cut off.

AaronLancs

Post by AaronLancs »

kwerty wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:12 pm
AaronLancs wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:39 pm the synth gave up on Ship Of Fools, if I recall - and given that this is a lot bigger I would have hated fo the synths to crash halfway through a song, and thought these would be playing ready to move the faders up at a moments notice just in case.
I haven't heard that recording so I can't comment specifically on it, but my assumption is that if the synths crash part-way into a song then they just start again from the start using the backing tape - although that might have depended on how far into it they had got. If it was well into the song then my guess is they would just continue acapella. I could be wrong, but I doubt they would have the tape running silently in sync ready to switch to just in case the synths cut off.
Well from what I recall, given that Vince uses a guitar on that one it became an impromptu 'acoustic' version.

kwerty

Post by kwerty »

AaronLancs wrote: Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:40 pm Well from what I recall, given that Vince uses a guitar on that one it became an impromptu 'acoustic' version.
Ah okay... I sort missed the bit where you said it was during the Erasure Show tour and thought you were talking about the Phantasmagorical tour...

Yeah, I don't think backing tapes were a thing on ALL tours - I think it was probably just for the Phantasmagorical Entertainment tour.

I think also by the time of Nightbird Vince was using very different (and much more modern) computer and sequencer equipment which was much less prone from crashing (though not guaranteed obviously!). But also, my guess is that production costs were probably much lower and doing emergency backing tapes possibly didn't figure into it for subsequent tours.

Return to “Phantasmagorical Entertainment (1992)”